Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Admiralty Head #196190 10/06/06 11:57 AM
Lighthouse Loon Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
With the release of Admiralty Head as a Regional Event Limited Edition, I was wondering if HL will release other "Repeats" in coming years?

I know many don't want anymore repeats, but the models are more detailed now. I would like to see some of the older HL LE's redone with the greater detail.

Amiralty Head is a good example, I like the original, but 694 has excellent detail.

The GLOW's are nice, but they could be a little bigger.

I would love to see Sandy Hook and Barnegat redone at the LE size. Minot Ledge is another. smile

Taking nothing away from the originals. I just like the detail of the newer models. It's the number one reason I collect Harbour Lights.

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Admiralty Head #196191 10/06/06 01:11 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
The Admiralty Head regional event was made to commemorate the differences in Harbour Lights First LE verses the high quality work of today’s model. Kind of a then and now. This was suggested by one of our Modest Forum members.

The Point Fermin was redone because of many requesting a figurine with the new renovated look, which is more like what the original lighthouse looks like.
The Portland Head with snow was requested on this forum.
The Hatteras and Southeast Block were both redone to commemorate the moving of the lighthouses.
The St Augustine was redone twice. Once to show it being restored to commemorate its 25th anniversary and the other was for the St Augustine Regional event.

In general, there is no plan to redo all the popular Lights in an other limited edition,
However, probably as different events happen and as different request are presented to Harbour Lights you will see an occasional L.E. remade.
I think you will see around two remakes a year.

I think you can depend on it, that the Sandy Hook will be re-made in the next five years

DANIEL
Re: Admiralty Head #196192 10/06/06 07:30 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
I hope they only remake them as GLOW's.. In fact that is what Pt Fermin almost was...

NO MORE LIMITED REMAKES EVER AGAIN!!!!

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Admiralty Head #196193 10/06/06 07:42 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
I wouldn't bet on it, and besides the secondary market shows it doesn't matter anyway. There is no market, so you better like them for their historical value, imho.

Re: Admiralty Head #196194 10/07/06 10:50 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
NO MORE LIMITED REMAKES EVER AGAIN!!!!
Quote:
I wouldn't bet on it, and besides the secondary market shows it doesn't matter anyway. There is no market, so you better like them for their historical value, imho.
Part of me echoes those sentiments while another part of me realizes the realities involved in offering quality collectibles to collectors. I'm a member of the old-time collectors and would love to see the practice of "one light/one limited edition only" carry on forever, but we already know that isn't going to happen. We bought into that several years ago, but as Dylan sang, "The times they are a changing...".

Are we selfish? Are we only thinking of our personal collecting needs? What about a new collector who really wants a great replica of Admiralty Head? Should old-time collectors tell them to buy the small rather expensive HL101 and live with it?

Admit it, the new version of Admiralty Head is an extremely well-done HL. Any lover of that light would be proud to add it to his or her collection. Would the purchaser of the new version ever be interested in hunting down and buying the original? I would guess, probably not.

The collectors of old are a dying breed. This select group is not dead yet, but have been severely reduced in numbers. Our network of traditional HL collectors gets smaller each year. The new generation doesn't quite feel like the old-timers. The passion isn't being passed on to the new folks in general. Most new people much rather buy what they like and leave it at that. They don't find each and every new release as interesting as when this whole show began back in the early nineties. Think what you may but this is now a fact of business life for Harbour Lights. Are they caught between a rock and a hard place? There is a delicate balance of making a buck and keeping the faithful followers of HL's happy. So far, I would give Harbour Lights a passing grade in maintaining that balance.

cool Bob cool

Re: Admiralty Head #196195 10/07/06 03:52 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
I have no knowledge of how well the Admiralty Head Regional Event piece is selling, but I wouldn't be surprised it it ends up with a relatively low production run.

Only two regionals this year. (Of course you don't have to be there to buy one.)

Re: Admiralty Head #196196 10/07/06 05:43 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
I haven't given this new Harbour Lights a passing grade at anything yet. I am giving them a 1 year pass to do something different than the Younger's did. It seems status quo so far and I dont think that could excite any new collectors. Shake it up Harbour Lights. All I read is excuses for the state of the collectibles market in the recent Newsletter. Thats all old news, Harbour Lights should try to respond to it. Making redos is not the answer, its part of the problem, imho. Buy them cause you love them!

Re: Admiralty Head #196197 10/09/06 11:09 AM
BeaconBob Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I've been anxiously awaiting the new Collector's Book to get an idea of what is out there. Sure, I go to their website but it is a bit daunting to figure out what is still available and what isn't.
For me, space is a big consideration. I want to collect alot of the LE pieces but then where do I display them? Of course, there is the cost factor. Right now, I'm very selective of what pieces I am buying. However, the smaller TLLOM series fits both concerns real well and has addressed the problem for me personally. I hope that they keep increasing the different variety of lights in that line and fill in the gaps of the missing lights they haven't done yet.

As far as me getting the LE Admiralty Head light, I don't know. Only if I begin to collect all of them or if I go to see it.

BB

Bob J ~ 65 Lighthouses, 2 Lightships, 25 Life Saving Stations Visited ~
"I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
John 8:12
Re: Admiralty Head #196198 10/09/06 04:45 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
BB: at the Harbour Lights Home Page, on the left, under "Products", click on "Available Lighthouses".

Then you can click on the "Limited Editions" from the page that comes up.

This shows images of all of the currently available pieces (limited editions in this case) and a few recently retired items that should still be available at dealers.

The thumbnail images are arranged alphabetically by name of lighthouse and in the left margin is a list arranged by state or country.

Some may notice that the way in which Harbour Lights products are presented has changed over the last couple of years. In the past, most items were listed by product number, now they are listed by product name.

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rock), 832 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users