Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
States due for a Harbour Light LE #195940 02/15/07 05:20 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
So when was the last time your state had a Harbour Lights LE released.

Going from oldest to newest. (Over 3 years)

If you live in:

Vermont - 1996 (that was a Christmas edition)
Illinois - 1998 (but there is a 2007 GLOW)
Georgia - 1999 (but had a GLOW in 2005)
Hawaii - 1999 (but had GLOW's in 2002 & 2003)
Alaska - 2000
Louisiana - 2000
Mississippi- 2000
Indiana - 2001 (Christmas Edition)
Minnesota - 2003
Maryland - 2004 (but had a GLOW in 2005)
New Jersey - 2004

All the other states with coasts have had a LE in the last 3 years.

LE's = Limited Editions, Christmas Editions, Special Editions, Society Editions.

(Please correct me if I'm wrong with any of the info)

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: States due for a Harbour Light LE #195941 02/15/07 06:10 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Not going to challenge which states may be "due" for a light, but let's look at the practical side of things:

Starting close to home, Indiana has had both of it's generally known lights replicated. The other 3 lights in Indiana are often considered industrial lights and are not seen often since they are on the ends of very long breakwaters in industrial areas.

Illinois has had it's two well known lights made. There are two others - the Southesat Guidewall light, while cute, is a box on stilts. Waukeegan Harbor is missing it's lantern room and fog signal and is really nothing to look at.

Minnestoa has Duluth left and could also look at possibly Minnestoa Point in it's better days.

Georgia is missing only the Sapelo Island Range and the Little Cumberland Island Light. Both are not well known and not often seen.

Mississippi has had it's two lights made.

Louisiana has a few left, but several of the cooler ones are history or close to history.

Vermont has some that are now becoming known because of their restoration and return to service.

Alaska and Hawaii are fertile grounds, but if you are going for ones seen by a number of people both of these states present problems.

Maryland and New Jersey still have a few to be made, more if you go after ones that have departed for the great depot in the sky.

Which approach do we think HL may take? (1) Make lights for the sake of making a light (2) Make lights that may be seen more often and thus are better known (3) Make lights that are cool even if they are not seen often for whatever reason or are no longer standing?

Re: States due for a Harbour Light LE #195942 02/15/07 07:00 PM
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Dave, Great analysis of my data!!! You basicly came up with the same opinion as me.

As for what direction HL will take, hopefully releasing lighthouse that will keep all the collectors happy. May it be those who collect them all, collect the ones they visit, collect areas that interest them, collect areas the've lived or were station at, etc.

Just wanted to point out some states that could use a lighthouse or two released in the next couple years.

Stan M
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: States due for a Harbour Light LE #195943 02/15/07 07:42 PM
TDSimpson Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Considering there is still a ton of Michigan lights left to release I would say another one from there is due. How well do the Michigan lights really sell though. The most popular ones I think have already been released. In my opinion there will be a mixture of new never released lights but more importantly for Harbour Lights I think they will dabble more in the re-releasing of remade popular lights as has been done with Portland Head and Bodie. Can another Cape Hatteras model be too far off? We all know they are going to have to make something that they can sell a lot of just to supplement the slower selling pieces. A new line such as Re-Glow or Limited Edition Part 2-The Remakes? Only time will tell. I do think the lower production numbers have created a little spark again.

Tom

Re: States due for a Harbour Light LE #195944 02/15/07 11:00 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If they are "NEW" releases I will buy. If they are "New" releases or as I refer to them "remakes of oldies but goodies", no thanks. I understand why remakes of certain lighthouses are made and that's to do with the gift shops in these popular areas, ie. Portland Head, Cape Hatteras, St. Augustine etc. Would not making lighthouses with low edition numbers make more sense? Take a look at Grand Isle East Channel- 1500 edition and more likely approaching retired status. Popularity has much to do with a HL being remade and it's just for this reason I surrendered my autoship #. Do I really need 6 Cape Hatteras or 5 St. Auggies? Space and money do dictate need as does common sense for me. Let's hear it for the "newbies", Ponham Rocks, Thatcher's Island etc. If a HL "floats my boat" I buy it. What state it's located in is irrelevant. What is relevant is uniqueness.

Re: States due for a Harbour Light LE #195945 02/15/07 11:25 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Tom, I believe Tony and HL have indicated they do not plan to revisit lights already made as LEs. I do believe they realize the issues this creates with upset collectors and loss of value of the original release (be it a real or perceived loss of value).

Re: States due for a Harbour Light LE #195946 06/09/07 12:11 PM
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Figured this would be a good time to bring this tread back up to the top.

Tomorrow will be the offical announcement of the 2007 second half releases.

Hopefully we can update a couple states who need some attension.

Maryland, Minnesota, & New Jersey could use a new LE released. There are some other states, but as Dave had mentioned, there ain't many lights in those states.

I know if theres a Hawaii, Vermont, or Alaska release, there will be some happy forum members as well.

Less than one day till we know. laugh cool

Stan M
Re: States due for a Harbour Light LE #195947 06/09/07 02:20 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Maryland, Minnesota, New Jersey, Hawaii, Vermont and Alaska lighthouse fans will all be disappointed around midnight tonight. frown

(Well Maryland fans who like Thomas Point already have something to be happy about.) wink

Fans of lighthouses in Washington and Connecticut will be happy. :p

And fans of lighthouses in New York and Massachusetts will be twice as happy. laugh

GLOW fans from Michigan, Ohio and Maine will be lit up. eek

That's the view from the Lantern Room now with another 11 hours and 40 minutes to go.

vhappy

Re: States due for a Harbour Light LE #195948 06/09/07 06:00 PM
AZlightkeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Looking forward to this, interested in the MA Lights! A little bummed about AK, was hoping for Five Fingers, to go with the stamp release.

Jim
Re: States due for a Harbour Light LE #195949 06/09/07 06:42 PM
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
I guess the MD, MN, & NJ fans will be looking forward to the 2008 first half releases. I think some FL & ME folks might be a little disapointed as well.

We will be hoping that the HL Marketing department won't neglect us the next go-round.

But I very happy for the northern MA, Lake Onterio NY, WA, & CT lighthouse fans!!!

Edited in: All hope is not lost..yet... There is one more LE and an Anchor Bay coming out in September. We must start praying to HL gods bow to answer our wishes. bow

Stan M
Re: States due for a Harbour Light LE #195950 06/09/07 08:06 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
If the stamp set is going to happen, it won't be introduced with this round. It would take Five Fingers AK PLUS Umpqua River OR to be introduced as Little Lights.

Still not out of the question, just not this upcoming round of releases.

6 more hours. No more guesses from those NY, MA, CT and WA limited edition fans? One of those states is going to generate the Christmas 2007 edition - which one? Which light?

Re: States due for a Harbour Light LE #195951 06/09/07 09:02 PM
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
We're all trying to be patient and wait a few more hours. Don't want to get stressed and end up in a hospital. wink

Stan M
Re: States due for a Harbour Light LE #195952 06/09/07 11:05 PM
CAVR Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
whew.... a lot of hints posted above in the past day. I think I am starting to have a mild case of chest pain but not sure.....

New York! How about a "gone but not forgotten" Shinnecock, NY?

Maine GLOW! Hummmmmm, how about either Bass Harbor, Cape Elizebeth, or Rockland?

Can't wait... the clock is ticking down

-Christopher
"CAVR"
Re: States due for a Harbour Light LE #195953 06/09/07 11:19 PM
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Christopher, the NY one's are way further to the north. And you are zeroing in on the Maine Glow.

Stan M
Re: States due for a Harbour Light LE #195954 06/09/07 11:57 PM
bright eyes Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
MA. 2007 Christmas edition. Which lighthouse? laugh

Re: States due for a Harbour Light LE #195955 06/10/07 12:13 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
What the heck!

It must be midnight somewhere!

www.HarbourLights.com

Hope you find a favorite among the latest and greatest from Harbour Lights!

Closing this thread and opening discussions on the new LEs and GLOWs.

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,309 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users