cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195427 07/30/07 10:54 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Harbour Lights has once again accepted our proposal to create a unique limited edition replica for sale exclusively by the Collector Forums.

The work team that started in 2005 and brought about the Erie Land Light which was introduced in 2006 has been reactivated with two additional members and has already begun working on the project.

Here's a list of our team members (in alphabetical order):

John Chidester (Webmaster)
Rich Felter (flacoastie)
Dave Hannum (Dave H)
Sandy Jennings (Sandy)
Daniel Kirsch (DANIEL)
Bob McKeon (Bob M)
Bob Ott (Bob Ott)
Cyndi Reeder (Cyndi)
Mike Walsh (CanaFan)

I'm sure there are a lot of questions and, over time, we'll be able to answer them all.

Here are our objectives for 2008: An edition size of 500. A replica similar in size and scale to the Erie Land Light. We anticipate the price will be a bit higher, but won't know precisely until we've actually selected a light so Harbour Lights can quote us a firm price. We'll take deposits with orders as we did in 2005/2006.

We expect to deliver the light to buyers in the second half of 2008. (Note that this time span is six months in length!) We expect to use the same system to distribute the lowest numbers to early orders. (After an initial ordering period, we had a lottery drawing matching the numbers with buyers.) We'll hold back a few of the single digit pieces for later raffles or auctions.

In 2005, the Work Team asked for and received suggestions from Collector Forums members on which light to make. We also developed some suggestions of our own. Once the suggestion period was over, we conducted a poll to help us prioritize which lights we would submit to Harbour Lights.

We're going to do that again. Collector Forums Members (including Work Team members) are welcome to suggest any United States Lighthouse, past or present, which meets the following criteria:

SELECTION CRITERIA: (These guidelines are based on selling price specifications, acceptability to Harbour Lights and appeal to potential buyers.)

1. Not already made as a limited edition or GLOW
2. Scale about like Cockspur & Erie Land Light (up to 6" tall)
3. Either a tower alone or a smaller building/house with an integrated light such as Big Red or Haig Point, etc.
4. Not likely to be made by Harbour Lights in a larger edition size
5. An interesting light with appeal to collectors
6. It could be a light still standing or one from the past

We'll be guided by your suggestions and the poll; however, the team be making the final decision based on our research and discussions on the pros and cons of each suggestion as well as discussions with Harbour Lights.

When you post a suggested light, please provide a BRIEF idea on why you'd like to see it made as the 2008 Collector Forum Exclusive and provide a LINK to a page with pictures of the light.

You can include a photograph of the light ONLY if it is your own photograph (to avoid copyright infringement issues.) If you have a photo but don't know how to display it, email the photo to Dave Hannum or myself and we'll add it to your post.

We'll keep this thread open for nominations until August 15, then close the nominations, post a simple poll and move forward with the process.

We plan once again to keep CF members informed as we see first the design of the selected lighthouse, then the wax sculpture and finally the paint sample.

In posting to this thread, please be positive and focus on your suggestions without being critical of suggestions by others.

Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195428 07/30/07 12:17 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Jones Point River Light

This is a plain light but I am positive Harry could really turn it around to be pretty neat looking. It has a lot of history and is located near to our Capital. It is the size we are looking for in an exclusive. Even though it is centrally located, it is set back from the road and it is not a traditional looking lighthouse. Because of all of this, it is not one of the most popular lights and I thinK we have a shot at HL letting us produce it in a low production of 500. It is a river light and it does have its own web site and support group. Just Ask Ericlighthouse

http://jonespoint.garoux.net/

DANIEL
Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195429 07/30/07 12:23 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Here are some suggestions for the next CF Exclusive.

I've attached the links as I don't own current photo's of these lighthouses. (Except for Bergen Point)

New Jersey (of course!!!)

Bergen Point (Gone but not forgoten)

Miah Maull Shoal

Romer Shoal

Delaware

Harbor of Refuge

Delaware Breakwater

Minnesota

Minnesota Point Lighthouse

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195430 07/30/07 01:49 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I like the Doubling Point Light in the Kennebec River of Maine.

As seen from across the river.

A closer view.

The Keeper's House - about 100 yards back from shore. The house would not be possible to include in a CF exclusive. But the light with at least one section of the small walking bridge is neat and should stand on its own in the competition.

More information at Friends of Doubling Point .

Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195431 07/30/07 02:16 PM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Since Hawaii is one of my favorite places to visit...I would love to see Makapuu Point made into the Collector Forums exclusive.

Makapuu Point is only 46 feet tall but sits almost 400 feet above sea level. What makes this lighthouse unique is it's hyper-radiant lens. It was the largest lens used in the United States...it's about 8 1/2 feet tall on the inside.

I know a lot of collector forum members enjoy traveling to Hawaii so let's vote for another Hawaiian lighthouse. applaud

Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195432 07/30/07 07:03 PM
sandy Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Think West Point Light, Hudson River, NY (a lost light) fits the criteria and could include the fog bell. I may be able to get better photos from their historical society.

This link will get you to the only place I found on the Web that had a picture:

http://hometown.aol.com/thelightkeeper/HudsonRiverLightkeepers.html

Forgot to include that making this sculpture would go toward completing a Hudson River series.

Sandy

Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195433 07/30/07 07:55 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
DANIEL has agreed to moderate this special Forum and may add Internet links to pages to the posts of others.

Thanks, Daniel.

Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195434 07/30/07 11:55 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
How about a Florida Light?
Yes; there is still a few that hasn't been made.
This lighthouse is younger than most of us, being built in 1954 and is considered the newest lighthouse. Small in stature, made of concrete and sits up on a man made hill. When it comes to lighthouses, it is Florida's least popular light. Probably since, it is on a Navy base and hard to access. I doubt it will ever be considered for a high production L.E. run.

Mayport Lighthouse

DANIEL
Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195435 07/31/07 12:01 AM
Rusty Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I will throw in two.. Both long gone.
(1) Frank's Island, LA

Here is a picture: http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-cp/history/WEBLIGHTHOUSES/franksisland1816latrobe.jpg and a link to the history of it: http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-cp/history/WEBLIGHTHOUSES/LHLA.html . It didn't last long, sank in the mud. Probably a little too much detail for this situation.

Being that you are looking for a "cockspure" size version I love the looks of:

Sullivan's Island Channel Front Range.. Here is a picture of it: http://www.angelfire.com/va3/keepthelightsshining/uscgphotos/Sullivans_Island_Ranges.jpg

Just my "two cents" uhhh "two picks"!

Rusty smile

Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195436 07/31/07 01:54 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Harbour Lights made Sullivan's Island Range while you were away from the CF, Rusty. Welcome back!

http://www.harbourlights.com/catalog/2006/sullivans_island.htm

Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195437 07/31/07 03:24 AM
Weasel58 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I've always liked Trinidad Head Lighthouse in CA. Meets the criteria. Small in size, not likely to be made, neat little light.

Trinidad Head

Eric
Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195438 07/31/07 09:55 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Hopefully, Bob Scroope can help me out with a couple of pictures of what I would nominate for a possible 2nd CF Exclusive. This particular light came to mind because it is somewhat of a simple light, yet beautiful. One would think that Harbour Lights may not be making this one because it is somewhat secluded, and may not be a good large edition seller.

I nominate Little Gull Island Light, NY. Little Gull Island is approximately seven miles northeast of Orient Point Light, at the North Fork of Long Island. There is an abundance of lighthouse enthusiasts in this area of Long Island and nearby lower New England States. It is my opinion that this light would sell out the needed 500 edition size in a short period of time.

This light fits the bill! Who's with me? "Long Island Bob", can you help "Block Island Bob" out with a couple of your special pics from your rare-opportunity visit to this treasure of the sound? Your participation may be the key to Little Gull Island receiving a favorable nod from the crowd.

Little Gull Island New York

smile Bob smile

While we are waiting on "Long Island Bob" I added a link

Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195439 07/31/07 11:02 AM
Cana Fan Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Wisconsin Point Wisconsin. A small oval shaped light at the end of a breakwater near Duluth

Wisconsin Point Lighthouse

Wisconsin point Lighthouse in the winter

I added the above links

Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195440 07/31/07 12:23 PM
kikigl Offline
I agree with you, Bob. Yhis was one of the lights we saw on our Long Island trip and I really liked it. I think it would be a great light for the Forums.

Kay
Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195441 07/31/07 03:12 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Wisconsin Point Light isn't that small in my opinon... It would be a wonderful light to do.. It has a very unique shape to it..

That is a person walking on the pier to provide a size relationship..

Terry Pepper\'s Wisconsin Point Web Page

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195442 07/31/07 08:08 PM
Bill and Judy Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I kind of like Daniel's rationale regarding the Mayport Light. It isn't that popular but it is a different shape. Also Wisconsin Point Light has a unique shape. I like the idea of doing one that is unique. Of course I'll probably get killed for this suggestion but what about Buffalo Bottle Light? It would be a great conversation piece!
Judy

Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195443 07/31/07 09:28 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
I certainly like the Prudence Island Lighthouse in Rhode Island. It's the size we need, very colorful and supported by a lighthouse group.

http://lighthouse.cc/prudence/index.html

I also like the Mayport Naval Station Lighthouse that Daniel suggested. We would have a one of a kind in this light as it is not open to the general public. I know that Daniel and I could get some pictures though, because I just happen to know a retired Coastie that could get some good pictures up close and from far away.

Rich
Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195444 07/31/07 10:10 PM
CAVR Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
John already took my first suggestion...

Doubling Point Light on the Kennebec River of Maine .

I can't agree with you more!! If I recall correctly, this light was mentioned during the first go-around for the collectors exclusive.

However, considering its size, the walking bridge, or at least a portion of the bridge would really set this piece off! My fingers are crossed that it gets better votes this go-around.

-Christopher
"CAVR"
Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195445 07/31/07 11:08 PM
J
Jim Awrey Offline
J
Bishop & Clerks Lighthouse, MA, lost light. Very unique design.

Bishop & Clerks Lighthouse

Jim

Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195446 08/01/07 12:44 AM
Rusty Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
John,

Whoohoo! Thanks for letting me know that HL has already done Sullivan's Island Range Lights. Great looking piece.

It is good to be back. I had been in and out of work so long I couldn't think of purchasing any lights, so I guess I just slipped away. Back into looking and since I haven't bought a piece in about 5 years, I am on the prowl again and this one looks interesting.

As usual you all are coming up with some great ideas for this piece!

Thanks again.

Rusty smile

Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195447 08/01/07 06:02 AM
Medicman Offline
Barcelona NY is my pick. It's a simple tower with lust greenery and flowering plants about the grounds but mainly for the history of being the only lighthouse fueled by natural gas.
Barcelona NY

Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195448 08/01/07 08:15 AM
Lighthouse Duo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
How about a Alaska light? Like Cape St. Elias?
The Lighthouse People\'s pictures

It looks like it could do with some help too and I think that may be a criteria.

Margret
Lighthouse Duo
Live Love Laugh ...
Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195449 08/01/07 10:59 AM
Cana Fan Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
I kind of like Daniel's rationale regarding the Mayport Light. It isn't that popular but it is a different shape. Also Wisconsin Point Light has a unique shape. I like the idea of doing one that is unique. Of course I'll probably get killed for this suggestion but what about Buffalo Bottle Light? It would be a great conversation piece!
Judy,

The Buffalo Bottle lights were suggested last time and were well recieved. Make it your official nomination!

Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195450 08/01/07 05:35 PM
Bill and Judy Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Thanks, I didn't realize it was part of first group. I might have even mentioned it back then since I am always looking for unique lights.

Okay, I'll make the Buffalo Bottle Light my official nomination but I don't know how to do a link to it like the others.

Judy

Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195451 08/01/07 05:49 PM
Rusty Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko

Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195452 08/01/07 05:50 PM
Rusty Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko

Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195453 08/01/07 06:08 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
The Other Bottle Light

Here's a photo of the other one, now located near Point Gratiot NY Lighthouse. Photo from LighthouseFriends.com. I believe this one was one of a pair at Fort Niagara.

Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195454 08/01/07 06:09 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Just because a light was nominated last time (2005), doesn't mean it is still in the running. We'll be working from this list of nominations only.

Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195455 08/01/07 07:03 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
bow

Already a good list of nominations. The team is going to have a hard time narrowing them down for a vote.

So far the half dozen that sounds the best in my opinion are:

* Jones Point
* Bergen Point
* Littel Gull Island
* Wisconsin Point
* Bishops & Clerks
* Cape St. Elias

But all mentions so far are good.

I'm looking forward to reading more nominations!!!

Stan M
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195456 08/01/07 07:34 PM
L
Lazarhynn Offline
L
My nomination is Muskegon Breakwater lighthouse. It is a red square pyramidical tower. This light has a unique appearance, and it is not as popular as the the south pierhead conical tower. I am not sure how to do the linking thing. So could someone help me out.

Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195457 08/01/07 08:53 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Muskegon Breakwater - not the greatest image, but shows what the light looks like.

Lighthouse Friends does have a picture on its page about Muskegon:

Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195458 08/01/07 09:21 PM
L
Lazarhynn Offline
L
My other nomination would be the Little Traverse lighthouse. This is more of a traditional lighthouse than Muskegon breakwater lighthouse. The bell tower really adds to the beauty of the lighthouse. Hopefully it could be included as part of the piece. little traverse

Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195459 08/01/07 11:08 PM
L
Lazarhynn Offline
L
Sorry the link for Little Traverse did not work on my last post. This link will provide some backgroud information on the lighthouse and some beautiful photos. I hope everyone likes the lighthouse as much as I do. It is my favorite great lakes lighthouse. Little Traverse

Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195460 08/02/07 12:05 AM
bright eyes Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Thanks Lazarhynn for the suggestion and the link for Little Traverse Light!

This light is three miles across the Little Traverse Bay from our home, and it's a delight to see the Harbor Point light blinking at night!
Good choice!!! wink

Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195461 08/02/07 12:33 AM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
The First St Simons Lighthouse

The Original St Simons light was built in 1810 and was destroyed in the civil war by the rebels so it would not fall in the hands of the Union troops. It is small in stature of only 75 feet tall. Lots of history and is borderline if HL would ever make it as one of their main L.E.'s. We could add a canon to the scene and other civil war stuff. Even show the Rebels blowing it up. Maybe some of that smoke stuff could be used like on Cape Canaveral. The lights of the past are not as popular as the present but this light is in a popular lighthouse collecting area. I feel it meets our criteria and we would have a good chance of Harbour Lights letting us make it in a 500 limited. Of course this lighthouse would be easy to sell since we could probably sell at least a hundred to the St Simons lighthouse museum.

DANIEL
Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195462 08/02/07 05:57 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
The Union Troops in this case would be called Yankees! The troops blowing it up would have been Confederate Soldiers.

Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195463 08/02/07 10:03 PM
silverfox51 Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Roe Island Lighthouse stood across the water from Port Chicago, a munitions dump during WWII. The munitions dump blew up and severly damaged the light by moving it off its foundations and caving in some of the front structure. It was a rather small light of wooden construction with some history connected to it. My father knew of the light as he spent time stationed in Port Chicago but happened to be down river on a rescue mission pulling a grounded ship off a sand bar when the facility blew up. Here's a picture before the explosion http://www.lhdigest.com/database/uniquelighthouse.cfm?value=1802 (sorry, don't know how to make this work)

edited to fix the link

Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195464 08/02/07 11:04 PM
Rusty Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Here's a link to Roe Island Lighthouse:

http://www.lighthousedepot.com/Digest/Photopage.cfm?Photo=5511

Rusty smile

Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195465 08/03/07 11:26 AM
BeaconBob Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Does it have to be in the US? If not...being that we really are an international group....

I'd vote for the one in Aruba...I think it is called the lighthouse "California"! It is very unique and has many many windows too!

Bob J ~ 65 Lighthouses, 2 Lightships, 25 Life Saving Stations Visited ~
"I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
John 8:12
Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195466 08/03/07 11:53 AM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Yes; the team agreed to only US lights.

DANIEL
Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195467 08/03/07 02:59 PM
TD Offline
Wisconsin Point would be a great light to do!!!!

Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195468 08/03/07 03:27 PM
BeaconBob Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Okay so if it has to be in the US...why not endorse the New Canal Lighthouse in New Orleans.
We can really make a difference in helping this light with all the proceeds and we are already doing that with the sales of the Wacko Badges.

"I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195469 08/03/07 04:11 PM
Bill and Judy Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Thanks, Rusty, for the link to the bottle light. John, it's a nomination for this time around.
Judy

Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195470 08/03/07 06:00 PM
Cana Fan Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
Okay so if it has to be in the US...why not endorse the New Canal Lighthouse in New Orleans.
Bob, if by endorse you mean make as our exclusive, H.L, has already produced this light. If you mean endorse as in financially support with funds raised, that is more possible as long as there is an organization and plan involved.

Mike

Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195471 08/03/07 08:03 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
My selection would be for Cape Mendocino, CA. This is a lighthouse that is in a remote location in Northern California. The Lighthouse has an established Preservation Group and I think would welcome our contributions from this project. Elizabeth and I visited the lighthouse in September of 2000. The group was just finishing up with restoration. If you have never made the dirt road trip across the coastal mountains to visit this lighthouse you are missing a true adventure! I can just imagine how remote Cape Mendocino was for it's Keeper's.

For more photographs and information visit the web site below.

rudyalicelighthouse.net

Sean bow

Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195472 08/03/07 09:49 PM
MrsTLC Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
My selection would be for Cape Mendocino, CA cool
Sean, so glad you said this one because it was one I would have chosen also.

Ruthie
"Where words fail, Music speaks"
Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195473 08/03/07 11:49 PM
BeaconBob Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by Cana Fan:
Quote:
[b]Okay so if it has to be in the US...why not endorse the New Canal Lighthouse in New Orleans.
Bob, if by endorse you mean make as our exclusive, H.L, has already produced this light. If you mean endorse as in financially support with funds raised, that is more possible as long as there is an organization and plan involved.

Mike [/b]
I guess I was thinking that the proceeds from whatever exclusive we chose would go to a light that could use our help. I was aware that it was made by HL already but was thinking of what we would do with the proceeds...my mind was distracted while I was typing...do the proceeds have to go to the exclusive lighthouse that is being made?
Some of the California lights would be good choices. I like the lost but not forgotten lights idea too...!

I think I will cast my vote for Ludlam's Beach lighthouse in Sea Isle City NJ as my choice!

Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195474 08/04/07 10:18 AM
R
russ b Offline
R
A set of the three lights at the Duluth MN ship canal would be nice

-------------------------------------------------
Duluth North breakwater light

Dututh North Breakwater Light

--------------------------------------------------
Duluth South Inner Breakwater light

Duluth South Inner Breakwater Light

Duluth South Outer Breakwater light

Dututh South Outer Breakwater Light

Added links to all three breakwater lights

Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195475 08/04/07 07:46 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
The "profits" from the ELL were split 50-50 between funds to pay the forums server bill and funds set aside to make grants to lighthouse preservation grants. Without pulling up the spreadsheet, we have made 6 grants so far, for a total of about $2000. I will be sending a check to Pointe Aux Barques for $250, and we do have another grant in process. There are still funds to contribute. Our decision was to spread the funds around to as many lights as possible since our members come from all over. The intention is to repeat this process again.

Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195476 08/06/07 09:05 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I'll second that motion, Dave!

smile Bob smile

Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195477 08/06/07 09:21 AM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Dave,

It worked perfectly before. Let's do it again.

bobo

Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195478 08/06/07 10:13 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob M:
Hopefully, Bob Scroope can help me out with a couple of pictures of what I would nominate for a possible 2nd CF Exclusive. This particular light came to mind because it is somewhat of a simple light, yet beautiful. One would think that Harbour Lights may not be making this one because it is somewhat secluded, and may not be a good large edition seller.

I nominate Little Gull Island Light, NY. Little Gull Island is approximately seven miles northeast of Orient Point Light, at the North Fork of Long Island. There is an abundance of lighthouse enthusiasts in this area of Long Island and nearby lower New England States. It is my opinion that this light would sell out the needed 500 edition size in a short period of time.

This light fits the bill! Who's with me? "Long Island Bob", can you help "Block Island Bob" out with a couple of your special pics from your rare-opportunity visit to this treasure of the sound? Your participation may be the key to Little Gull Island receiving a favorable nod from the crowd.

Little Gull Island New York

smile Bob smile

While we are waiting on "Long Island Bob" I added a link
Here's some info from last year on Little Gull as requested by Bob M.

Little Gull 200th Anniversary

Little Gull History

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195479 08/06/07 09:01 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Hey Bob, ... Thank you so much for revisiting your trip and posting those pics. I truly feel this would be a great candidate for our 2nd CF Exclusive. It's still standing, it's a light that Harbour Lights may not ever make as a limited edition, it's a rather simple but attractive light, and there are many lighthouse collectors from the Long Island and southern New England area that would purchase that one in a heart beat.

smile Bob smile

Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195480 08/06/07 10:35 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
I am very impressed with the selection we have so far. I feel that the majority falls into the category we are looking for.

DANIEL
Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195481 08/06/07 11:54 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by BeaconBob:
I think I will cast my vote for Ludlam's Beach lighthouse in Sea Isle City NJ as my choice! [/QB]
Here's a pic of the Ludlam Beach lighthouse/LSS.

Ludlam Beach, NJ

Stan M
Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195482 08/07/07 03:45 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
As shown in another thread in photos by Lou, I'll nominate the Chicago Harbor Southeast Guidewall Light. It would be a nice companion piece to Chicago Harbor and a reminder of good times by those of us who saw it during Rosemont and Navy Pier Collector Shows. smile

http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=001206

Chicago Harbor southeast Guidewall Light

Added another link with more info.

Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195483 08/08/07 02:14 AM
Gary Toth Offline
Wacko
Wacko
A light I always thought of as an interesting is Bray's Point Light located on Lake Winnebago in Oshkosh, WI. The light is small, but with an appealing design.

Here's a link: http://www.lighthousefriends.com/light.asp?ID=577

I think this may be a private light. Would it restricted from consideration for that reason?

Gary

Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195484 08/08/07 07:56 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Brrrrr! Looking at the snow pic of that light makes me think that summer is nearing an end.

That light is certainly different looking, Gary.

smile Bob smile

Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195485 08/08/07 11:25 AM
5lights Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Gary, it is a privately owned light. It can only be seen from the street or the water. I also believe that the Rockwells owned it or built it. Rockwell was a large company in Oshkosh.
This light is also known as the Rockwell Light.
It is very interesting!

Debbie
Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195486 08/08/07 09:39 PM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I second Daniel's nomination of Jones Point. I will be updating my website soon and it will include a model that an individual did for the Mt. Vernon Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution. (Could be a starting point for Harry).

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195487 08/09/07 03:44 AM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
My selection would also be Jones Point. It is indeed a plain light, but I think with a lot of character. I can almost imagine how neat it would look in miniature once Harry worked his magic.

Judy

Judy
Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195488 08/09/07 11:30 AM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by Lighthouser:
My selection would also be Jones Point. It is indeed a plain light, but I think with a lot of character. I can almost imagine how neat it would look in miniature once Harry worked his magic.

Judy
If it's done as it was 100+ years ago, plus include some of the surrounding trees and coastline. It could look very spectacular.

Stan M
Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195489 08/09/07 11:25 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I'm behind the Little Gull nomination. Having sailed past this light many times, it's got a place in my heart. Plus, it's quite cool - rough stones, interesting landscape, and it's just the tower, so it's the perfect size. And since it's a lesser-known light in the middle of LI Sound, it's probably not as likely to be made as a "mainstream" HL.

I can already envision it...the tall tower, the gulls (well, don't know if we can do gulls, but it would be a fun literal touch), the stormy whitecaps...a quintessential lighthouse visage.

Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195490 08/10/07 12:18 AM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by seagirt:
I'm behind the Little Gull nomination. Having sailed past this light many times, it's got a place in my heart. Plus, it's quite cool - rough stones, interesting landscape, and it's just the tower, so it's the perfect size. And since it's a lesser-known light in the middle of LI Sound, it's probably not as likely to be made as a "mainstream" HL.

I can already envision it...the tall tower, the gulls (well, don't know if we can do gulls, but it would be a fun literal touch), the stormy whitecaps...a quintessential lighthouse visage.
If it's the one picked, I hope it's as it was with the building next to the tower. Not the current view. I know it's a bit larger that way, but it's how it was intended to be.

Little Gull Island

Stan M
Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195491 08/10/07 04:05 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Little Gull would make a great piece with it's tall stone tower, large glass lantern room, and red top. And I can get Merle to run another trip out there so the WACKOS can land and climb.
Bob

\

[b][/b]

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195492 08/10/07 08:02 PM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I think Little Gull looks like a great option. vhappy I'll cast my vote towards this lighthouse.

Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195493 08/10/07 10:23 PM
kory63 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
We'd like to nominate the Verona Beach LH on Oneida Lake in Central NY. It is one of 3 identical or almost identical LH's on the lake. It continues to be a working(automated) LH with, contrary to some descriptions, a functioning light.
More information can be found at the following sites:

Verona Beach LH Assn.

ALSO:

http://www.lighthousefriends.com/light.asp?ID=877

Thanks,
Rick & Sis

I changed the first link to go directly to the Verona Beach LH Assn... and fixed the second link..

Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195494 08/11/07 12:43 AM
Rusty Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
So many great suggestions!! Which one to choose? :rolleyes:

Rusty smile

Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195495 08/11/07 06:56 PM
5lights Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
All great choices!
Let me throw another into the ring. Just the tower remains and they have a lighthouse group that is trying to preserve what's left.

Crisp Point Lighthouse on Lake Superior.

Crisp Point Lighthouse

It could be done just with tower as it is now or with the little house attached to it as it was a few years back.
Crisp Point

I like the second picture on this page. The one showing how desolate, the remains of the pier and the big pine leaning towards the tower.

Debbie
Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195496 08/12/07 12:49 AM
MelJB Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Why not St. Luis Osbispo Lighthouse in honor of Fred?

St Luis Osbispo Lighthouse

I added link

Melody
Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195497 08/12/07 03:19 AM
S
scamper96 Offline
S
I think the Barcelona Lighthouse would make an ideal limited edition exclusive. It has my vote.

Barcelona Lighthouse

I added link

Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195498 08/16/07 09:01 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Well it's August 16th.

Do we have enough nominations? Do any not fit the requirements?

Sorry if I'm a pain;, but this project is a cool idea. Looking forward to news from the project team.

cheers

Stan M
Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195499 08/16/07 09:09 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
The time for nominations has closed. Feel free to post your comments while the work team does some initial screening.

We'll mostly be checking the nominations against the stated criteria.

Look for the popularity poll in about a week -- or sooner.

Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195500 08/29/07 08:29 PM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
My Jones Point website has been updated. It now includes recent history (2006 to present).

I found out last year that the DAR has what looked like a fresnel lens (from a picture), later I visited and low and behold it was a fourth order (the lighthouse had a fifth order). At that time I found out that they had another lens, but did not see it till this years trip. It turned out to be a fifth order but is not a fixed lens (the one at Jones Point was). Any way, with the help our own Dave and the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S.L.H.S., these lens will be restored and displayed.

If you are wondering why I did not post this early, I delayed until I felt the lens were save, as they were at individual houses at the time. The web site has pictures under Recent History.

P.S. Also a picture of a model of the lighthouse that one of the local people made (perhaps a starting point for a Harbour Lights Limited Edition).

http://jonespoint.garoux.net/

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: Collector Forums Exclusive for 2008 - We Welcome Your Suggestions #195501 08/30/07 01:19 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
Originally posted by Webmaster:
the work team does some initial screening.

We'll mostly be checking the nominations against the stated criteria.

Look for the popularity poll in about a week -- or sooner.
So...............????????????

LONG ISLAND BOB
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,025 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users