Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Wisconsin Point Modification #195299 08/08/08 09:48 PM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I was wondering how a WP would look with "Green Water" since Michigan City had a "Green Water" variation. I purchased a 2nd WP from Dave about 3 weeks ago and modified the water to have a green tint. I modified mine to have a dark green tint the same as New London Ledge's variation had and I think it looks great. I now have a "Blue Water" and "Green Water" version in my curio. I also sent a picture of it to Dave, Bob Ott and Daniel to get their opinion. I haven't heard from Dave or Daniel, but, Bob Ott immediately ordered a 2nd WP and had Dave ship it directly to my house for the modification to be done to it. Bob wanted a light green tint instead of the dark green color and I was able to give him what he wanted. He said that he liked it so maybe he will reply with his opinion.

If any of you are interested in having this modification done to yours or to a 2nd piece and want to see what it looks like, give me an email and I'll shoot you a picture. I really don't want to post a picture here as it might seem like I'm ruining a perfect WP without adding any value to it. There will be no charge for the modification except for the postage from me back to you and that should run between 7-10 dollars depending on where you live. Also, if Dave feels it's proper to post the picture I sent him, then by all means post it.

Rich
Re: Wisconsin Point Modification #195300 08/08/08 10:01 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
It's just my opinion but this is disappointing for me to read. Wisconsin Point doesn't come with green water from Harbour Lights and this is not a variation just a bad paint job as far as I am concerned.

I personally think that is just tampering with a great product that Harry put together for the Forums..

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Wisconsin Point Modification #195301 08/09/08 12:21 AM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Calm down Paul and you certainly are entitled to your own opinion. However, I have my opinion and ideas also and this was a project that I wanted to try. I enjoy repairing and having fun with my lighthouses and don't just look at them. What good is having a hobby if all your going to do is pass them on and not enjoy them. I handle them, look at them, move them around and let others look at and handle them. I also never referred to this as a VARIARION so get that out of your mind. It is a modification that was performed on a lighthouse that I PAID for and one that wasn't given to me by Harbour Lights or Harry so I do not think of this as destroying or tampering with the Holy Grail. It's just a plaster lighthouse and nothing more and if I felt like destroying it's value, so be it. It was worth the cost of the piece to prove I could do it. With that said I will consider this debate closed.

I merely posted to let other collectors know if they were interested I would gladly do it for them as a favor.

Rich
Re: Wisconsin Point Modification #195302 08/09/08 09:48 AM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Rich
I also said I wanted one.
But to help sales in a sagging economy I feel this should only be done for new lights to be purchased form Dave and not from lights already purchased. I wanted to talk to you about this but just didn’t get around to it.

The story behind the green water was that Rich and I wanted a green water version. Many team members agreed but one prominent team member was against it and told me if I wanted green water I should go out and paint one myself. The next thing we hear is that the WP is in blue water. Well Rich went and painted one of his and I did tell Rich I wanted one but just haven’t follow up on it.

The pictures I seen from Rich are excellent and because this is painted by one of the team members and there is a real story behind this I feel that Rich’s Lighthouses will be a collectable(IMO). Be a part of this collectable, but remember to order a new one thru Dave and have him send it directly to Rich.

Rich I also believe that you should charge around $20 including the shipping to cover your time and expense. I believe you will get at least 50 people wanting this green water version.

Anyone interested can have Rich or I email a picture.

DANIEL
Re: Wisconsin Point Modification #195303 08/09/08 11:27 AM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Rich and Everyone,

Yes, I was interested in getting the "Rich" green water modification. I now have it in my curio right next to the blue water original. To be totally honest, I think they both look beautiful. And by the way, Rich did a fantastic job with the painting.

bobo

Re: Wisconsin Point Modification #195304 08/09/08 11:28 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I, for one, would like to see a picture of "the green water" WP. What one does with a HL after they get it home is up to them. I've always felt the Atlantic Ocean lights should have had a Green-grey tint to the water because it definitely isn't blue.

Re: Wisconsin Point Modification #195305 08/09/08 11:54 AM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Wickywacky
Send me email address and I will send you pictures. I cant send pictures over the private message

DANIEL
Re: Wisconsin Point Modification #195306 08/09/08 04:59 PM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Dave-Bob-Wickywacky --- Thanks for your support and interest, but, there would be no charge except for the postal shipping charges. Also, before myself or Daniel can send a picture we need your full email address. It's also a lot easier to appreciate this green water modification if you have a blue water version right next to it. All you have to do is purchase another WP from Dave and have him send it directly to me. I'll paint it in light, medium or dark green(your choice) and send it to you after I receive the $7-10 shipping charges depending on where you live.

I want you to understand fully and I'll make this statement again: This is not an authorized Harbour Lights paint job or variation and is simply a modification of an existing paint job. It probably will not increase in value(it will decrease in value most likly because the original piece has been modified) but it can be a conversation piece in your collection.

Rich
Re: Wisconsin Point Modification #195307 08/09/08 08:27 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Wisconsin Point Light isn't on the Atlantic, it is in the Great Lakes and the water there isn't green at least all of the many times I have visited it. I have seen it both from land and from boat, out at the light on the end of a long breakwater and from shore it just isn't green.. But like I said it's my opinon and I am a purist when it comes to my collection..

Re: Wisconsin Point Modification #195309 08/09/08 10:28 PM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Having lived on Lake Erie for 19 years and spending much of that time on or at Lake Erie, I can say without a doubt in my military mind that a good portion of the lights on Lake Erie have water that runs from a muddy blue to a light green depending on the time of year and the amount of algae in the water. While we all see things in a different light, beauty is still in the eyes of the beholder!

Rich
Re: Wisconsin Point Modification #195310 08/09/08 11:01 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
I sure missed when they moved Wisconsin Point Lighthouse to Lake Erie..

Re: Wisconsin Point Modification #195311 08/10/08 12:01 AM
Middle I-land MI Max Offline
Wacko
Wacko
The water color discussions reminds me of how sad I feel when the Grand River empties into our beautiful Lake Michigan at Grand Haven with a ugly brownish color (and sometimes sewage from Grand Rapids after heavy rains).
This brown stuff also stains the white hull of our boat and usually can't be washed off.
If only the Grand River was a bluish or greenish color we'd be able to go boating on it again!

Re: Wisconsin Point Modification #195312 08/11/08 12:00 AM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Green water is from algae and where there is water there is algae.

Wisconsin point

DANIEL
Re: Wisconsin Point Modification #195313 08/11/08 11:16 PM
Cyndi Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I love these discusions, they keep things interesting and shows we all have our own opinions. I'd love to see what Wisconsin Point looks like with green water.
Besides how many pieces do we have left to sell? Some of us are purist and some are a little more adventureous both ways the money go to a good cause.

Cyndi
Re: Wisconsin Point Modification #195314 08/12/08 11:21 AM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Cyndi
I sent you a picture of it.

As we all know the gas prices has put another strain on the collectable market.
We still have plenty to sell and Rich and I was leaning on his painting some of the WP with green water to help in sales. If anyone is interested contact Dave and have him send a WP to Rich in your name. Rich will give you the green water version for just the cost of postage.

DANIEL
Re: Wisconsin Point Modification #195315 08/14/08 12:04 AM
Cyndi Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Thanks Daniel for the pictures. Wisconsin Point does look good with the green water. I'll have to buy another piece so I can have Rich do one for me.

Cyndi
Re: Wisconsin Point Modification #195316 08/14/08 08:14 PM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Cyndi - Just let me know if you want light green or dark green. The picture that Daniel sent you was the dark green.

Rich
Re: Wisconsin Point Modification #195317 09/11/08 08:37 PM
Shortcake Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Gee I hadn't noticed this post before today! Sounds like a hot topic! pillowfight LOL

Rich, How about sending me a picture of both pieces side by side for a compairison look. If I like what I see, I'll give Dave a call!

Stephanie

God may have created man before woman,
but there is always a rough draft before the masterpiece.
Re: Wisconsin Point Modification #195318 09/12/08 12:29 AM
Middle I-land MI Max Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Rich

How about posting side by side pictures on this thread so we can all see what you guys are talking about?

Max

Re: Wisconsin Point Modification #195319 09/12/08 09:33 AM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Max - This has not been a popular subject so I prefer not to post them on the Forums so members opposed to this modification do not get more upset.

I will email you some pictures and anyone else that wants to see what they look like with no problem. If you like what you see, order a WP from Dave and tell him to send it directly to me for modification. There is no charge for the modification and the shipping from me to you is $7.00, plus an additional $.85, if you want it insured.

Rich
Re: Wisconsin Point Modification #195320 09/12/08 12:03 PM
Shortcake Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Maybe.... if Rich would take a marker and write across the bottom on the felt (as Bill does for signings) a Notation that "This pieces has been personally modified, and is NOT an HL variation", on each piece that he paints. This would satisfy those who worried about the possible future of the modified pieces. confused

Stephanie

Re: Wisconsin Point Modification #195321 09/17/08 11:37 AM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Stephanie - After much thought I really don't think it's proper for me to sign the WP as being modified. The members that buy this piece and have it modified are buying it for their own collection and not for resale. Later on if it appears on Ebay as a variation, Dave will know by his records who bought the piece, and that collector will loose some credibility with at least Dave and myself. HL collectors should be held accountable as to what they do with their collection. This "Green Water" modified piece has been fun doing and hopefully will add a conversation piece to each persons collection.

Remember, no charge for the modification except the $7.00 USPS mailing costs, plus $0.85 for insurance if you want it, from me to you. Order from Dave and have him ship it to me. Or you can order a piece and have it sent directly to you that is not modified. Don't hesitate ordering either piece as we are hoping to be sold out by Christmas.

The neat thing is to set a modified "Green Water" piece next to an unmodified "Blue Water" piece in you curio and then tell the story on how the "Green Water" piece came about.

Rich
Re: Wisconsin Point Modification #195322 09/28/08 06:38 PM
Shortcake Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I have now bought a second Wisconsin Point, had it shipped to Rich, where he painted the green water, and shipped to me.

I LOVE IT! applaud

IMHO the green water looks better then the blue.

Stephanie

Re: Wisconsin Point Modification #195323 09/28/08 07:07 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Steph,

I agree -- I like my green water better than the blue, also.

bobo

Re: Wisconsin Point Modification #195324 09/28/08 07:33 PM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Thank you Bob and Stephanie. The green water doesn't show up as much in pictures as it does in person, but, I also have to agree that I like the green water better. It shows off the colors of WP better. I have emailed Stephanie my pictures using my flash that show off the green water really well. Hopefully Stephanie will post the pictures since I simply "don't know how to". There, I've admitted my failed ability to post pictures.

I will modify anyone's WP for only $7.85 Shipping/Insurance if you have it sent straight from Dave to me. I feel the moderate green water looks the best. Email me if your interested and I can email you a picture of my 2 WPs side by side where the green water shows up a lot better.

Rich
Re: Wisconsin Point Modification #195325 09/29/08 01:14 PM
Shortcake Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Here are Rich's pic's. The lighting really dose make a difference in showing the color green.

Stephanie

Re: Wisconsin Point Modification #195326 09/29/08 11:59 PM
Mark Wagner Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I must say I like it !

Very well done Rich !!

Re: Wisconsin Point Modification #195327 09/30/08 11:05 AM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I think it looks nice, but I do prefer the original. I'm planning on buying a second Wisconsin Point before the end of this year. Just need to know what's up with the last two Grand Tour releases so I stay within my budget. At that point I'll decide if I want a green water or not.

Great paint job, Rich!!!

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Wisconsin Point Modification #195328 10/02/08 08:20 PM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I've now done 3 modifications and the 4th is on the way to me with the 5th being promised but not bought yet. Whether you are buying a second WP for modification or are buying your 1st WP, don't wait too long. We are canvasing dealers and going to put a blitz on the Duluth Area(including the Coast Guard) starting Monday. We are trying to sell out by Christmas. John is also adding a link to buy the WP at the topf of the Forums pages for easier access. Don't miss out on this opportunity to own a piece of history as this may well be the last Forum's Exclusive.

Rich
Re: Wisconsin Point Modification #195329 10/10/08 09:15 PM
Cyndi Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I recieved my Wisconsin Point with the green water yesterday. The two pieces look great side by side. Thanks Rich. You did an outstanding job.

Cyndi
Re: Wisconsin Point Modification #195330 10/27/08 07:59 PM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
There are now 5 WP modifications out there and another soon to be. While this is a modification and not a true variation, it could end up bringing a secondary market value since only a limited handfull are being done. The modifier (me) won't be doing this forever (free) so at any time the modifications will cease when the supply runs out. The supply won't be around for too much longer so that you can have one of each. Order your second WP Exclusive at this link http://www.lighthouse-events.com/forums/ and have Dave ship it directly to me for modification. Send me a money order or bank check (no personal checks please) for $7.85 to cover postal and insurance costs with your mailing address. I'll modify and you'll have a blue and a green water WP to sit side by side.

Rich
Re: Wisconsin Point Modification #195331 11/05/08 03:38 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Received my WP modification today. Rich, you did a great job. I'm very pleased. Dave, a pleasure to "talk" to you.

Re: Wisconsin Point Modification #195332 11/07/08 08:18 PM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I talked to Harry on Wednesday concerning many things (that man is like a steel vault trying to get a scoop out of him) so don't ask because I don't know nothing. We got to talking about the Wisconsin Point Exclusives and I mentioned to him about my modification to green water. He asked that I send him some pictures, which I did, and he responded that I had a future as a HL painter. That being said, I feel very happy.

You to can have a modified green water WP just by ordering one from Dave and having him send it straight to me. You pay the $7.85 shipping back to you.

Rich
Re: Wisconsin Point Modification #195333 02/16/10 12:01 AM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I'm bringing this to the top again in case there are some of you out there that still want a modified "green water" Wisconsin Point. No charge to you for the modification. Just order one from Dave and have him send it to me for the modification. Send me $6.00 for shipping the piece to you along with your address. It's that simple.

I talked to Harry again today and he told me how to enhance the white caps on the green water version so that will be done to all future modifications. I also have modified my "green water" version with a lightning rod. That modification is not up for being done as the existing tip must be removed and a new one installed. This takes quite a bit of time and the desired results may not be what you are looking for. I now have the only one in existance and this will probably remain this way. I'll see if Daniel will post a picture of it for me as I still can't figure out how to post a picture.

Rich
Re: Wisconsin Point Modification #195334 02/18/10 02:21 AM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Thanks to Dave Hannum, the newly modified "white cap" green water Wisconsin Point is shown next to the blue water version above. I also show my lightning rod modification on the green water version.

Rich
Re: Wisconsin Point Modification #195335 02/18/10 08:54 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
You are amazing, Rich! Nice work!

smile Bob smile

Re: Wisconsin Point Modification #195336 02/18/10 02:05 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Nice job Rich !!!

I like the added lightning rod mod too !!!

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Wisconsin Point Modification #195337 02/19/10 11:00 PM
Angels Gate Offline
Wacko
Wacko
While we are on the Wisconsin Point...why is it none of the links I have run across to purchase a Wisconsin Point actually work? We may sell more if a link would work or you had a link placed on the HOME page, so it would be VERY noticeable.

Angels Gate
Re: Wisconsin Point Modification #195338 02/19/10 11:30 PM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
The links have been down and removed off the home page since the last Forums upgrade about 4-5 months ago. For whatever reason(s), only John can answer why, we have not had the links repaired. As new members join, I give them an alternate method to buy a Wisconsin Point.

Rich
Re: Wisconsin Point Modification #195339 06/10/10 11:27 PM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I'm again bringing this topic to the top. The cost of having this modification done is the cost of a second Wisconsin Point plus $7.85 USPS shipping/insurance to you anywhere in the US. If interested contact Dave or myself. Dave will ship directly to me and I'll ship to you.

If you are interested if the lightning rod modification, the cost to do that will be an additional $10.00 donation payed to Dave when you buy the 2nd lighthouse or if you have already purchased a "green water" modification from Dave, just send him a $10.00 donation for lighthouse preservation. If you want this modification done, pay for shipping to me plus the $7.85 shipping charge back to you. This modification will entail removing and replacing the existing lightning rod ball and repainting the entire lantern room roof which matches perfectly.

Rich
Re: Wisconsin Point Modification [Re: flacoastie] #199975 01/01/11 12:38 PM
L
lgthouselady Offline
Wacko
Wacko
L
I need a Wisconsin Point. Probably the original version. It will try and found a spot in my house other than in its box.Thank you.

Kathleen

Re: Wisconsin Point Modification [Re: flacoastie] #199979 01/01/11 01:16 PM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I've forwarded to Dave Hannum and he should be contacting you very shortly.

Rich
Re: Wisconsin Point Modification [Re: flacoastie] #207572 08/07/12 02:13 PM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I'm bringing this tread to the top again to see if there are any of you out there that may still want a "green water modified" Wisconsin Point Collectors Forums Exclusive. There are pictures included in this thread should you be interested. I have also modified my "green water" WP to include a lightning rod that replaces the original tip with a new tip made to hold the lightning rod.

If you are interested in the "green water modification" you may purchase a Wisconsin Point directly from Dave (there are still a few left) and have him ship it directly to me. There is no charge for this modified paint job except for the shipping costs (approximately $7- $10) by Post Office with insurance for me to ship it to you. The cost of modifying the ball for a lightning rod is an additional $15.00 the original ball will be removed/replaced with a slightly larger ball and all modifications are final with no refund for work done). In otherwards, what you see is what you get.

Contact me if you want any additional information and please read the entire thread to become familiar with what the modification consists of.

Last edited by flacoastie; 08/07/12 02:16 PM.

Rich

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,299 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users