cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Chicamacomico Beach Apparatus Drill Reenactment Back for 2007! #192032 04/29/07 12:18 PM
Lighthouser Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
The Beach Apparatus Drill Reenactment at Chicamacomico LSS is back for the 2007 season!

USCG Station Oregon Inlet and USCG Station Hatteras Inlet have each created two drill teams comprised of station personnel who perfom the Drill Reenactment.

From the staff at Chicamacomico...
Quote:

Historically, the Drill was regularly practiced at each station beginning in 1871. Weekly practice of this Drill ensured that the lifesavers were always ready to effect rescues of shipwrecked victims. Crews that did not perform the Drill in adequate time faced dismissal from the service. The Drill demonstrated the equipment used, the duties of each surfman, and the skill and stamina it demanded of them. Due to such regimented training the lifesavers had a 99.2% success rate in rescues.
Chicamacomico is the ONLY place in the United States that the Beach Apparatus Drill is perfomed by the U.S. Coast Guard. Plan to go see this if you're spending some time on the Outer Banks, NC this summer!

The Reenactment takes place every Thursday at 2 p.m. June, July, and August. Admission to the reenactment is included with regular admission charge.

For information on other programs offered at the LSS, summer schedule and admission, visit Chicamacomico

Judy

Judy
Re: Chicamacomico Beach Apparatus Drill Reenactment Back for 2007! #192033 04/30/07 11:00 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Judy, this may be the only apparatus drill performed by active Coasties (THANKS!) but it is also one of the very few performed anywhere. It is great to see this part of the history of the USLSS kept alive by the young people in the CG. And, I'm sure much of this effort occurs "off the clock" on their own time. A wonderful example of the quality of young adults that choose to serve in the CG (and other Armed Forces).

Re: Chicamacomico Beach Apparatus Drill Reenactment Back for 2007! #192034 05/01/07 11:27 AM
BeaconBob Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I planned my vacation this year around this particular activity! I will be there the week of July 2nd - July 6th.

Bob J ~ 65 Lighthouses, 2 Lightships, 25 Life Saving Stations Visited ~
"I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
John 8:12
Re: Chicamacomico Beach Apparatus Drill Reenactment Back for 2007! #192035 06/21/07 11:58 PM
BeaconBob Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
So...I'll be heading down here to see the re-enactment in a few weeks....is there anything else in the way of "must sees" in that area, especially other LSS stations?
I want to make sure I am well prepared for this visit...LSS's to visit, resturants to absolutely go to...and of course a few lighthouses that I truelly LOVE!!!

"I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Re: Chicamacomico Beach Apparatus Drill Reenactment Back for 2007! #192036 06/22/07 02:50 AM
Lighthouser Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Beacon Bob,

Look in this section of "The Beachbum" site (Stephen Wilmoth) NC Life Saving Stations
He's done a terrific study of all the existing LSS structures on the Outer Banks. Some are easy to find and are now in use as other structures.

Chicamacomico LSS is the only one that stands restored and as a museum, and you will actually see 3 on those grounds. Stephen's site will direct you to others nearby, and the folks at Chicamacomico can also guide you. Tell Linda Malloy "Hi" from me. She and her husband staff the LSS, and are greatly responsible for what you see today. See the Schedule page for the CG reenactment timing.

Tell me what area you'll be staying (near Nags Head or Hatteras or Currrituck) and I and others can probably suggest some good eating places. The Outer Banks covers a lot of miles.

Even though you have visited the NC lights before, try to visit Bodie at dusk and stay until dark. Seeing that First Fresnel at night is worth the effort. Just be prepared for the "no-see-ums" and use insect repellant.

Just across the street from the entrance to Bodie on Rt. 12 are the two Bodie Island LSS's that are being prepared for the move over nearer the lighthouse.

If you haven't been before, Manteo is a neat place to visit. Besides the Roanoke Marshes Light, there are lots of other nautical exhibits, and the Elizabeth II.

Down beyond Buxton near where you would board the ferry to Ocracoke is the Graveyard of the Atlantic Museum. That's where the Hatteras First Fresnel that was restored two years ago is on display, now attached to it's pedestal. Lot's of shipwreck stuff there too.

And I could go on and on.

I know you will have a wonderful vacation. Bring back some photos, please.

Judy

Judy
Re: Chicamacomico Beach Apparatus Drill Reenactment Back for 2007! #192037 06/22/07 11:02 PM
BeaconBob Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Judy,

We will be staying at the Days Inn in Kill Devil Hills.
I will have to revisit Stephens site. I know it is chock full of information and you can bet that I will bring back many pictures with the D80.
I have spoken to Linda a few times and we are becoming friends over the phone. I told her that I would make it a point to meet her when we arrive at the LSS.
I am also hoping to meet Erik Watson..the USCGSurfman on the CF there as well. His unit is not scheduled for drills that week but he may try to make it over there to say hello. I've been conversing on and off with him for the last few months.

Thanks for the tips...looking for a few good resturants too!

Re: Chicamacomico Beach Apparatus Drill Reenactment Back for 2007! #192038 06/23/07 12:40 AM
Lighthouser Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
BeaconBob, look for an email I sent you tonight with my personal favorites in OBX eateries.

Sadly, one on the list, Basnight's Lone Cedar on the Manteo Causeway burnt to the ground last month. You'll notice it is listed at the very top of the list I've sent you that I actully put together last year for some other folks.

It was at the top of the list for a good reason. Senator Basnight hopes to rebuild Lone Cedar in a couple of years.

If you only pick one on my list, make it Sam & Omies at MP 16.5 on the Beach Road.

Totally off the subject of eating...
You as a Harbour Lights collector cannot visit the OBX without stopping by The Lighthouse Gallery in Nags Head. Russ Burnett is the current owner. It's located at MP 10 1/2 on Driftwood Street...look for a lighthouse as you drive down the Beach road towards this milepost. Bruce Roberts was the original owner and had this building built/adapted from the Point Fermin blueprints.

Judy

Judy

Moderated by  Lighthouser 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,229 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users