Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The Great OBX LSS Quest! #191979 04/10/06 04:41 PM
seagirt Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Over the next week while we're here on the OBX, I'm going to try to see as many of the lifesaving stations as possible here. I've seen all four lighthouses, so now it's time for a new OBX challenge.

I've seen several, but I haven't photographed them. The key to this excercise is going to be to photograph them, even if I have before (i.e. Wash Woods). I might not get down to the end of Hatteras Island or anything, but I'd at least like to cover the whole of the Northern Beaches.

LSS #1: Kill Devil Hills (1878)
(go to http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/seagirtlight/album?.dir=/b52a)

I got my first LSS today at Kill Devil Hills LSS here in Corolla. While my mom and brother went to get sandwiches at Corolla Pizza and mail a box, I dashed down the road to see the station. It's the Victorian type - Beachbum's site can give you more info than I can here. I went to the front of the light and snapped a few photos, then started walking around the back, snapping the sides and cistern.

As I get to the back and start to go around the south side, there's a few employees inflicting cancer upon themselves. They ask me if I want to go inside. "Sure!" They tell me to just go inside and snap some shots.

I turned the old door handle, one of those tiny-but-sturdy jobs. Inside, the interior is remarkably original. All the old paneling and stuff. They've also got some cool LSS equipment and such hanging on the walls and stuff, with a bunch of old photos and such.

The station's owned by Twiddy, one of the realtors here, and I think this is their sales office - another adjacent building is, I believe, for rentals.

---

OKAY....now a few questions for the knowledgeable. Between Stephen's site and the Chicamacomico site's list of LSS, I think I have a pretty complete list of the LSS to seek out. I can find most easily, but there's a couple I'm stuck on. Maybe someone can help.

First off is the 4x4 stations. Wash Woods is easy - I've been there several times, and it could get skipped easily if we can't get all the way up there on the beach. But I'm stuck on Penney's Hill and Currituck Beach.

According to my two sources, Penney's Hill is 5.5 miles north of the access, and Currituck Beach is 4.7 miles. I've seen one, but not the other. Anyone know how to get up close to them on the back roads? Are they both visible from the 4x4 beach, worse-comes-to-worse? (The Yukons, and espcially the XL, can't hold a burnt-out candle to the Land Rovers off-road.)

Also, several sources have mentioned a Poyner's Hill station here in Corolla. I've never seen it or seen photos of it, but it seems like it's still around. Anyone know where it is?

I'll keep you guys updated on the progress of the great quest...and with almost-live photos when possible. smile

Re: The Great OBX LSS Quest! #191980 04/10/06 11:38 PM
beachcomber Offline
You know us; we want to hear all about it and see your pictures. Sounds like your first venture was very productive. Looking forward to more of your posts!

beachcomber
Re: The Great OBX LSS Quest! #191981 04/11/06 06:04 AM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I can't get the link to work. It says the pictures are inaccessible.

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: The Great OBX LSS Quest! #191982 04/11/06 12:38 PM
seagirt Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Alright...try it this way...go to my main Gallery index, either with this link:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/seagirtlight/my_photos

or by clicking in my sig line. Then click "OBX - Kil..." (OBX - Kill Devil Hills LSS), and you can view them that way.

Yahoo! Photos isn't perfect, but it's free and unlimited, so I'm happy.

Today, I'll have to see where we go to see what we hit. If we stay here in Corolla, I'm probably not going to be able to hit any new ones. If we go south, I can probably hit at least Caffeys Inlet in Duck.

And still trying to figure out those two other stations - Penneys Hill and Poyners Hill - if anyone gets a chance and knows.

Re: The Great OBX LSS Quest! #191983 04/11/06 08:02 PM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Great pictures, love the details!

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: The Great OBX LSS Quest! #191984 04/12/06 08:31 PM
seagirt Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Another one today! Photos by going to the Yahoo! Photos page and clicking on "OBX - Caffey's Inlet LSS".

LSS #2: Caffey's Inlet

We went down to a few shops in Duck today, and on the way back, stopped at the Sanderling Resort and their LSS, Caffey's Inlet.

I parked the truck in the service lot, and started snapping photos. They're doing some kind of work in some of the hotel buildings...looks like some kind of renovation, since there's what looks like carpet and stuff around.

I walked around, got some detail photos as I could, and tried to get some good ones with the trees. The best one, though, I think, was at the end, with the wind whipping the flags - the Stars and Stripes at the top, an NC state flag, and a USLSS and Sanderling flag at the bottom. I like the motion it gave.

Another nice station...maybe we'll go to dinner here one time, though we never pack "Resort Causal." We're on vacation at the beach, we don't do that.

-----

Since it looks unlikely that we're going to go to Hatteras Island this trip (not at $2.75/gal for petrol!), I probably only have 7-8 stations to see still. I'm fitting them in when we're in the area. Three of them - Wash Woods, Penney's Hill (if I can figure out where it is), and Currituck Beach will get knocked off when we go up to the 4x4 beach. The Kitty Hawk and Nags Head ones will get done when we get down there.

Re: The Great OBX LSS Quest! #191985 04/12/06 08:44 PM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Greg, "Resort Casual" there just means no bare chests or bathing suits, and shoes are required...although, I think flip-flops probably qualify.

The Sanderling has two restaurants. One is more "formal" than the other, but the above mentioned would be a qualifying dress code.

Nice coverage of the LSS's!

Judy
Re: The Great OBX LSS Quest! #191986 04/12/06 09:02 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Nice pictures, Greg. You're doing a great job of covering the LSS story on OBX.

Re: The Great OBX LSS Quest! #191987 04/12/06 09:10 PM
beachcomber Offline
Very nice shots, Greg! This is a very cool goal you have set for yourself. Lots of history!

beachcomber
Re: The Great OBX LSS Quest! #191988 04/13/06 05:00 PM
regalhobo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Nice pix Greg.

smile cool

regalhobo
Tom K

:) :cool:
Re: The Great OBX LSS Quest! #191989 04/14/06 12:49 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
Originally posted by seagirt:
The best one, though, I think, was at the end, with the wind whipping the flags - the Stars and Stripes at the top, an NC state flag, and a USLSS and Sanderling flag at the bottom. I like the motion it gave.

Since it looks unlikely that we're going to go to Hatteras Island this trip (not at $2.75/gal for petrol!), I probably only have 7-8 stations to see still. I'm fitting them in when we're in the area. Three of them - Wash Woods, Penney's Hill (if I can figure out where it is), and Currituck Beach will get knocked off when we go up to the 4x4 beach. The Kitty Hawk and Nags Head ones will get done when we get down there.
I like the 'motion flags too!

You're on vacation, and you're worried about gas prices?????????????

Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: The Great OBX LSS Quest! #191990 04/14/06 01:10 PM
seagirt Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Down here, sure are. They're higher because of the distance to get them here, I guess. Same reason that newspapers are 50% more expensive and such.

We did go on an adventure yesterday afternoon to Roanoke Island, then to Bodie, and hitting the LSS on the way back (including Oregon Inlet). Have to get all the photos together, and then I'll post them.

Re: The Great OBX LSS Quest! #191991 04/14/06 02:53 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Regular is up to 2.93 here, and the higher octanes are over 3.00.

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: The Great OBX LSS Quest! #191992 04/14/06 06:00 PM
seagirt Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
It's about that here, too, I guess. But it's still a LONG way down there - about an hour to Nags Head, then the same amount of time to cover HI, if you just drive down 12.

Plus, with tomorrow our last full day, we don't have time. We're going to try to hit the 4x4 beach tomorrow, so I'll hit 2 or 3 up there. There's still those two mystery ones. Anyone think they might know where they are if I call the museum at Chicamacomico?

At least I hit all the ones on the Northern Beaches. laugh

Re: The Great OBX LSS Quest! #191993 04/14/06 07:04 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Here's a link to information about the LSS on OBX, Greg. It mentions Penny's Hill but doesn't provide directions;

http://www.insiders.com/outerbanks/main-history3.htm#Heading10

Re: The Great OBX LSS Quest! #191994 04/15/06 01:42 AM
beachcomber Offline
"Petrol" prices are going up everywhere, Greg. Regular is $2.79 here and is here to stay, I'm sure. I don't see it dropping again.

beachcomber
Re: The Great OBX LSS Quest! #191995 04/19/06 03:31 PM
HCS Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Pictures are great Greg.
Thanks for sharing.
HCS

Re: The Great OBX LSS Quest! #191996 04/20/06 12:34 AM
beachbum1616 Offline
I have been searching through the mystery that another HISTORIC LSS still exists on the N. OBX but everthing that I have come across has gotten me no where. I feel REAL sure that I have them all on my site, aside from the stations that have been built by the CG since say the late 1930's like Hatteras Inlet and Ocracoke. I do have photos of these current stations and hope to have them up on the site in the next few weeks.

Stephen

65 Lighthouses, 3 Lightships, and 18 Life-Saving Stations Visited!
Re: The Great OBX LSS Quest! #191997 05/21/06 01:29 PM
seagirt Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
THE PHOTOS ARE ALL POSTED!!!!!!!!!!

Check them out at Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/seagirtlight/

The descriptions of the images are all below the images. ENJOY!!!!

Re: The Great OBX LSS Quest! #191998 05/21/06 06:17 PM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Greg, you've done a terrific job. I especially like how you've captured different aspects of the architecture.

Thanks for putting it altogether for us.

Judy
Re: The Great OBX LSS Quest! #191999 05/21/06 09:20 PM
beachcomber Offline
Pretty terrific, Greg! I loved your MoMA shots; it had been moved out of the City the last time I was there, so I will have to catch it another time. I did get to visit the Cloisters - on my birthday, during Spring Break a couple of years ago. You have a really good eye for special effects which make for out-of-the-ordinary shots, i.e., textures, dunes, pilings. Really liked those. Thanks for letting us experience your trips with you!

beachcomber

Moderated by  Lighthouser 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,438 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users