Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
New Boathouse at Wash Woods LSS #191941 12/24/06 07:38 PM
seagirt Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
We were driving up the 4x4 beach here in Corolla (we came down a little earlier this year for our New Year's trip, and brought my Grandparents for a few days to celebrate Christmas down here too) and passed by the Wash Woods LSS up there.

What a pleasant surprise to see that they're building a new replica of the boathouse that used to be there! I took a picture of the building permit when we were up there in April, but I forgot about it.

It's right next to the old watchtower, for those of you who know the station. I think the whole thing is owned by Twiddy (realty), and I think they're restoring it. The boathouse looks pretty accurate, though the windows are a little more Andersen and a little less historic. But whatever you need when you're right on the beach like that.

I took some pics; will upload and post when I get a chance. I'm getting some "Memory Card Error" thing on my camera, so I hope they're okay still. Hopefully I'll be getting my new D50 soon anyway.

BTW, I really hope that, if Twiddy's putting the money into the station, that they next restore the historic watchtower. It's gotten really bad over the past few years - once I get back to NJ and my photo CDs, I'll have to go through and pull the photos of it since ~2002. Very few of the cross struts are left anymore. It's especially important to save, as I think it's also the last WWII U-boat watchtower left in its original location (not sure of the exact notation, but it's something along those lines). Really important to save that!

But I thought I'd share what I saw...and what I like! laugh

Re: New Boathouse at Wash Woods LSS #191942 12/27/06 10:45 PM
BeaconBob Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Greg,
Can't wait to see your pics when you return. I hope they come out okay and that your memory card is not defective.
We were in Corolla back in August and I probably passed right by the LSS and didn't even know it. I wish I had locations that I could find these easier.
Have a safe trip back and Happy New Year!

Bob J ~ 65 Lighthouses, 2 Lightships, 25 Life Saving Stations Visited ~
"I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
John 8:12
Re: New Boathouse at Wash Woods LSS #191943 01/03/07 11:50 AM
beachbum1616 Offline
Greg,

We came very close to spending New Years on the Outer Banks. I know we would have made the trip up to Wash Woods because we always drive up the beach when we are going to Currituck. I am looking forward to your photos when you return. I think we will be out that way in April. Maybe they will have more completed by then.

Stephen

65 Lighthouses, 3 Lightships, and 18 Life-Saving Stations Visited!

Moderated by  Lighthouser 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 840 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users