a Florida Life Saving Station #191765 09/30/06 01:03 AM
ericlighthouse Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko

Gilbert's Bar House of Refuge - Life Saving Station

Look on the porch, two lights.

A live saving replica boat.

The tower. Look at the gound. This is one of the few places that Florida Beach has rock formations on the beach. This is on Hutchinson Island near Stuart, Florida, just north of Jupiter.

It is hard to see but there is a light in the tower.

We went down Sunday and it was suppose to be open, but no one was around and the place is surrounded by fence or I would have better pictures. We will try again another day.

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: a Florida Life Saving Station #191766 09/30/06 10:56 AM
beachbum1616 Offline
If I may, houses of refuge are different than lifesaving stations in that the houses were normally ran by a married couple, and they were only safe places for ship-wrecked mariners who were able to make it to shore on their own. No crew of surfmen were stationed there and no rescues (that I am aware of) took place at these "stations."

And there is a difference between a lifesaving station and a life boat station, but we won't get in to that here.

Stephen

65 Lighthouses, 3 Lightships, and 18 Life-Saving Stations Visited!
Re: a Florida Life Saving Station #191767 09/30/06 11:14 AM
beachbum1616 Offline
As a follow up from my site:

Quote:
There were three main classes of Life-Saving Stations. Life-Saving Stations were designed to house paid crews, equipped with surfboats and other equipment to be used in the saving of lives from wrecked ships just off shore. These stations primarily were built along the Atlantic coast, but were later established along the shores of the Gulf, Pacific and the Great Lakes. Houses of refuge were built only to provide shelter, food and other provisions to those who were able to reach shore with out aid, and were found exclusively along the eastern coast of Florida. Lifeboats stations were the last type of station established. These stations were modeled after the British system, using volunteer crews equipped with lifeboats used in rescues. Stations of this type were also established along the Atlantic and Pacific coasts and the Great Lakes as well.
The reason that they were manned only by couples was due to the fact that most ships that wrecked along the FL coast, the wrecks were so close to the shore that the crews could come ashore in their own boat. Then they needed food, water and shelter since no one lived along some of the longer stretches of beaches during that time.

Stephen

65 Lighthouses, 3 Lightships, and 18 Life-Saving Stations Visited!
Re: a Florida Life Saving Station #191768 09/30/06 09:26 PM
Bill and Judy Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
That is interesting and good to learn the difference between the three types.
Thanks,
Judy

Re: a Florida Life Saving Station #191769 10/01/06 04:37 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Eric - is that Gilbert's Bar House of Refuge a restoration, re-creation or the real thing? And what city is it near?

Re: a Florida Life Saving Station #191770 10/01/06 05:58 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
House of Refuge is original...

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: a Florida Life Saving Station #191771 10/01/06 08:08 PM
beachcomber Offline
If y'all will read in the Official Collectors Guide, under "Harbour Lights Life Saving Stations" (when the book comes out, of course,), "The History of the United States Life-Saving Service" gives info about the House of Refuge on Lowell's Island near Boston. In the 1700s, a group of concerned citizens established the Humane Society of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and set up "huts" along the coast to help shipwreck victims. The "History" is a copy of the brochure that came with Point Allerton when it was first issued by Harbour Lights.

In case you don't know, Stephen is our resident expert on Life-Saving Stations. Do visit his website when you get a chance. Plan to spend some time because he has done extensive research and provides fascinating indepth information. cool

beachcomber
Re: a Florida Life Saving Station #191772 10/01/06 09:45 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
So, the Humane Society has evolved from an organization that helped shipwrecked sailors to one that helps unwanted animals . . . I just know there are some interesting stories on that evolution process. . . .

Re: a Florida Life Saving Station #191773 10/01/06 10:43 PM
ericlighthouse Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Gibert's Bar House of Refuge is a restoration. The boat is a replica.

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: a Florida Life Saving Station #191774 10/02/06 11:47 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Yes I agree, it's good to know the differences between these buildings. As far as the married couple requirement, it seems that the wife was needed to do the majority of the work - cooking, cleaning, laundry for the stranded crewmen. Some things never change.....

So I guess those of us who've taken in animals live in "Houses of Refuge"??? smile

Re: a Florida Life Saving Station #191775 10/02/06 12:20 PM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
This information has fascinated me. I knew about the different types of stations, but the info on the Houses of Refuge had not really registered, maybe because I hadn't actually seen one.

Thank youy Eric for sharing this one with us, and Stephen for your additional information.

Stephen added...
Quote:
The reason that they were manned only by couples was due to the fact that most ships that wrecked along the FL coast, the wrecks were so close to the shore that the crews could come ashore in their own boat. Then they needed food, water and shelter since no one lived along some of the longer stretches of beaches during that time.
Now it all makes perfect sense!

Eric, maybe you can discover along the way how many of these are still standing in Fla.

Thanks guys! smile

Judy

Judy

Moderated by  Lighthouser 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 929 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users