Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
New Jersey Challenge #191691 07/01/05 03:56 PM
catzb1 Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
Is anyone doing the New Jersey Challenge? As it turns out, we will be visiting family in Pennsylvania that week and we will be heading back to Florida on the day the challenge begins. I think we can do all 11 lights...in one day! My husband thinks I am crazy, but, what else is new? New Jersey isn't that big. We'll see what happens!

Cathy eek laugh

Re: New Jersey Challenge #191692 07/01/05 04:51 PM
sandy Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Cathy,

If you can find alternate ways to travel that don't use the Garden State, you might be able to see 11 lights. We spent last weekend there and, like New York, will not venture to that state anytime soon if we have to use the Garden State. Bumper to bumper from one toll booth to the next all day Saturday; everyone travelling into New Jersey on Sunday was dealing with the same thing that day as well. We were headed back to CT and were truly grateful we weren't on the other side. I'm not familiar with how the challenges work, but if you can navigate using your own routes, etc. strongly suggest that you have a plan to circumvent the traffic tieups.

Re: New Jersey Challenge #191693 07/01/05 05:04 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Cathy,

It is possible to do all 11 Lighthouses in the NJ Challenge in one day. We have people do it every year.

It's not as easy as it looks though- yes NJ is a small state but it can be decieving.

You would travel about 400 miles and take about 11 hours to do it. I mapped it out starting in camden on the East side of the Walt whitman Bridge and went south then north and then back south again to I-195 crossing th state to I-295 to head south for Florida.

I think in this case your husband might just be right- about not being able to do the challenge in one day. I can's speak for the crazy part. laugh

If you do decide to do the challenge and it is the sunday i'll be at Sea girt in the afternoon along with my wife Esther volunteering for the NJLHS.

We'll be doing the challenge on Saturday and finishing up on Sunday morning.

Dennis

Re: New Jersey Challenge #191694 07/01/05 06:29 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Cathy-It is possible to do it in a day. However, forget about taking a break for a walk on the beach or anything. Bring lunch with you. You'd have to be in and out of every light, and might not have time to climb all 11.

I'll also be at Sea Girt on Sunday, giving tours at my favourite light. I'd be there Saturday, too, but of all weekends, that's the PSAT. frown

Re: New Jersey Challenge #191695 07/01/05 07:43 PM
catzb1 Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
We will definitely be there for the challenge. We haven't been home to Pennsylvania for a visit since last September, so we will definitely have to go in October. I'm really looking forward to it now!
Cathy

Re: New Jersey Challenge #191696 07/01/05 09:20 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Sandy,

Keep in mind the Challenge happens in October. the routes to the Shore are not quite so bad then.

I was on the Garden state Parkway last Saturday going from Tarrytown lighthouse to Sandy Hook on my way to the PNC Bank Arts Center for the James Taylor show and I ran into the same traffic.

There was a 7 mile backup for a toll booth that only those paying cash for had to actually stop. those using easy pass could zip through at full speed- which of course wasn't that fast.

You do use the GSP quite a bit going from one Lighthouse to the next- especially from Sea Girt south to Cape May. There are not many other choices for much of the way- in fact for part of the way Rt 9 is the GSP.

I've also spent many an hour trying to drive the parking lot called I-95 in CT from the NY border to the Connecticut River. Beth, my daughter, went to the University of Rhode Island and we drove up there many times.

I usually go up I-87 to I-84 and go over to RT 9 and come back down. It's a bit longer but usually takes less time and is definitely less aggravating.

Last point- the traffic on both the GSP and I-95 in CT is nothing compared to traffic almost any time of year on the west end of Long Island and on the east end during the summer.

Dennis

Re: New Jersey Challenge #191697 07/01/05 09:31 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
Originally posted by seagirt:
Cathy-It is possible to do it in a day. However, forget about taking a break for a walk on the beach or anything. Bring lunch with you. You'd have to be in and out of every light, and might not have time to climb all 11.
frown
Greg,

There is no way possible to do all 11 Lighthouses in one day and climb them all.

There are a number of them that you often have to wait quite some time to get into to climb- even Sea Girt can back up because of the size of it's Lantern room.(4-5 people at one time)

East Point (3-4 people at one time)is usually a long wait, Hereford Inlet (4-5 people at one time)can back up, Sandy Hook (7-8 people at one time) requires a wait.

They all require at least 15-20 minutes to climb and those above can take 1-2 hours to actually climb on the challenge weekend days.

I would not advise anybody to try doing the Challenge in one day but it is doable- just barely. Anyone choosing to do this would have to speed and just jump out of the car and get your token and get right back in.

It's not the best way to experience the lighthouses, but it can be done if a person wants to do it.

You would have to be at the first Lighthouse before it actually opens and just kkep on truckin' the whole day long.

I was not exagerating when I said it takes almost 400 miles and 11 hours of driving to finish in one day. You might cut down the driving time by speeding whenever possible but again I wouldn't reccomend it to anyone.

Take the 2 days and go at a more leisurely pace and actually get to enjoy and experience the Lighthouses - and the other Wackos you will run into on the way. You might still not get to climb all of the Lighthouses if you take 2 days to do the challenge- but you'll have more fun and meet some nice people.

Dennis

Re: New Jersey Challenge #191698 07/01/05 11:30 PM
Grover Offline
Cathy,

I need to side with Dennis on this one ...

Trying to do all 11 in one day is not the way to do this. Just visit Sandy's posts of her recent visit and you'll know why you want to spend a good amount of time at each light ...

Look at the architectural gems we have ... from the Twin Lights ... to Sea Girt ... to East Point ... to Hereford Inlet ... How could you not want to soak up the atmosphere and admire the structures at each of those sites ...

Then you have the Atlantic Towers ... you'll want to walk the grounds at Sandy Hook (and Ft Hancock) ... the beaches at Barnegat ... maybe the boardwalk a bit at Absecon and maybe just stare a bit at the tallest, white-est lighthouse I've ever seen at Cape May ...

You may even want to see a lighthouse stuck in the middle of a little league ballfield ... we have one of those, too.

Take it from a native ... Autumn is the very best time to be at the NJ shore ... take your time and enjoy it ... if at all possible, give it the second day.

Barry

"Wisdom and Strength are NOT opposing values"
Re: New Jersey Challenge #191699 07/02/05 09:08 AM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
If the second day is not available, why not just pick one side of the state or the other, then at a later date see the rest?

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: New Jersey Challenge #191700 07/02/05 10:24 AM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Eric,

That of course is always an idea- we were just addressing the idea that Cathy started with- doing the Challenge in one day.

You can get a good number of the Lighthouses in on a one day trip. There will still be some back and forth to it though.

Coming from PA I'd suggest doing the River Lighthouses and East Point and possibly Cape May Hereford and then returning leaving the rest for another trip.

Dennis

Re: New Jersey Challenge #191701 07/02/05 12:40 PM
catzb1 Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
Dennis and Eric,

Thanks for the advice,but without knowing me, you would never know that I'd rather try to cram it all in in one day unlike a normal person would! laugh We have to be back in Florida by Sunday night and its a 13 to 14 hour trip from the Poconos (flying under the radar). It's like how I collect Harbour Lights...I want them all now!!!!

Cathy wink

Re: New Jersey Challenge #191702 07/02/05 12:46 PM
catzb1 Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
Honestly, we probably will save the southern part of the state for Sunday AM and then leave from there. From Wildwood south, we can hit 5 on the list: Hereford Inlet, Cape May, East Point,Finns Point, and Tinicum(within a few hours , I guess) That leaves 6 for Saturday...not too bad. My husband has a way of evening out my mania when it comes to traveling and lighthouses!

Cathy smile

Re: New Jersey Challenge #191703 10/02/05 08:44 PM
DMancini Offline
Bumping this thread back up.

So, who's going to the Challenge? Bob and I have cleared our schedules, and we will be attending. We will likely start off at Tinicum and work our way toward Sandy Hook. Have our hotel reservations in West Atlantic City.

Diane
Re: New Jersey Challenge #191704 10/02/05 09:59 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Diane,

I'm probably going to try and do the whole Challenge even though I had to skip the Maryland and will not get my Triple Crown. I had cancelled all my trips but the main reason for that changed last Sunday with my mother's passing.

We might actually be at some of the same places at the same time on Saturday if we decide to try and do it

Esther and I will be volunteering at Sea Girt on sunday afternoon for the NJLHS. hope to see you there- but you may have gone through by the time we get there.

Dennis

Re: New Jersey Challenge #191705 10/02/05 11:26 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I'm still at Sea Girt Sunday. I might also go down part of Saturday, depending on when I get out of the PSATs. I think they end around 1:00, so if I get right out, go home, pack for a night with my grandparents (who have a house in Spring Lake), and get out, I might be able to do a couple hours at the end of the day.

A note to those who might want to meet me at the Challenge - I don't volunteer with NJLHS, I help the Sea Girt Lighthouse Citizen's Committee (who runs the lighthouse) with tours. Since, during the Challenge, we usually split people up and put one volunteer in each room, I'm usually in my favourite space, the lantern room. If you want to see me, and don't plan on climbing the lighthouse, ask someone for Greg. If they don't know who I am (I know most of the volunteers there, but just in case), tell them I'm the 15-year-old volunteer. That should jog their memory. smile Then someone can call me down, fill in for me for a lantern load or two, and I can chat.

I'm looking forward to meeting some more Wackos this year...it's always a pleasure to see friends, old or new. smile

Re: New Jersey Challenge #191706 10/03/05 11:17 AM
eastpoint Offline
I'll be somewhere at Eastpoint both days of the Challenge Saturday & Sunday. I will have my Wacko badge on so look around. If you are planning on climbing Eastpoint I would recommend getting there early or at the end of the day. The Maurice River Historical society will be manning the light from 10:00 to 5:00 each day but there will be NJLHS people there early each day.

Hank

Re: New Jersey Challenge #191707 10/03/05 04:57 PM
catzb1 Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
My husband and I were planning to do the challenge, but, I got a job! ( Just think of all the lighthuses I can buy now!) So we have to cancel our trip up north. I was really looking forward to this trip, but....I don't think they'll give me a week off this soon.

frown Cathy frown

Re: New Jersey Challenge #191708 10/14/05 10:40 AM
DMancini Offline
We're finalizing our plans for the weekend.

We're leaving at 4am (!!) tomorrow for the drive from LI to Tinicum (we want to be there when it opens).

We are going to have quite the caravan...Nancy Bahnsen, her husband, Jeff, and their three kids, Bob, and myself.

So if you see my red Chevy HHR at any of the lighthouses, come on over and say "hi." laugh

Diane

Moderated by  PFC 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 900 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users