Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
NJ Challenge 2006 #191259 09/24/06 06:56 PM
seagirt Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
That's right...time again. October 14-15. The usual route, but this year, there will be a new feature - NIGHT CLIMBS on Saturday, with extended 6-8 hours at Sandy Hook, Absecon, Cape May and Tinicum. This might make it easier if you've always wanted to do it, but didn't think you could fit all that into two days - the extended hours give you two more lighthousing hours!

Here's the website to get more info: http://www.njlhs.org/challenge/challenge.html

I'll be manning my usual post at Sea Girt. I'm definitely there Saturday, and maybe Sunday. There's a book event in NYC called the "Great Read in the Park" that day, and if it's nice, I may go home to go. If not, I'm sticking around. I might stick around anyway.

Hopefully I'll meet some CF members there. I know Dennis is working somewhere, and other CF members may be, too. I'll have my Wacko badge and NJLHS nametag, so I'll be hard to miss. Oh yeah, and I'll be the only 16 year old working there too. Guess that's a pretty good identifier.

Would love to meet some people there! Who's going this year?

Re: NJ Challenge 2006 #191260 09/24/06 07:28 PM
beachcomber Offline
Sounds really super! Wish I could make it - everything is just too far away for me! :rolleyes:

beachcomber
Re: NJ Challenge 2006 #191261 09/24/06 10:37 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Esther and I will be volunteering somplace in the southern part of NJ- either Hereford Inlet (Greg's second favorite NJ LH), Cape May or Absecon. We haven't been told yet.

There is some bad news for the Challenge- and beyond- though.

Finn's Point is no longer open at all. The budget was cut at the Supawna Meadows National Wildlife Refuge which the Lighthouse is part of.

There is no indication when this will change.

The Challenge Point will be at Ft Mott which is a NJ State Park just down the road. Signs will be posted to direct people.

I'm hoping that something can be done as soon as possible to change this situation but I have been told the situation is not hopeful and no change of heart is going to happen.

Dennis

Re: NJ Challenge 2006 #191262 09/25/06 11:54 PM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Not going this year, but maybe next year.

The night climbs are a great idea. cool

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: NJ Challenge 2006 #191263 09/26/06 10:21 AM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I've started thinking about attemping this for the first time.

Haven't seen most of these lights, so I'm not sure if I will be able to pry myself away from each lighthouse fast enough in order to accomplish the challenge in time.

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: NJ Challenge 2006 #191264 09/26/06 11:31 AM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Lighthouse Loon, go if you can. It's not necessary to actually complete the challenge. The one's that you do get to will be well worth your time. Plus, you'll meet a lot of other lighthouse folks along the way.

The addition of the night climbs this year is a really neat idea, and I'm sorry I will miss it.

I will be in CT that weekend attending the NELL fall meeting and the re-lighting of Avery Point.

Judy

Judy
Re: NJ Challenge 2006 #191265 09/26/06 04:43 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
Originally posted by Lighthouse Loon:
I've started thinking about attemping this for the first time.

Haven't seen most of these lights, so I'm not sure if I will be able to pry myself away from each lighthouse fast enough in order to accomplish the challenge in time.
Judy is right- the idea is not to worry about completing the challenge. The idea is to introduce the NJ Lighthouses to the people.

See whichever ones you get to and see the rest later- it really isn't that ahrd to do all of them over the 2 days. You just need to use some good judgement- don't try and climb or spend a long time at all three of the tall towere- Cape May, Absecon and Barnegat. Pick one to climb and just take a quick look at the others this trip.

Finn's Point and Tinicum are very similar so with Finn's Point closed for climbing you'll save some time there.

East Point is not open very often so take the time to experience that one fully- it's a great one. the outside and the Lantern room have been restored while the interior ranges from the vandalized and unrestored lower level to the middle level where some work has been done and higher up where it is even closer to being restored. It gives you the opportunity to see a work in progress. East Point is small so the line to climb the tower can be long- it's worth it because the interior is open more often that is has been in the past but it's still not open very often.

Hereford and Sea Girt are similar in that they are part of an old Victorian style house. They are also similar in that they have very small lantern rooms and it can take a bit of waiting at times to get up into them. I'd say if you think time is a problem make Sea Girt the priority as it is not open as often as Hereford is- and if you don't climb Cape May it gives you more incentive to go back south at a later date. Hereford also has a lovely garden behind it which is worth looking into as well.

Sandy Hook and Navesink are both open a good bit of the time- Sandy Hook is open every weekend from April until October and then again in December for 2-3 weekends. Navesink is open at least 5 days a week year round. these two are so close to each opther that again you can make a nice day trip of going to the two of them- with the bonus of Conover Beacon in Leonardo and Chapel Hill in the hills above the other 3 (best seen after the leaves have fallen)

I don't usually say most of the above around people who are involved with the individual Lighthouses as they quite often don't see it that way. laugh

bottom line- the challenge is supposed to be fun. You're not supposed to learn everything about or experience everythin at each lighthopuse. The idea is to get a feel for NJ Lighthouses- what makes them the same, what makes them different and what makes them important. Go, try and finish the challenge but just make sure you just have fun.

Dennis

Re: NJ Challenge 2006 #191266 09/27/06 12:08 PM
BeaconBob Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Will they have postcards like the Maryland Challenge did this year? I went to that one and had a blast.

Also, is a commemorative T-shirt available for purchase?

Wasn't Donna Elias supposed to be signing prints at Absecon this year?

I heard that Harry Hine from Harbour Lights is supposed to be at Hereford too!

Just looking for confirmation on all of the above! Hope to see a few CF people there!

BB

Bob J ~ 65 Lighthouses, 2 Lightships, 25 Life Saving Stations Visited ~
"I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
John 8:12
Re: NJ Challenge 2006 #191267 09/27/06 05:11 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
Originally posted by BeaconBob:
Will they have postcards like the Maryland Challenge did this year? I went to that one and had a blast.

[b]"No, the token this year will be a puzzle piece at each Lighthouse with the final piece being the one if you complete the challenge.
Also, is a commemorative T-shirt available for purchase?

"T-shirts will be available for purchase- in the past they have been at Cape May, Hereford, Sandy Hook and Tinicum. I can't find confirmation of where they will be sold at this time. I'll check and get back to you on this. "

Wasn't Donna Elias supposed to be signing prints at Absecon this year?

"There is nothing about her being there either on the NJLHS website or at Absecon's website. I'll check on this and get back to you. Skip willets a lighthouse photographer is scheduled to be at Hereford again this year, though."

I heard that Harry Hine from Harbour Lights is supposed to be at Hereford too!

"I seem to recall this as well but I will again confirm and get back to you".

Just looking for confirmation on all of the above! Hope to see a few CF people there!

"We'll be at one of these 3 lighthouses- Cape May, Hereford or Absecon. They haven't told me yet which one we're assigned to."

BB [/b]
Hope the above helps.

Dennis

Re: NJ Challenge 2006 #191268 09/27/06 05:37 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Unless things change, Harry will be at Hereford Inlet during the NJ Challenge.

Re: NJ Challenge 2006 #191269 09/27/06 05:54 PM
BeaconBob Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Thanks wheland (Dennis)!
Looking forward to this event.

"Puzzle Piece"? That should be interesting...
Do you know how big the puzzle will be once completed?

BB

"I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Re: NJ Challenge 2006 #191270 09/27/06 07:00 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave H:
Unless things change, Harry will be at Hereford Inlet during the NJ Challenge.
Dave,

I just checked the HL site and it puts Harry at the Great Lakes Festival with bill on Saturday. Is this still correct and Harry will only be at Hereford on Sunday or is the HL site incorect?

Dennis

Re: NJ Challenge 2006 #191271 09/27/06 07:07 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
Originally posted by BeaconBob:
Thanks wheland (Dennis)!
Looking forward to this event.

"Puzzle Piece"? That should be interesting...
Do you know how big the puzzle will be once completed?

BB
BB,

No I don't but I've addded it ot the questions I've forwarded and hope to get answers to ASAP.

Dennis

Re: NJ Challenge 2006 #191272 10/01/06 01:15 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
OK, I got some answers at the NJLHS Meeting yesterday.

Donna Elias will be at Absecon for the challenge. she will be unveiling a new painting while there.

The page to put the puzzle pieces on is 81/2" by 11". It will be complete without doing a night climb- available at tinicum, Absecon, Cape May or Sandy hook- but if the night climb is done a optional base will be given to signify completion of the night climb.

T-shirts will be availabe as they have been in the past- they will be sold at Tinicum, Sandy Hook, Hereford Inlet, Cape May and Barnegat.

There will also be t-hirts available at Hereford Inlet to benefit the move of Ludlum Beach Lighthouse by the new organization setup for the preservation of the LH.

There will also be a new commemerative postcard of Barnegat Lighthouse availabe at the Museum that is located near the Lighthouse.

I called Hereford Inlet this morning to confirm who will be there and they said that Harry Hine is scheduled to be there both days as well as skip Willets whi is a great photographer (he's been ther for the past several years for the challenge) and Barbara Brinkman with her watercolor paintings.

I could not get confirmation of who will be at any of the other lighthouses but there are usually people at East Point- they definitely will hav efood available. Great roast Beef, Sausage and Keilbasa sandwiches sold by Al & BJ smith with the proceeds going to support the East Point LH. Get there hungry and leave satisfied and feeling better.

If you stop at East Point on Saturday morning to early afternoon or Sunday afternoon make sure you say hello to Esther or I. We'll be doing our volunteering at East Point this year. We would prefer to do it at Hereford Inlet but they need bodies more at East Point. I'll have my Wacko Badge on so don't forget yours.

Dennis

Re: NJ Challenge 2006 #191273 10/01/06 05:45 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Harry has never been scheduled for Alpena, the web site has been in error. (Or, if someone scheduled him they forgot to discuss that with hin...) I spoke with him a week or so ago and he was headed for NJ for the challenge.

Re: NJ Challenge 2006 #191274 10/01/06 07:03 PM
beachcomber Offline
All you have to do is ask on the CFs and someone will be there to provide the info. It's terrific to see how everyone responds to inquiries - there is always an expert for the particular area of interest! Way to go, guys! Wish I could make it, but this year Maine (and Tidewater) had to be my lighthouse experiences. I'm happy! wink

beachcomber
Re: NJ Challenge 2006 #191275 10/01/06 10:32 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave H:
Harry has never been scheduled for Alpena, the web site has been in error. (Or, if someone scheduled him they forgot to discuss that with hin...) I spoke with him a week or so ago and he was headed for NJ for the challenge.
Well, Dave I just rechecked the HL Website which claims to have been updated on 9-30-06 and it still lists both Bill & Harry for the Great Lakes event.

It helps if the official website listing things is correct- or at least doesn't contradict other sources.

Dennis

Re: NJ Challenge 2006 #191276 10/02/06 12:20 AM
BeaconBob Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Dennis,
Thanks for the updated info...I will be trying to do this challenge for the first time this year.
I will look for you at East Point but as of this moment...I do not possess any badges from the CF and I am not a wacko....yet...although I hope to be one soon! LOL!

I will most likely be wearing my Maryland Challenge 2006 shirt which is GREEN this year!

Hope to see you and Esther at East Point!

BB

Re: NJ Challenge 2006 #191277 10/02/06 02:15 AM
beachcomber Offline
Bob, you don't need to be a Wacko to get the badge. Just email Dave that you want a badge and send him your donation for Cape St. George and he will get one for you. You need to do this asap since he will be leaving for Maine pretty soon.

beachcomber
Re: NJ Challenge 2006 #191278 10/02/06 10:51 AM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Just remembered I didn't order my Wacko badge yet. Order placed, now I just hope I get it in time for the NJ Challenge. Not sure if Dave is working on any badges this week before he leaves for Maine.

Stan M
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: NJ Challenge 2006 #191279 10/02/06 11:06 AM
BeaconBob Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Grace, just saw your post...didn't know about the badge fundraiser but what a great idea!
Dave...if your reading this...are you still doing badges this week? How can I get payment or donation to you so I can get one before the NJ Challenge?

thanks,

BB

Re: NJ Challenge 2006 #191280 10/02/06 12:43 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
I will try to get a badge in the mail for both of you today. Email sent to both of you.

Re: NJ Challenge 2006 #191281 10/02/06 04:11 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Thanks Again, Dave laugh

Stan M
Re: NJ Challenge 2006 #191282 10/02/06 05:03 PM
BeaconBob Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Thanks Dave!
Check will go out ASAP!

BB

Re: NJ Challenge 2006 #191283 10/05/06 02:58 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Received my Wacko badge in todays mail.

Thanks Dave !!!

cool laugh smile cool

Stan M
Re: NJ Challenge 2006 #191284 10/05/06 10:36 PM
BeaconBob Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Me too!
Thanks Dave!

BB

Re: NJ Challenge 2006 #191285 10/13/06 12:21 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I looked and couldn't find this thread- brain lock- so I started a new one.

Just bringing it back up because of all the good info included.

Hope to see some of you this weekend at East Point.

Dennis

Re: NJ Challenge 2006 #191286 10/16/06 11:24 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I can't say with 100 certainty but it looks like the 7th Annual NJ Lighthouse Challenge was a huge success again. The night Climbs at Cape May, Sandy Hook, Tinicum and Absecon were very popular- there were almost 500 people at Sandy Hook just for the night climb. I'm not sure how amny actually got in though.

We had over 1300 visitors at East Point over the two days.This was about the same as last year. We only had 5 groups - a total of 12 people- finish the challenge at East Point. That's not unusual because East Point is not a natural place to finish- Sandy Hook and Tinicum usually havbe the most finishers because many people either start or finish at one or the other.

Esther and I spent the morning on Saturday at East Point- actually we stayed around until about 2 PM. We were back on sunday from about Noon until 6:15. I did not see any Wackos- except for East Point (Hank). He did see Beacon Bob on Sat afternoon.

More to follow in a seperate post about our Personal Mini Lighthouse Challenge- with photos.

Dennis

Re: NJ Challenge 2006 #191287 10/17/06 11:01 AM
BeaconBob Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Wheland,

We actually made it to East Point on Sunday...I was looking for you and noticed (Hank's) badge and lanyard. I LOVED East Point lighthouse!
And it was great to meet you ...East Point(Hank)!

..and you guys did a great job!!! THANK YOU!!!

I had a thoroughly GREAT time throughout the entire event and I would do it again in a heartbeat! East Point is a MUST SEE lighthouse and is truelly a nice light to see! And it will be even better once the restoration is completed.

And I even picked up one of the last two LE Harbour Lights East Point lighthouses there...as it is now a retired piece! I just can't find the dang seahorse on it yet!

Sorry I missed meeting you! Maybe next time!

BB

Moderated by  PFC 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,040 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users