Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Failed Lighthouse Events #191121 10/30/05 01:36 AM
ericlighthouse Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
I been to 6 lighthouse events in 3 years that did deliver what was promised. frown And I might add that only one was free. Any one else have this much trouble? Or is this normal,and I just don't realize it. confused

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: Failed Lighthouse Events #191122 10/30/05 12:30 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
Originally posted by ericlighthouse:
I been to 6 lighthouse events in 3 years that did deliver what was promised. frown And I might add that only one was free. Any one else have this much trouble? Or is this normal,and I just don't realize it. confused
Eric,

First I'm going to assume that due to the title of this thread you meant to add a word- not- to your original post.

Secondly to give any type of coherant answer I'd need to know what you expected and what you got at these Lighthouse events.

Dennis

Re: Failed Lighthouse Events #191123 10/30/05 07:12 PM
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Yes, I meant did NOT deliver. I was just angry when I wrote it. shocked It was just a matter of poor planning, there was no outside force or weather to blame and perhaps I was the only one disappointed. I will send an email to the group so they will be more careful in the future. My time is valuable to me and I feel I wasted 4 to 5 hours.

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: Failed Lighthouse Events #191124 10/30/05 10:41 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Eric,

I figured that. smile

I'd still like more info so I could intelligently respond to your question.

Dennis

Re: Failed Lighthouse Events #191125 10/30/05 10:56 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
I think we can learn a lot from this thread. Eric. Please let us know what you were EXPECTING before you went, what got DELIVERED (stuff you liked, stuff you didn't like, and what you were expecting that didn't happen.)

Was part of your disappointment because the organizers failed to deliver what they PROMISED?

Or did they not tell you what to expect, leaving you to make up your own expectations -- which they didn't meet?

Re: Failed Lighthouse Events #191126 10/31/05 10:52 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Are you willing to be more specific Eric? Pros and cons of the events? As someone who was involved with the LI Challenge, and other LI events, I know we always welcome feedback either way, that's how we try to improve for the next time.
Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Failed Lighthouse Events #191127 10/31/05 11:15 AM
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
The event was member appreciation for Cape Canaveral Lighthouse members. I am a charter member (for what that's worth). The invite said come and bring your family, we will have a picnic of hamburgers and hot dogs with games for the kids. Followed by: We will see the original site of the original lighthouse (recently uncovered) as well as the original site of the "Iron Lighthouse" (the present one as it was moved 1 1/2 miles in land). Please note that normally I can not get on the Air Force that surrounds the lighthouse. For this event or other we sign up in advance due to security (9-11 and all). Any way, we get to climb the bottom of the lighthouse again, but not any further than before. The little kids have a couple of games to play then we eat. Well, I don't go to eat at these events but I was hungary and even though we signed up in advance, they ran out of hamburgers...no big deal we went to Wendy's later. So after a few words and a raffle, we get on the bus to go to the site (which should have been done on the way in as it is very close to sunset now). We get to the original site and are not allowed off the bus to take pictures and of course I can't see worth a hoot. Then we are told we are not going the the original site of the Iron Lighthouse either, even though it is close by. The sun was still up, plenty of light, but we are rushed back to the main gate where are cars are located. To add insult to injury, I was with the Flordia Lighthouse Association when we had our meeting there last year and we were suppose to see the Iron Lighthouse site then, and did not (I am being to believe it doesn't exist). It sure it seems silly to some, but I would like to see both sites.

Re: Failed Lighthouse Events #191128 10/31/05 01:26 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Eric,

I can understand your frustration. It seems that there was a little problem with the planning of this event.

The persons deciding the timing of events made some possible bad choices- although they may have had their hands tied by the security people who don't care about Lighthouses at all (possibly).

It also looks like they didn't count their food needs very well- these things happen to best of organizations at times.

I'd say thought that at least part of this one can be blamed on the specific security concerns of the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station.

I'm sure the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse society did thier best to get everyone a chance to go to both of the other sites.

I could be wrong but I believe the restriction on going all the way up the Lighthouse is due to safety concerns- for the individuals and for the lens, etc.. Unfortunately many lighthouses have similar restrictions from entering the Lantern Room

Have you addresed these concerns and problems with the organizers of the event? Did you get any type of response from them? What was it?

Hopefully they can address these concerns for the next event they host at the Lighthouse.

Dennis

Re: Failed Lighthouse Events #191129 10/31/05 03:00 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
You've addressed your expectations (which I agree with you), to the event people. I would bet security was a problem but probably could have been waived if they got to the right person.

Bob

ps still looking for the right packaging for you.

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Failed Lighthouse Events #191130 10/31/05 03:02 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
You've addressed your expectations (which I agree with you), to the event people. I would bet security was a problem but probably could have been waived if they got to the right person.

Bob

ps still looking for the right packaging for you.

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Failed Lighthouse Events #191131 10/31/05 03:18 PM
beachcomber Offline
I can certainly understand your frustration, Eric. It is terribly disappointing not to be able to see everything you want to see, especially at a site which is normally totally off limits to the public. You want to take advantage of an event which will allow you access where you can't go as an individual. I agree with Bob that it does appear that the right person was not contacted. Usually, the "right" person is much more responsive to a tour group of lighthouse preservationists and collectors. They know that we are cautious, careful, and respectful when we enter such a site. Security can be dealt with by the right person, as well. It's too bad that you had to come away so diappointed.

beachcomber
Re: Failed Lighthouse Events #191132 10/31/05 03:26 PM
DMancini Offline
I don't know the details surrounding this particular event, but it could have been something beyond the group's fault. Particularly when governmental agencies are involved.

We've had (on more than one occasion) a governmental agency pull the rug out from underneath us (forcing us to cancel an event AFTER it had been publicized and reservations taken) and put up so many barriers and restrictions that it was nearly impossible to do the event. And they have a penchant for changing their requirements at the last minute (like the night before the event).

As for the food, that was poor estimation of food needs, which happens. Whenever we've served food at one of the events, I tend to get out of the way, because people become vultures. laugh wink

Although it may sound like it, I'm not trying to make excuses for the group. I've been in their situation, and can understand when things don't (or can't) go according to plan. It can be just as frustrating for the organizers as it is for the participants.

Since you are letting them know about your disappointment with their event, I'm curious what their response is. I hope someone takes the time to address your concerns.

Diane
Re: Failed Lighthouse Events #191133 10/31/05 04:29 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
In the case of Cape Canaveral I would venture to guess the correct person was involved. I know the restrictions that are in place for a variety of reasons and they are significant. Frustrating to those involved, but you have to stick to the published rules or risk the chance of not being able to return. One of the restrictions at the Cape is even walking in certain areas. It is possible that the area to be viewed was in such a restricted zone.

On the food thing, it is always difficult to plan how much to bring. You don't want a bunch of wasted food, but you want everyone to eat - a delicate balance. It is also possible that some of the early diners took more than their share. I know you have seen this before - people who will take seconds, thirds and even fourths on their first pass thru the line rather than wait for everyone to eat before returning for more food. Sometimes ignorance on the part of the offender, sometimes they are just plain old selfish and rude.

There may have been a logic to the planning of the organizers why you went to the light first and then were to go to the earlier sites. The best way to address that is to sit down and put your thoughts and suggestions in writing. Put those aside for a day or so and then go back and re-read them to be sure you have politely offered comments and constructive criticism.

From the point of view of an event organizer (I have done a few...) you will get better reception if you offer constructive comments and suggestions instead of just griping about something. Anytime a person or group organizes an event they will do their best to make it an enjoyable outing for the participants. Generally they will work thru options, timing, schedules and all sorts of things trying to strike a happy medium given the situation. Trying to make the most of what they have. I am sure this is what was done by the Cape folks. I bet they are more than willing to get those suggestions and comments to help make the next outing better.

Re: Failed Lighthouse Events #191134 10/31/05 05:48 PM
DMancini Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave H:
From the point of view of an event organizer (I have done a few...) you will get better reception if you offer constructive comments and suggestions instead of just griping about something.
Yes! Over the years, we've had a person complain about one thing or another at an event -- but rarely do they offer a solution on how to improve the situation. Sometimes distance is needed (from someone not involved in the planning) to see an area that can be improved.

On the flip side, someone might suggest something that they believe is a viable solution to a problem, but the organizing group has already considered that option and it is not "doable" for whatever reason.

Either way, present your disappointment in a constructive way. You never know, your solution might be the exact way that situation could be handled in the future!

Diane
Re: Failed Lighthouse Events #191135 11/01/05 01:55 AM
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Thanks for the input everyone, I just completed my letter to the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse Foundation. I will let you know what they say.

Just a note about climbing the tower. This lighthouse has four rooms at the bottom (one on top of the other) that are contected by an enclosed staircase (like a skeletal lighthouse). If we could climb past the fourth room, we could then see the open staircase and look up to the bottom of the watch room. The view from the other rooms is a floor of the above room. Also there is an outside staircase that goes from the ground to the 3rd floor, so on the 3rd floor there is a staircase to go up and one to go down. (There is a added second door at ground level into the bottom room.)So traffic would bottle neck a bit after the 3rd room, but no more than any other lighthouse. The members only event has a lot less people than the fund raiser events open to the public.

Re: Failed Lighthouse Events #191136 11/01/05 02:15 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Eric,

As I recall, the reason you can't go any further up the Cape Canaveral tower is safety issues, not because of concern for trafic flow.

Re: Failed Lighthouse Events #191137 11/01/05 10:36 AM
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
I got a responce from Cape Canaveral, in short they apologized and will do better and ask for my patience. The person who responded will forward my comments to the board.

Re: Failed Lighthouse Events #191138 11/02/05 01:19 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Well Eric, while this sort of thing does happen occasionally for whatever reasons, sometimes the opposite happens too.

This past January I attended NELL's LHHC & You event. Our first stop of the day on Saturday was at the Hospital Point Lighthouse. We had been granted permission in advance to enter the grounds for photos. But when we arrived Vice Admiral Pekoske (who lives at the lighthouse)gratiously opened the tower for us as well. In addition he turned on the light in the tower so that we could more easily appreciate the lens in action.

I'm sure we've all encountered similar experiences, times when we've been disappointed but most likely times when we've been more than pleased by lighthouse "events".

Your first post mentioned 6 events. Were they all "not as advertised"? If so we've only heard details on one.

Moderated by  PFC 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,037 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users