Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Mackinaw Ceremonies #190755 06/14/06 12:36 AM
Dave H Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I will warn you up front – this is going to be a fairly large posting, broken into 3 parts, but I plan to keep it all in one thread….

As you are probably aware, this past weekend was a historic one. It is probably the first and only time a ship in the Coast Guard or Navy would be decommissioned and another commissioned in the same ceremony. Of course, the ships I am talking about are the USCGC Mackinaw (WAGB 83, Big Mac) and the USCGC Mackinaw (WLBB 30, Baby Mac).

The day was a beautiful one – temps in the low 60s, a great blue sky and a breeze (actually too much breeze for some of our group). Mary, Jeff and Brighteyes met me at the Cheboygan Front Range Light at about 9:30. After the ladies did a little shopping in the gift shop we headed for the K-Mart parking lot where shuttle busses would pick us up for the short trip to the CG station. Arriving at about 10:15, we were very close to the start of the line. Not too long after we arrived Suzanne and Pam arrived and joined us in line. Busses started making their runs just before 11:00, and we were on the station by 11:00. After getting our bags checked we decided to stake out some seats before looking at the goodies available.

All the seating was under a giant tent – about 2500 seats from what we read. The ceremonies would take place under the tent, but unfortunately all you could see of the ships were their hulls. We sat at the edge of the tent so we could easily step out for photos without bothering others.

Not too far from our seats was the tent with the cakes for the reception. Wouldn’t you like to see the oven they used to bake this cake?

Digger surfaced from his underground safe house long enough to bring his wife Becky to Mackinaw for the weekend:

Here’s a view of the tent and crowd present at this historic ceremony:

As the time approached for the ceremonies to begin, the two crews made their way to the tent. First the crew of WLBB 30:

Then the crew of WAGB 83:

Next came all the dignitaries, including ADM Allen, brand new Commandant of the Coast Guard and Speaker of the House Hastert. After they “arrived” the customary 19-gun salute was given by the downsized saluting battery: One of the speakers later commented that the gun salutes were part of the Coast Guard’s contribution to cormorant control efforts.

Re: Mackinaw Ceremonies #190756 06/14/06 12:38 AM
Dave H Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
After the presentation of the colors, the ceremonies began.

CDR McGuinness read his orders and the command was given to retire the colors on WAGB 83 after her 62 years of service.

Next up was the ceremony to place new Mackinaw into commission. After CDR Little read his orders, he directed that the colors be hoisted on WLBB 30.

After the colors were raised, CDR Little gave the command “Executive Officer, set the first watch” at which time the crew boarded their ship

and manned the rails

Re: Mackinaw Ceremonies #190757 06/14/06 12:39 AM
Dave H Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
After the ceremonies concluded and the “big brass” departed, the two skippers and their spouses left the tent:

CDR & Mrs. McGuiness (WAGB 83)

CDR & Mrs. Little (WLBB 30)

“Mackinaw, Arriving” (CDR Little boards his command for the first time after it is placed into commission)

The Commandant and Speaker of the House also boarded WLBB 30 for brief tours of the new ship. The other guests couldn’t board until they had left the ship….

“Coast Guard, Departing”

“Speaker of the House, Departing”

Being good Wacko’s the group did take a moment for pictures:

(from the left, Pam, Suzanne, Mary & Jeff and Brighteyes; Digger and family had departed. Also at the ceremony were collectors Max & Sue Brail.)

Both skippers were incredibly gracious throughout the long afternoon, speaking with folks and posing for pictures, signing programs, even though they both had many other things to be doing including spending a little time with their families on this special day. We had been lucky enough to spend a few minutes visiting with the skippers. The group wanted a picture with the two skippers, but didn’t want to interrupt them, so we have:

Along the way we also toured WLBB 30 – what an interesting ship! Better know your electronics if you are going to serve on this one! High tech from top to bottom. I have never seen so much glass on the bridge of a ship as is on this one! Pictures of the tour are for another thread, maybe Suzanne can come along and share some.

What a day we all had. Not too often are you lucky enough to be present at something as historic as this, and I think I speak for all of us when I say that we were certainly privileged to be able to be there.

Re: Mackinaw Ceremonies #190758 06/14/06 02:06 AM
beachcomber Offline
Terrific pictures, Dave! Thanks so much for taking us there with you. What a unique and historic event. Makes one proud to be an American.

beachcomber
Re: Mackinaw Ceremonies #190759 06/14/06 02:06 AM
Jenifer Selwa Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
How COOL. Sure wish we had gone, but too many things around the house, like chasing little children! Thank you for posting, Dave!

Re: Mackinaw Ceremonies #190760 06/14/06 02:35 AM
K
keeperpam2 Offline
Wacko
Wacko
K
It was an awesome day! One I won't forget....

Re: Mackinaw Ceremonies #190761 06/14/06 11:18 AM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Dave, your commentary and photos tell the story of the day in a beautiful way. Thank you! smile

I'm not going to tell how many times I've read through this thread. You were witness to history unfolding and with photos, you've shared with all of us.

I love the photo in the tent of some of you posing with the two skippers "without interupting". It's a portrait of SIX Harbour Lights collectors taken by a HL collector.

Yep, I counted right. CDR John Little is also a Harbour Lights collector. cool

Thanks so much, Dave.

Judy
Re: Mackinaw Ceremonies #190762 06/14/06 12:21 PM
beachcomber Offline
Judy, you are so right; that is a pretty special picture - all the collectors in the picture need a framed copy. Talk about "historical"! cool

beachcomber
Re: Mackinaw Ceremonies #190763 06/19/06 08:05 PM
regalhobo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Thanks Dave. This helps (a little) to take out the sting of not being able to make it up there for this historic event. One that I truly regretted not being able to attend. frown

smile cool

regalhobo
Tom K

:) :cool:

Moderated by  Hal Dean 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (DANIEL, Rock), 1,343 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users