Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Survey of years of Coast Guard duty of forum members #190198 08/11/04 02:31 AM
Hal Dean Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
I received a suggestion from Mike Hancock about a survey of time of duty forum members served in the Coast Guard. I think it is a great idea so I will start if off about me.
I was in the Coast Guard from 1951 through 1954
I took boot camp at Alameda Calif. as Cape May NJ was filled up at that time. After boot camp I was assigned to the 3rd Coast Guard district in New York. I was then sent to serve on the Scotland Lightship off of Sandy Hook NJ for 2 years and then I transfered to the Overfalls Lightship off of Lewes De.to finish up my 3 years in the Coast Guard. Hal

Re: Survey of years of Coast Guard duty of forum members #190199 08/11/04 10:17 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
I was in the Navy and Coast Guard for a total of 23 years. I retired from the Coast Guard as a CWO3(Electronics). I spent 4 1/2 years in the Navy going to Boot Camp at Great Lakes and Electronics Technician School also at Great Lakes. I was stationed at NAS Jacksonville, FL for the remainder of my 4 1/2 years with a "C" school at Portsmouth, VA in between.

I got out of the Navy and entered the Coast Guard 5 months later as an ETN2 and was stationed at CG Base Mayport FL for 6 months. I then got orders to the Galloping Ghost of the Florida Coast(USCGC Androscoggin) stationed at Miami, FL where we left for a one year all expense paid cruise to Viet Nam. When we got back to Miami, I got stationed at CG Base Miami Beach and then the CG Seventh District Office at Miami. I made Chief and was transferred to Portsmouth, Va for a tour on the USCGC Ingham. My next duty station was CG Station Ponce De Leon Inlet, FL and then a tour of duty on an isolated Loran A Station in Yakutat, Ak. Coming off isolated I got orders to the CG Oceanographic Unit in Washington DC at the Navy Yards. I made CWO while at the Oceanographic Unit and received orders to Coast Guard Headquarters, Shipboard Electronics Division and stayed there for 6 years until I retired in 1985. Been here in Ocala, FL ever since working for Lockheed Martin and looking forward to retiring next year in June when I'm 62.

Rich
Re: Survey of years of Coast Guard duty of forum members #190200 08/11/04 10:58 PM
lmyhre Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I was a member of the Coast Guard for 3 years and 4 months. From February 1966 to June 1966 at OCS(Officer Candidate School) in Yorktown, VA and then from June 1966 to June 1969 at CoastGuard Base Mobile, Alabame where I was the Executive Officer and Industrial Manager. We were also the Group Command for Group Mobile which included all stations from Port St. Joe, FL to Gulfport, MS.

Larry

Re: Survey of years of Coast Guard duty of forum members #190201 08/12/04 05:00 AM
Too Many Stairs Offline
I got about two days through MEPS, but that's as far as I got, stupid artistes. But I wanted a USCG career.

Chesapeake Bay Lighthouse Photographer
Save The Bay
-Aaron
Re: Survey of years of Coast Guard duty of forum members #190202 09/12/04 09:33 PM
RRohweder Offline
July 65 - August 88: 23 years
Boot Camp; Cape May, NJ
CGC STORIS, Kodiak, AK
CG Station St. Clair Flats; Harsens Island, MI
CG Station Port Huron, MI
St. Clair Flats again
CGC POINT JUDITH; Santa Barbara, CA
CGC MELLON; Honolulu, HI
CG Station Manasquan Inlet, Pt. Pleasant Beach, NJ
CG Group; Cape May, NJ
CG Station Humboldt Bay, Samoa, CA
smile
The other Rich

Moderated by  Hal Dean 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,429 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users