Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Happy Birthday #190157 07/31/05 03:14 PM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
August 4th is the Coast Guard's 215th Birthday. Happy Birthday to all current Coasties, ex-Coasties and wanabe Coasties. Here's a little history of the nation's oldest sea going service

The United States Coast Guard, one of the country's five armed services, is also one of the most unique agencies of the federal government. We trace our history back to 4 August 1790, when the first Congress authorized the construction of ten vessels to enforce tariff and trade laws, prevent smuggling, and protect the collection of the federal revenue. Known variously as the Revenue Marine and the Revenue Cutter Service, we expanded in size and responsibilities as the nation grew.

These added responsibilities included humanitarian duties such as aiding mariners in distress. Our law enforcement functions also continued to expand. Congress tasked us with enforcing laws against slavery, piracy, and enlarged our responsibilities to prevent smuggling. We were also given the responsibility to protect the marine environment, explore and police Alaska, and chart the growing nation's coastlines, all well before the turn of the twentieth century.

The service received its present name in 1915 under an act of Congress when the Revenue Cutter Service merged with the Life-Saving Service. The nation now had a single maritime service dedicated to saving life at sea and enforcing the nation's maritime laws. We began to maintain the country's aids to maritime navigation, including operating the nation's lighthouses, when the Lighthouse Service was transferred to the Coast Guard in 1939. Later, in 1946, Congress permanently transferred the Bureau of Marine Inspection and Navigation to the Coast Guard, thereby placing merchant marine licensing and merchant vessel safety under our purview.

The Coast Guard is one of the oldest organizations of the federal government and, until the Navy Department was established in 1798, we served as the nation's only armed force afloat. We have continued to protect the nation throughout our long history and have served proudly in every one of the nation's conflicts. Our national defense responsibilities remain one of our most important functions even today.

In times of peace we operate as part of the Department of Homeland Security, serving as the nation's front-line agency for enforcing our laws at sea, protecting our coastline and ports, and saving life. In times of war, or on direction of the President, we serve under the Navy Department.

Rich
Re: Happy Birthday #190158 07/31/05 07:48 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Congratulations to the Coast Guard on it's 215th Birthday and to the men and women who continue to serve in it's proud tradition of keeping our shores safe. You must be very proud of your service in the CG RIch. Thanks for bringing this important date to our attention.

Bert smile

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: Happy Birthday #190159 08/03/05 10:43 AM
Lighthouse Duo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Wow... 215 years... great history! Congratulations to the organisation and all the indiviuals working in it!

Margret
Lighthouse Duo
Live Love Laugh ...
Re: Happy Birthday #190160 08/03/05 11:46 AM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Congratulations to the Coast Guard! I think that people sometimes don't realise how much this branch does, since the CG doesn't really fight on the front lines abroad. But without them, we wouldn't have our waters secured, our lighthouses standing, or a multitude of other good things.

215 years....wow!

Re: Happy Birthday #190161 08/03/05 02:46 PM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Wrong Greg. You better do some research on the subject of the Coast Guard not fighting on the front lines. Just about every landing craft during WWII had a Coastie at the helm. In Viet Nam the Coast Guard had more people percentage wise in Nam then any other service branch. During my tour in Nam between 1967-1968 the Coast Guard had over 2000 men there. They patroled rivers in 82 Patrol Boats and Swift Style boats and also had cutters patroling the coastal waters. They also manned LORAN stations in country and in several other bordering countries The Coast Guard at that time had about 32,000 men and woman so in just that year period alone over 6% of their force was in Nam. During the entire time that Nam was going on approximately 35% of the people in the Coast Guard saw duty in Nam. The Coast Guard is in Iraq now and is usually anywhere that there is water during wartime.

So young man, go to your history book and study about the Coast Guard. That will be your summer assignment. Have a great day.

Rich
Re: Happy Birthday #190162 08/03/05 04:21 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
A small service but we do it all! We've always been on the front line wether at home or abroad! The media just doesn't know how to report the full story. No harm, no foul Greg, I know what you intended. For those that don't know what the Coast Guard's involvement has been here's just a small tidbit of just one Port Security Unit's mission.

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-cp/history/OIF_USCGR_Article.html

Happy Coast Guard Day, and remember those Coasties that have given their lives here and in the Persian Gulf!!!

Still Semper Paratus!

Sean

Re: Happy Birthday #190163 08/03/05 04:29 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Sorry if my wording caused any offence, again. (I seem to be really bad at wording things.) I meant that to the public, the CG doesn't fight in the battle zone, because the media doesn't report that (it's not negative, so they have no reason to.) I know and really respect the CG's presence abroad, but I really wish that the public did.

I feel like I should hire an editor to read my posts. :rolleyes:

Re: Happy Birthday #190164 08/03/05 07:57 PM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
No offense taken Greg but I felt that if I didn't respond then someone else reading your post would not know, or understand, that the Coast Guard is a multi functional battle ready service branch. The old saying that has been keeping the Coast Guard going for years is "We have done so much with so little for so long that we will continue to do everything with nothing forever".

Rich
Re: Happy Birthday #190165 08/03/05 08:28 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks Rich for the history review of the Coast Guard.
I think many of us think like Greg (or what we thought Greg ment).
That the coast guard deals mainly with homeland security, illegal immigrant control, drug control, lighthouse maintenance and life saving at our waters. Working by the river I do see the coast Guard constantly patrolling our waters during any event. All the shows on TV documentations that I have seen show the Life Guard involved in the above only. But it no way surprises me that the Coast Guard has been involved in the past wars. It only makes sense that our experienced sea men would be sent over seas to battle also.

DANIEL
Re: Happy Birthday #190166 08/04/05 03:34 AM
Ron Offline
Happy 215th Birthday USCG.

Moderated by  Hal Dean 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,420 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users