Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
You forgot your cell phone... #190086 09/03/04 06:54 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
You've left the house and you won't be back for at least 4 hours. It might not be a long distance trip.

You don't actually have a schedule; you don't have to be somewhere on this outing at a specific time.

After leaving the house, you realize you forgot your cell phone.

The question is, would you turn around and go get your cell phone if the round-trip back home took...

Re: You forgot your cell phone... #190087 09/03/04 07:00 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
John,

Did you intend to leave off "nah, I'll just tough it out" as one of the options?

Re: You forgot your cell phone... #190088 09/03/04 07:07 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Something similar to forgetting a cellphone happened when my dad and I went up to Lake Ontario. I don't remember what we forgot, but it was enough to turn back in a monsoon to get, with towels along the dash due to the leaking windscreen on the Rover. Still can't figure out why it does that...

I voted 30-45 minutes, but I think it would really matter on the distance I was traveling. If I was going to be gone for a few days, like on a lighthousing trip, then I would definitely. However, if it was just a quick errand, then probably it would be less. Circumstances would definitely have to be taken into account.

Interesting question, John! smile

Re: You forgot your cell phone... #190089 09/03/04 07:27 PM
MrsTLC Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
"nah, I'll just tough it out"
I have to agree with Dave...I would have picked this one... :rolleyes:
Ruthie smile

Ruthie
"Where words fail, Music speaks"
Re: You forgot your cell phone... #190090 09/03/04 07:28 PM
kory63 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Call me "old-fashioned and over the hill"(apologies to Bob Seeger) but even if I had a cell phone, I don't, I would not go back to get it.
Just yesterday at the GREAT NYS STATE FAIR I
had some fun w/a high pressure salesman who wouldn't take no for an answer. I told him I would buy the most expensive package they had, he started to salivate, when he could prove to me that I was the last human on the planet to not have a cell phone. He went away talking to himself.
Why you ask? No real good reason! Basically I find them annoying and intrusive. Even more so than regular phones. I really hate it when I'm somewhere having a good time and people I might be with drop everything(it's happened literally) to answer a call of no consequence. These calls seem to be in the vast majority rather than some true emergency. At least that's my observation.
So I won't have one and there was no catagory for my choice.
Rick :p :p :p

Re: You forgot your cell phone... #190091 09/03/04 10:35 PM
Tammy Wolfe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I'll be one of the last ones on the block to get my "own" cell phone. I get annoyed when people are talking and driving on the freeway. I also get annoyed when people are talking on the phone in grocery stores, restaurants, etc. Recently we've considered getting one because of some family health concerns, and we've been out of town frequently. However, I've noticed that other people with cell phones don't always have coverage in some of the places we've traveled to this year.

For now, the cell phone that I have to carry for one week a month is enough. It pages me when there's a problem with our network equipment at work. A few times during the week it goes off in the middle of the night. I would and have turned around when I've left that phone at home. Fortunately I've remembered within 10 minutes.

Re: You forgot your cell phone... #190092 09/04/04 01:11 AM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
John,

I'm with Dave- I didn't vote because I didn't have the who cares option.

I have had a cell phone for literally years but I still don't have a clue as to how to set up the voice mail option- no need since I don't give naybody the number.

The only time we used the phone is when we went on vacation and wanted to be able to be reached if something came up with Esther's Mother.

I do like to have it along on trips just in case. I actually did use the cellphone to register for the Baltimore Reunion while trapsing around the state of NJ for the first NJ Lighthouse Challenge.

Dennis

Re: You forgot your cell phone... #190093 09/04/04 08:46 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I didn't vote because every option had you returning home to get the cell phone. If I was pulling away from my home to do some errands around town, going out for dinner, or visiting the folks, I wouldn't bother turning around to "fetch da phone". I usually don't turn it on when I'm at work. If I'm on the road, I have it on. When I'm away on the boat I have it on just in case the folks or other family members need to get in touch with me. I do use it to check on the progress of fellow boating friends when we are at or going to the islands.

Use of cell phones are a problem re motor vehicle crashes. Lorna and I were out last night and I have a habit of scrutinizing the people in front of me and whatever I can see in my rearview mirrors. I noticed a young blonde female following my F-150 a little closer than she should. She had a cell phone up to her port side ear (left) and was obviously conversing with someone. I further noticed she was smoking and she was taking a drag every minute or so (hand off the steering wheel when puffing the butt). Then I noticed she was also drinking some sort of cold drink, alternating between drags on the butt. This is not a good example of safe drving techniques.

Do not attempt to repeat this stunt at home. This stunt was executed by a non-professional driver on a way accessible to the public under medium to heavy traffic conditions. As Chris Rock said in "The Best of Chris Rock 2", "I wouldn't be doing that s*** if I were you!"

eek Bob eek

Re: You forgot your cell phone... #190094 09/05/04 01:23 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
No cell phone here. I hardly get any calls on the regular phone so sure don't need a cell phone. Especially for a 4 hour trip. Just leave a message on the home phone and I'll deal with you when I get back! If I'm away for longer than that and you have a problem, call someone else! smile

Re: You forgot your cell phone... #190095 09/05/04 02:22 AM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Well Folks,

Even though I voted in the less than 10 minute category, I actually don’t own a cell phone of my own. Why? – For all of the reasons already stated. They are an annoyance, a nuisance and a horrible distraction in restaurants, shopping malls, theaters, trains, buses, airplanes, automobiles, elevators and anyplace else where people might be gathered. I even saw and heard a person in church answer a call. (The priest got a tad upset.)

And most folks don’t just talk – they almost YELL. I heard a woman tell her friend that she was going to meet her “honey” later in the afternoon. She was married because she also blasted her husband in the sane conversation. And I overheard a lawyer talking about a case he was defending the next day. I also heard a person who worked for the same company I did talk about proprietary information. (Turned him in.)

An acquaintance of mine in Texas loved to go and stand next to the person on the phone and yell at me when I was about 10 feet away. I was embarrassed, but he wasn’t.

Cell phones have a definite place in our present day society. They are needed for emergencies, assistance, to check on children and loved ones and even to cary on with daily activities. But as with many other things, some people misuse them. Many people have retired their land-line and only use their cell phone. That's fine. But who else might be listening?

Bob

Re: You forgot your cell phone... #190096 09/05/04 12:10 PM
Digger Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I agree that too many people are ADDICTED to cell phones and couldn't live without them. I have one that I only carry with me when I travel in case I need to be contacted. I got my fill of cellphones at work. It seems that people nowadays have to have them with them at ALL times and that creates a problem especially at the workplace. An emergency I can understand but just to call and ask "What ya doin?" and then proceed to talk for 10-15 minutes even though they know they are supposed to be working. One employee even carried a total of 3, yes 3 phones on him to work.

Re: You forgot your cell phone... #190097 09/05/04 12:21 PM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I own a cell phone. I hardly ever use it, but do take it with me when I go out for the "just in case". If I were to forget to do that, and was already in the driveway, I would not go back for it, unless I was going on a trip. If I was halfway out of town when the memory kicked in, the cell phone would stay in the house.

I HATE cell phones!!! This mostly because as a real estate broker, I was "strapped" to some version of a cell phone for 27 years.

I rode with another agent once from one side of Richmond to the other. She was using the phone, and writing notes the entire trip. Kinda steered the car with her knees. eek

If I get a call on my cell phone while driving, I refuse to answer it. This, because, the finality of doing this in the car came with being in a major accident three years ago...the driver who was at fault...was driving a commercial van,using his cell phone at the time of impact, and very possibly was eating a sandwich with the other hand.

I simply do not believe that a person talking on a cell phone while driving has his attention on the road and his driving. The people in public places talking on their cells surely don't. How many times have you heard more than you wanted to know from these folks while trying to shop in the grocery store, for example. They totally forget that anyone can hear them.

A "pet peeve" I have with cell phones, are the people who carry their rudeness to the limit by taking calls in the middle of a conversation with you, or in the same room when you are trying to hear the TV for example.

I know real estate agents who are proud of the fact that they never miss a call...they take it in the bathroom with them, and also totaly disrupt a family dinner to answer the darn thing.

The only plus I can give to having my phone with me is when I have to fill out forms and fill in phone numbers...Whew!...I've got them programmed in the phone's memory!

Judy

Judy
Re: You forgot your cell phone... #190098 09/05/04 12:50 PM
pierhead Offline
I always take mine with me. If I don't want to be reached, I can always turn it off. If I'm at a movie or church or on a golf course or someplace where it may be inappropriate to use - once again it can be turned off. I want it there tho for convenience. It's not the cell phones that are the problem, it's the people using them.

Re: You forgot your cell phone... #190099 09/06/04 01:58 PM
bonnebert Offline
I agree with you, I have the cell phone for convenience and emergencies. If I leave the house to run errands and realize that I don't have it with me, I keep on going and just do without it.

Joyc4

Re: You forgot your cell phone... #190100 09/08/04 10:29 PM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Well I have only owned my own cell phone for less than a year. My wife has had one for 4 years and we were on a plan that allowed only 30 minutes a month. That insured it would only be used for important things like if my wife's car broke down (my wife knew I would be upset to pay the higher rate for over 30 min.) mad We now have more minutes but still don't talk much. And yes I have called from the grocery store to see if we needed more milk etc. but we don't yak. I found that on trips it is very useful. laugh

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el

Moderated by  Bob M 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,025 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users