Next Thread
Print Thread
Lighthouse Digest #189873 11/09/05 09:09 PM
ericlighthouse Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Do you subscribe to Lighthouse Digest?

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: Lighthouse Digest #189874 11/09/05 09:39 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I voted yes...although I'm not completely yes, and not completely no. I AM a subscriber to the magazine, and I DO love to read it, but I havn't renewed my subscription, which ended in Jan. (got the magazine till April), for the pure reason of forgetting. Will get around to it at SOME point... :rolleyes:

Re: Lighthouse Digest #189875 11/09/05 10:52 PM
Tammy Wolfe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I am a subscriber, but I just started my subscription a year ago. I enjoy the stories and love to see photos on the cover from forum members.

Re: Lighthouse Digest #189876 11/09/05 11:15 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have been a subscriber since day one. It is a great magazine and everyone who loves lighthouses should subscribe.

Hats off and three cheers to Tim & Kathy for their great publication!!!!

Re: Lighthouse Digest #189877 11/10/05 12:13 AM
DMancini Offline
No, I am not a subscriber. Never have been.

Diane
Re: Lighthouse Digest #189878 11/10/05 12:25 AM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
This is a magazine that I look forward to, read cover to cover, and save. laugh

Judy

Judy
Re: Lighthouse Digest #189879 11/10/05 01:10 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I do not subscribe to that magazine. As a matter of fact I don't think I've ever seen a copy of it.

:rolleyes: Bob :rolleyes:

Re: Lighthouse Digest #189880 11/10/05 02:35 AM
beachcomber Offline
You are missing a great, historical magazine, Bob. There are many wonderful stories about lighthouses all over the world. I have to start weeding my copies out; I hate to part with them and National Geographic Traveler and Mental Floss, etc., etc., etc. It's difficult to part with beautiful and/or informative publications.

beachcomber
Re: Lighthouse Digest #189881 11/10/05 06:27 AM
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
It you want to subcribe go to: http://www.lighthousedepot.com/Digest.cfm

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: Lighthouse Digest #189882 11/10/05 10:57 AM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
While I have been subscribing to Lighthouse Digest for over 6 years now, the one thing that I find is Tim Harrison is in too many of the pictures to suit me. He seems to want to promote himself and his magazine to the point that when you look at all the pictures he is in, and the amount of times he promotes himself in the captions under the pictures, it is almost to the ridiculas. This, of course, is my opinion and if I've offended any personal friends of Tim, I appologize. The magazine is top notch with interesting articles but Tim needs to show and talk less of himself.

Rich
Re: Lighthouse Digest #189883 11/10/05 12:15 PM
R
ropetrick Offline
R
Rich,

My thoughts exactly.

Dan

Re: Lighthouse Digest #189884 11/10/05 12:53 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Rich - I feel kind of the same way. No offence to any parties involved at all. I think it's become a little more ALF-heavy recently. There's still a nice balance of other stuff, but I think that a little bit of the Boon Island, Little River, etc. stuff has to be trimmed back. No offence to ALF, since they do great work, and are a vital lighthouse organisation, but I think that some of the stuff that's going into the Digest belongs in the ALF newsletter.

I think this ties into Tim's "overpromotion" of himself. Again, no offence to Tim - he's an amazing proponent for lighthouses, and without him, we wouldn't even HAVE the Digest. But that doesn't mean he has to promote himself so much. I think that, since he's a major ALF figure, though, cutting back on the ALF would cut back on the Tim.

Again, no offence to any people involved in either person/organisation. Both are amazing and vital links in the lighthouse preservation chain. They're just not the only ones that should be in LHDigest.

Re: Lighthouse Digest #189885 11/10/05 01:10 PM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
A lot of what goes into the Digest is dependent on what is submitted.

The LH Digest is very good at involving/including news, photos and stories from all areas of lighthousing. They have been great at printing information from the Outer Banks Lighthouse Society, as just one example.

But, this is when we submit the information in the majority of cases. If you don't send it in, don't just hope it will get printed.

Judy

Judy
Re: Lighthouse Digest #189886 11/10/05 02:19 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I subscribe and love to read it from beginning to end when it comes in. Great information and stories.

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: Lighthouse Digest #189887 11/10/05 03:09 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
We subscribe to the Lighthouse Digest and are members of the United States Lighthouse Society and receive the 'Log' quarterly from them... Both are excellent sources of lighthouse history.. I read them both cover to cover and appreciate the hard work that goes in to producing them!

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Lighthouse Digest #189888 11/10/05 07:36 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Just got an email offer from the Digest a short time ago. Special offer was buy 2 years/get one free, renewals included. Went for it as I didn't think I'd renewed in a while. Hmmm, seems that I'm now subscribed through 08/10!

(If anyone else took advantage of this offer be sure to call the toll free number to be sure that you get credit for that extra year. I didn't until I called.)

There was discussion elsewhere some time ago regarding the Disgest and one item brought up was the number of times Tim's photo appeared in each issue. It's just the way it's going to be I guess. If it's your magazine you get to include yourself! In this last issue Tim did sort of blast folks who had had lighthouse events and didn't advise the Digest. Believe the NE area has the greatest coverage as they know what's happening. If you have a story or event about a lighthouse, please do submit it. Chances are it will be published.

This month I especially enjoyed the article about the Saugerties Lighthouse. Neat to read about one that I've explored, especially now that I've seen some of the folks who actually lived there when it was in service.

Also, I agree with Paul on the "Keeper's Log", the quarterly publication of the USLHS. It has great in depth stories, lots of stuff not found elsewhere.

Re: Lighthouse Digest #189889 11/10/05 10:22 PM
beachcomber Offline
I'm glad you mentioned those lighthouse events. Hopefully, a lot of you who are involved in helping at the lights will get the news to Lighthouse Digest. It's a good way to get funding, too. We are not all aware of the restoration that is being done - and the help that is needed.

beachcomber
Re: Lighthouse Digest #189890 11/10/05 10:50 PM
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Well, I have never met Tim Harrison, however, he wrote an editorial about getting the magazine to young people. I wrote back that the Florida Lighthouse Association was running a booth at the Central Florida Fair and if he had some left over copies we could hand them out and of course there are many young people at the fair. Well, he responded right away and shipped out a couple boxes the same day (even though I did not need them for a month or so). He put aside some of the next issue which arrived in the middle of the fair (10 day event) and we handed out almost all of them (the rest went to our volunteer who does a talk at the local schools, who gave them to the kids). Lighthouse Digest even paid the shipping.
Needless to say I was happy. smile

Re: Lighthouse Digest #189891 11/11/05 02:23 AM
beachcomber Offline
Although I agree with some of the earlier posts regarding "too much Tim", his publication is a great educational tool for bringing more people into lighthouse preservation. It's great that he and people like Dick Moehl are doing so much to instill interest in younger people.

beachcomber
Re: Lighthouse Digest #189892 11/11/05 03:47 PM
R
rgurskey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
R
I cancelled my subscription years ago because of too much Tim, too many errors, and poorly written articles.

Re: Lighthouse Digest #189893 11/11/05 06:27 PM
PFC Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
frown I really tried to stay out of this one! But I am tired of the personal attacks against Tim, ALF and Lighthouse Digest!

First of all, if you do not subscribe to Lighthouse Digest, you don't know what you are missing! With many excellent articles each month about lighthouses and their keepers from around the world and pictures of the lights, both existing and those that have been destroyed, Lighthouse Digest is a fantastic source of information for all lighthouse enthusiasts! It also contains local and national news from the lighthouse community and an events calendar to let all readers know about lighthouse related happenings going on around the country.

Quote:
A lot of what goes into the Digest is dependent on what is submitted.

The LH Digest is very good at involving/including news, photos and stories from all areas of lighthousing. They have been great at printing information from the Outer Banks Lighthouse Society, as just one example.

But, this is when we submit the information in the majority of cases. If you don't send it in, don't just hope it will get printed.
Thanks, Judy!

I am sorry, but if you think ALF is mentioned too often in Lighthouse Digest, it is because the American Lighthouse Foundation is one of the two top National Lighthouse Preservation groups in the United States, the other being the U.S. Lighthouse Society.

And if it bothers you that Tim Harrison's picture appears often in the magazine, then apparently you don't realize that he is one of the leaders in the lighthouse preservation movement in this country and has been for over a decade. He is not however the only lighthouse preservationist whose picture appears in LHD. Tim just happens to be there when a lot of different lighthouse functions take place. He is one of the most dedicated people I have ever known.

Just my thoughts,
My best, smile
Paul Conlin

Help Save Our Lighthouses!

Become a part of the
American Lighthouse Foundation
P.O. Box 565
Rockland, Maine 04841

207 594-4174

www.lighthousefoundation.org
Re: Lighthouse Digest #189894 11/11/05 07:00 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
I couldn't agree more, Paul..

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Lighthouse Digest #189895 11/11/05 07:24 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Mr Harrison is a highly respected member of the lighthouse community and is deeply involved in every aspect of lighthouse preservation and the American Lighthouse Foundation. A reasonable and prudent person would recognize the fact that Mr. Harrison would naturally enjoy somewhat of a celebrity status within the lighthouse community and would attend many lighthouse events, therefore, would be seen in many of the photos.

Would you expect the New England Patriots to not have pictures of QB Tom Brady in media coverage? Would you expect the Indiannapolis Colts to not have pics of Peyton Manning in their media coverage? When you think NE Patriots, you think Tom Brady even though the team has many great players. When you think of the Colts, you think of Peyton Manning even though the team has make great players. If you think of lighthouse restoration, ALF, and the Lighthouse Digest, you think of Tim Harrison even though there are many hard workers behind the scenes.

Let's not turn this thread into a Tim Harrison bashing. The guy has done nothing wrong and he has done a lot of good when it comes to lighthouse awareness and restoration. Mr. Harrison should be praised for his efforts. If you don't like the magazine, don't buy it, but don't discredit such a hard worker as Tim.

:rolleyes: Bob :rolleyes:

Re: Lighthouse Digest #189896 11/11/05 08:20 PM
Danny Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Until I read though this thread, I was totally neutral on Tim Harrison. I'm happy to say that I still am. I had noticed that he appeared frequently in the pages, but I rationalized that he was the driving force behind the effort. I guess the only question I might add is: Who picks up the mantel when he goes to that Great Lighthouse in the Sky? Are there viable candidates waiting in the wings?

Danny

Re: Lighthouse Digest #189897 11/11/05 08:48 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Hopefully, we won't have to deal with that for a very, very, very, very, very long time. eek But I am getting the feeling that Bob Trapani is being built up to become Tim's sucessor. He's already become almost an equal in the foundation, and he'll have had a very, very long time with both ALF and DRBLKA.

Of course, this is all speculation, and hopefully, we won't have to deal with this for a very long time.

Re: Lighthouse Digest #189898 11/11/05 09:39 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have known Tim for quite a few years and I have nothing but good to say about him. Without him and Kathy and Lighthouse Digest and their staff and ALF, I shudder to think where the lighthouse community would be right now. Who cares how many times his picture appears in the Digest. It is only there because he is there doing what he can for the cause of lighthouse preservation. How many events have you supported and traveled to, not so much to enjoy what was going on but to pitch in and help out and be a part of the event instead of just a spectator? How many events and fund-raisers have you organized?

All that I can add is that all of you who voted no in this poll need to subscribe to the Lighthouse Digest and see for yourselves what it is all about.

Re: Lighthouse Digest #189899 11/11/05 10:32 PM
DMancini Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by DMancini:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lighthouser:
[qb] A lot of what goes into the Digest is dependent on what is submitted.

Judy
Not everything that is submitted is published. There is selective editing.

I work in publishing (and have for over 10 years), so I know how the business is run and about editorial standards. I am very particular about the publications I read. I choose not to read LD.

Quote:
Originally posted by TheLightkeeper:
All that I can add is that all of you who voted no in this poll need to subscribe to the Lighthouse Digest and see for yourselves what it is all about.
I have seen issues of LD. See my above comments.

Diane
Re: Lighthouse Digest #189900 11/11/05 10:51 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
"This, of course, is my opinion and if I've offended any personal friends of Tim, I appologize. The magazine is top notch with interesting articles but Tim needs to show and talk less of himself".

I am not bashing Tim or his publication as stated above from my previous post. I feel that Tim does an excellent job and the magazine is excellent at reporting lighthouse news. My opinion still stands though.

Rich
Re: Lighthouse Digest #189901 11/11/05 11:13 PM
PFC Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
Not everything that is submitted is published.
:rolleyes: Obviously this is true in any publication!

Also, if everything that was submitted was included in each issue, the magazine would be 100 pages.

My best, smile
Paul Conlin

Become a part of the
P.O. Box 565
Rockland, Maine 04841

207 594-4174

Re: Lighthouse Digest #189902 11/11/05 11:44 PM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
How many events have you supported and traveled to, not so much to enjoy what was going on but to pitch in and help out and be a part of the event instead of just a spectator? How many events and fund-raisers have you organized?
A whole lot of them! And so do a lot of other people.

Quote:
Not everything that is submitted is published. There is selective editing.
That's right. The magazine would be quite thick, if everything submitted got published, now wouldn't it?
I submit a lot of things that don't get published. And then some do. As in many aspects of life, it's a numbers game...the more you submit, the more that will get published.

As to some of the other comments here, I hope we are not getting into a rating contest regarding lighthouse groups. Outer Banks Lighthouse Society isn't as they say, "chopped liver", you know, and we also put out an award winning newsletter full of history and current events.
We also support ALF in our publication.

I wish we could look at the different groups as all part of one community. There are many times when it's important to show our strength in numbers. ALF doesn't and can't cover all the lighthouses. Neither does USLHS. And certainly, neither does OBLHS, and there are so many other hard working groups. But you know what? There are a LOT of lighthouses that need help.

For those who have never read the LH Digest, you're missing out on a lot. The happenings in the world of lighthousing aren't covered completely within the forums here. Read all the publications you can find.

Judy

Judy
Re: Lighthouse Digest #189903 11/11/05 11:56 PM
DMancini Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by PFC:
Quote:
Not everything that is submitted is published.
:rolleyes: [b]Obviously this is true in any publication!
[/b]
:rolleyes: Yes, I am acutely aware of that.

Diane
Re: Lighthouse Digest #189904 11/12/05 01:43 AM
PFC Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
I wish we could look at the different groups as all part of one community. There are many times when it's important to show our strength in numbers. ALF doesn't and can't cover all the lighthouses. Neither does USLHS. And certainly, neither does OBLHS, and there are so many other hard working groups. But you know what? There are a LOT of lighthouses that need help.
smile Judy, you took the words right out of my mouth! We all need to work together to preserve our historic beacons for future generations! I support the efforts of everyone involved in the restoration and preservation of these national treasures!

My best,
Paul

Become a part of the
P.O. Box 565
Rockland, Maine 04841

207 594-4174

Re: Lighthouse Digest #189905 11/12/05 05:21 AM
beachcomber Offline
Obviously, the poll reflects that most of us subscribe; we probably do so because we feel it is a worthwhile publication. On the other hand, that does not mean that those who do not subscribe feel that it is not a worthy publication.

beachcomber
Re: Lighthouse Digest #189906 11/12/05 11:51 AM
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Well, as some people indicated, they were not aware of the publication, so perhaps they will try a subscription out. smile

Re: Lighthouse Digest #189907 11/12/05 09:26 PM
Danny Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I have to confess a degree of astonishment. Of all things to provoke even moderate controversy, I guess I didn't dream that 'Lighthouse Digest' was on the short or long list. eek Inasmuch as there doesn't seem to be a surfeit of lighthouse periodicals, I was unsuspectingly content with this one, warts and all. Could it be improved? Doubtless. But isn't that true of almost anything. There again, I have to wonder if any of these sentiments are getting back to Tim Harrison, by way of feedback, because I feel certain that he would want to improve the Digest if he had a better inkling of prevailing opinions [if there ARE any prevailing opinions]. I, personally, am not responsive to the pages devoted to children, but I recognize that I am not keen on children! I, personally, don't care for the cutesy Christmas covers, but I accept that I am a confirmed fuddy-duddy who has lost the wonderment of Christmas. I can easily accept that the magazine has to appeal to a very broad range and level of interests. Yes...I usually read scholarly stuff, clotted with footnotes and all [because I need to...am compulsive...and riddled with guilt if I don't], but I'll bet that such an approach would quickly snuff out the light of the Digest. For me, at least, it's kind of nice to have something that isn't turned into a research project. I can do that oh-so-easily myself! And usually do. If we can see the extreme value in what Tim Harrison is trying to do, and if we can TACTFULLY nudge his efforts in this or that direction if we feel the need, that would be great. First and foremost, however, I think that profound appreciation is in order. I would hate to do anything to erode or kill the enthusiasm that Tim is trying to bring to the field, and I honestly don't believe that anything he is doing is fueled by ego.

Danny

Moderated by  Bob M 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rock), 832 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users