cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Should the US go to war with Iraq? #189846 02/16/03 10:18 PM
Ocracoke Dreaming Offline OP
OP Offline
There has been a lot of protest this week all over the world as to whether the US should go to war or not with Iraq. Now it's time for you to sound off.

David
Re: Should the US go to war with Iraq? #189847 02/17/03 10:06 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I would say this is somewhat of a sensitive issue. I think some folks in this country have already forgotten about 9/11/01. Some folks forgot how many innocent people were murdered at the hands of terrorists. That group of terrorists was supported, directly or indirectly, by the regime in Iraq. Are we to sit back while they develope their weapons of mass destruction so they can wipe out an entire city next time?

Our country's leaders know a lot more than us. No one, including me, wants to see one American life lost because of a war. I'm in favor of bombing the hell out of them if they don't comply with the Allied demands of disarming. Iraq is like a small insect that can bite you but is easily eliminated with a slap from your hand.

North Korea could be next if they don't wise up. Don't you just love the news stories about that country has a missle (noted: untested) that could reach our west coast. Can you imagine if they ever fired it at us? North Korea could easily be turned into a barren wasteland by just one of our submarines patrolling the Pacific.

I do not want to see one innocent person die through no fault of his or her own. Iraq wants to use innocent people as human shields to protect certain areas of their domain. We have traitors leaving this country to join the Iraq people as human shields. Do they think their little pink and white bodies will stop the bombing?

Someone has to step up to the plate. That country is America, the greatest country in the world. It is the land of the free and the home of the brave. Unfortunately, many people in this country have forgotten freedom isn't free. It comes at a cost. Sometimes those costs can be high. Remember 9/11/01. Remember those who gave their lives for what we have.

America, ....love it or leave it.

Bob M.

Re: Should the US go to war with Iraq? #189848 02/17/03 12:56 PM
Bill Harnsberger Offline
I personally don't feel my freedom threatened by Iraq. Instead, I feel much more threatened by Bush's wacky "Total Information Awareness" program, which will open up your life and mine to unfettered government surveillance of every kind imaginable (ShowerCam, anyone?).

Bin Laden has made it very clear that he abhors the "secular" Hussein. They are not going to be sharing bunkers anytime soon. As long as there's international pressure on Iraq---plus an army of inspectors---Saddam won't be a threat. Better we should go after Saudi Arabia, the psychological training ground for terrorism. Or Iran. Or any one of the dozens of despotic regimes around the globe. Where does it stop? Where do we draw the line? Should we have the world's dictators take an "Evil Aptitude Test" so we can prioritize our invasions?

I think we would be wiser to dramatically shore up security at our ports and borders. Then beef up police and firefighter strength...they're the ones who are really on the front lines if anything happens here.

I keep thinking of Teddy Roosevelt's adage: "Speak softly and carry a big stick." We would do well to heed his words. There are too many people in the middle east who feel like they have nothing to lose. Our invading Iraq without U.N. approval will only fan the flames of their desperate hatred further. Is that what we really want?

As for Korea, the fear isn't that they'll launch a nuclear missle at us, but that they'll sell the technology to a terrorist cell that will. Which again points toward beefing up our anti-terrorist agencies and police/fire infrastructure, not invading Iraq.

I just read a report that 100,000 bodybags and 6,000 coffins have just been delivered to a U.S. base in Italy. I feel great anger toward the despots and terrorists who have made the world a more dangerous place, and great disappointment at U.S. governments past and present who have, overtly or covertly, funded their madness.

But what do I know? Here's someone who is far more eloquent than I...

War...or No?

Re: Should the US go to war with Iraq? #189849 02/20/03 11:23 AM
Brent Offline
Sadam had his chance, and he blew it. Anybody who thinks that this guy isn't a "major player" in international terriorism is fooling themselves to no end. The Bush plan may be controversial but I don't see any other way to deal with it. The "free" nations of the world need to realize that in order to maintain "freedom" they can't just sit back and take it for granded that it'll always be there. I'm not surprised at France's position but I am totally "dumbfounded" with Germany's attitude. The one similarity between the "Cold War" and "now" is that America is again called upon to lead the world in maintaining some semblence of freedom. If we don't do it....who will? The United Nations? NATO? 'Not hardly!

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member
Re: Should the US go to war with Iraq? #189850 02/20/03 06:38 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Blow them to Kingdom come but don't send our troops(children) in on the ground. I hope they choose their risks carefully. Our allies in the area are shakey at best or playing both sides for their own good.
Not real happy to see my kids - close family being put in jeopardy. Just spent a weekend with my nephew, a June graduate from West Point, going to Airbourne school this week, explain to his uncles that this was the profession he chose. Half of my daughter's reserve group was just deployed in Kuwait.

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Should the US go to war with Iraq? #189851 02/20/03 11:31 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Perhaps if 9/11 had occurred in France or Germany those countries would have different views? What if the Eiffel Tower had been toppled? If Big Ben had been stuck (no pun intended) would Tony Blair have the support of his country behind him?

Re: Should the US go to war with Iraq? #189852 02/21/03 09:56 PM
P
plebetkin Offline
P
If there is compelling proof that Iraq is harboring materials like the Bush administration insists, then the reason for war may be justified. However, everything is circumstantial. That seems to be the hanging point for France and Germany. Of course, those countries may also worry about oil supply disruption. I agree that we should drastically limit the ground troops to alleviate loss of life as much as possible.

good friends mean good times
Re: Should the US go to war with Iraq? #189853 02/21/03 10:24 PM
Ocracoke Dreaming Offline OP
OP Offline
We have the data that we need. We're just trying to get as much NATO forces on our side as possible. It's a good thing I'm not President Bush because I would have been at war already. I'm sick and tired of this #%@*&@!!!!!!

David

Moderated by  Bob M 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,356 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users