cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Discussion on the number of topics at the Collector Forums #189788 12/20/06 08:14 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
There is considerable discussion being initiated as to the number of topics listed at the Collector Forums. I would like to know what your feelings are. Take a moment to complete this simple poll to voice your opinion.

Re: Discussion on the number of topics at the Collector Forums #189789 12/20/06 09:07 AM
Lighthouse Duo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
The last question was hard to answer! I read new posts all the time, some of the older ones when I get time and I don't have a particular preference. So how do I answer that one?
wink

Margret
Lighthouse Duo
Live Love Laugh ...
Re: Discussion on the number of topics at the Collector Forums #189790 12/20/06 09:18 AM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I don't think we have too many forums. This reminds me of management at my work, they have gotten to look at numbers all the time, if one category is down they seem to be worried even though the others are up.

I think what we really need is a tour for new members. Show them were today's topic is, show them how to edit a post, show them were to search, etc.. Some of this seems simple, but when you first come to the site, it isn't so Lclear. The tour could also show how to post pictures, for me and others that was difficult until we got the hang of it.

When I first visited the site, the number of forums is what brought me back. I only owned one LE Harbour Light at the time and that was a gift (I own more now and know a lot more about them).

So in my opinion leave the number as is and lets get the tour. smile

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: Discussion on the number of topics at the Collector Forums #189791 12/20/06 10:05 AM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
Originally posted by Lighthouse Duo:
The last question was hard to answer! I read new posts all the time, some of the older ones when I get time and I don't have a particular preference. So how do I answer that one?
wink
Margret,

I think option 4 covered thatwell- nothing specific just what loks interesting.

Dennis

Re: Discussion on the number of topics at the Collector Forums #189792 12/20/06 10:09 AM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I think the old saying holds here- if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Yes, there are some "problems" with the forums and the level of participation but I seriously doubt it has anything to do with the actual number of forums there are.

Eric could be right and a tour might help newcomers but I don't think the basic setup is that confusing- except in some cases as to which forum is where you would find certain topics but even there it's fairly easy to figure out for the most part. Of course I've been doing it for so long i may not be able to visualize the initial confusion factor.

Dennis

Re: Discussion on the number of topics at the Collector Forums #189793 12/20/06 10:12 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
I click on 'Today's active Topics' every visit so I don't even conciously use the topics unless I'm looking for something or have to make a New Topic decision.
I do have a hard time finding old topics or post in Topics when I don't use 'Search All'.
I think a 'Start Here if Your New' button would help newbies and lurkers.
Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Discussion on the number of topics at the Collector Forums #189794 12/20/06 11:13 AM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
This board is great the way it is. I hope it stays unchanged. smile

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Discussion on the number of topics at the Collector Forums #189795 12/20/06 12:09 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
I like the Forums the way they are. In fact I feel a new one should be added to sell collectibles other than Harbout Lights.

Rich
Re: Discussion on the number of topics at the Collector Forums #189796 12/20/06 12:52 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Quote:
I feel a new one should be added to sell collectibles other than Harbour Lights.
Rich, you think the exact same way I do. My appeals for such a change have been met with much resistance, and not by the majority. We must be willing to adapt to what our viewing public wants and not close the door on innovative ideas.

I'm pleased to see that the initial voting on this poll indicates that maybe people do like the expanded forums and are not looking to reduce it to the point that people could stop by once a month and see that nothing new has been added.

Keep those votes coming! Let us see exactly how the majority responds to what is very important to the future of the CF.

smile Bob smile

Re: Discussion on the number of topics at the Collector Forums #189797 12/20/06 03:20 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I think things are fine the way they are right now. There's always an appropriate place for whatever I want to post, and I never get confused.

The thing that might be helpful would be some kind of "Guide" for newbies, as many have suggested. All the other forums I belong to have the capability for "sticky topics," which stays at the top of the list in the forum and is used for important announcements, info, etc. If there was some kind of thread that welcomed people (probably in the Welcome Mat), then maybe that could help them out.

Not sure if we have that capability with our software, though.

Re: Discussion on the number of topics at the Collector Forums #189798 12/20/06 08:36 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
Originally posted by flacoastie:
I like the Forums the way they are. In fact I feel a new one should be added to sell collectibles other than Harbout Lights.
Rich,

While I don't disagree with you I doubt it will ever happen. While we are not an official part of HL here were considered official enough that I can't ever see your request happening.

Dennis

Re: Discussion on the number of topics at the Collector Forums #189799 12/20/06 09:35 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Quote:
While I don't disagree with you I doubt it will ever happen. While we are not an official part of HL here were considered official enough that I can't ever see your request happening.

Dennis
Don't be so sure, Dennis. If the majority want it should a few contrary minded people stop it from happening? I would like to think that every member of the CF has an equal vote in what happens here. It's the Democratic way. I've never seen any warnings posted that this site is a totalitarian site that does not tolerate parties of differing opinions.

:rolleyes: Bob :rolleyes:

Re: Discussion on the number of topics at the Collector Forums #189800 12/20/06 09:54 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
It is what it is. It is what it has become with input from a lot of you out there over the past 9 years.

It's not a democracy. It is operated by yours truly, the owner and founder, with input and much assistance from saints, cruise directors and members.

The forums were re-aligned with lots of input and suggestions only within the past 12 months. We're not going to 'fine tune it' every few months.

Looking back to the time when we were linked from HarbourLights.com we were growing because Harbour Lights was growing. We shrank because Harbour Lights shrank.

Harbour Lights is an independently owned and operated company. They need to do what they need to do to make it work financially. Because if it doesn't work financially, it will go away and we can turn our discussion to collecting telephone pole insulators , collecting toasters , tea cozies or whatever.

I want Harbour Lights to succeed. Had Don Devine not said "yes" to the opportunity to take the company on a year ago, where would the CF be today?

There's no doubt that Harbour Lights gets input from these CF today as in the past. IMHO We're not here as a cheering section -- but we're free to cheer and rant and, in the process, to provide critical feedback.

Every organization grows, shrinks, evolves. Let's stop beating ourselves up and wondering where everyone went and enjoy the friendships new and old that remain.

The internet has changed (See Time's "Person of the Year"). Interactivity is up, personal contributions to content is up, sites with just facts is down.

If there's 100 active participants the way the CF is today, so be it.

If you want it to grow, send out invitations to some of your non-collector friends or to the members of the lighthouse organizations to which you belong and encourage them to check us out.

Re: Discussion on the number of topics at the Collector Forums #189801 12/21/06 02:23 AM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob M:
Quote:

Dennis
Don't be so sure, Dennis. If the majority want it should a few contrary minded people stop it from happening? I would like to think that every member of the CF has an equal vote in what happens here. It's the Democratic way. I've never seen any warnings posted that this site is a totalitarian site that does not tolerate parties of differing opinions.

:rolleyes: Bob :rolleyes:
Bob,

I can't believe we are talking about the same place. The HLCF is not a democratic organization and not all peopel involved have an equal say in how things are done- this has been established numerous times in the past.

Differing opinions are tolerated but there are certain parameters that are set by the owner of the entity.

You could be right that if the majority want something it might happen- but it might not happen here.

We have been told in the past- and in a post in this thread- that while we can voice our opinions and assist the final say belongs to one person only.

You can say it nicely you can say it not so nicely- it's not a democracy here it's a benevolent dictatorship. smile

It's not a bad thing, it's not a good thing it just is what it is. Love it or leave it as they used to say.

Dennis

Re: Discussion on the number of topics at the Collector Forums #189802 12/21/06 09:06 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I guess JC summed it up pretty well. In simple terms, the sand box belongs to him and we are welcome to play in it but not allowed to remove any sand from the box. We are not allowed to bring any different color sands into the box to change the overall color of the sand that is already there.

Harry Chapin sang, "Flowers are red, young man, and green leaves are green; There's no reason to see it any other way than the way it always has been seen."

Love it or leave it? I think "Like it or leave it" would be more appropriate. I would say this is my favorite site and I plan on being around here for a long time unless you guys do one of those "The tribe has spoken" things. You can expect more provocative posts from me in the future. It brings people out of the walls and we need that, otherwise Harry Chapin will be singing, "Flowers are red..."

smile Bob smile

Re: Discussion on the number of topics at the Collector Forums #189803 12/21/06 10:48 PM
Cyndi Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I have several differant collections of collectibles. The main items that I collect are HL. I originally joined this forum because of the information I have recieved concerning Harbour Lights. But I have gained so much more since I joined. The friends that I have now from all over the country and overseas are the biggest joy for me. We all love lighthouses, our families, and care about each other and share, not only just information about Harbour Lights with each other, but also what is going on in our lives.

Cyndi

Moderated by  Bob M 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,208 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users