cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Future of Harbour Lights; Your guess is as good as mine. #189754 02/28/05 12:14 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
A simple poll to gather a general consensus of what is going through collectors minds.

Re: Future of Harbour Lights; Your guess is as good as mine. #189755 02/28/05 08:24 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
From the results of the poll with 18 members voting, I would say that it appears like Harbour Lights could give up the LE line and Harbour Lights could still do business. This goes along with the gut feeling I have that the LE line may not be around in a year or two and the LLOM/GLOWS will be taking over.

Rich
Re: Future of Harbour Lights; Your guess is as good as mine. #189756 02/28/05 09:10 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Being in the business of asking questions (for my living), I've got to say, Bob -- and no offence meant -- that wasn't a very good poll.

Kind of reminds me of the "Have you stopped beating your wife yet?" questions.

Your answer choices don't cover the possible range of answers. Without covering those, the results are skewed towards the possible choices you provided.

Re: Future of Harbour Lights; Your guess is as good as mine. #189757 02/28/05 11:10 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Quote:
I've got to say, Bob -- and no offence meant -- that wasn't a very good poll.
I did throw it together rather quickly when I had a spare moment, but I thought it would give people some reasonable choices to express their feelings.

Perhaps a contrary minded poll would be in order from someone other than I.

cool Bob cool

P.S. - I just read through the poll again and I don't see anything wrong with it. There were adequate choices for yes, no, or not sure. You could be happy or you could be disappointed. You could continue to purchase HL products or you could bail out.

Quote:
Your answer choices don't cover the possible range of answers. Without covering those, the results are skewed towards the possible choices you provided.
They may not cover your impression of range of answers, but since this was suppose to be a simple poll, the results coming back seem to be expressing the feelings of the participants.

Re: Future of Harbour Lights; Your guess is as good as mine. #189758 03/01/05 12:54 AM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Future of Harbour Lights

It seems we have a delemma. Bob M posted the poll first and beat me to it. I was going to post one, but no sense in doing it now. However, my choices would have been very similar to Bob's.

John, in the interest of fairness, why not post another poll on the same subject with your choices. We could all vote again, and it might be fun to see the difference in responses, if any. I'd like to see your choices.

Just a suggestion.

bobo

Re: Future of Harbour Lights; Your guess is as good as mine. #189759 03/02/05 03:24 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
If Harbour Lights stopped producing L.E.'s the secondary market would go crazy.
The money that collectors were spending on L.E.'s would go toward the secondary market.
Glows would probally even increase in value.
Collectors may say they will stop collecting if there are no new L.E.'s but they won't. Collecting Lighthouses is in their blood

DANIEL
Re: Future of Harbour Lights; Your guess is as good as mine. #189760 03/02/05 05:01 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
Quote:
Originally posted by DANIEL:
Collectors may say they will stop collecting if there are no new L.E.'s but they won't. Collecting Lighthouses is in their blood
I don't think so! Lighthouses and visiting lighthouses might be in my blood but collecting open edition giftware certainly is not! This poll good or bad is saying quite a bit. If your shifting to purchasing retired limited editions your not buying the future open editions. Most of what I am reading in the pole is that many will stop collecting and most will certainly reduce what they're purchasing. Not much of a future incentive for a retailer to contemplate when a large core of the serious collectors are sending this kind of message is it?

imho

Re: Future of Harbour Lights; Your guess is as good as mine. #189761 03/02/05 07:23 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
This, to me, is the most interesting of the current results:

Do you feel the times are changing at Harbour Lights?
Choose 1

Yes. 93% (42)
No. 0% (0)
Not sure at this time. 7% (3)

Saying something?

Re: Future of Harbour Lights; Your guess is as good as mine. #189762 03/02/05 07:40 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Good point, Greg. Everybody seems to think the times are changing for Harbour Lights, but none of us actually know if the change is for the good or bad. Personally, I hope it's for the good.

The collectible market has been down for a couple of years driving many a small dealer out of business. This has to have an impact of Harbour Lights' business. Hopefully, the unknown will soon be known that Harbour Lights has shifted gears and we will adapt and overcome our biggest worry about our beloved limited editions.

Our biggest problem is we have been spoiled. We are so use to HL's old tried and true business practices, that any deviation seems unacceptible. HL is up to something. We must be patient and wait and see.

cool Bob cool

Re: Future of Harbour Lights; Your guess is as good as mine. #189763 03/02/05 10:09 PM
JJ Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
The collectible market has been down for a couple of years driving many a small dealer out of business.
Not to mention quite a few large dealers as well!

Re: Future of Harbour Lights; Your guess is as good as mine. #189764 03/03/05 12:54 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
You're right, JJ. I don't think it was because of HL's though. I feel it's the industry in general.

I wonder how the existing dealers feel? Do they look at it as less competition? Will there be less interest because there are less dealers to visit forcing some collectors to travel long distances in search of HL's?

confused Bob confused

Re: Future of Harbour Lights; Your guess is as good as mine. #189765 03/08/05 05:38 PM
C
ctlights Offline
C
I often wonder why HL never sold their sculptures direct - i.e. catalog and website sales directly to the customer. This may be the way to go with LE's in the future. This would enable them eliminate the middle man and make money with smaller edition sizes. As far as LLOM's, they are a fantastic product for the money and maybe could sell nationwide with dealers. I would think they move well in lighthouse gift shops although at that price range they are probably only making a few dollars per piece.

Moderated by  Bob M 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,220 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users