Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
New Ltd Edition - True Success or No #189666 06/03/06 08:46 PM
Bigbird Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
I know everyone is excited with our first exclusive, but scanning the post "What Number Did You Get", I have yet to see 100 of the pieces posted. I also know that probably some people were buying who were not forum members since we obviously haven't sold all the pieces (although we haven't actually seen posted - at least I haven't- how many did sell). I notice most people seemed to get 1 or 2, but several got three and at least a couple got 4 and 5. So long story short, do you guys feel (honest, not what you want to believe, but honestly) think that this was a success, and warrants doing again, and perhaps again, or is it a great thing for those who participated, but a disappointment overall?

Steve

Health through education, for a much misguided nation!!
Re: New Ltd Edition - True Success or No #189667 06/03/06 10:35 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Steve - The first thing I want to say is THANK YOU to all the collectors that purchased the ELL and made it a resounding success. Now, speaking from being a member of the committee I feel this was also a huge success from the standpoint of having a "Special Piece" made especially for Forum members. I myself bought 3 pieces(1 for my son and 2 for me) and am extremely happy to have done so. Is it ever going to happen again? Only time will tell and it will probably be determined by future interest. Was it a disappointing undertaking? I was a little disappointed about the enthusiasm of some of the members. When you figure we have in excess of 1700 members, it should have been a lark to sell 500 pieces. If a church has 1700 members you can usually count on only 300-400 members doing their part to make the church a success. The Forum members were less then this 300-400 people. However, thanks to the dedicated members and non-members, this project is going to be a resounding success. The thing that makes a project successful is the active members participating by buying into the project. This can be done by buying the product or by helping to recruit others to buy the product. It really doesn't matter whether you buy 1, 2, 3, or more or if you buy none but help promote others to buy into the project.

This particular piece is now a one of a kind for a special group of people. If we never have another exclusive made we will always have this very special, low edition size, highly detailed exclusive. It took a lot of planning and a lot of going into uncharted territory for the majority of the planning committee. It was an extreme gamble to committ to buying 500 pieces and not knowing whether we would be able to sell all 500 pieces. It was a lot of work on Dave's part to coordinate the particulars and our reputation with Harbour Lights was also on the line if we could not make enough money to pay our expenses. Would I do it again? You bet I would if I were asked. Will we do it again? Only time will tell. Was it worth it? You can bet it was.

Rich
Re: New Ltd Edition - True Success or No #189668 06/04/06 10:44 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Those of you who now possess the ELL know that the efforts of the committee were not in vain. This project could not have succeeded without the cooperation of all involved and especially the folks from Harbour Lights who accepted our proposal and made the ELL a reality.

Everything about the ELL reflects what can be accomplished when people have an idea they would like to see become a reality and are willing to make the effort to see it through. The workmanship and detail on this piece is some of the best yet to come from Harbour Lights. Special thanks to Harry Hines for taking the time to make sure this CF Exclusive would be something we can all be proud of and add to our collections.

Yes, I truly believe this project was very worthwhile and a tremendous success. The proof is in the pudding, so to speak.

Were there any disappointments? The only one I can think of is this edition of 500 should have been sold out a long time ago. I actually think that some of the members of the CF felt the ELL would never become a reality. Perhaps now that the ELL has arrived, these procrastinators will step up to the plate and support the project by purchasing the last few remaining pieces.

Will there ever be another "CF Exclusive"? Well my friends, I for one would love to see it done again. I cannot make that decision alone. I know our committee members would probably jump right on another project, but the final decision would lie with our friends from Harbour Lights and the willingness of Dave and John to shoulder the major work load.

In conclusion I would like to thank the new owners of Harbour Lights for supporting this project and handling the shipping of these pieces which took a major burden off of Dave. We all know Dave is a tireless worker and we don't want to burn him out.

Let the dust settle with the sale of the few remaining pieces and just maybe the committee will get the itch to do it again sometime later in the near future.

smile Bob smile

Re: New Ltd Edition - True Success or No #189669 06/04/06 12:21 PM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
1. Would like another one.
2. Should sell out first before starting new one.

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: New Ltd Edition - True Success or No #189670 06/04/06 12:52 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Please note that these are MY PERSONAL comments and do not reflect the task force that worked so well in putting this project together.

Considering the number of ACTIVE CF members is probably under 100 - and the 1,700 number includes hundreds who haven't posted in years if ever, selling a edition of 500 is pretty good work.

It's not sold out yet, but I believe it will be before the end of the summer. It's well in the black.

We chose the edition of 500 because that was the minimum HL would make.

These are just speculative ideas:

1. Perhaps Harbour Lights would be willing to make an edition fo 250 next time - no doubt at a slight premium.

2. Perhaps we could work with the operators of a specific lighthouse in partnership to acheieve something they couldn't on their own -- to have Harbour Lights make a replica of their lighthouse. A community based group would have an additional base of supporters from which sales could be generated.

I'm not disappointed that the 500 pieces aren't all sold yet. I think the support of the CF members has been great. The task force members worked hard, held lots of discussions about the piece and how to market it and how to give early orders a chance at the lowest numbers. All on a volunteer basis.

As can be seen in other threads, the reactions to the quality and execution of the Erie Land Light has been fantastic. Thanks to Harry who worked hard for our vision of something that was outstanding.

If you don't own one. You can choose to make a nice addition to your collection now.

Or if you want to purchase one for a friend to get them interested in collecting, this is a great state-of-the art Harbour Lights piece, small edition size and the price is right.

www.lighthouse-events.com/forums/

If you don't like the piece, or you don't like the idea of a group of collectors getting organized to have a special Harbour Lights created, you're welcome to your opinions. And you're welcome to explain them here or not. I can't see any down-side to this, but there may be some.

Of course this project started while the Youngers were the owners of Harbour Lights. I think it's another example of how the Younger family was responsive to collectors - and was especially responsive to the Collector Forums as a sounding board. I can tell you than Don Devine has been supportive of the project since taking over the company.

Re: New Ltd Edition - True Success or No #189671 06/04/06 04:12 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Well Folks,

I firmly agree with John, Bob, and Rick in stating that the adventure was a rousing success. John’s comment:

Quote:
I can't see any down-side to this, but there may be some.
is perfect. Yes, there were intense discussions and conflicting views, but everything work out. Every obstacle that popped up along the way was overcome through the diligence of the people working on this first-of-it’s-kind project. And nobody got beat up – as far as I know.

Should we contemplate another? YES

bobo

Re: New Ltd Edition - True Success or No #189672 06/04/06 04:47 PM
beachcomber Offline
Absolutely, we should think about another one if the committe is willing to take on another such project and Don is up for it (I hope, I hope). I like your idea, John, of 250 for a higher price, but the thought about working with a specific lighthouse group is a very exciting prospect, one that would likely generate enough interest to go with another 500 issue. (HL would do it only if 500 were the minimum last time.) You would have forums members and members of that specific lighthouse community to whom it would be offered.

The amount of time and effort and the diligence and perseverance of the committee members is what brought this project to its realization. As we have all said before, it is something that all of us appreciate no end and we continue to applaud you and Harry for it. So, It would be easy to request an annual Special Edition light, but, because of the inordinate amount of work involved, that's unreasonable. Maybe it could be done every two years? It sounds like the committee members are willing - the rest of us are, for sure! cool

beachcomber
Re: New Ltd Edition - True Success or No #189673 06/04/06 08:46 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
With no doubt in my mind this was a tremendous Success.
The team worked hard ironing out the best solutions with every scenario brought up and discussed. Over 1000 post on the team forum too prove it. Not counting the many emails passed about.

I am very happy with the sales and they were pretty much what I expected.
At the very least I would call this a success because we were able to do it. The goals I hoped to acquire with the ELL and we did meet.

1. A rare collectable limited edition of no more than 500
2. A size that would fit in with the other limited editions.
3. A good-looking light but simple. (I love the stone tower)
4. A lighthouse that would be affordable for everyone. $50 including shipping.
5. To acquire enough sales up front when needed (site unseen) to purchase and ship the ELL
6. A light that Harbour Lights would not come back later and make a bigger bad-er looking light.
7. A light that the forum collectors would be happy with.

There is absolutely nothing that I regretted or wish that it was done differently. I wouldn’t change any of the team members or all the long debates and discussion that all the team members went thru to develop a light that we are proud of.

There was discussion about making a forum exclusive every two years. I definitely like John’s Idea about trying a 250 production. It would cost more but it definitely would sell out instantly. We have learned a lot from the ELL and the next collectors exclusive will go a lot smoother.

DANIEL
Re: New Ltd Edition - True Success or No #189674 06/06/06 06:34 AM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:

Perhaps we could work with the operators of a specific lighthouse in partnership to acheieve something they couldn't on their own -- to have Harbour Lights make a replica of their lighthouse. A community based group would have an additional base of supporters from which sales could be generated
This would be a good idea.

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: New Ltd Edition - True Success or No #189675 06/06/06 12:10 PM
kikigl Offline
Great idea, Eric!

Kay
Re: New Ltd Edition - True Success or No #189676 06/06/06 01:47 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Did we try to market any of the remaining ELL in the ELL neighborhood, group,etc. I really know nothing about that area. I know Huntington Harbour LH is interested in getting their LH made. I'm sure they'd commit to a good % of 500. I was able to sell 100 Cedar Islands very quickly last year in coordination with the LI Challenge and a BY three day visit! laugh

info at Huntinton Harbor LH web page

If the CF was interested in this LH, I would be willing to contact HHLH about their interest. smile

Obviously a big attraction to all of us is a low number edition! wink

Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: New Ltd Edition - True Success or No #189677 06/06/06 03:21 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Bob - I called every crook and craney in Erie, Pittsburgh and Cleveland to see if they were interested in taking a few off our hands. No one was interested including the HL dealers in the area. I also called the Maritime Museum and Historical Society and they gave the same resounding "not interested". It seems like the whole area is in a big slump when it comes to extra money for non- essentials. As one person so aptly put it "If it's $50 then a tank of gas on vacation is more important then a chunk of plaster". Coming from that area before joining the service I figured I could be able to sell a few but so much for that. No wonder Kim told me that HL would never do the ELL for regular production because the market for lighthouses is not located in that area of the country.

Rich
Re: New Ltd Edition - True Success or No #189678 06/06/06 03:43 PM
HCS Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Does anyone know how many were actually sold out of the 500?
HCS

Re: New Ltd Edition - True Success or No #189679 06/07/06 10:47 PM
Weasel58 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Yea, how well did it sell?

Eric
Re: New Ltd Edition - True Success or No #189680 07/01/06 02:24 PM
Brindfan Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I just bought one. smile

Re: New Ltd Edition - True Success or No #189681 07/03/06 10:55 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
As far as I know, there aren't that many left. The ELL project was definitely a success for the caring collectors who worked hard to produce this extremely rare piece to honor not only the Erie Land Light, but also the Collector Forums. A special thank you to all who supported this project.

smile Bob smile

Moderated by  Bob M 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,175 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users