Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
If the forums shut down what would you do? #189185 12/06/06 02:19 PM
DANIEL Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
If the forums shut down what would you do?

DANIEL
Re: If the forums shut down what would you do? #189186 12/06/06 03:46 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
If the CF were to close down, my interest in collecting HL's would be reduced. No one in my family or close circle of friends have any real interest in collecting HL's. The CF is the only thing that keeps my interest up.

Would I stop collecting completely if the CF went away? Probably not, but it would definitely be reduced. Maybe I would eventually give it up because of lack of interest somewhere along the line. I should add that the CF keeps me in the HL Game. If the CF goes, then the game would be over and my serious committment would also be over.

There are only three sites I visit frequently each day on the Net. The CF is first, my union's bulletin board is second, and eBay is third. My overall time on the computer has been somewhat reduced in the last year or so. Life just seems too busy to just sit and "play" on the Net.

smile Bob smile

Re: If the forums shut down what would you do? #189187 12/06/06 04:56 PM
R
rgurskey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
R
I hope this is a hypothetical question.

Re: If the forums shut down what would you do? #189188 12/06/06 05:44 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
I just paid the server rent bill, Robert, so don't think we are shutting down....

Re: If the forums shut down what would you do? #189189 12/06/06 06:47 PM
JJ Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I suspect that if this site shut down for some reason that many of us would wander off as a group to a new site to stay in touch. I believe that so many close friendships have developed here, that they would survive without this site or even without (gasp)HL.

Re: If the forums shut down what would you do? #189190 12/06/06 09:19 PM
R
ropetrick Offline
R
Dave,

Thanks for keeping the lights on.

Dan

Re: If the forums shut down what would you do? #189191 12/07/06 07:58 AM
Lighthouse Duo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
I hope this is a hypothetical question.
... so do I and I am glad to hear CF is not in imminent danger!

Appart from the HL interest, I would miss the fellow collector friends we made here!

But my interest in HL would also lessen without the news and stimulation the hobby receives here!

PLEASE keep going! smile

Margret
Lighthouse Duo
Live Love Laugh ...
Re: If the forums shut down what would you do? #189192 12/07/06 05:16 PM
silverfox51 Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I think the question is somewhat misleading. It implies a connection between collecting and this forum. I would still collect much as I do now but I would really miss the exchange of information from this forum. Harbour Lights is just a part of this forum. I get a lot of information about lighthouses and activities here that I would have to get some place else. I hope it doesn't shut down because there is a great number of knowledgable people who contribute to the success of this site and I would not like to loose them.

Re: If the forums shut down what would you do? #189193 12/07/06 06:28 PM
DANIEL Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Quote:
I think the question is somewhat misleading. It implies a connection between collecting and this forum. I would still collect much as I do now but I would really miss the exchange of information from this forum. Harbour Lights is just a part of this forum.
My objective is to point out the importance of this forum is to Harbour Lights for its sales. It sounds like you should pick #2. You would still buy just as many HL but Not having the forum would effect your collecting interest.

#1 means that you are a dieheart collector and this forum does not inspire you to buy anymore than you would if it did not exist.

In addition, the question is also intended to create a reality check. Let’s not take this forum for granted. It takes collectors to keep it alive and even though we are busy and sometimes it is hard to find time to participate, just think what it would be like without this forum.

DANIEL
Re: If the forums shut down what would you do? #189194 12/07/06 09:25 PM
Cyndi Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I would still collect because I love the Lighthouses. But since I joined this forum I have also started collecting other HL items that I did not know about or was on the fence about collecting. I have learned a lot about HL and lighthouses in general by being a part of these forums. Also I have gained a lot of friends that share in my love of Lighthouses. It has increased my interest in not just visiting more Lighthouses, which I plan on doing anyway, but also attending reunions and go on other trips. I would love to meet all of you some day.

Cyndi
Re: If the forums shut down what would you do? #189195 12/27/06 07:15 AM
shiulong Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I would still collect but it would be very boring.

Chuck eek

bigdragon
Re: If the forums shut down what would you do? #189196 12/28/06 03:38 AM
MelJB Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I would still collect, but would greatly miss the forums. Things that come to mind that would be missed tremendously because we would no longer be "connected" include variations, special connected collector events, secondary market via the Trading Post, being able to discuss HL with people on a daily basis, finding out about lighthouse preservation issues quickly etc.

Membership in a Harbour Lights Collectors club would be even more valuable than it is now, but even that would still limit you to the information available in your group.

Melody
Re: If the forums shut down what would you do? #189197 12/28/06 10:50 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
I would still collect but it would be very boring. Chuck
I totally agree with you, Chuck. The CF is the best way to share your HL collecting experiences. It pumps us up for new releases and it allows us to vent when we experience contrary minded feelings. I'm the only one in my family circle who likes HL's. The CF allows me to share my enthusiasm with others.

Quote:
I would still collect, but would greatly miss the forums. Things that come to mind that would be missed tremendously because we would no longer be "connected" include variations, special connected collector events, secondary market via the Trading Post, being able to discuss HL with people on a daily basis, finding out about lighthouse preservation issues quickly etc.

Membership in a Harbour Lights Collectors club would be even more valuable than it is now, but even that would still limit you to the information available in your group. Mel B.
I agree, Mel. Communication is the key. Without communication among the members, we would never have access to all the information we need to be a true connected collector. As Sy Symms once said, "An informed consumer is our best customer."

Quote:
Harbour Lights is just a part of this forum. I get a lot of information about lighthouses and activities here that I would have to get some place else. I hope it doesn't shut down because there is a great number of knowledgable people who contribute to the success of this site and I would not like to loose them. Silverfox
You hit the nail right on the head with that statement, Silverfox. There is a wealth of information to be had here, and many a knowledgeable brain to pick. Sharing of info makes life a little easier for many.

smile Bob smile

Moderated by  Bob M 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,175 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users