Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Little Lights of Mine-What do you think? #189049 01/12/09 06:07 PM
rustyjax Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko

After reading and posting many topics here on our forum,,,several have spoken about the
"Little lights of Mine"(LLOM).

This got me to thinking if most see these pieces as I do! Oh, I would have posted a "POLL" on this, but I was not allowed.?????(would have been perfect for this)

I brought up the topic of how I wanted to see HL produce a particular LE piece. Well, several mentioned that they could see it as a LLOM, and not a LE. This got me to thinking,,,,do some of you feel our HL are on levels of importance? Are some pieces worthy of being a LE, and others are lucky to be the $15 LLOM?

You see, I don't veiw HL in this light,,,,
This is my understanding;

HL started as LE,
then branched out to OE's of LE's, so others could obtain popular pieces hard to find.

Then branched out further to the LLOM "of the" LE's, so the, not so serious, or more economical minded, could be apart of these wonderful lights!

As a collector,, I would want to see EVERYTHING HARBOUR LIGHTS PRODUCED as a Limited edition(LE).

IF I could, I would have posted a POLL that looked simular to this;

why would you buy a LLOM?
why did HARBOUR LIGHTS produce LLOM?
are LLOM "reproductions" of LE's?

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?

Rusty
check out all my lighthouse photo's here;
http://travel.webshots.com/album/487578687vrLTkI
Re: Little Lights of Mine-What do you think? #189050 01/12/09 07:39 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Don't need a poll to answer these.

Quote:
Originally posted by rustyjax:
why would you buy a LLOM?
why did HARBOUR LIGHTS produce LLOM?
are LLOM "reproductions" of LE's?
Why would you buy a LLOM? It I had cash flow and/or display space limitations.

Why did HARBOUR LIGHTS produce LLOM? For collectors who have cash flow and/or display space limitations.

Are LLOM "reproductions" of LE's? No, there are many LLOM's that aren't LE's(yet). I'm still waiting for a LE of Tinicum Range and Finns Point. Both have been released as LLOM's but not yet as an LE.

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Little Lights of Mine-What do you think? #189051 01/12/09 08:23 PM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I will add the following as responses to both of the first two questions...

~The LLOM's were/are a perfect size & price point for the lighthouse gift shop to sell to the tourists wanting an affordable remembrance of their visit.

~The LLOM's have been wonderful fundraisers for lighthouse groups.

~The LLOM's are a perfect starter point for the younger generation becoming interested in lighthouses and collecting.

~The detail on the LLOM's is outstanding.

~ Some LLOM "limited editions" have been produced, making them unique and sought after.

Judy

Judy
Re: Little Lights of Mine-What do you think? #189052 01/12/09 10:10 PM
rustyjax Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
ok,
because I haven't collected these, still learning about them, Am I correct in saying that the LLOM are not numbered?
And if so, how are there limited editons?
Judy, which ones are?

oh, side note,,, after reading my original note,,,it sounds as if I don't think they should be produced! I do!!!,,and love them, and understand the value to those who get them! I buy them for my son, of which he is excited to call his HARBOUR LIGHTS collection!

Rusty
check out all my lighthouse photo's here;
http://travel.webshots.com/album/487578687vrLTkI
Re: Little Lights of Mine-What do you think? #189053 01/13/09 12:30 AM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
The LLOM product was designed for the gift shop buyer. I believe the LLOM is incredibly detailed for the price point. There are many who would have "collected" LLOM, even though they are not numbered, if the product had been on the market when they started their collections.

There have been maybe a dozen or so LLOM that have been produced as a quasi-limited edition. In these cases, usually the first 300 have been hand numbered and sold to either a lighthouse preservation group or one dealer. In some cases the buyer has purchased the entire initial run of 500, but only the first 300 were numbered. I believe the only exception to this was a special numbered set of Thomas Point that used an already existing model.

The group buying the special editions will have an exclusive for the first six months or so. HL will not put the model into general distribution for this period so the group has a chance to sell their models. The numbered version differs from the regular version only by virtue of being numbered.

These have been great fundraisers for a number of groups. Off hand, some of the lights that have been done this way are Pointe Aux Barques, Crisp Point & Middle Island in MI (I think the third one was Middle Island); Pottawatomie WI, Cedar Island and Huntington Harbor, NY, as well as several New England lights. Memory is shot, but Cape Annies did one light in MA and NELL has done/will do a series of lights over several years. There are others, this list is not complete.

Re: Little Lights of Mine-What do you think? #189054 01/22/09 02:31 AM
E
erniedee Offline
Wacko
Wacko
E
I think LLOMs have their place, For instance, space doesn't allow me to display LEs in my office, so I have LLOMs there. Just a few.

I've never been a fan though, of LLOMs (or OEs, or anything else for that matter)before LEs.
I don't think any piece should be done unless it has been previously released as a Limited Edition.
I have all the Florida lights. Cape St. George, Port Boca Grande and Cape Florida (after restoration) all look puny next to their sisters.
I'm sure these will never be released as full size limited editions.

Re: Little Lights of Mine-What do you think? #189055 01/22/09 07:06 PM
CAVR Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave H:
These have been great fundraisers for a number of groups. Off hand, some of the lights that have been done this way are Pointe Aux Barques, Crisp Point & Middle Island in MI (I think the third one was Middle Island); Pottawatomie WI, Cedar Island and Huntington Harbor, NY, as well as several New England lights.
Dave,

Crisp Point and Middle Island, MI ....when were these limited edition LLOMs released?

Getting back to the original question of this thread, I support the idea of limited edition LLOM mainly for the fund raising vehicle for organizations and lighthouse societies. I currently collect limited edition LLOMs if they are of a lighthouse that reside in the area of the country that I collect unless someone wanted to do something crazy and have an edition size of like 50-100, but I don't see that ever happening.

-Christopher
"CAVR"
Re: Little Lights of Mine-What do you think? #189056 01/22/09 11:43 PM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
Both were introduced last year. Crisp Point pretty much sold out to their society and the few collectors who knew about it. Not sure if there are any left. Middle Island was probably announced at the Alpena festival. Not sure how it is/was being sold. Perhaps someone who was at the festival could start a new thread up in the HL products forum and let us in on whatever they might know.

Re: Little Lights of Mine-What do you think? #189057 01/23/09 02:25 PM
5lights Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Crisp point sold out their original 300. But according to their website they are doing an additional run of 200. crisp point harbour lights llom

Debbie
Re: Little Lights of Mine-What do you think? #189058 01/23/09 03:37 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
The way I read the page they ordered 200 more because of the way sales of the first 300 numbered have gone, that doesn't necessarily mean they are sold out of the numbered ones yet..

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Little Lights of Mine-What do you think? #189059 01/23/09 04:51 PM
5lights Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I guess I just assumed they ordered more because they had sold out. I have emailed an inquiry to find out for sure.

Debbie
Re: Little Lights of Mine-What do you think? #189060 01/24/09 05:26 PM
Rock Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I was never of fan of the LLOMs...in my opinion, between them and the GLOWs, they successfully diminished interest in the LE line...but out of desperation in maintaining pesonal interest in HL in general, I purchased the Pt. Cabrillo LLOM because it is a LE, and I plan on trying to obtain a Crisp Pt. LLOM because it is a LE...but I'd much prefer to see HL dump the LLOMs and the GLOWs altogether and shrink the LEs down to a smaller size...and no more blinkers please!

Re: Little Lights of Mine-What do you think? #189061 01/25/09 01:12 AM
bright eyes Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
The numbered (1-300) Crisp Point LLOM with special markings are sold out.

Re: Little Lights of Mine-What do you think? #189062 01/25/09 02:24 AM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
I guess you read it correctly, Debbie.

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Little Lights of Mine-What do you think? #189063 01/25/09 11:57 PM
Rock Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
They have more, they're just not numbered...

Re: Little Lights of Mine-What do you think? #189064 01/26/09 12:00 PM
5lights Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I have received an email from CPLHS and Rock is correct.

Debbie
Re: Little Lights of Mine-What do you think? #189065 01/26/09 09:00 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Very surprised that no one has mentioned how or what the Middle Island LLOM is doing! Seems someone on the forums must have some knowledge of what may be going on or who to contact. If anyone has the information, I sure would love to hear it.

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: Little Lights of Mine-What do you think? #189066 01/27/09 10:58 AM
5lights Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I also would be interested!

Debbie
Re: Little Lights of Mine-What do you think? #189067 01/28/09 02:49 PM
CAVR Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Does anybody know if there is a LLOM product number for either the Crisp Point and/or Middle Island, MI?

I don't have anything in my product list.....
I love a good hunt!

-Christopher
"CAVR"
Re: Little Lights of Mine-What do you think? #189068 01/28/09 02:53 PM
bright eyes Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Product # for LLOM Crisp Point is LL301, from my L.E. Crisp Point box.

Moderated by  Bob M 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Dave H), 1,191 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users