Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion #188704 08/29/04 07:31 PM
JJ Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Bill Younger made a major announcement today at the home of Kate & Dave Hemming in Shelbyville, IN while attending Grillin N Gatherin, an event of the The Hoosier Lighthousing Club.

The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion will be held August 29th to September 1, 2005 on Mackinac Island, Michigan at a hotel other than the Grand Hotel. This reunion will be different than past reunions in that it will be planned by collectors in association with Younger and Associates. Our own Saint Dave Hannum will coordinate the reunion aided by other collectors including Patty Kaiser.

There will be two lighthouse viewing cruises, special activities, such as paint your own lighthouse, and lots of down time to explore the island and hang out with the other wackos.

Existing members of HL collectors clubs may pre-register through their clubs and by mail. These members will receive Reunion Exclusive numbers after the call in registrants, but may call in to improve their numbers. Call in registration will be Thursday October 7th, 2004 between 6AM to 12 Noon, Pacific time.

Prices are set by the number of adults in the room:
Cost for 1 adult will be $1250.00
Cost for 2 adults will be $1900.00
Cost for 3 adults will be $2600.00
Cost for 4 adults will be $3300.00

These costs will be broken into 3 payments with a deposit due at registration, a payment due on 1/15/05 and the final payment due on 5/15/05.

More details will follow and a FAQ page will be up at HarbourLights.com in the next few days.

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion #188705 08/29/04 07:41 PM
RezmanDale Offline
Outstanding!!

Diana and I will be there for this one.

Dale

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion #188706 08/29/04 07:56 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Many Thanks Jim,

Finally something has come through that we can sink our teeth into. The price is higher than I was hoping to pay, but I believe it will be worth it. At least the Baltimore Reunion was.

Now I’ll have to mow grass, shovel walks, watch America’s Most Wanted, mug unsuspecting old ladies, and attempt to sell my sister-in-law and two neices on EBay in order to get enough money to finance the trip. I wonder how long it would take me to walk there. The last portion would involve getting to the island and that might prove be a tad difficult, but the swim might do me good.

HOPE TO SEE EVERYONE THERE.

By the way, do we know the total number of people that will be allowed to attend?

Bob

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion #188707 08/29/04 08:14 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Sounds great but a little to rich for my blood. By the time I pay for transportation up and back for Amy and myself, incidentals and some food I would have spent at least $3,000 and that will buy the fishing boat that I want. Guess I'll be looking for someone to buy a set of Reunion pieces from, assuming they will have a full size and a mini size and be willing to sell. Any takers out there want to sell a matched set and pay part of their trip?

Rich
Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion #188708 08/29/04 08:41 PM
Jenifer Selwa Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Jim or Dave, do you know if there are any plans to perhaps offer a pay-per-event option, such as the lighthouse cruises, or certain seminars, to those that can't afford to do all-inclusive Reunion? I have a feeling there will be quite a few people that want to go but can't afford that kind of price. I know we can't - not right now. Perhaps that could be looked at?

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion #188709 08/29/04 09:57 PM
bright eyes Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
WOW! A reunion in our backyard....so to speak! smile

My high school class trip was to Mackinac Island in May 1972 with 200 classmates. For our 25th class reunion, our theme was, "The return visit of the Class of '72 to Mackinac Island" ! We had t-shirts made up with the saying, "WE'RE BACK....the class of '72". (Received some strange looks from that statement!)

Oh...do I have memories of those " CLASS TRIPS! laugh laugh

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion #188710 08/29/04 10:01 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Rich,

What is a "fisfing boat"? Just kidding.

Bob

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion #188711 08/30/04 12:12 AM
Shortcake Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
1 adult will be $1250.00
eek eek eek eek eek eek eek eek

So what do I get for my money? I've never been to a reunion, but I assume that this price includes ALL meals and lodging, boat trips and entry fees.......etc.

Even with all that, this is a heck of a lot of money!! I normaly sleep in the car when I go to events. Joe and I have gone on 5 day Lighthouse trips and never seen the inside of a motel. We go cheep or we don't go! This rule has only been broken once and that was for the St. Augestine Regional, when we booked a room at Sleep Inn and went on the bus trip to Cape Canaveral.

I'm not saying that I'm ruling out this Reunion, cause I really want to go!! But I want to know what I'm paying for before I make that decision.

Stephanie

God may have created man before woman,
but there is always a rough draft before the masterpiece.
Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion #188712 08/30/04 01:47 AM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Just out of curiosity...how much DID it cost to attend the Baltimore Reunion?

The prices mentioned for 2005 sound off the wall to me...and I am a major event planner.

Judy

Judy
Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion #188713 08/30/04 02:34 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
The price is inclusive covering all the meals, events, admissions, boat tours and even transportation to the island from Mackinaw City or St. Ignace. Not included are alcohol and the purchase of up to 2 Event Exclusive Limited Editions per registered person.

Approximately 225 hotel rooms are available and the number of registrants to attend may depend on how those rooms fill up -- mostly 2 to a room or 20% 3 to a room, etc.

Approximately 475 collectors attended the 1997 San Diego Reunion and I'd say this one will be around that size.

As to costs, keep in mind that Mackinac Island is an expensive place to lodge and has a relatively short season and shuts completely down for the winter. While there are many smaller restaurants on the Island, there are only two that could seat all of those coming to the reunion at one time. You couldn't loose 450 people for an hour and a half and expect them all to find a place to eat and be back for an afternoon meeting, for example.

There is also no 'shoulder season'. Booking ALL the rooms at the Mission Point Resort probably doesn't get you a discount on rooms; they would have filled every room anyway during the week before labor day.

In the past, many of the expenses for the Reunions were underwritten by Harbour Lights, including the staff planning and airfreighting items from China. Now the event is self-supporting so all the various expenses must be covered by those attending.

I have had the opportunity to attend all three Reunions so far and I am counting on being at the 2005 one, too. They have been great times with good friends -- some old, some newly made ones.

No doubt some who would like to be there will be unable to attend due to the costs, but we do have about 12 months to work on it.

Mackinac Island is a great place, the Straits of Mackinac are rich in lighthouses and lighthouse lore. Michigan has more lighthouses than any other state and the vast majority are accessible by the public.

Unfortunately no cars are permitted on Mackinac Island; Shortcake -- you and Joe won't be able to 'bunk in the Buick.'

As announced by Bill, our own Dave Hannum is the point man on the 2005 Reunion. He's put in many, many hours so far and it is going to occupy many more hours of his time before it is underway. I for one, want to say 'congratulations' to Dave for the trust and confidence that the Youngers have placed in him and wish him the best.

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion #188714 08/30/04 03:04 AM
Jenifer Selwa Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
No wonder it's going to be so expensive. Mission Point is the most expensive place on the Island next to the Grand. Why was the Island chosen instead of Mackinaw City, John? I would think that would have had a lot more flexibility in regards to price, dates, places, restaurants, etc...I would absolutely love to go, as I've never stayed at Mission Point, but just can't afford it.

Also, three nights, on a Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, puts a crimp in airfare savings. You need a Saturday night stayover with most carriers in order to get a decent fare, plus you are going to need a car rental. The Pellston Airport, closest one to Mackinaw Island, also is not cheap to fly into. If you want to save on airfare and fly into Detroit or Chicago, you are looking at a six to seven hour drive.

And John, there is a "shoulder season" up there. End of September to mid-October is far cheaper, especially mid-week, than summer rates, which the rates are the last week of August. Everything in Mackinaw City is also fully open, including shops, until mid-October. It's also stated right on Mission Resort's website that their shoulder season is 9/6-10/30 and there is an $80 difference in room rates PER NIGHT.

Why couldn't two or three hotels in Mackinaw City be set up with a block of rooms at each one and then a conference facility used for the main events? If the conference facility used was within walking distance to restaurants, which almost everything in Mackinaw City it would sure be a lot easier. The Ramada Inn accommodates 400 people for conferences. You could also serve lunch there if that's where the main events took place...I'm just throwing out ideas here...

I love Mackinaw Island, but for the lighthouse lover, being cooped up on Mackinaw Island for four days and no lighthouses to see other than scheduled boat cruises would put a damper on it for me. At least if you are in the City you have at least six lights within less than a two hour drive.

Sorry to vent, it's the former travel agent in me...I just think this could be made far more affordable.

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion #188715 08/30/04 03:35 AM
Pharologst Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Wow, talk about exclusivity! and at only $1250 per person!! I'm guessing that 'Joe Average' won't be there.

Geo H.
Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion #188716 08/30/04 04:09 AM
Jenifer Selwa Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
PS. As for the travel agent comment, I worked as one for three years in a large Ann Arbor corporate agency booking large groups like this for local and national companies...

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion #188717 08/30/04 10:46 AM
Elmer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
This thread is going to get pretty interesting over the course of the next week or so and from what I can read into the posts up until now, I would say they are running about 33% Postitive, 33% Negarive, and with about 34% Undecided and about 1% of the vote counted.

My two cents worth ..... for whatever that's worth:
* I've only been to one Reunion - in Baltimore and it was wonderful. Carol & I met some really nice people that we would not have ever met otherwise and made some lasting friendships that are PRICELESS!!
* Mackinac Island is lovely and will make for a terrific venue for a Reunion get together ... lighthouses abound in the area and getting out to see the candy-striped White Shoal will be special.
* I agree, the price is high ..... BUT I have no doubt that the experience will be wonderful and memorable. You have to remember that, from what I can gather, previous Reunions were planned and heavily subsidized by Harbour Lights which kept the costs to collectors lower. This reunion has to sink or swim on it's own ... i.e., all costs must be borne by the collectors. I'm sure the Reunion team, Dave Hannum & helpers, are doing their best to keep costs as affordable as possible while also trying to organize a Reunion that will be memorable and the "best one yet"!
* the Mission Point Resort on Mackinac Island is lovely and I'm sure will not disappoint.
* it would be awesome if a Keweenaw Star cruise out of Houghton, MI., that would go to Fourteen Mile Point, Ontonagon, the Apostle Islands, Two Harbors & Split Rock could be organized and offered either immediately before or after the Reunion ... probably before would be better ... would get it away from the Labor Day weekend. laugh

Carol & I will be watching this thread with great interest and hope all this comes together without a lot of angst. From my perspective the opportunity to get together and meet old friends and make new friends is worth every dollar to me, and as far as I'm concerned Carol and I will definitely attend. laugh

I'll be quiet now and will sit back and listen. smile

Dan

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion #188718 08/30/04 11:36 AM
bonnebert Offline
Robert and I attended the Baltimore reunion, our first, and enjoyed it so much that we actually started planning and saving the next one. Right now we have the funds to cover the reunion cost, and will continue to save til reunion time for pay for driving, yes driving, since Robert does not really like to fly. Plus we can extend the vacation time and lighthouse along the way up and back. So we will be there, for sure, AND

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to ME
HAPPY BIRTHDAY to ME
HAPPY BIRTHDAY to ME.....ee
HAPPY BIRTHDAY to ME

It's August 31st, and I will be spending a milestone birthday with fellow WACKOS at the reunion. I will be turning "60".

Joyce

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion #188719 08/30/04 12:39 PM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
John, I still would be curious to know how the costs compare to the Baltimore Reunion.

Nevermind the fact that the costs then were subsidized by Harbour Lights. I really would like to know.

I commend Dave Hannum for taking on this project. Dave will do an outstanding job, and I know the work that is ahead of him, and what's gone into getting the planning to this stage.

Yey Dave!!

I do think a reunion could have been set up in Michigan a lot less expensive, and just as entertaining, allowing more people the opportunity to attend.

Also, making the price all inclusive does not allow for any flexibility.

On the otherhand, I'm thrilled that Joyce & Robert will be able to attend, and perhaps also represent the Outer Banks Lighthouse Lovers Harbour Lights Collectors Club. Those of us who can't spend that kind of money will be supporting Joyce and Robert in spirit...and sending her great wishes for her 60th!

Judy

Judy
Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion #188720 08/30/04 12:43 PM
Shortcake Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
WOW..... What a place!!! Thanks for the link Elmer

I can hardly imagine me in a place like that. It's sure not like the Roach Motels that Joe and I normally stay at. But then again we normally only pay $20. to $40. a night. That is when we feel like splurging to get a room instead of sleeping in the car or throwing up a tent somewhere. Not that we couldn't afford better.....We're just cheep!

I think maybe I'll just have to quit smoking, put my cigarette money in a jar and maybe by reunion time, I'll have the money to go. Well,...... that's not likely to happen. But maybe I can come up with something else to save the money needed. Cause this would be an experience of a Life Time.

Anybody out there willing to share a room with a pair of smokers? Would cut the cost for both of us. They do have smoking rooms at this place don't they?????

I too think that maybe a date change would be in order. After looking at the above mentioned link, room rates are much cheeper in September. You would only have to postpone the event one week to get that cheeper rate.

Stephanie

God may have created man before woman,
but there is always a rough draft before the masterpiece.
Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion #188721 08/30/04 01:33 PM
Shirin Offline
Unfortunately, it looks like I'm out for this already unless things change....

Shirin
Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion #188722 08/30/04 01:47 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I've been using a website called Trip Advisor for the past year or so when I plan my trips.

They have use revies of both places to stay and places to eat. The mission Point Resort is reviewed there. The reviews are all over the map.

I have found generally that the reviews of the places I ended up staying at after researching here and other places are usually pretty accurate- not always because some people have different expectations and standards. you have to read between the lines.

Here's a link to the reviews of the mission Point Resort-

Reviews

If this link does not work for some reason go to
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ and enter Mackinac Island into the destination box and you'll get to the page about the whole island. Scroll down and chose Hotels and then scroll down to #13 Mission Point Resort.

Dennis
Edited by Jim Johnson to shorten url

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion #188723 08/30/04 02:32 PM
DMancini Offline
Wow. Sounds like a great event, and I'm sure Dave will do an awesome job in its planning.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend. Mainly due to the costs--I'm getting married later that month (September) and there is no way I can afford a wedding AND the Reunion.

I'm sure all those that attend will have a wonderful experience. Just make sure to share photos and stories with those of us who won't be able to attend.

Diane
Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion #188724 08/30/04 05:04 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks for the info on the reunion but I doubt that I'll be able to afford it. A few dollars more will get you 5 nights at I.O.'s son's wedding next June....in Jamaica. That one's all inclusive too, even drinks! wink

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion #188725 08/30/04 05:17 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Mombo,

Are you sure they know who's coming to this event with drinks included? laugh

Are they gonna water 'em down to save a few bucks?
laugh
Dennis

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion #188726 08/30/04 05:19 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Diane,

Unless i remember incorrectly there will be a Lighthouse involved in your weddin- probably more than one, but I'm referring to the real big one that will be involved.

We'd like pictures of the event here also- even if there wasn't a Lighthouse involved. laugh

Dennis

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion #188727 08/30/04 06:05 PM
Kat Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Jen,
I was at the Grilling n Gathering with Bill at the Hemmings home(very nice by the way)..anyway the reason the cost seems high in comparison to other years is that we will be paying for this one 100% on our own. If I am not mistaken Harbour Lights had helped pay some of the cost of the previous Reunions. So ladies and gentlemen I believe we owe Harbour Lights and especially Bill and his family a huge thankyou for those past Reunions and stop complaining about the cost. Also a huge thanks to Dave Hannum for pulling this one together at a fantastic place! Sure some of us are not going to go because maybe a boat is more important...thats cool! But, like everything else in life we have to decide how important is it to go and what would you give up to get there. I for one can't wait and would like to say personally thankyou Dave for your hard work and dedication. And, thankyou Harbour Lights for all you do for your collectors. AMEN.

I apologize if I have offended anyone, it was not my intention. smile

KAT {=*+*=}
Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion #188728 08/30/04 06:31 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
I would like to second what Kat said and also say that I believe if it wasn't for all of Dave's efforts we would still be saying this year, next year and maybe forever , "When is the next reunion going to be? It has been years since the last one in Baltimore."

I realized this is not going to be in some people's budget and that is a shame, but I also realize that the most important thing about the upcoming Reunion is that we all help out those planning it, in any way that we can.

Dave and other's have stepped up to the plate and there will be a 2005 Reunion because of their efforts!

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion #188729 08/30/04 06:46 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Paul & Kat,

I agree that Dave and the others involved are due many thanks from all of those clamoring for a Reunion. I thank Dave and anybody else who has had a hand in this and I'm sure they've tried to think of everything. They have listened to the large number of voices that wanted a Reunion in the Great Lakes area and tried to satisfy the largest faction of people.

I think most people will see that while the cost is high the event will be worth it to those who are able to go. I have not decided if it's feasible for me to attend but I have some time to discern that before I need to sign up.

I don't believe that precludes us from asking questions and offering suggestions and voicing our concerns. The simple fact that people ask questions or challenge decisions is not a negative thing. It is sometimes needed to have things explained a bit before agreeing to the whole thing.

The old adage is you can't please everybody all of the time- so you've got to please yourself applies here. There is no way that everyone is going to agree with all of the aspects of this gigantic undertaking so those planning it have to make difficult choices.

I think like with many things around here we'll go back and forth for a bit and in the end things will work themselves out.

I'm mostly disapointed that the concerns voiced by many people that the sign up be equalized for all is not being followed again- but at least this time this information is being disclosed upfront and not being kept on the QT.

Dennis

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion #188730 08/30/04 08:15 PM
bonnebert Offline
My memory is not as good as it once was, and I'm not exactly sure about the Baltimore reunion cost, but I think it was somewhere in the neighborhood between $1200-$1300 for 2 people. Can anyone else comment on this?

Joyce

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion #188731 08/30/04 08:15 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Dennis, I think Kat and I were just pointing out some positives that people need to remember and suggestions are always welcome..

The signup issue was addressed and Bill made a point of mentioning that at the Grillin..

He said that there probably wasn't any totally fair method of doing it but that Harbour Lights did want to support the clubs whose members had been supporting lighthouses and their restoration efforts..

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion #188732 08/30/04 08:35 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
A point of clarification. While I've been priviledged to know that Dave was spearheading the Reunion for Harbour Lights, I am not a part of the group Dave has been working with to make the event happen.

I have given him feedback, but Dave has had the benefit of assistance from Mike & Patty Kaiser. I've offered a lot of advice without being asked, but Dave had generally already figured out how to handle things I brought up.

I'm sorry I don't recall the costs of the Baltimore Reunion, the Providence Reunion, or the San Diego ones. Since I seldom throw anything away, I'm sure that the figures are in one of the boxes that occupy my two-car garage, but I ain't going hunting for them!

You might try the 'way back machine' and see if there are cached pages from HarbourLights.com from 2001 and before.

However, even if you find the prices, they can't be comparable -- different times, different locations, different venues. I expect this one will sell out as have the previous three events and the reports after the event will probably be 'glowing.'

Each person has to evaluate their own financial situation and objectives. Spend your money wisely.

It's a big 'chunk o change' but it could have been more expensive.

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion #188733 08/30/04 08:39 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Paul,

Not to belabor the point- but I don't quite understand how allowing certain people to register differently is fair at all.

It's discriminatory to those supporters of HL and Lighthouses that don't happen to belong to a club that is recognized by HL as one that counts, in this instance.

I belong to a number of Lighthouse Socities that provide support to lighthouses but that counts for nothing in this instance.

I'll never be convinced that any other method than total first come first served is the correct way to do it but I have to accept what is decided by the people planning the event.

It's the only option that treats everyone fairly. I'll give the Powers That Be this- at least this time it's a policy that is disclosed as opposed to a secret option allowed for the last Reunion while the "official" setup was everyone had to call in to register.

I'll attempt to never mention this again as it won't change anything and will only serve to stir up trouble.

Dennis

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion #188734 08/30/04 08:44 PM
RezmanDale Offline
Since I haven't been able to attend the other reunions, I have decided to do what I have to to be at this one. Since we have so much advanced notice I can begin saving now and will probably sell a few things to be there. I think Dave and those working on this project are doing a great job and are to be commended!!! it sounds like a once in a lifetime experience for someone like me and I will do what I have to in order to be there.

Dale

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion #188735 08/30/04 09:04 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion #188736 08/30/04 09:08 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
The odds of me at least trying to register for the Reunion took a large leap at dinner this evening.

I mentioned to Esther that there had been an announcement about the next HL Reunion and there was a cautious interst. I then mentioned where it was planned for and caution was thrown to the wind.
laugh

I expected just that reaction from her.

Dennis

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion #188737 08/30/04 09:23 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
I would love to go but there are some big excluders for us, short notice, short registration on a work day and it's expensive. Somebody hit me with some positivety. The nearest airport is only an hours drive?

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion #188738 08/30/04 10:27 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Hi Sean, actually nearest airport is minutes away in St Agnace (especially useful if you fly your own plane). Nearest airport of any size is a couple of hours away in Grand Traverse... under 2:30 hours away!

4:30 hours from Grand Rapids and 5:00 hours from Detroit.. There may be some bus trips arranged from Detroit to Mackinaw City with lighthouse stops along the way.. It has been talked about.

Most positive thing I can come up with is, I am positive you will be missed if you can't make it!

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion #188739 08/30/04 10:32 PM
Jenifer Selwa Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
The closest airport, Pellston, is about 25 miles from Mackinaw City.

I hope I haven't come across as negative in my ramblings. I was just hoping that somewhere along the line that perhaps the location and/or date would change to Mackinaw City instead of the Island and a non-inclusive or cheaper price would be re-issued. I am sure it will be an incredible trip and gathering of friends and collectors, whom I dearly long to see again, as much fun as I have had at the regionals. I just want to go in the worst way but can't afford the price. Even with the payments spread out as such my husband would never let me spend that much money.

Kat, and others, thanks for your insight. I also applaud Dave in his efforts and have offered to help him in any way I can, even if I can't attend.

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion #188740 08/30/04 11:05 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Paul – St. Agnace sounds wonderful, but unfortunately I don’t own my own plane. Actually I barely own a car.

Jen – Pellston sounds equally wonderful, but does American fly there? I sure would like you to join in the festivities. Your pictures are always so beautiful and inspiring.

It looks like touchdown is going to have to be Grand Traverse.

But thank you both for the information.

Bob

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion #188741 08/31/04 12:07 AM
bright eyes Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
St. Ignace, Michigan is the correct spelling.

NORTHWEST AIRLINES services the following airports that will help you with your travels for the '05 reunion!

*Cherry Capitol Airport, in Traverse City, Michigan www.tvcairport.com
Approx. 100 miles southwest of Mackinac Island.

*Pellston Regional Airport, in Pellston, Michigan
www.pellstonairport.com
Approx. 25 miles south of Mackinac Island.

*Chippewa County Airport, 18 miles SOUTH of Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan, www.airciu.com
Approx. 35 miles NORTH of Mackinac Island/St. Ignace, Michigan

Also:
AMERICAN AIRLINES flies into Traverse City, Michigan airport.

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion #188742 08/31/04 12:13 AM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
frown frown frown frown frown

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion #188743 08/31/04 12:17 AM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks, Mary I corrected my spelling and Bob's spelling of Agnace since he was just following my lead... My only excuse, since I just recently spent a night in St Agnace, is that I work with an Agnes and I am used to typing her name..

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion #188744 08/31/04 12:22 AM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Mary,

Thank you so very much. Traverse City it is. By the way, why not pitch a tent in your backyard? Then maybe some of the folks could stay there. (Just kidding.)

Bob

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion #188745 08/31/04 12:44 AM
2beacons Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
First of all I really appreciate the hard work that has already gone into this event before it ever was known what was going on. Dave, Mike and Patty have done a lot of leg work in the planning stages before the final destination was known. Yes, they looked at other places but there were problems in each of those places. It was a given that not everyone would be happy and so the posts seem.

The Baltimore reunion was greatly supplemented by money from Harbour Lights. The collectible industry today is nowhere near what it was back then. This reunion has to pay its own way by our payments. I think Dave is trying his best to make it more afforable by having installments on the total cost of the event.

Also remember this ..... it may very well be the last one. Those who have gone to the others have always praised them. We were fortunate enough to go to Baltimore. We have made friends both there and from then on on the trips that have been planned by Dave Hannum and Suzanne Murphy. Without this collectible family we never would have made such great friends. We have gotten involved in lighthouse peservation that we would not have done without this group of people.

Not everyone who wanted to go the each one got to go and I am sure it will be the same again. But if you really want to go....try to come up with a plan to do so.

It is a year away....and counting.

Michigan is a great place in the fall, no hurricanes.

Mary

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion #188746 08/31/04 01:21 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
There are SO many opportunities for lighthousing in Michigan. Why not make this trip last longer and amortize the total cost over more days?

For example, fly into Chicago Midway on Southwest and take a 2 day drive up the Lake Michigan shoreline starting with Michigan City IN.

Or fly into Flint and drive up the Lake Huron shore from Bay City. I've found cheap fares going into and out of cities like Grand Rapids and Flint.

If you can drive -- and many more may choose to drive -- you might consider hooking up with others attending along the route and enjoying a few extra days before or after Mackinac Island.

Dave has talked about the possibility of a coach tour up the Lake Michigan shore from Chicago. You might fly into Chicago on a Friday, overnight there and start a coach tour up the shoreline arriving in Mackinaw City on Sunday evening. Labor Day weekend is the one that follows the Reunion, so you'll need to make advance plans for places to stay and for air reservations.

Consider making reservations for Mackinaw City on Sep 1 and visit this city before departing either through the UP or visiting other land lights in the Northern lower peninsula.

There are lots of possibilities and we WACKOs have been known to go lighthousing at the drop of a hat.

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion #188747 08/31/04 01:28 AM
W
WisKeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
W
People at the Grillin picnic also asked me about conducting my club's Apostle Island boat tour from Houghton, MI past Ontonagon, 14 Mile Point, Apostle Islands, Two Harbors, and Split Rock lights on Lake Superior the week before the reunion. If people are interested in doing this, please let me know.

Don't forget about the lighthouse opportunities in Michigan's Upper Peninsula and also in Wisconsin along Lake Superior and Lake Michigan.

From St. Ignace, it isn't too far a drive to Point Iroquois Lighthouse, Whitefish Point Lighthouse, and Seul Choix Lighthouse. There are also opportunities in Sault Ste. Marie.

Suzanne Murphy
President, Wisconsin Lighthouse District (WILD)
Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion #188748 08/31/04 02:00 AM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Suzanne,

Your proposal would be ecstatically WILD. (Little play on words there.) I was sort of hoping that your ingenuity would come into play and that the Fresnel lens in your mind would ignite. (It's getting late -- need sleep.)

Your idea is magnificent. You can count me in -- assuming, of course, that I manage to obtain a slot at the Reunion. If not, I’ll undoubtedly just hold my breath until I turn a horrible shade of blue.

Bob

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion #188749 08/31/04 02:09 AM
Jenifer Selwa Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Suzanne, you can count me in, too. I have never been west of Apostle and would love the opportunity!

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion #188750 08/31/04 03:21 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
It being a scant 4 years since suggesting a reunion at Mackinac, this news warms the cockles of my oil pots.

Michigan's Upper Peninsula is rich is lighthouse lore and maritime history as it straddles Lakes Michigan and Superior. Thank you for choosing the Midwest.

Say Ya to da UP,
Saint Pasty

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion #188751 08/31/04 04:34 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The nearest airport? that would be on the island.... I don't know what kind of service or comerical service there is but there is an airport at the high point of the island.

terraserver lookie see at the island

the little white dot near the breakwater's is the round island passage light and round island lighthouse is on the tip of the sand bar on the bottom of the picture below Mackinac island

map
edited by Jim Johnson to shorten url

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion #188752 08/31/04 05:42 AM
LADYBUG Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
It's discriminatory to those supporters of HL and Lighthouses that don't happen to belong to a club that is recognized by HL as one that counts, in this instance.

I belong to a number of Lighthouse Socities that provide support to lighthouses but that counts for nothing in this instance.
Dennis,
I totally agree with you. I am a charter member of the Harbour Light's Collector Society and have been collecting HL's since their inception. I am one of the fortunate few who have the entire collection, all purchased at retail when they came out. I have been an active member of the Collector's Forum for a number of years now, work on numerous lighthouse preservation projects, volunteer my time at our local lighthouse, been to all three reunions, am a member of several lighthouse societies/clubs, etc. etc. I HOWEVER DO NOT BELONG TO A RECOGNIZED HARBOUR LIGHTS COLLECTOR CLUB because there is not one locally. So even though I have supported HL and lighthouse preservation activities since 1991, I have to take my chances and hope somehow my lucky stars are aligned just right on October 7th. Somehow this just does not seem fair. [Normally I do not sound off, but had to put my two cents worth in on this one.]
Darlene

Just noticed I finally reached SUPER WACKO status -- wonder which post put me over laugh

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion #188753 08/31/04 10:59 AM
bonnebert Offline
Suzanne,

That cruise sounds wonderful. Robert and I would like to do it, depending on what day it's arranged and we could be there by then.

First time in the Great Lakes, and we want to see as many lights as we can since we will be in the area.

Joyce

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion #188754 08/31/04 11:14 AM
Cana Fan Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Man, I don't know about this one. I'd love to go, but $1900.00, plus whatever my then 4 1/2 year old daughter will add to it, that makes it a tough nut to crack. Gotta think this one out hard.

Mike

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion #188755 08/31/04 11:21 AM
JJ Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
We will close this thread out at our usual 50 posts. To continue the discussion, please go to:
Part 2

Moderated by  JJ 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,328 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users