Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Monday Highlights... #188585 08/29/05 11:54 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Checking in at the Shepler Ferry dock in Mackinaw City was a breeze. Ruthie and Derith were there below a "Welcome Harbour Lights Collectors" banner to ease the way. Bags were unloaded by Shepler's crew and checked all the way to the hotel.

A ferry ticket and carriage ticket from the Mackinac Island dock to the hotel were provided.

Once on the island, we had a leisurely lunch then took the carriage taxi to the Mission Point where we were greeted by more 'helpers' in yellow reunion shirts.

We checked in for the reunion, picked up a packet of materials and checked into the hotel. We started with a short orientation 'scavenger hunt' to find the different venues for meetings and meals.

Bill, Nancy, Kim and Harry were in attendance either at the dock on Mackinac Island or the hotel to greet us.

After turning in our 'scavenger hunt' card showing we had successfully found the locations, we traded that for a goodie bag.

The key item in the goodie bag was the Wagoushance Mini -- showing the lighthouse in disrepair - the steel sheathing falling off.

(More later about the goodie bag and contents.)

6:30 p.m. - Reception
7:00 p.m. - Dinner after which Dick Moehle of GLLKA talked for a few minutes. He let slip that Harbour Lights will be releasing the USCGC Mackinaw next year (the old Mackinaw.)

While dinner was going on, Harry Hine introduce a couple who were sculptors of HLs and origination painters. And he announced they were going to produce a finished piece while the reunion went on -- Of Cheboygan Crip light. The sculpture had been blocked out, but needed to be detailed And anyone there had a chance to add to the sculpture.

More later.

Time is running out on this pay-to-use Internet connection in the hotel.

One thumbnail was passed out at dinner - Wagoshance. Tickers for 3 more are in the registration package.

Several clubs and organizations had tables in the 'Club Room'.

Cruises start tomorrow. Most of the WACKOs have selected the "red" group.

Dave got a great standing ovation led by Bill. The table centerpieces were given away -- and each table included at least one rare or unique HL. At our table, Bob Scroope won a Burroughs OREGON!!!

Wish you were all here. Fred made it OK and is doing well.

More tomorrow....

Re: Monday Highlights... #188586 08/30/05 09:44 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
John, I've been thinking about Stephanie and Joe Dingler since the hurricane struck. Have you met them and do you know if their home, and those of relatives is ok?

Re: Monday Highlights... #188587 08/31/05 02:06 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
Harbour Lights will be releasing the USCGC Mackinaw next year. Hot damn! Thats great news. Speaking of the icebreaker and its home base near Cheyboygan crib light ...

Y'all just wander back across the bridge and turn left then go a bit...

Re: Monday Highlights... #188588 09/02/05 12:39 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Sorry I was not able to keep up a daily post. I'm at a hotel in Sault Ste. Marie tonight.

The Reunion was just great. Dave did a great job and received lots of recognition -- including a gold plated version of Waugoshance -- one of a kind.

HL brought in a sculpture and painter from England to show exactly how a Harbour Lights was made from scratch. At the reunion they did a version of Cheboygan crib light -- which then became an item those at the reunion could order for delivery in a couple of months. A different version will be made and released to Society members later this year.

I have some photos of the special one-of-a-kind made at the reunion version which I'll post when I am home after this weekend.

I also have photos of the red version and white version of the Mackinaw. I'm a bit disappointed because it doesn't show the very wide beam of the Mackinac.

Re: Monday Highlights... #188589 09/02/05 12:41 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Yes, Mombo, Joe & Stephanie were at the reunion. I think they are OK and we heard nothing from them as to anyone else they knew that might have been in peril.

Re: Monday Highlights... #188590 09/05/05 10:32 AM
Digger Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
John, when can we see the photos of the Mackinaw??? You mention red & white. Are there going to be 2 versions avail.??

Re: Monday Highlights... #188591 09/05/05 12:29 PM
W
WisKeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
W
They had a model of a white Mackinaw and a model of a red Mackinaw at the reunion.

I did stop in Marinette on the way home and the new Mackinaw is still at the ship yards being worked on.

Mombo - Stephanie told me that her neighbors told her that her house was just missing a few shingles after the storm, but otherwise seemed OK.

Suzanne Murphy
President, Wisconsin Lighthouse District (WILD)
Re: Monday Highlights... #188592 09/05/05 01:28 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Quote:
Originally posted by Digger:
John, when can we see the photos of the Mackinaw??? You mention red & white. Are there going to be 2 versions avail.??

I think the ship rides too high in the ice and water -- making it look like it doesn't have as wide a beam as the real one.

I heard it might be available both ways, but didn't confirm it with anyone from HL.

Re: Monday Highlights... #188593 09/05/05 02:12 PM
AZlightkeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Red looks sharp!

Jim
Re: Monday Highlights... #188594 09/05/05 02:19 PM
Digger Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I agree John. It would have looked MUCH better if they had just lowered it a little. IMHO, this gives it the appearance of kids toy! After the good job they did with the George Cobb, I was expecting the Mackinaw to be outstanding. frown Of course I am only looking at a photo and I am anxious to see it in person.

Moderated by  JJ 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,012 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users