cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
What is a complete collection? #18835 11/12/98 08:15 AM
hcorey Offline OP
OP Offline
Many collectors talk about "going for it", obtaining a complete collection. I have talked to one or two who say they have "everything", except Coquille River. I didn't ask for their definition of "everything". I wonder if it includes all LEs, GLOWs, ornaments, spyglass series, reunion minatures, and oh yes, don't forget thumbnails? If you do include everything, then the maximum number of complete collections is limited to 480, the number of New Point Lomas reunion minatures. That is of course, if your complete collection doesn't include major variations, such as the Cape Hatteras original. If it includes flag errors, then there is even less, it is estimated there are only 200 Split Rock, MI. How about green water vs blue? On and on it goes. If you say you are only going to have one of each named liththouse produced by Harbour Lights, either LE or GLOW, the number of complete collections is limited to 950, the number of New Point Loma full size reunion piece. This piece, plus Coquille River will set you back several thousand dollars. I doubt if many beginning collectors take this into account when they decide "to go for it".

Then there is the horrifying fact that if my collection is to only include one of each named lighthouse, either LE or GLOW, and thousands is spent for a Coquille River, and it is later produced in a GLOW, how is that going to make me feel? May be the best way is to collect those llighthouses that can be gotten at retail in LE and obtain the rest as GLOWs. However, this would cost over $2,000.00 to obtain the 1998 LE and GLOW lighthouses. Anyone want to speculate how far the GLOW production will go?

Where do the spyglass sets fit into all this? All the spyglass items have been produced in other issues. Also, remember, Cape Hatteras is available in LE, GLOW, ornament, spyglass, and thumbnail. Someday, we may have five complete collections in the above mentioned categories. Oh, I forgot miniatures, how about six! If you only collected thumbnail size, you would never have a space problem in displaying the collection.

So what do you think makes a copmlete collection? Also, what do you think collectors mean when they say they are "going for it"? If they are not going for a complete collection, then why do so many buy a lighthouse just because it is retiring. I did it for a while, and I have lighthouses that I don't really care for. Some are very plain-Jane and I have heard the expression "butt ugly" used to describe others.

Lets keep the flame burning bright, but what is going to be the fuel? Also, I hope it doesn't get contaminated!

Re: What is a complete collection? #18836 11/12/98 09:11 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
An age old question... "What is a complete collection?" (Well since 1991, anyway.)

Time for Tim and others to put their Acronymical skills to work here?

ELITE - Every Lighthouse In The Entire (Line)

As HCorey suggests the categories

1. Every lighthouse ever issued
1a. Every lighthouse, pin, catalog, etc.?
2. Every lighthouse issued save Coquille & Original Hatteras, but including variations
3. Same as #2 but without every variation
4. Every limited edition made
4b. Every regular limited edition (no 5xx, 6xx or 7xx pieces)
5. Same as #5 without Coquille & Cape Hatteras
6. Every 'named' lighthouse - combination of Limiteds & GlOWS
7. Every GLOW (to heck with the Limiteds)
8. Every miniature?
9. Some selected subset such as Geographic Region, Christmas, LH with snow, LH where the seahorse is facing left, etc.

Other Categories?

Remember, now, we need to be able to refer to ourselves by the TYPE of collection we have! LOL. Extra credit if the order of magnitude of the collection is reflected by a glossary of acronyms that also escalates.

ie. KING, PRINCE, DUKE, HEIR, SUBJECT, SERF, etc.

Re: What is a complete collection? #18837 11/12/98 09:40 AM
R
Rod Watson Offline
Saint
Saint
R
This sounds like the ultimate "Tim" challenge.

Lets not forget the bewildered tourist catagory, those who have one HL in their collection, but have no clue who Harbour Lights are....Peasant? Micro-organism?

The list must ultimately include the "scrap" collectors category also: Those who collect anything and everything that has the HL name or logo on it including pencils and book markers! (who is stupid enough to do that? LOL)

Maybe a maritime theme for the names?

Head Lightkeeper, Assistant Lightkeeper...Landlubber, etc?
Admiral, Captain, Yeoman...Stowaway, etc?
1st Order Fresnel, 2nd Order Fresnel...Flashlight, Nightlight, etc?
Shark, Barracuda...Carp, Shrimp, Worm, etc?

-RodW
[This message has been edited by Rod Watson (edited 11-12-98).]

Re: What is a complete collection? #18838 11/12/98 09:26 AM
P
PamBrian Offline
P
As long as you're coming up with different categories, maybe you should give special consideration for the "power buyer".....those who bought the most in the least amount of time. This would probably be for the newer collector.

Either number of pieces accumulated or total dollars spent would be fine.

Brian

Re: What is a complete collection? #18839 11/12/98 10:08 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
OK you guys - you gave us a new revelation of just how obsessive we are. First of all, we will lay claim to the name "Power Buyers" - on two counts. Please note our surname! Secondly, your posting prompted us to look back in our files and we found that we had purchased 42 LE's within a period of 60 days. Eighteen were in Pennsylvania and 24 were in California. Most of them were retired's at much less than retail. Can anyone beat this? NEENER NEENER! lol

The "480" category in hcorey's post really shook us up as we aren't too awfully far from being one of those. All we need is to find that guy who thinks that ugly six sided lighthouse his aunt gave him for Christmas one year has got to go and buy it at his garage sale for two dollars. We need to purchase 10 Glows. Trade off some NPL and Rose Island pieces for Portland Head and Hatteras. And viola - we is a 480! Guess Pam the "Power Buyer" title isn't necessarily reserved for the new collector.

And here we are in the midst of selling it all off! Go figure!

[This message has been edited by Michael and Karen Power (edited 11-12-98).]

Re: What is a complete collection? #18840 11/12/98 04:31 PM
J
Julie L Offline
J
For us newbies, could you explain the significance of the "green water v. blue water"? And what about the "200 Split Rock, MI"? I have two of them--1 original and 1 commemorative stamp GLOW piece. Do I have something great here or did I misunderstand your post? heh,heh,heh.

Also, if you're interested in selling any pieces from your collection, do you just go by what others are charging or is there another way to determine the "going rate?" I read the post regarding 'Prices for Retired LE' which was very helpful, but I'm still wondering...?

Oh, and I purchased, I believe it was, 14 in one day! LOL How's that? Of course I only have 21 pieces, so I'm way behind in this category!

Thanks for your help!
Julie L.

Re: What is a complete collection? #18841 11/12/98 06:11 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
When I think of "going for it" I usually think of leaving the house and picking up something for supper. Although I have made a commitment to try to get them all, I know that will probably never happen. Instead I'll get all those that are available in stores, private secondary market sales, Ebay auctions, or whatever. As long as these pieces are reasonably priced I'll keep buying. When I run out of those in that price range, I will then start buying the more expensive ones that my budget may allow every couple or weeks or so. When it comes time to go for the real "biggies" I'll just go visit Fred and enjoy his! LOL

Re: What is a complete collection? #18842 11/12/98 07:02 PM
A
AlanBeckman Offline
A
My collection is complete when my checking account is completely empty and my credit card is completely maxed out. Of course my collection is incomplete when one of these two conditions are corrected.

Re: What is a complete collection? #18843 11/12/98 07:13 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
From Julie's post above:
Quote:
..could you explain the significance of the "green water v. blue water"? And what about the "200 Split Rock, MI"? I have two of them--1 original and 1 commemorative stamp GLOW piece.

Some of the 1992 issues started off with a greenish water, then HL changed and they became more blue water. These included Michigan City, Barnegat, Minot's Ledge, and New London Ledge. These are generally recognized as "variations". (Harbour Lights will call them "production modifications" when we get those pages up.) Some people collection such differences, others don't. Color differences can vary greatly in the early year pieces. It was just different painters working on them. It's just that in these cases of the green/blue water, HL ordered a change be made. That makes it significant. Other color changes ordered by HL - Round Island MI, Beavertail RI.

Split Rock MI is a flag error. The abbreviation for Minnesota is MN, the Englishman who did the sculpture thought it must be MI. After about 200-250 were made, the error was corrected. (There were a few made with another error before the additional stroke was added to make in MN. A flag error is, by nature, a mold change. These are more significant than color differences. And the fewer made, the more significant.

But my advise is, don't get caught up with variations. Enjoy building your collection. Only a very small number of WACKO collectors are into and can afford to spend thousands of dollars for a "Split Rock MI" or a "MULKILTEO". Now be aware of these -- just in case you spot one on the shelf at a local dealer.

As for 14 in one day -- not bad at all for someone who just started!!! You jumped right into the addicted group Julie! Welcome to HLA.

Re: What is a complete collection? #18844 11/13/98 06:49 PM
R
Rod Watson Offline
Saint
Saint
R
Check out my post on "How many total HL's have been made?" on the "Collecting Tips" Forum. Since it is just a bit of info, I thought I would make a new thread on how many there really are as a tip for those who were curious. Didn't want to sidetrack this thread, but it pertains to it. This may help (or confuse even more) what a total collection "could be or not could be"

-RodW
[This message has been edited by Rod Watson (edited 11-13-98).]

Re: What is a complete collection? #18845 11/18/98 07:26 PM
F
FredKuhl Offline
Saint
Saint
F
What constitutes a complete collection? (See Rod's post under Colecting Tips - How many have been made so Far?). Without worrying about the extreme........................

How about one of each issue number? Ignore mold changes, variations, color differences.

Mold changes? If you call the Cape Hatteras HL102 and HL102R separate numbers, then
there will be very few complete collections. If you classify them as the same then the elusiuve HL111 becomes the limiter.

As far as the extreme collection goes, GOOD LUCK! I'm sure there are variations out there that have not yet been discovered or never will be.

I'm happy with what I've got.
Fred

Oops, sorry about that. The mini NPL does become the limiter.

[This message has been edited by FredKuhl (edited 11-18-98).]

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Dave H), 1,324 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users