Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion-Part 2 #188063 08/31/04 11:16 AM
JJ Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
We will continue our discussion about the 2005 Reunion here. For part one of the discussion look here:
Part 1

The basic information on the reunion:
The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion will be held August 29th to September 1, 2005 on Mackinac Island, Michigan at a hotel other than the Grand Hotel. This reunion will be different than past reunions in that it will be planned by collectors in association with Younger and Associates. Our own Saint Dave Hannum will coordinate the reunion aided by other collectors including Patty Kaiser.

There will be two lighthouse viewing cruises, special activities, such as paint your own lighthouse, and lots of down time to explore the island and hang out with the other wackos.

Existing members of HL collectors clubs may pre-register through their clubs and by mail. These members will receive Reunion Exclusive numbers after the call in registrants, but may call in to improve their numbers. Call in registration will be Thursday October 7th, 2004 between 6AM to 12 Noon, Pacific time.

Prices are set by the number of adults in the room:
Cost for 1 adult will be $1250.00
Cost for 2 adults will be $1900.00
Cost for 3 adults will be $2600.00
Cost for 4 adults will be $3300.00

These costs will be broken into 3 payments with a deposit due at registration, a payment due on 1/15/05 and the final payment due on 5/15/05.

More details will follow and a FAQ page will be up at HarbourLights.com in the next few days.

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion-Part 2 #188064 08/31/04 11:36 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I think you'll be locking a few more threads re this topic, JJ. I'm sure it will reach the max of 50 posts, or so, quite often.

The pros and cons, the right or wrongs, the decided and undecided, the satisfied and unsatisfied, etc. will keep this going until the 2005 Reunion is history.

smile Bob smile

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion-Part 2 #188065 08/31/04 12:48 PM
Sunshine Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Hooray, We are having another reunion. I'll be going provided I get a slot. If not, I wish that everyone will have a great time and share their photos with everyone else.

If I remember correctly, my cost for the last reunion in Baltimore was approximately $1000 excluding airfare. I could have reduced the cost to $800 if I had had a roommate. Unfortunately, I didn't think of trying to find a roommate to help defray the costs. This time I'm going to save some by sharing a room.

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion-Part 2 #188066 08/31/04 01:28 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
The question has been,How much was the last reunion?
I didn't go
but I beleive it was $600 for single and $1100 for two.

DANIEL
Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion-Part 2 #188067 08/31/04 02:05 PM
R
rgurskey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
R
What will be the event exclusive piece? I'm sure no one knows except HL but I hope it isn't a repeat of ones in the area that have already been done. I vote for Bois Blanc Island lighthouse.

Yes it is expensive. I am debating whether to go since I visited the Mackinaw area in 1998. If the tours include Martin's Reef and DeTour Light, that would clinch it for me.

Robert

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion-Part 2 #188068 08/31/04 02:28 PM
RFoster Offline
Pam, MJ and I would be interested in the Apostles trip and others that may be in the making.

Just want to clarify this for Dennis and others who may not realize it. NELL is a Certified Harbour Lights Collectors Club.

We are looking forward to seeing you all at the Reunion 2005.

Ron & MJ
(CT Keepers)

Ron
(CT Keeper)
Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion-Part 2 #188069 08/31/04 02:45 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
The Brady's are penciling in the Apostles boat trip before the Reunion...

We would want to be able to make it to the Mackinac area on the Sunday night before the Reunion starts..

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion-Part 2 #188070 08/31/04 03:28 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
For those who were at the Baltimore Reunion, here's a memory jogger. For those who were not at that one, this will give you an idea of what happens at a Reunion.

Baltimore Reunion Report

I have reports on the other reunions and will post links to those in a few days.

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion-Part 2 #188071 08/31/04 04:26 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We (the Wagners) would also be very interested in an Apostles boat trip pre reunion on that Saturday or Sunday before.

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion-Part 2 #188072 08/31/04 04:54 PM
Kat Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Suzanne,
You can put Larry and I down for the Apostle Island trip too. We were talking about what lighthouses to see before and after the reunion. I would like to see the ones down the eastern coast of Michigan as well.
Would the Keweenaw Star and her captain be interested in doing this trip...if so we are a definite yes laugh

KAT {=*+*=}
Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion-Part 2 #188073 08/31/04 05:16 PM
Elmer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Carol & I are a definite "let us on board" for a Keweenaw Star cruise of the Apostles preferably before the Reunion, but if it's after we could work that in to. laugh laugh

As far as the Shepler cruises that would accompany the Reunion, it would be nice if the standard cruises could be expanded a little such that the east bound trip catch Martin Reef and Spectacle Reef. Detour Reef too, but that might be a little bit of a stretch. Cheboygan Crib light could be cut out as a time saver, if need be, as it is very easily walked up to on land.

Would like to see the standard westbound cruise additionally go to Ile Aux Galets and Naubinway Island if possible. Not sure how close you can get to these locations on a boat due to water level, shoals, etc., confused

Dan

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion-Part 2 #188074 08/31/04 05:20 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
We are interested in any pre and post activities including Apostles. So please keep us posted.
thanks,
Bob & MaryAnn

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion-Part 2 #188075 08/31/04 06:01 PM
W
WisKeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
W
I have started a new thread for people to post interest in going on an Apostle Island boat trip prior to the Reunion.

I am still working on this trip with the Keweenaw Star so details as to dates, etc. have not been worked out yet.

Apostle Island boat trip

edited by Jim Johnson to shorten url

Suzanne Murphy
President, Wisconsin Lighthouse District (WILD)
Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion-Part 2 #188076 08/31/04 06:55 PM
Bill and Judy Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
We are HL "groupies" and fans of Dave Hannum so we hope you don't take these questions as negative. We have been to all three reunions and thoughly enjoyed them. Of course the highlight to us is always getting to see the lighthouses. $1900 is a lot of money for "lots of down time to explore the island and hang out...". The tours and cruises have been great allowing time to see lighthouses as well as hang out with friends and meet new ones. Registration is another concern. We are trying to figure out how to pre-register through our club. Is the expectation that the club will pay all deposits? It seems much more logical to let individuals handle their own finances. Special activities such as painting our own lighthouse isn't something we would choose over photographing lighthouses. We really don't have much time to make the decision about the reunion so we were just hoping to get some more info ASAP. Thanks for any insights. Bill and Judy
P.S. Dave does a great job coordinating tours so we definitely have confidence in him!

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion-Part 2 #188077 08/31/04 08:36 PM
Elmer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Bill and Judy,

I'm pretty sure the two Shepler\'s cruises (Eastbound & Wesrbound) will be included in the events .... Dave H. will have to confirm that. smile smile

Dan

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion-Part 2 #188078 08/31/04 09:35 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Dan, I believe you are correct about it being the two Shepplers cruises, I am also guessing that 1/2 the group would take the westbound trip one day and eastbound the next. We took the westbound 2 summers ago (fantastic trip) but I don't think both trips are possible in one day for the same group.

And I don't think any clubs will be involved in any money handling. I think the clubs will be an avenue in which to pre-register thru.

This is only my opinion, so nobody comeback here nagging me if I am wrong (again)

BTW, The staff at the FSB may be having a hospitality suite at the grand hotel, if so, you will be instructed to go to a designated room, knock twice, slip a crisp $50.00 bill under the door, in return you will be given directions to another hotel room at the grand hotel, at no time are you to ask any questions or attempt to call the designated room, and remember formal attire only to gain admitance to the grand hotel.

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion-Part 2 #188079 08/31/04 09:53 PM
Twiggy Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Hello EveryOne
Well here goes my 2 cents worth confused

1. I understand that H.L. did subsidize the first
three reunions. To me, that means they did not
make a profit from them, tho I realize that
the raffle money went to certain lighthouses.

2. What I'm wondering, with the high cost of this
Reunion, is anyone making a profit ( not a
comp'ed room or free boat trip), but profit in
their pocket??

3. If this is a Reunion for Collectors BY
Collectors, and there is a profit made, is it
going to a lighthouse(s). If so which
lighthouse(s), and is all the profit going
to the lighthouse(s)

4. Also if this is BY Collectors why was it kept
so secret, without any in put from most
collectors, before all the arrangements were
made.

These are just a few of the questions that
have passed through my mind since the post
was made. I still have not made up my mind
if I'm going or not, but the answers to these
question will have a bearing.

6 And with this post I now have become a
Wacko smile smile smile I Think confused

Twiggy
Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion-Part 2 #188080 08/31/04 10:19 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Twiggy,

Maybe you have always been wacko, but it took until today to be officially recognized.

Bob

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion-Part 2 #188081 09/01/04 12:00 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Daniel, the cost of the Baltimore reunion was way more than $600 single. I think Sunshine's prices are closer to the actual cost but at this point I don't have that info anymore. I wasn't aware that HL subsidized previous reunions, other than costs associated with the planning, set-up, etc. so given that, maybe without HL's contribution this time the costs of this one isn't that much more than the last one? I don't believe that reunions have ever been cheap.

The location sounds nice but unless you're driving or can take extra time before and/or after the actual reunion it's not an easy in/easy out kind of place.

I've been thinking some about the registration process as far as rewarding the members of HL clubs to preregister. I don't think anyone is trying to discriminate against anyone here who doesn't belong to a club, just reward those who do. It seems a bit unrealistic for HL or others involved in the reunion planning to be able to single out those individuals who belong to other lighthouse preservation groups in order to offer them the same option. It certainly does not mean that their efforts are not appreciated.

I know that many folks here have joined HL clubs even though they don't live anywhere near the area involved. Many have joined multiple clubs just to offer a bit of support. In most cases you can join a club for $15 or so. Since the practice of allowing HL clubs to preregister was allowed last time it would seem that $15 would have been a pretty reasonable "insurance policy" should the same practice be allowed again.

Then again, if we subtract the number of club members from the number of active posters here, there probably wouldn't be all that many left who could have been offered preregistration. Most all wackos who have attented reunions, regionals and other HL events have always pitched in to help out with anything that needed doing.

Just a few thoughts, I'll go away now.....

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion-Part 2 #188082 09/01/04 12:54 AM
Tom and Joyce Abbott Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I never throw anything away, so I knew I still had the confirmations for the past reunions. Found them in the first HL storage box I opened.
These costs are for two adults and do not include transportation costs to and from the reunions.

San Diego 7/97 $953.82
(Purchase of event pieces brought the total up to $1233.82)

Providence 10/98 $790.00
(Purchase of event pieces & extra night lodging brought the total up to $1004.00.)

Baltimore 10/01 $1061
(Purchase of event pieces & extra night lodging brought the total up to $1795.00.)

Tom & Joyce
Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion-Part 2 #188083 09/01/04 01:55 AM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Tom and Joyce,

You two are a wealth of information. THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH FOR THE INFORMATION.

I never throw anything away either. It's just that I can't find it at any particular moment.

Bob

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion-Part 2 #188084 09/01/04 01:55 AM
AZlightkeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
OK, so what's the reunion piece? laugh
I'm guessing it one from the cruises, that has not already been done.....

Jim
Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion-Part 2 #188085 09/01/04 02:50 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
In response to the questions you raised Twiggy:

Quote:
1 I understand that H.L. did subsidize the first three reunion. To me that means they did not make a profit from them, tho I realize that the raffle money went to certain lighthouses.

I'm not privy to the finances of Younger & Associates. But I have been to all the reunions. It was always a topic of dicussion at each about how MUCH we were getting for the cost of the event. And that was not including the staff time. I know for a fact that the New Point Lomas were airshipped from China to arrive just in time. I know that the map of lighthouse locations was rush printed and delivered the night before they were given away. Bill stayed up late that night signing them all.

Did Harbour Lights 'profit' from holding the reunion? I can imagine that they 'benefitted' from the Reunions by cementing the relationship those of us had with the Younger Family and Harbour Lights. But I cannot imagine that any money went into the Harbour Lights bank account from the money we paid to attend.

Quote:
2 What I'm wondering, with the high cost of this Reunion, is anyone making a profit (not a comp'ed room or free boat trip), but profit in
their pocket??
The Mission Point Resort, Sheplers, the fudge shops on main street will all be making a profit. The kid at the bike rental stand at Mission Point will probably be paid for the time he or she is working there and may get some tips. The horse-drawn taxi along main street will charge you a fee and, hopefully, will profit. And Dave, whose spent many hours and will be spending many, many more, will earn money from the event.

Dave's neck is out there. He's figured out all the costs for us to sleep in a nice, clean room, eat your fill three times a day, receive goodies every once in a while, get you over to Mackinac Island on the Ferry, hire Sheplers to transport you to view lighthouses, etc, etc. And, if he's done his math right, and the costs don't go up, he'll get paid for the time and expenses of his efforts.

Does his hiring as a contractor to setup, plan and manage this Reunion make it not an 'official' event?

Is the www.HarbourLights.com site the official site? I've been operating it since August, 1998 (Happy 6 years as of August 8th!). I'm paid by Harbour Lights, but I'm not an employee.

Quote:
3 If this is a Reunion for Collectors BY Collectors. And there is a profit made is it going to a lighthouse(s). And if so which lighthouse(s), and is all the profit going to the lighthouse(s)
This is a Reunion for Collectors By Collectors. Nobody said the profit [from the event] is going to a lighthouse... There have always been auctions and opportunity drawings and the money raised from these HAS benefitted lighthouses.

For more about the 'BY Collectors' see comments after this question:

Quote:
4 Also if this is BY Collectors why was it kept so secret, without any input from most collectors. Before all the arrangements were made.
Harbour Lights has ALWAYS tried to keep the plans for Reunions 'secret' until they were ready to announce them. That doesn't mean they didn't have an input from most collectors. They have had input in the way of post-reunion surveys for all three of the previous ones. They have asked for and gotten input on reunions.

And you are right now, reading one of their best sources of feedback on what collectors want to do and where they want to go for the reunions.

These Collector Forums have been around since 1996 and Reunions have been topics of discussions as soon as the 1997 one was announced right up to and including this thread about the 2005 one.

Quote:
5 These are just a few of the questions that have passed through my mind since the post was made. I still have not made up my mind if I'm going or not, but the answers to these question will have a bearing.
My responses have been intended only to answer the questions asked and the ones that you seemed to be asking as well.

You should attend. You've been a part of the experience at the past ones and you'll be missed if you're not at the 2005 one.

Quote:
6 And with this post I now have become a Wacko, I Think
Twiggy -- I've ALWAYS know you were a WACKO. But now we can make it OFFICIAL! Congratulations and Welcome to the group.

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion-Part 2 #188086 09/01/04 08:10 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
A very informative reply, JC. It's good that the "phone-in" isn't until next month. That will give most everyone a chance to digest the information provided throughout the 2005 Collector's Family Reunion threads.

I'm sure there will be more inquiries made and answers provided. The anticipation of the original announcement has left a good part of the crowd scrambling to figure out exactly what they are going to do.

We know where it is. We know what it's going to cost to be there. Now future attendees need to figure out the amount of time they will need to participate in the event so they don't arrive at the starting gun and run out the door as the final curtain falls. They will also have to figure the total expenses beyond the fee to participate at the island.

Another point to be pondered will be the number of people who will be able to attend. Accommodations are somewhat limited compared to the last reunion. If Official Lighthouse Clubs are shown a preference with a pre-registration, and the members of these clubs take up the majority of the spots, what will be left for the "phone-in" people?

I applaud Dave and his crew for all the work in planning this gala event. I feel they will easily reach their goal of maximum capacity and everyone attending will come away with memories to last a lifetime.

My only concern will be for those people who really want to be there but won't be able to successfully obtain a spot at the reunion. There are many faithful members of the HL Collector's Society that don't belong to an official club thus eliminating them from pre-registering. There are many members who will not be fortunate enough to get through by phone to secure a spot before it's sold out. What can be done to make sure we don't lose them as a connected collector?

Will there be some sort of package offered to non-attendees that can at least bring some sort of reunion experience to them without them being there? Could the pieces offered for sale at the reunion and given to attendees be offered to who ever wants them at a reasonable cost? Perhaps a slight variation of flag#'s or something similar would be appropriate but at least the non-attendees would have something to lift their Harbour Lights spirit.

Any thoughts on this point?

confused Bob confused

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion-Part 2 #188087 09/01/04 10:35 AM
W
WisKeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
W
I know this has been mentioned before, but once again why is belonging or not belonging to a club such a problem? Our club dues are $15.00 a year for an individual and $20.00 for a family. Our club has many members from many states, not just Wisconsin. I know several of these members also belong to other clubs, so they have several choices as to which club they will register for the reunion under.

Our club and many other clubs have donated free labor to HL for many events, regionals, reunions, etc. At several regionals our club spent a great deal of time helping HL unpack large boxes, set up, run registration tables, run games, etc. etc. At the Navy Pier Regional, Pam and I spent 80% of the event at the registration table and were not able to participate in the games in which everyone else was winning numerous Little Lights of Mine. We went through the food lines last and sat and ate at the tables in the hall outside the main room where the speakers were. I know many clubs also provided free labor for HL at past Reunion events. I guess many people have never noticed the sacrifices that many of these clubs have made at these events.

Suzanne Murphy
President, Wisconsin Lighthouse District (WILD)
Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion-Part 2 #188088 09/01/04 11:53 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
Our club and many other clubs have donated free labor to HL for many events, regionals, reunions, etc. At several regionals our club spent a great deal of time helping HL unpack large boxes, set up, run registration tables, run games, etc. etc.
Hi Suzanne,...Kudos are in order for all the volunteers who give so much of their free time to support the cause. I'm sure in most every case, it's a labor of love. That's what keeps the bond between Harbour Lights and the faithful, so strong. It's a willingness to pitch in and give of yourself so all can enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Some people choose not to join a club for whatever reason. It certainly can't be the money because most clubs only require a minimum amount of cash to join and participate. Maybe others feel their lives are too busy to participate in functions supported by the club so they cannot justify belonging to a club. Even though they choose not to join a club, they still expect to enjoy all the benefits provided via their Collector Society membership at any events sanctioned by Harbour Lights.

Volunteers who work hard for the cause definitely should be shown preference, in my opinion. Unfortunately, not everyone shares the same opinion. When push comes to shove such as limited availibilty of spots at the 2005 Reunion, everybody wants the equal opportunity to attend. Showing preference to HL clubs, via pre-registration, just doesn't sit right with some individuals. They feel people are buying the right to be guaranteed a spot by just paying their $25 or so, and maybe never volunteering for anything.

So what do you do? Dave and crew have worked very hard to plan an event that may have never happend if it wasn't for their efforts. They did it because they really care, and that's the most important thing. Many volunteers from various clubs have worked hard at lighthouse projects and other functions that are HL related. They feel they've earned the right of first refusal for the 2005 Reunion. Now comes the party of the second part and so on, and so on. I seriously don't know the answer that may very well shed some negative light on a very positive event.

:rolleyes: Bob :rolleyes:

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion-Part 2 #188089 09/01/04 12:20 PM
R
RMau Offline
Wacko
Wacko
R
I echo all the 'kudos' for Dave and the others who have put this event together. It has all the makings of a grand lighthousing event for those who are able to attend.

One thing this is not however, is a Harbour Lights or Younger & Associates sponsored Collector's Reunion. It is a HL Collector's sponsored and organized event. As such, the preferential treatment of HL collector club membership cannot be an expression of gratitude or appreciation on the part of HLs or Y&A for club 'assistance' at HL or Y&A events. It's not their party.

The HL collector organizers of Reunion 2005 chose to give a benefit for membership in a bonafide HL Collector Club. That's fine. It is their party. Where I think the process is slanted too far in favor of club membership is the double dip that is in the rules.

Club members get not only to pre-register and skip registration roulette, they get to tie up the phone lines and operators on registration day trying to get a lower edition number on their Reunion piece. That means more busy signals for the rest of who are just hoping to score a seat on the tour boat.

So, I'd like to make a request. If you are a club member and you exercise your right to pre-registration, please stay off the phones on the 7th and let the rest of us have as much opportunity to get through as possible. If you really need that low number event piece, strike up a conversation with other collectors and work out a trade for what you'd like to have.

Good luck everyone!
Rick

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion-Part 2 #188090 09/01/04 12:24 PM
Rrronne Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Well, I guess I will now put in my two cents worth and then get torn apart for it.

It has been stated with in this thread that a person should join a club so one would be able to pre-register for a reunion.

First, perhaps there is no club in the area where I live. I would have to join a club whose events I would not be able to attend. Part of the enjoyment of belonging to a club is the interaction and involvment with the other club members. I would not feel right morally to belong to a club without being able to be a part of its activities and to help with events, etc. With the Colorado LH Club just forming this summer, We now
have a club in our area. My wife and I may join in the future, but don't require me to join just to get a prefered place in line for an event.

Second, WHY does belonging to a club make one HL collector more important than another? If someone donated $20 million to preserve lighthouses but did not do it as a part of a club, would he or she be any less a supporter of LH preservation than any of the rest of us individual collectors who don't belong to a club. My wife and I regularly take part in all the clubs various fund raising efforts that are posted in the forums. Since we do not belong to a club, does that diminish our efforts?

Third, Don't the clubs already enjoy benefits of their recognized affliation with HL. Doesn't HL donated prizes for the fund raising efforts? Don't the Youngers speak at club meeting when it fits into their travel schedules? I have never had the privledge to hear Bill speak outside of the reunions. At best it has been a short conversation at an in-store event. These are benefits the clubs get that non-club members dont.

I will state here and now that I think the clubs to great things in their areas and are making a difference in preserving our lighthouses.

However, we all started out as and still are HL collectors. It was our desire to purchase the qualtiy products created by HL that allowed the company to grow and for the clubs to come together because of that common ground. To now treat some collectors differently than others just because they belong to a club is not right.
We all support HL. We all support lighthouses. We should all be treated the same way.

My wife and I won't be attending this reunion after attending the last two. We are also cutting back on our HL purchaes. This is for two reasons. One is strickly economics. We are both suffering some health problems and need to put extra money aside to help in our care. Second, we are both somewhat disillusioned and sad. We feel like "second class" collectors because we dont belong to a club or live near lighthouses. We don't seem to be as important to HL as club members. We were enthusiastic collectors when we started in 1997. Our meeting Bill at a instore event that year solidified that feeling. Now, we don't even feel like we are part of the family anymore.

In closing, I want to wish everyone that is able to attend the reunion a wonderful time. I am sure it will be great fun. I also want to give a great job and thanks To Dave H. and everyone involved in getting this reuion setup. It is a lot of work and I am sure it will be well done.

Randall Ronne
President - Colorado Lighthouse Collectors Society
New Dungeness Light Station Association
Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion-Part 2 #188091 09/01/04 01:40 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I must say the last two posts directly above this reply are outstanding!

Quote:
Club members get not only to pre-register and skip registration roulette, they get to tie up the phone lines and operators on registration day trying to get a lower edition number on their Reunion piece. That means more busy signals for the rest of who are just hoping to score a seat on the tour boat.

So, I'd like to make a request. If you are a club member and you exercise your right to pre-registration, please stay off the phones on the 7th and let the rest of us have as much opportunity to get through as possible. If you really need that low number event piece, strike up a conversation with other collectors and work out a trade for what you'd like to have.
Rick, ...That is an absolutely fabulous suggestion!

Quote:
However, we all started out as and still are HL collectors. It was our desire to purchase the qualtiy products created by HL that allowed the company to grow and for the clubs to come together because of that common ground. To now treat some collectors differently than others just because they belong to a club is not right.
We all support HL. We all support lighthouses. We should all be treated the same way.
"No more truer words were ever spoken..."

Randall, I have to state I 100% agree with you on that point.

smile Bob smile

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion-Part 2 #188092 09/01/04 01:45 PM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Randall...I hope you don't mind me giving my 2 cents back to you.

First of all, Utah and Colorado are obviously the same without any lighthouses nearby. However, I think we are by far in a worse situation than you are with lack of HL store events or collector clubs. The only time there has been a store event in Utah was in July of 1997. That was the first time I met Bill Younger, right before I went to the San Diego Reunion. Colorado seems to have store events every year. Utah is down to only 1 store that sells LE and there is not any collector club that I know of.

Secondly, what difference does it make if you join any club outside of Colorado? I joined up with the Desert Lightkeepers out of Arizona. I have not been to one meeting. However, I will try to support the club in different ways. I offered to donate 3 lighthouses for the raffle for the Point Sur prism. This is a win-win for me. I feel good about donating and someone else will win a prize.

Finally, I have made some outstanding friends by attending reunions or regional gatherings. None of these people live in my area but I am always glad to be able to hook up with them. If you read the forums you will see different trips offered to participate in that are not HL events.

BTW...I have been to all 3 reunions and have never had a priority pre-registration. I just did it by calling in and having my family help me with using extra phones.

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion-Part 2 #188093 09/01/04 01:48 PM
K
keeperpam2 Offline
Wacko
Wacko
K
Perhaps after the Apostle Islands cruise, those that feel they are treated unfair in the reunion sign-up, could join me in a trip to Honolulu instead of the reunion........anyway.....

I really don't see that there is going to be a problem signing up for the reunion, club affliated or not, so I honestly think this discussion is a mute point.

And no, I am not on the planning committee....

Just the facts.

Edited....just because :rolleyes:

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion-Part 2 #188094 09/01/04 03:07 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Suzanne,

I have chosen (at least I thought I had chosen- it appears I've joined some by accident)) to not join any HL Collectors Clubs and to concentrate my efforts in Lighthouse Organizations that I would be able to at least occasionally participate at the meetings, events, etc.

I recognize the efforts of the other volunteers at the various HL functions I've been to and applaud them. I thought though they were doing it because it made them feel good, helped a cause they were interesterd in and fostered freindships between them and others doing the same thing or interested in Lighthouses.

I wasn't aware they did it to get special consideration at certain times.

I don't want my only contribution to be monetary. I've volunteered at some HL Regionals and I've done more volunteering through the various organizations that I belong to. I've had to curtail some in the past due to medical situations that came up.

Your point about the volunteers at HL Events not having time to participate in the events is well taken- but at every event I've been to there have been several groups that were not HL Collectors Groups doing the very same thing. I was representing the HLCF Wacko Pin at the Florida Regional earlier this year and I got a chance to walk around a bit only because Esther was willing to sit there and attempt to answer questions for a few minutes.

I agree with Rick's suggestion- if you do get preregistered please don't tie up the lines for those who may have limited time at work, etc to get through and get one of the who know's how many spots left.

Sorry to ramble on and on on this issue- different aspects keep popping up and need to be addressed.

Dennis

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion-Part 2 #188095 09/01/04 03:35 PM
Rrronne Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Lorie,
I appreciate your statements and understand them. We have been to the last two reuions and registered for both via call-in. We had great times at both and met great people. It would be great to see them again at this reunion or other events. I would love to see John C. and Paul B. again.

However, it does not change the basic point that if you choose to not belong to a club, you are not in the same league as club members.
If we all support the same thing, why are some treated differently than others. That is all I am saying.

Thanks to everyone for letting me share my thoughts and opinions. With this post, I will move to the sidelines and abstain from further discussion. Voicing my opinion here and having to make "negative" statements about this makes me feel ill. I love HL, lighthouses, and the members of this forum to much to continue.

Randall Ronne
President - Colorado Lighthouse Collectors Society
New Dungeness Light Station Association
Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion-Part 2 #188096 09/01/04 04:13 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I feel the need to make some comments after Randall's last post.

I don't want my only contribution to this discussion to be of the negative variety. I may disagree with some aspects of it but by and large I'm a big supporter of this Reunion in general.

Let's look at the positives here- I don't have hard numbers but I'd say that if there was any clear favorite (and fair choice) for this Reunion it was definitely for a Reunion in the Great Lakes Region.- DONE

We wanted a place that had easy access to many Lighthouses for Wackos to visit- before, during and after the Reunion- DONE, DONE AND DONE

We wanted a class , quality place to meet and enjoy each other's company and the Lighthouses- both real and of the HL variety. DONE.

We wanted to be able to meet with our personal friends easily outside of the planned activities. DONE

We wanted it to be free- well at least real cheap, er economical. Done in such a way as to make the other things listed above possible.

This Reunion was talked and talked about here on the list for literally years. In the past few months the spot for it became less a rumour and more a reality.

Is it possible to have planned this specific Reunion someplace else in the Mackinac area? Yes but probably not with all the most important points covered.

Could people have been put up in several properties- maybe but that would increase the difficullty of some of the logistics and people would ahve not always been assigned to the same hotel as the friends they want to be near.

If a place didn't have enough rooms for the number of people involved it's probable that they didn't have the size needed for all of us to meet in one place at the same time.

I could go on, but I won't.

To summarize- while there are some aspects of the Reunion that don't quite thrill me and may keep me from getting there I think that Dave and his assistants (as yet mostly unnamed)have done a commendable job in balancing all the needs and wants with the possibles and have created a winner.

Dennis

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion-Part 2 #188097 09/01/04 09:13 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
From a person that right from the first said because of the cost I wouldn't be going, I must add my additional 2 cents worth.

Dave and the unknown helpers are doing the best job they can to make this a once of a lifetime event up in the Great Lakes area. Everybody that wanted the reunion up there was aware of the costs and now must make a choice: either go and pay up or don't go and save money.

I've planned get togethers in the past and from experience I know you can't please everybody. Dave and his group deserve a "high five" for just taking on the job knowing this. As far as registering through a club or calling in, if your meant to go then you will get thru and be confirmed. Everytbody has had a chance to join a club before this and if you haven't joined one, then so be it. I wish all that can attend a good time and while I'm fishing in my new boat I'll be thinking about you all. Of course, after Hurricane Frances, I may have to use my money to renovate my house.

Just my thoughts on this whole subject.

Rich
Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion-Part 2 #188098 09/01/04 09:50 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Rich,

If I ever get to Florida, will you take me fishing on your new boat? Then I can tell you all about the wonderful time we all had at the Reunion. I'm sorry that you have elected not to attend. But all of us must keep our priorities straight.

Bob

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion-Part 2 #188099 09/01/04 11:51 PM
Gebby Offline
Folks, I'm going.

We all have complained about when the next reunion is going to be and when finally announced it's all negative. Now you know why there isn't a reunion every year or two. It costs too much money to do it.

I belong to a Harbour Lights Club and I will be pre-registered as I was for Baltimore. I really don't think this is going to matter much anyway.

I think the cost will be too much for the borderline collectors and I feel the real connected collectors will be the ones calling in and trying to go.

I like the idea of a smaller reunion anyway. Baltimore was great but way too many people. In my opinion, the smaller events are better. So a smaller reunion should be wonderful.

Just suck it up folks! Fork it out! Dave Hannum is planning it. It will probably be the best reunion yet.

See you there!

laugh Ken laugh

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion-Part 2 #188100 09/02/04 02:28 AM
Larry R Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by GebbyK:
[QB] I think the cost will be too much for the borderline collectors and I feel the real connected collectors will be the ones calling in and trying to go.
OUCH!

While clearly this is not personal, I was shocked by the comment. WE are borderline collectors. WE attend club events, buy as many pieces as we can and support our local "club" store. Truly we are connected. What we aren't able to do, is fork out $700 on a couple weeks notice to go. Do I want to go and see all those people I can't see on a regular basis, absolutely. Am I going, unfortunately no. Decisions have to be made now, and until sometime between payments 2 and 3 will I be able to figure out if I can get the vacation time from work.

I've been to the island before, I'll see my friends again, and if the piece is really hot, I'll wait until someone sells it on EBAY laugh

Don't make this personal, Dave will do a splendid job for all those who go. We can't always have evveryting, I've accepted it, and I'm moving on. The Packers march to the Super Bowl starts in 12 days and I'm happy with that.

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion-Part 2 #188101 09/02/04 09:04 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
We all have complained about when the next reunion is going to be and when finally announced it's all negative. Now you know why there isn't a reunion every year or two. It costs too much money to do it.
Ken, ...I don't agree with you on those points. We all anxiously waited for a reunion announcement and now it is a reality. Although there have been expressions of frustration as to the cost and timing of the event, not everything stated can be classified as negative.

If a person is going to attend, he and/or she better be prepared to spend more money than the actual costs listed for the reunion. Such things as airfare, car rentals, accommodations before and after the reunion, beverages not covered in the reunion package, raffles, charity auctions, merchandise that may be purchased at the reunion, etc. There will be a lot of things that won't be covered by the cost of the reunion package.

Can everyone afford it? I guess that depends on where your finances are in life. It also depends on how badly you want to go and what you are willing to sacrifice to be there.

The cost of the reunion is no worse than renting a cottage for a week near the water on Cape Cod or maybe on Martha's Vineyard. They can easily go $2000 a week or a little less if you're willing to jump into your car to go to the beach.

Vacations can cost big bucks, but many people are willing to spend it. People reach into there wallets and pull out $3000 just to fly off to some island and spend some quality time in the sun sipping on tropical cocktails at $10 a pop, just so they can say, "It doesn't get any better than this!"

If there was a reunion every two years, they would still be sold out. It amazes me what lengths people will go to to attend these type of HL functions. Look at the Regionals and how many attend them. Some faithful followers attend them all. When there were four regionals in one year in different parts of the country, just imagine what it cost to fly to all four. This year there were only two regionals but if I wanted to attend the both of them, it would have cost me a lot more than it will to attend the 2005 Reunion.

You're paying for entertainment. You're paying for the wonderful lasting memories that come from this large social gathering. Don't wait until too late in life to have fun. I don't advocate taking food out of the mouths of your family or telling little Johnny he can't attend college this year because we are spending part of the tuition on a reunion. What I'm saying is most people spend close to the reunion cost to just go on vacation. Set your priorities, work it out financially, and go where you want to go and do what you want to do (anyone else start singing with the Mamas & the Papas?).

I'm really beginning to like this topic. It seems people are coming out of the woodwork to speak their mind. It is exactly what this forum needs!

smile Bob smile

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion-Part 2 #188102 09/02/04 11:57 AM
bonnebert Offline
Bob, I agree with you. The reunion is going to be out "big" vacation for 2005. Robert does not like to fly, so we are driving from Virginia, and plan to leave early enough so we can lighthouse on the way to Mackinac Island. We have never been to that part of the states, and are really looking forward to travelling there.

Yes, you can rent a condo in Ocean City, Md. for $2000+ per week, then you have to buy food on top of that.

As stated previously, we enjoyed the Baltimore reunion so much, we decided we were going to go to the next one and started putting money away for it so it would not hit us at one time. We have another year to accummulate more funds. And, after this one, we will start saving for the next one. Rich, maybe it will be in Florida. Hope Frances doesn't do you in too bad. But, right now, it look like it's going to be devastating. My prayers for the Florida residents.

Joyce

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion-Part 2 #188103 09/02/04 12:29 PM
Bill and Judy Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Well said, Bob. It's about choices and of course being able to afford it. I have planned conferences over the years before I retired and know that no matter what one does, you never will please everyone. You have to do what you think the majority wants and go from there. That is what Dave has done thanks to lots of input from this forum. We are excited about the reunion and plan to see lights on the way to and from the event. As far as the club priority business, many of us won't be calling in on Oct. 7th so those who choose not to join a club can get through. We did not have a club until this year but we have been members of NELL, TBHLCC, OBLHS, Chesapeake Chapter, and others. We discovered them at one of the reunions and have thoughly enjoyed meeting so many great people and once in a while participating in their events. The best thing is contributing towards lighthouse preservation. Fortunately the membership hasn't been a burden for us and the benefits far outweigh the costs. Our Colorado club is only $10 for members but we still plan to keep up our membership in the other clubs. I guess that is why we are called "Lighthouse Groupies"!
Judy & Bill

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion-Part 2 #188104 09/02/04 06:29 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I would LOVE to go to this reunion. however, unfortunately, there are several things blocking my way.

First, I can't go alone or with one other person like all you lucky people can. I have to bring my entire "staff" of family. So now we have costs for four people. But my younger brother wouldn't want to attend reunion festivities, so do we have to pay for him too? And he'd need to have one parent with him always, and one with me, so now we have to split the time between parents. This is just asking for it.

I don't like to fly. Besides, flight would be expensive. I can't calculate fares more than a year in advance, but they look to be average/person of $250, so with four people, that's $1000 right there. Driving would be, with an estimated inflation rate of 10 cents in gas prices in the next year, $1290 to gas up our Rover both ways, without stopping to see lights along the way, which we would obviously do. Plus add 2-3 nights for lodging on the road, and even if we use HHonors points for one or two, we still are paying $300 for hotels. So just to drive would be $1590..not much better.

So when you add the costs of the reunion for 3 people (being safe on the age thing for me), itself to this, you are spending $4190 at least.

$4190 is not in our budget for lighthousing. Plus, this would be our OBX week. We are trying to go for two next year, something we have talked about but never done. If we did this and still went for one, then our summer vacations total $7000 (including food, etc. on the OBX). We just can't do that.

So, I have to say, I'll not be seeing you in Mackinac. frown Maybe the next reunion, if it is in the area. Hey, I missed out. Two in a row in the Northeast... :rolleyes:

I hope, however, that all who do go come back with lots and lots and lots of stories and photos. smile

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion-Part 2 #188105 09/03/04 09:14 AM
F
FredKuhl Offline
Saint
Saint
F
Gas up the suburban.

Load up the Oxygen.

Lay in a couple of months supply of pills (Oops, rent a trailer?)

Set up a track the Ancient Mariner Daily check-in log.

Hope I can still breathe well enough to make it over the Sierra And the Rockies.

Hey guys! the Good Lord willin' and the creeks don't rise, I'll see you there.

Thanks Dave and Patty (and whoever), we're having a reunion at one of the great lighthouse areas and resorts. We're also having it before 2027 as Bill Y. committed to at the Baltimore reunion.

To my old friends who will be there: looking forward to seeing you all again.
To my old friends who will not be there: just maybe there will be a next time.
To any new friends that I hope to make: looking forward to it.

Everybody, stop carping and let's look forward to having a Good (no, GREAT) time with one of the greatest goup of Saints, WACKOs, Newbies, and just plain people ever assembled.

Dave, Patty, anything I can do to help.
The spirit is willing.

The (not so) Ancient Mariner

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion-Part 2 #188106 09/03/04 09:24 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Well stated, Fred!!! You are an inspiration to us all!

Your old buddy on the east coast,

smile Bob smile

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion-Part 2 #188107 09/03/04 01:03 PM
ktamlin Offline
For those who think the price of the reunion is high check out the link below.

http://www.countrytours.com/Tours_US/MAC/tourDetail.asp?RefURL=&KeyCode=&tdate=&PMCode=&OrgURL=

This is just a comparison, but it is food for thought.
Edited by Jim Johnson to try and shorten url
--------------------
John & Karen

John & Karen
Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion-Part 2 #188108 09/04/04 02:28 AM
K
keeperpam2 Offline
Wacko
Wacko
K
From your link John, it sounds like we get more bang for the buck by not going on the reunion trip! Five days versus two, and transportation included.

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion-Part 2 #188109 09/04/04 10:25 AM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Pam,

It looks pretty comparable to me- it's $300 more for the 5 day tour which includes transportation but if account for the cost of the rooms (which seem to be $88 a night) for the other two nights and the cost of the transportation which could be about $100 Dave's trip comes out on top.(if you factor in the 2 long Lighthouse cruises and the other little added items at the hotel)

Botom line it isn't cheap to visit this little island paradise. I think this comparison shows that Dave did us well.

Dennis

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion-Part 2 #188110 09/04/04 01:00 PM
DMancini Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill and Judy:
Well said, Bob. It's about choices and of course being able to afford it. I have planned conferences over the years before I retired and know that no matter what one does, you never will please everyone. You have to do what you think the majority wants and go from there. That is what Dave has done thanks to lots of input from this forum.
I agree completely. No matter what you do, SOMEONE will be unhappy (trust me, I know from experience). I'm sure Dave et al. are looking at all the options and selects which will work best for the largest number of people. That is all someone who undertakes such a large event can do.

So, each person will need to weigh their options and decide if the package that has been put together will work best for THEM. If not, then you can choose not to go. If yes, then go and enjoy yourself!

I'm disappointed that I can't go due to pretty much nothing but timing, but I'm excited to hear the reports and photos from those that do. I'll have to live vicariously thru those of you who go!

laugh

Diane
Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion-Part 2 #188111 09/10/04 10:12 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
It's been almost a week without a post in this thread. I thought there would be a lot more chatter going on. Maybe it's time for a projected itinerary to be posted to get the chatter juices flowing.

cool Bob cool

Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion-Part 2 #188112 09/10/04 11:36 AM
C
CanaLover Offline
C
$1900.00 for 3 nights!! eek As much of a lighthouse lover I am, and as much as I would like to go, we can not afford that price. The cost would be much higher with tavel expences for us to get there. I wish there was an alteritive for those who can not afford to stay on the island. It sounds like it is going to be a wondrful time. Great work so far DH and staff that is putting this together.

Jessie
Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion-Part 2 #188113 09/10/04 12:49 PM
MelJB Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I was thinking the prices were fairly reasonable, did I misunderstand something? I thought I read that this price was inclusive, so it includes the hotel room, 2 boat trips, and all meals right? I just need to add in the expense of the airline ticket and transportation from the airport? confused

Melody
Re: The 2005 Collectors Family Reunion-Part 2 #188114 09/10/04 12:59 PM
JJ Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
To close out this thread at 50 posts. Please continue our discussion at:
Part 3

Moderated by  JJ 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,328 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users