Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
What would you like to do at a Reunion? #188028 07/01/04 01:11 PM
JJ Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
OK, we have heard the rumors and expressed our wishes about where we would like to have a reunion next year. Let's give Harbour Lights some ideas about what we would like to do for 2 or 3 days if we had another HL Family Reunion. What did you like about the past 3 reunions? What did you dislike? What was missing? What ideas could we put forth that everyone would love to do as a large group, part of a small group, or with a bunch of our closest wacko friends. We know HL watches these forums-let's give them some encouragement to give us some good news.

Re: What would you like to do at a Reunion? #188029 07/01/04 05:05 PM
Bill and Judy Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
If I am not mistaken John Chidester organized some great pre- and post-reunion tours. I remember Paul and Sue Brady being hosts on one of the buses. These are important as we like to see as many lights as possible on these trips. And you never know what adventures will occur--like getting the bus stuck in the sand!! It was also fun meeting other lighthouse groupies.

Judy

Re: What would you like to do at a Reunion? #188030 07/02/04 10:41 AM
silverfox51 Offline
Wacko
Wacko
How about northern Michigan, around Macanaw (sp).
There are many lights, many island lights, and many opportunities for extra tours and cruises.

Just my thought.

Re: What would you like to do at a Reunion? #188031 07/06/04 10:28 PM
Digger Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Food!!!

Re: What would you like to do at a Reunion? #188032 07/09/04 03:22 PM
JJ Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
OK guys and girls, let's have some more information posted here. We have had lots of discussion in several other threads about where, so let's stick to the topic at hand. What is it that you would like to do at a reunion beside the boat or bus trip to see lighthouses and the dinners?
I would like to see some unstructured time to hang out in small group settings and have a chance to chat with old friends that we don't see often enough and new friends that we make along the way. As I have often said, I think the most wonderful result of my addiction to HL's has been the group of new friends that I have developed from all over this country. Sometimes it's nice to just slow down a bit and the two reunions I have attended didn't have a lot of that built in to a rather tight schedule.

Re: What would you like to do at a Reunion? #188033 07/09/04 05:50 PM
Sunshine Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
How about a scavenger hunt to find 5 to 10 members of different clubs. Or your small groups could be small brainstorming parties for lighthouse preservation fundraising tactics.

That's all that I can think of for now. I do my best thinking while driving long distances where my mind needs stimulation.

Re: What would you like to do at a Reunion? #188034 07/09/04 07:46 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Lots of lighthouses before and after to extend the Reunion like John did at Baltimore. I've heard there are a few LHs in the Great Lakes area (tic)?
Bob :rolleyes:

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: What would you like to do at a Reunion? #188035 07/09/04 07:49 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
I also heard about these 'bull" and "beer" sessions. Maybe a hospitality area for Wackos where we could meet and drink byo? eek

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: What would you like to do at a Reunion? #188036 07/10/04 02:55 AM
Hal Dean Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I like the idea of a hosptality place where Wackos and other collectors get together Bob. I also think a swap and sell would be good to have among the collectors. When I was into Dept.56 we would have room hopping among collectors. That is where collectors would bring extra pieces that they wanted to sell or trade and display them in their rooms and a certain time was set aside to have room hopping. It was a good chance to meet other collectors also. It was a lot of fun.
Hal

Re: What would you like to do at a Reunion? #188037 07/10/04 11:57 AM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I agree with Jim on the need for some "down time" to socialize with your lighthouse friends. I think that part of what made the first reunion in San Diego so nice was the opportunity to have coffee or a drink each night in the atrium lobby. It was a great way to end the evening and talk with new people.

This was the beginning of where John and I first started making our new "lighthouse friends". smile

Re: What would you like to do at a Reunion? #188038 07/10/04 02:35 PM
sanibel
sanibel
We have loved the reunions and fortunately or unfortunately they mirror our typical vacation, which is doing something constantly and very little down time. However, now with a small child I am learning to appreciate down time and agree it would be nice to have some leeway in the schedule as it always seemed events led right up to dinner and at times I just wanted a quick shower and some cocktail time to just relax. Of course, I am a fan of the bus trips as well. I know HL does not want us to be bored or too busy and it is hard to appeal to everyone. I like the room hopping concept, but know HL can't sanction that. I also like the scavanger hunt idea. One thing that I would like to see more of is the seminar sessions, like photography, etc.. There were too few of them and it would be nice to repeat them so I can go to all of them instead of pick and choose. They don't have to be long, but we can get a lot of information in a short time.

Eileen Dunlap
Charlotte, NC
Re: What would you like to do at a Reunion? #188039 07/25/04 05:45 PM
kory63 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I've been watching this topic and thinking about it for a while. It's a question I'm really surprised to see has not gotten a lot of response. Could it be HL"s collectors have become to complacent?
The only reunion I have attended was Baltimore and if it wasn't for the "club" connection I probably would not have been lucky enough to participate. Sis and I had a great time but we both agreed that some format to meet new and veteran collectors would have been a great plus. Don't get me wrong, the people were great and the one's we met outside of our own club were outstanding. But the long time collectors seemed to have their own friends and special interests and newbies like us were not ignored but not entirely comfortable among groups who already knew each other.
I like the seminar or workshop idea which would be dedicated to specific topics of interest. Possibly a "live" version of the CF's where many different people would get together to share their knowledge and ideas. The CF topics seem to attract many different forum members. ie. I don't see the same people exclusivly at one forum topic. This way you could pick interesting seminars, voice an opinion/idea and meet people face to face or at least have a face/name to recognize when you saw someone in a less structured time with whom you might want to meet for further talk.
I would guess this type of activity would require a good deal of work and pre-planning. Topics would need to be selected, discussion leaders found and they would need to prepare, space for each group, a way to sign up etc.,etc.
I'm sure with a group as divers as this one something could be developed.
I've gone way to long but appreciate having this venue to air out my thoughts.
A reunion anywhere is better than none at all and I gather that they would be sorely missed.
Hope I haven't offended anyone!! Ido not mean to.
Rick

Re: What would you like to do at a Reunion? #188040 07/25/04 06:38 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, the people were great and the one's we met outside of our own club were outstanding. But the long time collectors seemed to have their own friends and special interests and newbies like us were not ignored but not entirely comfortable among groups who already knew each other.
Hi Rick, ...The first reunion I attended was in Providence RI in 1998. I knew no one in person but made it a point to try to say "hi" to most everyone I met through the old AOL HL Board and the then new (correct me if I'm wrong) Collector Forum. I met with Fred Kuhlman, John Chidester, Paul Brady, Sean Thompson, Ken Reese, Mark Wagner, Tim Aucerman, Rod Watson, and a few other people who I had conversed with on the Net. I also took advantage of the different functions sponsored By HL to sit with different people and strike up a conversation. Everyone was friendly and more than willing to talk. I left that reunion weekend feeling quite inspired about about my then small HL collection and the wonderful people I had establish friendships with. I found everyone to be extremely friendly.

I also attended the Baltimore Reunion and basically tried to speak with those people I had met at the previous reunion in Providence. I did manage to speak with many other new people who I mostly identified by Wacko Badges and recognized their names from participation at the CF. With such a large group of people heading in two different directions at the same time, it was difficult to break into some club groups. People did stay with the group they normally hang with probably because they enjoy their company. The Baltimore Reunion covered a lot of functions in a short period of time. There just wasn't much time to seek out total strangers and try to engage them in conversation.

The fact people stayed within their club groups is not surprising because of the extremely demanding itinerary. Perhaps a forced mingling could help out at future reunions. By this I mean, assigned seating with people you don't know. Break up the clubs and have them sit with people from other parts of the country. There is no way you can speak with 850 different people on a one-on-one basis in a couple of days and nights, but you can surely make new friends with part of the group. I know it's difficult to leave the people you are traveling with but it can be done.

There will be another reunion. What it will be, I do not know. Where it will be I can only guess but the Great Lakes is due as a venue. How many people will be able to attend or be accommodated? I guess that depends when and where they have it. My suggestion to all those people who attend is not to be shy. Look for wacko badges and introduce yourself as a fellow CF member and show them your wacko badge (if you don't have one, get one!). The badge is the key that separates you from total strangers who do not visit the CF and have no idea who all those people are with the badges.

I've never met a person with a wacko badge that wasn't ready to talk and find out who you are. Those who keep to themselves and are shy about taking the initiative about striking up a conversation will not mix as well as those who extend their hand to another.

Does the above make sense?

smile Bob smile

Re: What would you like to do at a Reunion? #188041 07/25/04 07:48 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Everything makes great sense except the part about the Great Lakes being due for the next reunion. The South is also due and you can't count Baltimore as being the "South". They are the Middle Atlantic and just as close to the Northeast(or maybe even closer) then they are to the Southern States. But, that's a discussion for another time and it's a moot point until Harbour Lights decides where, if any, the next one will be.

Rich
Re: What would you like to do at a Reunion? #188042 07/26/04 09:05 PM
kory63 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Hey Bob,
laugh Thanks laugh for your response and insights. It's just another example of what these forums are all about...sharing.
At Baltimore we were still new to HL's, our own club and knew nothing of WACKO's or the CF's. Now more knowledgable and a participant here I agree wholeheartedly. Met more people at St. Augustine and the WACKO Badge certainly helped.
My ideas were presented as a possible way for new collectors to be more comfortable.
As usual the CF's can be counted upon for important information. Thanks again!
Rick

Re: What would you like to do at a Reunion? #188043 07/27/04 01:08 AM
Gebby Offline
I've met more people in the last 2 HL events than I have for the 8 years that I've been collecting. I just had the Wacko badge out and went for it. I've met some great people in the last 3 months and looking forward to meeting even more at the UP Michigan trip next week. Can't wait for even more events and for the reunion next year. No need to be shy around this group. laugh

Ken

Re: What would you like to do at a Reunion? #188044 07/28/04 11:10 PM
Digger Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
More FOOD.
laugh (That's a big FAT smile)

Re: What would you like to do at a Reunion? #188045 07/28/04 11:43 PM
Digger Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I never knew what to expect at Baltimore since it was my first reunion. Probably the best description would be "Overwhelmed". I wanted to meet everyone but that was just impossible and I think in the total mayhem I might have even unintentionally walked by some wackos and looked like a real snob (next time that happens hit me over the head with with an expensive LE). Just not enough time to do serious socializing with everyone you want to. I was running from here to there so much that I lost my mind a few times and had to resort to alcohol to bring me back!!! The best way to get in the socializing is to definitely do the before or after trips that are usually set up.

There is no easy solution. HL's does a wonderful job in the short time they have to put on a function of this size. Remember now we're talking about thousands of crazed lighthouse wackos all thrown together in one place. What do you get?? Let's just keep plenty of alcohol handy, ready to bring us back. Right Sue??

Oh, and we could always have more FOOD!!!! Crab Cake land is history, now it's time for some good 'ol Great Lakes Perch!!!!!!!!!

Re: What would you like to do at a Reunion? #188046 07/28/04 11:48 PM
Digger Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
If I wandered from the original subject, it must be the mind thing again. Sorry.

Keep a gravedigger fat and you keep him happy smile

Re: What would you like to do at a Reunion? #188047 07/29/04 09:55 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I don't think anyone would ever consider you a snob, Digger. Reading your post, and those of others, put a thought in my mind.

Now I'm not in charge of a show and don't mean to step on HL's toes by putting something into their itinerary, but what do you guys think about this as a possibility. How about a cocktail hour and Wacko Reception Line?

Here's how it would work: One hour or so before the evening dinner, all Wackos would line up with their Wacko Badges displayed on their person. Starting from left to right, each Wacko would identify themselves as such: (using me for an example) Bob McKeon (actual name), Bob M (screen name), North Attleboro, Massachusetts (where you're from).It should take the average Wacko 3-5 seconds to say that. Once all the Wackos have identified themselves, the first Wacko will start down the line and shakes hands or high-five with each other Wacko until everyone has shook hands or high-fived with each other. At this point, every Wacko has met every other Wacko in attendance. Now all non-Wackos would be invited to form a line and all the Wackos would go through that line for a quick "greet & meet" with those folks who might be too shy to introduce themselves.

"TA-DAH!"...Now everyone in attendance has had the opportunity to at least meet a good portion of those people attending the reunion. What's that you say? It would take too much time? Not if it's done right. The line must be kept moving. During the reception line, there will be no time for stopping to "shoot the breeze"(note: Where I come from that means to stop and talk). The reception line might take a bit longer but not much if you keep the line moving.

If this doesn't fit into the schedule then maybe we should have a "Meet the Wackos Cocktail Reception". This would be open to Wackos and Non-Wackos. All Wackos must prominently display their Wacko Badge and seek out those reunion attendees who are Non-Wackos, and introduce themselves.

What do you think? You must admit it would make it easy for Non-Wackos to get to know the members of the HL Wacko Family.

smile Bob smile

P.S. Can you tell I'm working long hours because of the DNC?

Re: What would you like to do at a Reunion? #188048 07/29/04 11:02 PM
Twiggy Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Bob
I really like your idea of a greet & meet laugh .
It would give all a chance to met one another.
I think it would take a little longer to do the line thing, but a even a reception is a good idea if it is done when no other "thing" is going on, or not enough time before next "thing".

Twiggy
Re: What would you like to do at a Reunion? #188049 08/03/04 12:29 PM
Shortcake Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Bob, I think you have a winning idea. laugh Sounds great to me!

I also like the swap & sell idea that was mentioned. Not so sure about the room hopping, but maybe a room could be set aside for such a purpose.

Stephanie

Stephanie

God may have created man before woman,
but there is always a rough draft before the masterpiece.
Re: What would you like to do at a Reunion? #188050 08/11/04 12:43 AM
Bill and Judy Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Swap and sell and WACKO reception are great suggestions. The club tables are important but we need more meet and greet time. All this is in addition to our previous suggestions of pre and post lighthouse tours.
Bill and Judy

Moderated by  JJ 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,251 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users