Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Port Huron, August 26-27?? #188025 07/19/05 10:13 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
A few of us are starting out our "Reunion or Bust" trip on Friday, August 26, starting in Port Huron Michigan.

We're hoping to arrange an evening tour of the LS Huron and enjoy a fish fry dinner either aboard the Huron or adjacent to her in Pine Grove Park. Perch and pickerel anyone? (Walleye for you Minnesotans.)

Next morning early, we're hoping to arrange a "first light" tour of the Fort Gratiot Lighthouse - maybe 7 AM or 8 AM start.

I've got my posse in Port Huron working on the details.

Whether you're heading to the Reunion or not, if you can put yourself in Port Huron on those dates, we'd like to have you join us in what we think will be a unique kickoff.

After the Fort Gratiot tour, we'll be hitting the road up and around the 'Thumb' of Michigan, and continuing the shore route up to Mackinaw City, arriving on Sunday in time to sup with the Youngers.

We'll be snapping digital images of every true and faux lighthouse along the way. (And a few lighthouse mailboxes and lawn ornaments, too.) (Fifteen lights or so before we reach Mackinaw City.)

Then we'll lead the "storming of Mackinac Island" Monday morning, comandeering the Shepler boats and taking control of the Island fudge shops where we'll impose a special Collector Forum "surcharge" of $1 a pound for the duration of our tour of occupation.

I'm bringing along my VHS tape of "Somewhere in Time" and will have it continuously running in the Mission Point Lounge. Admission $1.

We may not have the luxury boats or buses to travel with, but we'll have at least as much fun as anyone else heading for the last collector roundup 2005 Collector Reunion.

Well some of this is true. And some of it isn't. But you'll have to check back in a week or so to see which is which.

Re: Port Huron, August 26-27?? #188026 07/30/05 10:43 PM
B
Beacons of the Bay Offline
B
Any more info about the fish fry in Port Huron on the 26th, John? We'll be at Donna's Mother's home near Rochester and it would only be a short drive to Port Huron where we could join you for the fish fry. Can't make the tour the next morning though as we have to make it to Mackinaw City by Saturday evening so that we can go on the bus trip early on Sunday.

Jerry and Donna

Re: Port Huron, August 26-27?? #188027 07/30/05 11:19 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
The details aren't firmed up yet, but the plan is to arrive about 6:30 pm in Pine Grove Park where the HURON is dry-docked.

Tours of the Lightship will be available from 7:00 - 8:30.

We'll have a cook-out in the park with burgers for the red-meat eaters and perch and/or walleye for the fish eaters. Maybe corn-on-the-cob and salads.

Since it's in a city park, alcoholic beverages are not permitted. Put your Mike's in a mug or pitcher.

I'll post an update in a week or so. Bring your family.

Moderated by  JJ 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rock), 1,434 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users