Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Guide to Things Michigan... (Changed the name) #187884 08/09/05 12:38 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
If you're headed for the reunion, you'll want to be speaking like a native "Michigander" (the official name for those who live in the "Great Lake State".)

I'll focus on the lighthouse and lighthouse area names... emphasis on the capitalized sylables.

Mackinac - MACK-in-awe the straits, the island, Old Mackinac Point Lighthouse, the bridge, the fudge
Mackinaw - MACK-in-awe the city
Fort Michilimackinac (near Old Mackinac Point Lighthouse) mish-ill-a-MACK-in-ack
Fort Mackinac (on Mackinac Island) MACK-in-awe
Fort Gratiot GRA-shut ('gra' as in 'grass')
Tawas TAH-wass both short "a"
Pointe Aux Barques point awe barks
Grosse Ile gross EEL
Belle Isle bell aisle
Port Sanilac port SAN-ill-ack
Cheboygan shaw-BOY-gun
Waugoshance WAH-go-shans short "a"s
Traverse TRA-verse emphasis on first sylable
Au Sable, Little Sable, Big Sable SAW-bull
Charlevoix SHAR-l'voy voy rhymes with boy
Seul Choix say shwah
Manistique manis TEAK teak like the wood
Mainstee manis TEA
Menominee men-AHM-in-knee
Manitou man-it-TOO
Munising MUNE-ah-sing mune rhymes with tune
Peche Island peach
Presque Isle presk eel
Bete Grise men-DOUGH-tah smile I think it's bet GREASE Anyone else?
Detroit DEE-troit or dee-TROIT
Bois Blanc boy blahnk doesn't rhyme with bank
Petoskey (Home of Bright Eyes) pet-TOSS-key
Sault Ste. Marie Sue Saint Marie Home of the Soo Locks where ships are lowered from Lake Superior to Lake Huron (and raised if upbound.) There are towns on each side of the St. Mary's River. One in Michigan, the other in Ontario, both with the same name.

Oh yes, and one definition:

"Fudgie" - a person visiting Mackinac Island for just the day. As in "The fudgies clear off the island when the last ferry leaves. I'll meet you at the Mustang Lounge at 10."

Re: Guide to Things Michigan... (Changed the name) #187885 08/09/05 12:48 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
"Repeat after the tone. Very good! Now let's try a simple conversation...." laugh

Re: Guide to Things Michigan... (Changed the name) #187886 08/09/05 01:12 PM
Cana Fan Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Per the locals from our last trip, Bete Grise is pronounced Bay-ta Gree Although I think they got a kick out out listening to me try and pronounce it!

Mike

Re: Guide to Things Michigan... (Changed the name) #187887 08/09/05 02:44 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Yours is MUCH MORE MELODIC, Mike...

Re: Guide to Things Michigan... (Changed the name) #187888 08/09/05 02:56 PM
Jenifer Selwa Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I have to second Mike's pronounciation on Bete Gris. Also, depending on where you are from, Little and Big Sable are pronounced "Sable" like Mercury Sable, and Au Sable in the UP is "sa-bull" -sa rhymes with -la.

Re: Guide to Things Michigan... (Changed the name) #187889 08/09/05 08:57 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Mike, You're very close on your bete gris. The bete is pronounced like 'bait'.

Bert

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: Guide to Things Michigan... (Changed the name) #187890 08/10/05 01:06 AM
W
WisKeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
W
The S is not pronounced in Bete Grise. Bete Grise is pronounced "Bay Deh Gree"

Seul Choix is pronounced Sis-shwa

Keweenaw is pronounced KEY-win-awe

Suzanne Murphy
President, Wisconsin Lighthouse District (WILD)
Re: Guide to Things Michigan... (Changed the name) #187891 08/10/05 03:55 AM
W
WisKeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
W
The present name, "Bęte Grise Bay," has evolved over the years and is a good example of the alterations which can occur in a foreign language place name as it is Americanized. Not recognizing that the French pronunciation of "Baie de" (which sounded like "Bęte") meant "Bay of," the Americans added "Bay" to the end of the name. Thus, we have the present redundant name, which means, literally, "Bay of Sandstone Bay."

Suzanne Murphy
Re: Guide to Things Michigan... (Changed the name) #187892 08/10/05 04:03 AM
W
WisKeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
W
The names of Michigan's 83 counties reflect the state's Native American, French, British and early American heritage. Thirty-two counties have names drawn from Native American languages; 29 are named for people; 16 are named for natural features such as rivers that already had been given names; and 6 have names meant to describe the county's geography (e.g., Hillsdale).

Prior to the time Americans imposed their geographic nomenclature on the Upper Peninsula of Michigan the place names in use were a mixture of Indian and French terms. Before the arrival of the French, the local Chippewa bands used the coastal waters of Lake Superior as fishing grounds. The various islands, bays, points, river mouths, and hills along the coast were also important camping sites, harbors of refuge, and landmarks in the Indians’ employment of the near shore water as a canoe highway. Because of their intense use of the shoreline zone, we can be certain that the Chippewa had bestowed on it a dense network of place names.

Because the economic activity of both groups was waterway-oriented, the named places were mainly along the shoreline of the Great Lakes and the streams flowing into the lakes. Some geographic features had more than one name; several had the same name; and there were many variations in the spelling and pronunciation of the names. To the Americans entering the area in the early 1800s it was all very confusing. The confusion was reduced only after the Americans covered the land with their names. Illustrative of the difficulty in discovering the "correct" names of the places, before the Americans had imposed their names on the land, is the following comment made by geologists working in the western Upper Peninsula during the 1840s:

"Hardly anything has more perplexed us than the difficulty of ascertaining the correct names of prominent natural features of our district, and of writing them as they are pronounced, so as, at the same time, to preserve the original meaning. While very few of the small lakes, rivers, or hills in the interior, have as yet received any names; almost all the streams, points, and bays, along the coast of the great lakes, are known by some name, generally either of Indian or French derivation. Many of these are now so corrupted from their original designation, that it is impossible ever to restore the correct spelling, or to bring again into use the original name...How many of the great topographic features of this country retain their aboriginal names, while the meaning of these names has been irrevocably lost!"

Source: Lake Superior Place Names by Bernard C. Peters

Suzanne Murphy
Re: Guide to Things Michigan... (Changed the name) #187893 08/10/05 04:30 AM
W
WisKeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
W
The Native Americans called the area around today's Straits of Mackinac by a name which can be approximated with this spelling: Michinnimakinong.

When French explorers arrived in the area from the north in 1715, they pronounced Michinnimakinong differently, replacing the double "n" with an "l" sound, the soft "sh" sound the Native Americans used with the harder "ch," and they pronounced the "ong" at the end as "aw." And when the French wrote down their version of the place name, they spelled the ending in the French language version of the "aw" sound, "ac." So their version of the name was Michilimackinac.

When the British, who arrived on the scene later, heard the French say the word, they wrote it down the way they heard it - Michilimackinaw. They pronounced it about the same as the French, but spelled it differently.

Over the years, the word was simplified and shortened to Mackinac and Mackinaw. Both spellings are pronounced the same - Mack-in-aw.

The British spelling remains in use to the south - in the Lower Peninsula, in Mackinaw City. But once you begin to cross the Straits of Mackinac, every thing from there north is spelled with the French "ac" suffix - Mackinac Island, Mackinac County in the Upper Peninsula.

Suzanne Murphy
Re: Guide to Things Michigan... (Changed the name) #187894 08/10/05 11:54 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
For those heading for the Reunion who have not visited Mackinac Island or the Straits area, a good plan would be to learn more about the history of the area before you get there.

This will assure you will plan your visit so as to see the highlights with a better understanding of the past.

You can start at the Mackinac State Parks Site

Re: Guide to Things Michigan... (Changed the name) #187895 08/10/05 09:33 PM
TDSimpson Offline
Wacko
Wacko
For those of you who are going to be in St. Ignace one of the most important words you need to know and say correctly is pastie, pronounced pass-tee. Those who have had one before know what I am talking about. While there you also have to go to the Driftwood Sports Bar for their famous U.P. Burger and fries and ice cold draughts. I would also recommend the Mackinac Grill for the steak and perch dinner followed by one of their ice cream cocktails for dessert.

Tom

Re: Guide to Things Michigan... (Changed the name) #187896 08/10/05 10:00 PM
pierhead Offline
I'd like to add the Village Inn to Tom's list of St Ignace stops - that's where I'll be on Sunday evening smile . Great food (the planked whitefish and burgers are my favorites), more of the ice cold draughts, and great service. Also, if you want a good pastie (and make SURE you pronounce it correctly) go to Annies or Mackinaw Pastie and Cookie Company.

Re: Guide to Things Michigan... (Changed the name) #187897 08/11/05 12:22 AM
W
WisKeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
W
I just purchased a pasty at my local store and around here the word is spelled "pasty".

Suzanne Murphy
Re: Guide to Things Michigan... (Changed the name) #187898 08/11/05 01:02 AM
MrsTLC Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Okay guys...tell us dummies just what a "pastie/pasty" is and what do you do with them. confused confused confused

Ruthie
"Where words fail, Music speaks"
Re: Guide to Things Michigan... (Changed the name) #187899 08/11/05 02:51 AM
pierhead Offline
Quote:
I just purchased a pasty at my local store and around here the word is spelled "pasty".
I've seen it spelled both ways, however if you prefer the "pasty" spelling I can make sure to use that in my future posts. :p

"PASTY"

Re: Guide to Things Michigan... (Changed the name) #187900 08/11/05 03:01 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsTLC:
Okay guys...tell us dummies just what a "pastie/pasty" is and what do you do with them. confused confused confused
You'll want TWO of them, Ruthie, they are so good! eek eek

Quote:
Originally posted by WisKeeper:
That must be the "Westconnsin" spelling, Suzanne. And you have to have them with a Leinenkugels . (Geez, kriminee, their website even checks your age before you can enter.)

Hey Pierhead, I checked that place's website and they even have food for "Pastie-Challenged People" (Pizza) and heaven forbid, a low-carb version??? What's a Youper to do?

Re: Guide to Things Michigan... (Changed the name) #187901 08/11/05 03:33 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Well, ya, eh. If youse gonna spend ANY time in the U.P., youse gonna need to copy yourself this UNOFFICIAL YOOPANESE GLOSSARY:

Quote:

APPLEKNOCKER: 1. A person from downstate. 2. Anyone from outside the Upper Peninsula.

BAKERY: Baked goods, rather than a place where things are baked. "Go store an get me some bakery, eh?"

BIKE RIDING: In Yoopanese, it's not always aufficient to say "biking," "skiing," or "snowmobiling." Instead, substitute the phrase "bike riding," also "snowmachine riding," or even "ski riding."

BORROW ME: Loan something to me. "Borrow me da keys to da snowmachine."

BOUGHTEN: Auxiliary verb form of buy. "I had boughten da snowmachine on special."

CAMP: 1. Not a primitive tent site, but the name used for any seasonal home. 2. What would be called a cottage by the more high-falutin'.

CHIT: Dung.

CHOUK: A hat. Also chook, chukka, or choukka.

CROMER: Another hat, this one is a flapped hunting cap apparently named after the Wisconsin company that manufactures them.

CUDIGHI: A type of hot Italian sausage, served in sandwiches. The name, if not the sausage itself, may be unique to the U.P. Also spelled gudlighi.

DA AREA: The generic term for whatever part of the U.P. the speaker happen to be in. Can encompass a neighborhood, city, county, or even the whole U.P.

GO CAMP: To go to one's summer residence. See also go Marquette, go Green Bay, or go Shopko.

HEIKKI LUUNTA: The Finnish snow god; thus the supreme deity of the Upper Peninsula.

HOLY WAH: Exclamation. "Holy wah, Toivo! Da Beer's all gone!"

ICE SPUD: Long metal device used to smash a hole in the ice for ice fishing. Not to be confused with winter potatoes.

LAKE EFFECT: From meteorology. Snow created by winds blowing over Lake Superior, as in "We got ten inches of dat lake effect last night."

LAKER: A lake trout. Not to be confused with a professional basketball team from Los Angeles.

NIPS: Socks.

NOSEEUMS: 1. Tiny, obnoxious biting flies. 2. Competition with mosquitoes for the title of U.P. state bird.

ON SPECIAL: On sale. See boughten.

PANK: Compound verb formed from "spank" and "pack." Descriptive term for what you do to snow with the flat side of a shovel or soles of a boot to get it to stay where you want it. "Pank dat snow bank down, eh?"

PASTY, pl. PASTIES: Cornish meat pie often confused by tourists with library paste, "pastry", or bangles used by strippers.

SHACKING: Grabbing on to the back fender of a car, truck or bus and sliding along on the snow and ice coating on streets and roads. A favorite pastime of young Yoopers.

SMELTIN: The process of catching numerous tiny fish by dipping a big net in a small stream. Do not confuse with the process of steel production.

SNOWSCOOP: N: A device, apparently invented in the U.P., for removing snow from roofs, driveways, porches, or any other large, outdoor surface. V: The process of such removal, as in "I gotta snowscoop out da neighbor's driveway."

SPIN A DOUGHNUT: To put one's car into a 360-degree power slide on ice-slick parking lot surfaces. Another favorite pastime of young Yoopers.

ST. URHO: A legendary Finnish pseudo-saint who supposedly drove the grasshoppers out of the Finnish Vineyards.

SWAMPERS: Waterproof winter boots. Sometimes also referred to as Sorrels—a brand name of boot.

TREE-WHEELER: A three-wheeled all terrain vehicle, not to be confused with a device for removing logs from a forest.

UNTHAW: To thaw out something that was frozen, as in "We got to get dat turkey out an unthaw it quick."

YA, EH: Favorite Yooper interjection.

YOOPER: An inhabitant of the Upper Peninsula or any speaker of Yoopanese. Also called Uper.

YOUSE: Plural of you. "Hey, youse, da beer'll never unthaw on da snowmachine."

Written by: Dan Weingarten
Well lookee there, 'pasties' is the plural of 'pasty.' Just like 'nasties' is the plural of 'nasty'. And they RHYME. (Do I feel a limerick comin' on??)

We're gonna need St. Tim in here to pank down all this info into a useful form soon, ya, eh?

Re: Guide to Things Michigan... (Changed the name) #187902 08/11/05 04:35 AM
W
WisKeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
W
The History of the Pasty
http://www.hu.mtu.edu/vup/pasty/history.htm

Cornish Pasty History and Folklore-Cornwall
http://www.cornish-links.co.uk/pasty.htm

Cornwall, The Cornish Pasty Recipe
http://www.cornwall-calling.co.uk/food/pastie.htm

Suzanne Murphy
Re: Guide to Things Michigan... (Changed the name) #187903 08/11/05 04:44 AM
W
WisKeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
W
If you will be driving near Marquette, a good place to stop is Da Yoopers
http://www.dayoopers.com/

Suzanne Murphy
Re: Guide to Things Michigan... (Changed the name) #187904 08/11/05 09:20 AM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Ruthie...have you been hanging out at Lake Havasu WEARING your pasties? laugh smile laugh

Re: Guide to Things Michigan... (Changed the name) #187905 08/11/05 10:50 AM
Cana Fan Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
For the record John, a "CROMER" is actually a "KROMER" as in Stormy Kromer. And they're made right in Ironwood. www.stormykromer.com

Mike

Re: Guide to Things Michigan... (Changed the name) #187906 08/11/05 12:06 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Thanks for setting me straight on dat Kromer/Cromer thing, Mike. Curses for sending me to da hat page I spent the last two hours clicking on da various colors to see da hat change. I can't choose which one to buy. I'm leaning toward da blaze orange cause it would go with the rest of da winter duds. But I really like da black trim on da red one, too. Then there's da navy one. Course one of da camo ones would help me hide in da woods when I'm at da camp. HELP! Which one should I buy?

Re: Guide to Things Michigan... (Changed the name) #187907 08/11/05 12:10 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
ya, eh Dave... If you don't have all the 'entertainment' booked for the Reunion, yet. Maybe 'Da Yoopers' would be available to put in an appearance to sing da 'condom song' or \'do you want to buy an organ\' (PG13)

Re: Guide to Things Michigan... (Changed the name) #187908 08/11/05 12:38 PM
Cana Fan Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
If you ask nice John I'll bring my Kromer to the Reunion. May need it up there in late August, probably be snowing by them! laugh

Re: Guide to Things Michigan... (Changed the name) #187909 08/11/05 05:11 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Ya, eh, Mike. Speaking of da weather...

Here\'s da 10 day outlook for Mackinac Island. Keep checking back each day. Down near the bottom of the page, you can click on averages to see what da ranges have been in da years past.

And if you're plannin' to dip your minnow in the water, you'll want this updated information on waves and winds. Based on a buoy near DeTour Island.

Here's a plain text report on wave and water conditions in da Straits area

Re: Guide to Things Michigan... (Changed the name) #187910 08/12/05 12:53 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Good one Lorie! laugh I was thinking similar thoughts (naturally)....

Sounds like you folks are all getting in the mood for a fun time. Sorry I won't be joining you. frown Don't think I could conquer the language anyway. eek

Re: Guide to Things Michigan... (Changed the name) #187911 08/12/05 02:41 AM
MrsTLC Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Sure wish you were coming to the reunion too Sue frown frown I think I will hire a translator...it's all to confusing to me. confused

Ruthie
"Where words fail, Music speaks"
Re: Guide to Things Michigan... (Changed the name) #187912 08/12/05 11:16 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
While you're around the Great Lakes, you'll soon get acquainted with "Lakers"; boats used to ship all kinds of products and raw materials to and from the many ports - even out through the St. Lawrence to the rest of the world.

The shapes of these boats are unique - not like the 'salties' or sea-going ships. Form follows function.

A great source for information is www.boatnerd.com. Stay around long enough and you'll soon be plotting the passages and reporting the upbounds and downbounds comings and goings of ships past your viewpoint, too.

You'll see many, many of these in and about the Staits of Michigan and Mackinac Island. It's kind of like a 'cloverleaf interchange' for boats journeying to and from Lakes Superior, Michigan and Huron.

When you see a Laker 'riding high' it means it's left it's cargo at the last stop and is deadheading back to pick up another load of coal, iron ore, wheat, or gravel. When it's 'riding low', of course, it's full. On the way from the source of the raw materials to the user of those resources.

The biggest freighters on the Great Lakes are the 1,000 footers. Limited in size by the locks at the "Soo" (Sault Ste. Marie) and in the Wellend Canal which bypasses Niagara Falls.

The boat-spotters guide is and has been the " Know Your Ships " booklet. It shows the company pattern painted on the smoke stake (not much smoke these days), the color of the hull and the shape of the profile with other facts about the ship.

It's been published annually for 46 years.

And the most famous "Laker" has to be....

The Edmund Fitzgerald If you're heading the the UP (don't get me started again), you'll want to stop at the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum which is conveniently co-located at Whitefish Point Lighthouse west of Sault Ste. Marie.

The biggest boat on the Great lakes is This one -- just over 1,000 feet long. It is one of 13 'thousand footers' operating on the Great Lakes.

Here's the Paul R. Tregurtha, "Queen of the Great Lakes" downboard past the Fort Gratiot Lighthouse, Port Huron:

The boat is steer from the rear superstructure. As it is about to enter the St. Clair River, it is actually being guided by a 'pilot' for the trip down the River and under the Blue Water Bridges. The pilot will accompany the boat until it reaches Lake Erie.

Re: Guide to Things Michigan... (Changed the name) #187913 08/19/05 12:29 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Quote:
Originally posted by JChidester:
Ya, eh, Mike. Speaking of da weather...

Here\'s da 10 day outlook for Mackinac Island. Keep checking back each day. Down near the bottom of the page, you can click on averages to see what da ranges have been in da years past.

And if you're plannin' to dip your minnow in the water, you'll want this updated information on waves and winds. Based on a buoy near DeTour Island.

Here's a plain text report on wave and water conditions in da Straits area
The 10-day forecast is starting to cover the first days of the Reunion.

Re: Guide to Things Michigan... (Changed the name) #187914 08/20/05 11:56 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
First day shows up in the 10-day forecast:

Mon Aug 29 Partly Cloudy
77°/62° 10% Chance of precip

Re: Guide to Things Michigan... (Changed the name) #187915 08/23/05 01:54 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
God and the Weatherpersons continue to smile on our gathering:

Sun Aug 28 Sunny
74°/62° 20% Chance Precip

Mon Aug 29 Sunny
77°/63° 10% Chance Precip

Tue Aug 30 Partly Cloudy
78°/62° 10% Chance Precip

Wed Aug 31 Sunny
74°/64° 20% Chance Precip

Thank you, Lord! I am so going to like being out of the 109° days here in the Valley of the (Baking) Sun cool

Anybody checked on the chances for Aurora Borealis???

Moderated by  JJ 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,068 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users