Next Thread
Print Thread
Possible Bus Trip to Coincide with 2005 Reunion #187780 10/15/04 12:15 PM
Shortcake Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Possible Bus Trip to Coincide with 2005 Reunion

Only in the “Thought” stage at this time. I would like to see if I could get enough people interested in such a trip for me to plan it.

Here are my thoughts as of 10-15-04 (with many changes possible as time goes by)

“Two Week Tour”

Starting in maybe Tampa, where I could pick-up TBHLCC members and other Floridians. Next stop in Atlanta, where I could pick-up NGBB members and other Georgians and Alabamians. Then up to Louisville, KN for the night, through Indianapolis and on to Chicago picking up passengers along the way. Stopping at the Chicago Airport to meet incoming flights from all over. This is where the fun will begin!

We can visit lights on our way up the west coast of Lake Michigan on our way to join in with the group on the “Apostle Islands Boat Trip” or just continue on up the west coast of Lake Michigan and around to Mackinac City.

After the Reunion we could visit the lights on the east coast of Lake Michigan heading back to Chicago for folks to meet their return flights home. And dropping off people on the way back to Tampa as needed.

I don't know what the cost would be at this time, as I haven't begun to plan any of this. But I can get the bus at a discount and I will be the driver. I will need 50 people interested in this trip to make it a reality.

What do you all think? Is this doable? confused Would you like to join in on this trip? I am open for suggestions and opinions. smile

Stephanie

Stephanie

God may have created man before woman,
but there is always a rough draft before the masterpiece.
Re: Possible Bus Trip to Coincide with 2005 Reunion #187781 10/15/04 02:51 PM
Shortcake Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Here's a link to some of the lights we could see on this trip.

http://www.lighthousefriends.com/lake_mi.html

Stephanie

Re: Possible Bus Trip to Coincide with 2005 Reunion #187782 10/15/04 08:28 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Stephanie,

If you would be willing to stop in Chicago, I would be interested in joining you there at the airport. But a stop in Haughton, MI, for the Apostle Boat tour is critical -- at least for me. And after the Reunion, getting back to Chicago would also be necessary.

How long do you anticipate this trip would last?

AND HOW MUCH MONEY MIGHT BE INVOLVED?

Bob

Re: Possible Bus Trip to Coincide with 2005 Reunion #187783 10/15/04 09:43 PM
LADYBUG Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I might be interested depending on time and money if there was a stop at the Chicago airport both directions -- I too am planning on doing the Apostle Island Trip

Re: Possible Bus Trip to Coincide with 2005 Reunion #187784 10/16/04 12:01 AM
Shortcake Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Yes, the Chicago Airport would be a defiant stop before and after. Also the Apostle Island Trip would be a defiant.

These are two of my main reasons for thinking of planing the bus trip in the first place. After reading so many post about people going to the Reunion and wanting to also go to the Apostle Islands. Many talking about flying into Chicago and renting a car for some lighthouseing along the way. I thought that maybe instead of renting cars for about the same price (car rental, gas, parking, overnight motels) I could offer a Bus Tour.

I cannot give prices yet. As I have got to check into the mileage involved, determine where to stop for the night and see if I can get some motel group rates. Find out what lights we can get to and which ones we can't. Which one's have and entry fee...........etc...

My first step is to find out if there are enough people interested for me to spend the time involved in planing such a trip. The more people on the bus the cheeper the price! I would like to take one of our 55 passenger buses so I need at least 50 people.

For those that live within or near my route from Alabama or Florida to Chicago. I can surely beat those Air Fares. laugh

Stephanie

Re: Possible Bus Trip to Coincide with 2005 Reunion #187785 10/16/04 01:14 AM
Tom and Joyce Abbott Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Stephanie,
Sounds like a fun lighthouse trip. Guess you won't be going to Chicago via Dallas.

Tom & Joyce
Re: Possible Bus Trip to Coincide with 2005 Reunion #187786 10/16/04 01:14 AM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Stephanie,

You have eliminated two of my concerns -- Chicago and Apostle Island. Thank you. I know it's way too early to be definitive about price, but how long do you think this Chicago/Wisconsin/Michigan/Chicago trip might take?

Not that I'm overly concerned because I have earned what you might call unlimited vacation time.

Of course, I've already asked the Rockefeller Foundation for a grant, but they have yet to respond.

Bob

Re: Possible Bus Trip to Coincide with 2005 Reunion #187787 10/16/04 01:16 AM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Tom & Joyce,

Why not just meet us in Chicago? Just a thought.

Bob

Re: Possible Bus Trip to Coincide with 2005 Reunion #187788 10/16/04 10:39 AM
Shortcake Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
As it stands right now, I'm looking at two weeks. That really isn't long enough when you consider that there are a possible 32 lighthouses to visit between Chicago and the Apostle Trip. The Apostle Trip is 3 days long. Then a possible 16 lights on the way to the reunion. The reunion is 4 days long. And another 22 lights on our way back to Chicago.

That's a lot of lighthouses to visit!!! (70 in 7 days time) eek Ofcourse I will have to eliminate some of them as accesses or time my not be available. But that's what I'm looking at for now (before planing). wink

Stephanie

Re: Possible Bus Trip to Coincide with 2005 Reunion #187789 10/16/04 11:08 PM
RFoster Offline
MJ and I are interested in the bus trip, joining the trip in Chicago. This of course is dependent on cost and details as they develop. I alo know several NELL members who may be interested and will email them the link to this thread. Thank you for looking into organizing this trip Stephanie.

Ron
(CT Keeper)

Ron
(CT Keeper)
Re: Possible Bus Trip to Coincide with 2005 Reunion #187790 10/17/04 06:13 PM
MelJB Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Stephanie, I would be interested in joining the group in Chicago. The amount of time on both sides of the reunion and the cost of course are critical in the final decision.

It's a wonderful opportunity for someone like me that has never seen any of the Lights up North!

Melody
Re: Possible Bus Trip to Coincide with 2005 Reunion #187791 10/17/04 06:43 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Melody,

Better buy some long-johns and bring sweatshirts and a good coat. But I know that you will have a wonderful time. I grew up (or tried to) in Racine, WI. That where Wind Point Lighthouse is located. (Locally known as “The Point”. It used to be very popular with the high school kids after dark.) Maybe we’ll even stop there.

Bob

Re: Possible Bus Trip to Coincide with 2005 Reunion #187792 10/18/04 01:00 AM
Shortcake Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
For those looking for a time plan. Here's what I'm looking at:

Saturday. Aug.20 meeting incoming flights in Chicago.

Sunday, Monday and Tuesday lighthouseing up the west coast of Lake Michigan.

Wednesday, Thursday and Friday The Aposile Boat Trip.

Saturday and Sunday lighthouseing on the way to Mackinac.

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday the Reunion.

Friday and Saturday lighthouseing down the east coast of Lake Michigan on our way back to Chicago.

Outgoing flights from Chicago on Sunday.

That's two full weeks of lighthouseing starting on a Saturday and ending on Sunday!

Stephanie

Re: Possible Bus Trip to Coincide with 2005 Reunion #187793 10/27/04 12:24 AM
Shortcake Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Bringing this back to the top, as there are only 7 listed as interested so far. And I need 45 to 50 passengers to make this worthwhile.

Depending on how many passengers and which bus I get. I think I can get the bus for about $20. per person per day. That's cheeper then the gas it will cost you to drive your car!

Stephanie

Moderated by  JJ 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,208 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users