Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Broken Cheboygan Reunion Pieces #187554 12/22/05 01:09 AM
2beacons Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
THIS IS AN ALERT TO THOSE OF YOU WHO ORDERED THE CHEBOYGAN CRIB LIGHT PIECE AT THE REUNION......

BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN YOU TAKE IT OUT OF THE BOX. THE TREES ARE VERY VERY VERY FRAGILE!!!!!!

We ordered 6 at the reunion. When the shipment came to our house today FOUR of the six were broken. Three had trees rolling around in the box. On the fourth the tree had a piece cracked out and the crack extended almost the rest of the way through the trunk. Of course two of the broken ones were matched to the reunion pieces that we had.

I have left messages at Harbour Lights and am awaiting their reply. This is not the way for the the company to go on to the next owner.

So to recap.....BE VERY VERY VERY CAREFUL WITH YOUR CHEBOYGAN CRIB LIGHT PIECE.

Mary
2beacons

Re: Broken Cheboygan Reunion Pieces #187555 12/22/05 03:20 AM
Shortcake Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I ordered 3 and all are fine.

Stephanie

God may have created man before woman,
but there is always a rough draft before the masterpiece.
Re: Broken Cheboygan Reunion Pieces #187556 12/22/05 03:27 AM
L
lvhrbrlts Offline
L
I ordered 6, one is broken. And just my luck the low number 18 is the broken one.

Re: Broken Cheboygan Reunion Pieces #187557 12/22/05 03:32 AM
beachcomber Offline
My one model had very tight and thick wrapping around the trees. I had so much trouble getting the wrapping off that I thought maybe it had actually adhered to the paint. Fortunately, I was able to remove it without damaging the trees.

beachcomber
Re: Broken Cheboygan Reunion Pieces #187558 12/22/05 11:45 AM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
One of our three has a tree ready to break.. There is a gap where only the pole in the center is still there.. I found some very small pieces in the box when I opened it and then saw the damage when I unwrapped the foam from around the tree trunks..

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Broken Cheboygan Reunion Pieces #187559 12/22/05 04:42 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
I talked to Bill this morning, actually about the Nikon flash that he is getting for his camera which is a twin to mine, and I asked him if he was aware of the breakage problem (Cheboygan Crib Lighthouses)... He said he was and they were going to discuss it today at the office.

He said they will have to figure out a replacement procedure but that it will take some time as the factory is basically shut down for the month of January (celebrating Chinese New Year)..

He and Harry were going to talk about it when he got off of the phone with me. Bill said he is very unhappy that this had to happen; especially to this very special piece..

Re: Broken Cheboygan Reunion Pieces #187560 12/22/05 06:25 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
I have communcated with Harry and he said the factory is already working on producing the replacement pieces and he hopes they will be completed before the long factory shutdown..

Re: Broken Cheboygan Reunion Pieces #187561 12/22/05 06:57 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Here's Harry's response to an email I sent and comments he provided in a follow-up phone call:

Quote:
Dear John,

I've been in touch with the factory with regards to the Cheboygan Crib. They are making replacements for all the damaged pieces, so we should hopefully be able to beat the factories shut down for their new year.

We found a few broken piece when Bill, Kim and Nancy signed the pieces, but the trip via UPS seems to have really done a number on some of the pieces. This really is a great shame and I'm terribly sorry to all the collectors who have been anxiously waiting for this special piece.

Could you please put the word out that we will of course replace any damaged piece. Anybody with a damaged piece should call customer service and they will take care of them.

Have a wonderful Christmas.

Harry
Since today was the last day Harbour Lights was open this year, Harry has said you can leave a message on their answering machine and those messages will be taken down off the machine periodically.

You'll need to provide the serial (edition) number of the piece(s) that need to be replaced along with the name you used when they were shipped to you and your address. You will receive the same numbers to replace the damaged ones.

If you want to wait until January 3rd to call in, you'll still receive replacement(s).

As noted above, Harry has the factory already at work on making a supply of replacements of the whole piece. They will be air-shipped to El Cajon and should arrive in early February. All the pieces will have the same typo on the sign (REUNIOH) as the originals. The trees limbs will be strengthed with internal wires -- which should have been done by the manufacturer -- but these trees will be externally indistinguishable from the originals.

The original production run for Cheboygan Crib was 519 pieces ordered by the 400 reunion attendees. To receive your replacement(s), you will be asked to break off the tree and return just the tree. More details will be provided when the replacements are ready to send out.

Re: Broken Cheboygan Reunion Pieces #187562 12/22/05 07:53 PM
Shortcake Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
laugh laugh John, you misspelled the misspelling! laugh laugh

Quote:
All the pieces will have the same typo on the sign (REUNIOH) as the originals
Mine says "REUHION".

Stephanie

Re: Broken Cheboygan Reunion Pieces #187563 12/22/05 08:03 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
John,

SO DOES MINE.

bobo

Re: Broken Cheboygan Reunion Pieces #187564 12/22/05 08:13 PM
Tom and Joyce Abbott Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
Since today was the last day Harbour Lights was open this year, Harry has said you can leave a message on their answering machine and those messages will be taken down off the machine periodically.
If they were open today it wasn't for very long. Tried to call to find out where our lights are and reached the -we are closed- message. Also no prompt to leave a message. Hard to believe it takes three weeks (cc billed 12/02)for a shipment from CA to TX.

Tom & Joyce
Re: Broken Cheboygan Reunion Pieces #187565 12/22/05 09:01 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Tom & Joyce,

I tried to call Harbour Lights today also and got the same result as you did.

UPS must have thrown my lighthouses out of the plane. But I don't have to bother breaking off the trees -- they are already broken off.

bobo

Re: Broken Cheboygan Reunion Pieces #187566 12/22/05 10:39 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
I'll get an extension number tomorrow to record your messages.

Re: Broken Cheboygan Reunion Pieces #187567 12/23/05 11:52 AM
Cana Fan Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Sounds like China will be busy making LOTS of replacements. Be careful when you dust those babies in the future!

Mike

Re: Broken Cheboygan Reunion Pieces #187568 12/23/05 12:29 PM
Shortcake Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
I ordered 3 and all are fine.
Opps, I spoke too soon!
I thought all were fine, but after reading so many post on the subject I looked again, this time removing the foam padding. And sure enough one of my three pieces is broke. Well not broke all the way through but chipped out over half way through the trunk of one tree.

So everyone PLEASE take the padding off and inspect at the tree trunks.

Now here's my two cents worth on the subject:

First it's terrible that such a thing had to happen, especially being that this is such a special piece. And right here as the Youngers are moving on with there lives. But as we all know "S--t Happens"! And I for one don't blame the Youngers for it. It's just one of those things. I'm sure that Bill and Nancy will see to it that we are all taken care of and satisfied in the end. Though we may have to wait awhile to retrieve our replacement pieces.

Now for my opinion of what went wrong:
Its the wrapping! Whom ever has the job of wrapping that foam padding around the base of the trees must have some very sore fingers. As they must have put all their might into pulling that padding as tight as they possible could. That being way tooooo tight! I think that they have pulled the two trees together so tight that they broke the base of the trees doing so. And they used way too much padding as well, causing even more stress on those delicate little tree trunks. Personally I think they would have shipped better with no padding at all, then to have been under such stress as they were.

But no-matter now as to what the problem was. It's done. And as long as Harbour Lights see to it that I eventually get a replacement, then I will be a Happy Camper.

IMHO

Stephanie

Re: Broken Cheboygan Reunion Pieces #187569 12/23/05 03:00 PM
beachcomber Offline
Stephanie, you are very right. The Youngers have always corrected problems to everyone's satisfaction. In all these years, I have never known of anyone who was not totally happy with the resolution to a problem with one of the lights. We know that the whole family must be very disappointed that one of their products has not turned out well - as you say, especially now.

I am also inclined to believe that the foam wrapping may have had something to do with the problem. I said somewhere in these posts that I had such a hard time getting the wrapping off that I was afraid I would damage the trees in the process. They do seem to be perfectly okay, though. I know you all must be very disappointed and hope you don't have to wait too terribly long to get your replacements.

beachcomber
Re: Broken Cheboygan Reunion Pieces #187570 12/23/05 03:11 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Stephanie, I expressed the very same concern about the foam wrapping putting way to much stress on the trees, to Bill and Harry when I got my Cheyboygan's earlier this week... I believe our theory to be the main cause of the breakage and Bill said that he would talk it over with Harry and he in turn would discuss with the factory..

In today's world of shipping, items (fexible) have to be ready to take a hit. On the conveyor belts alone packages take jolts..

Re: Broken Cheboygan Reunion Pieces #187571 12/23/05 03:20 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Several good points in this thread:

1. If you've received yours, unwrap and carefully inspect them all.

2. Put a sticky note on each box as a reminder of how fragile the trees are so a couple of years from now when you are putting one of your spares on ebay, you'll know to charge extra for triple packaging. smile

3. The Youngers will take care of all the broken ones. (Actually, it is the manufacturer's responsibility and they are picking up the bill for make-good and reship by air to the US.)

4. If you let the recorded message at HL play all the way through to the end, after a few seonds pause, you'll hear the invitation to leave a message.

I've suggested to HL that all those who ordered the Cheboygan Crib light probably should be sent a letter about the potential problem and asking them to open, inspect and report on any ones that need to be replaced ASAP.

Re: Broken Cheboygan Reunion Pieces #187572 01/07/06 03:52 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
I thought I would post some images of my three broken Cribs so collectors could see what to look for on the trees..

The one above is pretty obvious..

This one has two different points of stress cracks.. The same spot as the first lighthouse and then another area further down the tree trunk..

The third one has a stress line right in the center of the image of the tree trunk, much harder to see but just as broken as the first lighthouse pictured...

Re: Broken Cheboygan Reunion Pieces #187573 01/07/06 08:59 PM
W
WisKeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
W
Has anyone heard from Harbour Lights as to what we should do with our broken Cheboygan pieces? What is the procedure that we should follow?

Suzanne Murphy
President, Wisconsin Lighthouse District (WILD)
Re: Broken Cheboygan Reunion Pieces #187574 01/07/06 10:19 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
I have a call in for the procedure and should be able to post here on Monday..

Re: Broken Cheboygan Reunion Pieces #187575 01/08/06 07:19 PM
kory63 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I haven't been posting very often due to a myriad of health and family issues.
Of my 4 pieces 2 arrived broken and the other 2 showed "stress fractures" very much like those in Paul's photos.
I called HL and was told to send PIECES of the trees(not the entire tree) along w/the edition #'s.
I did this and hope they will be replaced as now I have 4 broken pieces w/pieces missing.
I haven't dealt as closely w/the HL office as some members here but I am confident the company will replace the pieces!!
Rick

Re: Broken Cheboygan Reunion Pieces #187576 01/08/06 09:20 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Given the extremely wide spread problem we have, it is disappointing that HL has not taken a pro-active stance and recalled the entire run. It would be the right thing to do. The manuafacturer apparently cut corners and got caught. If this is the case, I imagine HL will make them absorb the expense of replacements.

Some have questioned why HL wants a piece of the light back, and that is simple: it assures that the light is now out of circulation. Without requiring the destruction of the piece, there could be two #1 pieces out there and so on.

Appreciate your Collector Forums participation, folks. Think about those that have received the light and don't know to make a thorough inspection and to look for the hairline stress fractures. Mine weren't obvious until I looked at the piece with a flashlight.

Re: Broken Cheboygan Reunion Pieces #187577 01/09/06 12:16 AM
RFoster Offline
We had received our four Cheboygen Crib pieces and I briefly looked at all of the pieces when I put the lowest numbered one in our curio. With all of the problems going on with the trees, MJ convinced me to look at them all more closely. Today I went to storage and checked my three remaining Cheboygen Crib Lighthouses more closely. To my surprise all three were broken or showing hairline cracks. I then checked the one that I had put in the curio, which also had cracks. This first image shows cracks in my curio piece (#167) which I had not noticed when I placed it there:

This next image shows my next higher Cheboygen Crib #168 with a fracture. You can see the pieces that came from the tree, next to the tree. The foam (which I had not removed when I first received these ‘extra’ pieces) was actually wrapped very tightly around the trees:

Both #209 and #212 (below) show cracks where the trees have begun to fracture. I truly believe that this was caused by the person who wrapped the foam around the trees and stuffed the end of the foam back in behind itself (between the trees and the foam encircling the trees). It is like they used their finger to push it down in behind the other foam with great force.:

I will be placing a call to Harbour Lights to see if they tell me the same thing as they told Rick. I agree with Dave that Harbour Lights should have recalled the entire batch due to the extent of the problem.

Thanks again to you Forum Friends for making me take a closer look. If it weren’t for you, I would have damaged goods waiting in storage. Who knows when they would have been inspected more closely.

Ron
(CT Keeper)

Ron
(CT Keeper)
Re: Broken Cheboygan Reunion Pieces #187578 01/09/06 01:12 AM
MrsTLC Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Considering all of the problems with this piece, I agree they should all be recalled and we should all be given new pieces. Even if we can't find cracks now they could show up at a later time I'm sure. It would also be nice if this is corrected by HL's that they also correct the mis-spelled word "REUHION" be correctly spelled REUNION. Should we all be sending letters and email to HL's or wait to see what they come up with first?

Ruthie
"Where words fail, Music speaks"
Re: Broken Cheboygan Reunion Pieces #187579 01/09/06 02:14 AM
beachcomber Offline
In another thread about this, I expressed concern that there may be hairline cracks which we are not seeing and which eventually will become bigger - after it's too late for replacement - and I wondered about a recall. Now that so many problems have surfaced, maybe we should make a concerted effort to get HL to recall this piece. In that same post I expressed concern that HL has not notified all the attendees who purchased this piece. The letter they promised has not been forthcoming. I agree that purchasers who are not forums members may have no idea that there is a problem for which they should be looking. I'm sure a lot of folks did like Ron and others - they put their extras away without checking them extensively or not at all.

beachcomber
Re: Broken Cheboygan Reunion Pieces #187580 01/09/06 04:19 PM
R
rgurskey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
R
My Cheboygan Crib is much like Ron's second photo except I have two chips out of the trunk. I thought about gluing them back in but my eyesight and hand-eye coordination isn't what it used to be.

Robert

Re: Broken Cheboygan Reunion Pieces #187581 01/09/06 05:18 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Well folks,

I finally went and bought a magnifying glass. Out of three purchases, two are broken. So at least I can keep one.

Do you think that Harbour LIghts will reimburse me for the magnifying glass? confused

bobo

Re: Broken Cheboygan Reunion Pieces #187582 01/09/06 05:22 PM
Shortcake Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Ruthie, I totally agree with you!

Quote:
It would also be nice if this is corrected by HL's that they also correct the mis-spelled word "REUHION" be correctly spelled REUNION.
I don't normally complain about anything that HL does. And I understand that mastakes happen. But I am not happy with the misspelling, and I think that if they are going to recall all the pieces and reissue that they should correct the spelling while they are at it!

After all this is a very special piece and HL goes to the extremes to make sure that every piece is correct in every way. They should also make sure that the spelling is correct too. This piece is one very special to me, one that I can say "I was there". But I was at the Reunion, not at Reuhion. frown

Though I suspect that it's too late already to correct. Because as I understand it the replacements are already on the way.

Stephanie

Re: Broken Cheboygan Reunion Pieces #187583 01/09/06 06:36 PM
Tom and Joyce Abbott Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
We finally took the time for a closer inspection of our three lighthouses. Initially they all looked good. The closer inspection revealed a stress fracture on the large tree on one and the other has a stress fracture on the small tree. Also found out where the "green chips" came from - the underside of the large tree.
We sent an e-mail to Harbour Lights a few minutes ago and have already received a response. We have to destroy frown the two damaged pieces and send Harbour Lights a small chip from each. They will be replaced before the end of January.

Tom & Joyce
Re: Broken Cheboygan Reunion Pieces #187584 01/09/06 07:21 PM
Cana Fan Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I suspect that if everyone were to closly check theirs, a majority of them, if not ALL are bad.

Mike

Re: Broken Cheboygan Reunion Pieces #187585 01/09/06 10:29 PM
A
Alisa Offline
A
I am so glad I checked this thread! My friends piece is broken and I inspected mine after reading this..and sure enough! Both trees have cracks in the trunks! I am emailing HL now. Thanks everyone!

Re: Broken Cheboygan Reunion Pieces #187586 01/10/06 12:52 AM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Thanks Paul (and Ron) for posting pictures of what to look for on the stress fractures. Initially, I looked at mine and thought they were fine but now I see where there are cracks on both pieces. I just re-looked at my extra piece and now see green chips of paint in the box along with the small tree cracked.

Do we all need to respond to Harbour Lights directly or is there going to be some format posted on what to do with replacing the broken pieces?

BTW...I agree with everyone else saying that HL should just recall the entire piece. Maybe we could get a correct spelling on "reunion" and get rid of the "cheesy" flag on a new piece.

Re: Broken Cheboygan Reunion Pieces #187587 01/10/06 02:16 AM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Lori, you need to call or email Harbour Lights your information (name and numbers)just like the Abbott's did. Then send Harbour Lights a piece of a tree off of each piece with your information and they will replace them.

Re: Broken Cheboygan Reunion Pieces #187588 01/10/06 02:23 AM
JJ Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Sounds like the rare piece is going to be an undamaged original issue of this light.

Re: Broken Cheboygan Reunion Pieces #187589 01/10/06 06:17 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Just received this note from Kim who asked me to post it and pass it along:

Quote:
I have just come from a meeting with my parents and Harry, where we unanimously agreed to do a 100% replacement of the entire Cheboygan Crib Reunion Piece edition.

It’s Murphy’s Law, I guess, that our last piece, and one of the most rare and important of the year, be the one with problems!

But, as is our promise, and as has been our policy from the very beginning, we have decided that the best solution is to completely replace the entire edition with new pieces, free of weakness or defect…even free of spelling errors!

We will not ask for your original pieces in return, you may keep or destroy them at your option. We will produce the 529 pieces again and they will be delivered here to El Cajon, where Bill, Nancy and Kim will all sign them prior to shipping.

We will honor the numbering as we did on the first run, and ship them as soon as we possibly can.

I would estimate that they will be ready to ship to your homes in May. I know that seems like an awfully long wait, but with Chinese New Year just around the corner, it’s better to be safe than sorry.

We sure enjoyed seeing ya’ll in Michigan…wasn’t that the perfect week on Mackinac Island? We look forward to seeing you at our in-store and Regional events in the coming months!

Thanks for Keeping the Flame,

Kim Andrews
Chief Executive Officer
Younger & Associates

Re: Broken Cheboygan Reunion Pieces #187590 01/10/06 06:20 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint

Moderated by  JJ 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,429 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users