rscroope Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Previously
Bob & MaryAnn\'s Michigan/Reunion Lighthouse Adventure Days 1&2 w/ photos

Bob & MaryAnn\'s Michigan/Reunion Lighthouse Adventure Days 3&4 w/ photos

Wednesday Day 5 Reunion 3rd Day
Buffet breakfast is good, And we're off to the seminars. We stop in to paint a White Shoal and get lucky enough to try and assemble a Hilton Head Rear Range. MaryAnn and I team up at a back table. I take the tower and she takes the trees. After several reassembles our piece is done but not w/o borrowing a tool fronm Ric to even out the green tower rods. Opps, I'm late for Terry Pepper's talk. I catch the last 20 minutes which was great. Harry and Company is next and shows us how a little light is made. 3 lucky people are selected from the audience by raffle, and get to make a piece. The answer to all those questions over the years. Someone should have videotaped it.
Buffet lunch with chicken and beef pasties. Delicious.
Now off to the dock for our Western Cruise. The numbers are reversed but I'm able to find upper deck seats with the crew. We'll see Spectacle Reef today which is 19 miles out, and not on the regular route. So I'll have some unique photos that only 400 other people will have, LOL The Lake again is like glass, and the perfect weather continues. Bois Blanc Island lighthouse was first, we had someone on board who was very close to the light and gave us the background. A boarded up island light on the point of the Island.

Then off to Spectacle Reef. Couldn't get to close but that new lens pays off big time.

Now back to Poe Reef, a boxy New London Ledge style light.

Fourteen Foot Shoal another short unique tower which extends from the center of the roof of the building on the platform.

Our last stop is back to Cheyboygan where we see the Crib, River Range (see Day 2) and the Mackinaw from the water, all and all a very nice cruise.

We also passed up close and personal to a freighter.

These guys did a great job, and as someone who has run, and been on dozens of cruises Schepler's is "first class".
Tonight's the final dinner, and we hurry to get ready. Dinner is prime rib or a chicken selection. All the clubs are interviewed about their activities, and I get to put my plug in for the Long Island Chapter of the USLHS. The Long Island Challenge and the Cedar Island Restoration was the focus of my talk. The many people at the Reunion who attended the Challenge all cheered when I asked them if they had a good time. Kim Younger added what a good job we did on the oil house, and the need to repair Cedar Island. Off to Wayne for his final performance. The crowd was close to 75 by the time we did our nightly rendition of 'Bald Guys'. I was sitting next to a collector who went back to his room to get a video camera to tape \'the Wacko Song\' . Wayne did an encore at the end, and it lived up to our anticipation as we gave Wayne a "standing O'.

Thursday Day 6 Reunion Bill's Breakfast
Final Day! I go over early to the breakfast, and help the crew and Youngers set up for the Auction, Reunion drawing and the Lighthouse Fundraising Drawing. There are 3 Coquilles, a white tip CH1, a CH2, whiteware, photos, paintings, and many other rare or unique prizes. This was going to top the Baltimore breakfast. I secured a table for the Gang, and we waited for the event to start. They started with the Reunion drawing, and the the opportunity drawing. My luck continued as I won a CH2, oh my! Tons of money was bid on the Auction. More than Baltimore which had twice as many attendees, reported Dave. Lighthouse will benefit greatly from the generousity! Also, some clubs have requested to donate their share to the Katrina Hurricane victims.
We say our goodbyes at the Breakfast to the Gang. Walk outside and get into our picture with the NELL club. Everyone was heading out but we have another day at Mission Point. A very smart move.
We brought our stuff back to our room. And walked into town for some tourist stuff. We met our friends again at the lobby and then again at the ferry. So got to say several goodbyes. That made it a lot easier.
We had lunch outside on the veranda at the Iroquis Hotel overlooking the Harbour and the two Round Island lighthouse. As we ate, kites filled the sky from the adjacent park. We picked up a couple of 'Mac Island' t-shirts, and went back to the Great Lawn to relax. Then we popped into the pool, and hung out until supper enjoying the beautiful day. We went back to the outdoor restauraunt that we started at the first night for our last dinner, and was served by a Polish Girl who we became fast friends with. After dinner, we met Dave, Sue, Heather, Patty and Mike for a drink at Wayne's show but spent more time talking to them than listening to the Show. Bubba looked tired but satisfied that he pulled off a successful Reunion!
And he did with a little help from his devoted crew! We all called it a night early. What a week!

Friday Day 7
Up early to catch the 8:30 ferry. Rumors flying about $4 a gallon gas. I just hoping there's no shortage or lines on the way to Chicago. The Ferry on time, and I'm greeted by the staff. "More LH people."
On the boat we're told to expect 4-6 foot waves. I hope no ones on top. We hunker down for a disney thrill ride across the Strait. At one point it feels like we're in a cigar boat as we navigate the sea. Waves crashing over the side cover the windows. Are we in a submarine? Only a 15 minute trip so it was more fun than worry. We arrive on shore and our bags and car are waiting. It's no coincidence that they call these guys 'cast members ala Disney'. We're off to get gas, see Mackinaw LH and get some breakfast. Mackinaw is nicer than expected. It's not open yet but I'm able to do a 360.

Now to find McGillips. With little direction, I rode along the shore and gave up quickly. Got gas at 3.39 and a bakery referral for coffee and a couissant. Roll? They had no idea! Tea biscuit? lol
Off again along the western coast w/o going out on any long excursions. Got to be in Holland tonight!

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Bob & MaryAnn Mich/Reunion Days 5-7 w/ Photos #187553 09/15/05 11:56 AM
rscroope Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Two more digitals added.

LONG ISLAND BOB

Moderated by  JJ 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 900 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users