Print Thread
More Sun Pillar Images #187173 03/11/02 02:55 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The photo below is one taken just as the sun pillar that I've posted before was beginning to develop. At the time this was shot, I was considerably further to the right of the north pier at South Haven, which put the sun pillar to the left of the lighthouse. I'm not sure why, but this particular image invokes a mental image of the light of Mordor in the Lord of the Rings casting an evil glow on the thick dark clouds overhead... I guess we'll have to see what they do in the 3rd installment of the movie version of the Trilogy in a couple of years, but, in the meantime...

At the other end of the event... after the sun pillar was starting to fade, I line up so that it was directly behind the lighthouse to give a reddish "halo." Remember the line... "lions, and tigers, and bears, oh my?" That line invoked a title in my mind of Purple and Red and Yellow, Oh My! for whatever that's worth...

[This message has been edited by lighthouse_photo (edited 03-11-2002).]

Re: More Sun Pillar Images #187174 03/11/02 03:18 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Just amazing, Gary. This may be my favorite GM photo yet.

Re: More Sun Pillar Images #187175 03/11/02 03:41 AM
1of3trees@prodigy.net Offline
As I already told Gary, John, as nice as these are, they're not in my list of favorites of his. The sun pillar one he calls "Bonfire" is currently my top favorite, then there's a great sunrise one of his taken of Sturgeon Point in Door County, Wisconsin that's next (a print of which was part of my Christmas gift from him and is hanging on my work cube wall) and my 3rd favorite out of my top 3 favorites is one of the Pigeon Point, CA ones that he recently posted to one of the threads here. That one I have a big one hanging on the wall next to the computer on the other side of my house where I do my slide scanning and printing some of my photos, and then I have a smaller one hanging on my work cube wall! As to favorites below those 3, that would be virtually impossible for me to say!!!

Terry (Only my mother, brothers & sisters call me Teresa) Forrest
Re: More Sun Pillar Images #187176 03/11/02 11:17 PM
W
WisKeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
W
Yesterday I saw a sun pillar as the sun was setting! I was so surprised. I had never seen one before, or noticed that I had seen one before. I only wished I had something interesting in the foreground, such as a lighthouse. It disappeared before I reached home, so wasn't able to try to photograph it.

Suzanne Murphy

[This message has been edited by Suzanne Murphy (edited 03-11-2002).]

Suzanne Murphy
President, Wisconsin Lighthouse District (WILD)
Re: More Sun Pillar Images #187177 03/11/02 11:42 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That's so neat, Suzanne! Glad you got a chance to see one yourself and it's a shame you didn't have a camera with you. I count myself to be unbelievably lucky to have been photographing the afternoon at South Haven the day these shots were taken! A once in a lifetime experience as far as I'm concerned and I'm delighted to be able to share the photos here with everyone on the HL forums.

Re: More Sun Pillar Images #187178 03/12/02 02:50 AM
W
WisKeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
W
The above photos are stunning!

Suzanne

Suzanne Murphy
President, Wisconsin Lighthouse District (WILD)

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,414 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users