Print Thread
Lighthouses seen on the way to Brickworld #186259 07/16/09 02:54 PM
R
rgurskey Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
R
In June, a friend and I attended the Brickworld Lego convention in Wheeling, IL. just northwest of Chicago. We visited a few lighthouses along the way.

As I mentioned elsewhere, we took the self-guided tour of Old Michigan City. Saw some familar names on the spiral staircase leading to the lantern room.

I shot the Michigan City pier light from the seawall of the waterway near OMC. I also walked around the marina and shot from the other side, but I like this image better. It was overcast and a little foggy over the water.

In Chicago I really wanted to visit Navy Pier and see the Chicago Harbor lighthouse. The Chicago Harbor Southeast Guidewall lighthouse is just across the way from Navy Pier, probably about 200 feet. Does anyone know if is possible to walk out to this lighthouse?

We then took a 30 minute sightseeing cruise around Chicago Harbor. Somewhat foggy which really ruined looking at the Chicago skyline. The cruise boat did pass fairly close to the Chicago Harbor lighthouse but didn't go out past the lighthouse into Lake Michigan. Perhaps other cruises do. (There were about ten cruise ships offering water tours.)

During the cruise, one of the Chicago crib lights was faintly visible through the fog, but it isn't really visible in any of my photographs.

Because of car trouble later in the trip, we were not able to visit the Grosse Point Lighthouse or the Waukegan Harbor Lighthouse. Perhaps another time.

Re: Lighthouses seen on the way to Brickworld #186260 07/16/09 11:54 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Not sure if you can walk out to the Chicago Guidewall Light. Would be a nice view of Navy Pier from over there. Too bad you weren't able to make it to Grosse Pointe. A beautiful setting and light.

Thanks for sharing your photos.

Re: Lighthouses seen on the way to Brickworld #186261 07/17/09 11:00 AM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Nice pics !!!

Any photo's from the Lego convention?

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Lighthouses seen on the way to Brickworld #186262 07/17/09 02:24 PM
R
rgurskey Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
R
My photos from the Brickworld convention can be found here . Lots more from other people can be found on Flickr by searching for Brickworld.

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,208 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users