Print Thread
Comet NcNaught #186253 01/13/07 04:20 AM
W
WisKeeper Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
W
Did anyone get a photo of Comet NcNaught?

Photo Gallery: http://skytonight.com/community/gallery/skyevents/5129766.html

If you live in the Northern Hemisphere, January 12th is your last good opportunity to catch Comet McNaught in the evening twilight — though January 13th isn't completely out of the question. After that, Comet McNaught will become a target for observers in the Southern Hemisphere.

The comet is already too low for reasonable viewing at the end of civil twilight, so your best bet is to start looking immediately after sunset. Start scanning with binoculars immediately above the spot where the Sun disappeared, and then move slightly to the right as time passes. While you're at it, see how soon you can pick up Venus. If you can find the exact right spot, it should be visible to the unaided eye as soon as the Sun is gone.

On the evening of January 14th, observers at mid-southern latitudes may see the comet emerge very low in the sky immediately after sunset right next to the planet Mercury. This conjunction should be impressive but tricky to observe. Every evening after that the comet will climb rapidly higher, as shown at right, and soon it will be visible in a fully dark sky. But the comet is likely to be fading rapidly as well. http://skytonight.com/observing/5157217.html

Suzanne Murphy
President, Wisconsin Lighthouse District (WILD)
Re: Comet NcNaught #186254 01/13/07 02:33 PM
Mark Wagner Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I had been looking all week, I had clear skies 2 mornings and 2 evenings this week, all 4 times I had a good view of the horizon, but apparently not good enough to see the comet. I knew where to look but just could not see it. I think an ideal location would have been a high spot looking over a large body of water to insure the lowest horizon, such as the hill overlooking lake Michigan at St. Joseph, MI. in the evening.

Mark

Re: Comet NcNaught #186255 01/13/07 05:27 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
..And might you be making a road trip this afternoon, Mark? Are you using binoculars?

Re: Comet NcNaught #186256 01/13/07 06:43 PM
Mark Wagner Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
No.

The comet is just about directly to the side of the sun right now, and if is visible at all after sunset it would only be a couple minutes at best after that then it is below the horizon too. It is currently visible during the day. It is heading towards the sun and expected to vaporize as is get's too close. If I am understanding the story's right it will only be visible at night in the southern hemisphere after it passes the line between us and the sun.

Re: Comet NcNaught #186257 01/14/07 05:40 PM
buoyhunter_190 Offline
No - I heard about it but it was cloudy the entire time.

Re: Comet NcNaught #186258 01/15/07 04:07 PM
W
WisKeeper Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
W
Northern Hemisphere - DAYTIME COMET: Comet McNaught is now visible in broad daylight. "It's fantastic," reports Wayne Winch of Bishop, California. "I put the sun behind a neighbor's house to block the glare and the comet popped right into view. You can even see the tail."

This trick is best performed around local noon: Go outside and stand in the shadow of a building. Face south. The comet lies about six degrees to the left of the sun: finder chart.

You may not see anything at first, but don't give up. Scan the blue sky until your eyes alight upon the comet. Once seen, you'll wonder how you could've missed it.

Be Careful - Direct sunlight through binoculars can cause permanent eye damage.

More photos http://www.spaceweather.com/comets/gallery_mcnaught_page8.htm

Suzanne Murphy
President, Wisconsin Lighthouse District (WILD)

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (DANIEL, Rock), 1,573 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users