cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
South Haven Twilight Photos #185813 03/15/02 06:55 PM
1of3trees@prodigy.net Offline OP
OP Offline
The difference I guess between sunset and twilight photos might be a matter of interpretation. I'm not quite sure, but I tend to agree with Gary that sunset photos are those taken when the sun is in the process of setting while twilight photos are those taken after the sun has set. This is one of those.

Gary or John, am I allowed to post my contest entry, "Abstract By Twilight" here now that the contest results are out? I don't see that anything is going to be done to show the names of the photographers who took the remaining photos that didn't win any place in the contest and I kind of want people to know that I took that unique abstract lighthouse photo.

Terry (Only my mother, brothers & sisters call me Teresa) Forrest
Re: South Haven Twilight Photos #185814 03/15/02 07:27 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Absolutely, Terry. I did like that one also.

Re: South Haven Twilight Photos #185815 03/15/02 11:17 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Absolutely, Terry!

Re: South Haven Twilight Photos #185816 03/15/02 11:23 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
One of the many photos that fascinates me is catching a wave breaking at sunset/sunrise with the warm light of the morning or evening lighting the wave. This ends up being a tough shot to take because of the need to freeze the wave, which requires a high shutter speed, coupled with the low light levels that normally mandate a slower shutter speed. I haven't pulled this shot off too many times, but one of them, taken at South Haven just before the sun set, making this a sunset shot rather than a twilight shot, is below.

[This message has been edited by lighthouse_photo (edited 03-15-2002).]

Re: South Haven Twilight Photos #185817 03/16/02 02:44 AM
1of3trees@prodigy.net Offline OP
OP Offline
Okay, here goes! This is my pride and joy of all my lighthouse photos and it came out as well as it did by, I would say, a lucky accident. You can never be sure what will result if you've ever tried anything like this before. It happened when I picked up and moved my tripod during a long exposure. It was already fairly well finished on the exposure but that little bit that wasn't created this abstract effect with the lights on the catwalk. Even though, it didn't win anything in this contest, it was a 2-day Photo of the Day on the website, www.photoblink.com, back in September when I posted it; the first day almost an entire Photo of the Day except for a couple 20 minute periods when a couple other photos went up temporarily. The 2nd day it went back up about 9 p.m. and remained there until midnight. It was taken on Sept. 10th when I was photographing with Gary and was my first experience with taking twilight photos, long exposures, among my 1st ones using slide film, so I'm pretty pleased with it!

Terry (Only my mother, brothers & sisters call me Teresa) Forrest

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,251 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users