cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Photographing the MOONSET! #185734 09/05/02 09:46 PM
Gary Martin Offline OP
OP Offline
The next full moon will be September 21st. As it turns out, a couple members of the forum, Bill Taylor and Terry Forrest, will be here in Michigan that week shooting the lights and other things with me. Those inclined to be up very early in the morning with a clear western horizon like along the eastern shore of Lake Michigan and Pacific Coast among others, may have an opportunity to photograph the full moon as it sets. It should be still high enough in the sky (assuming that there isn't a layer of fog/haze over whatever body of water you're shooting along) to catch the warm predawn light through the earth's shadow causing it to go somewhere from rosy pink or orangish if we're lucky. I'm planning, along with a couple of other photographers, to shoot the moonset somewhere along Lake Michigan the morning of the 22nd, obviously, with a lighthouse in the foreground!

I hope some of the rest of you will get to try this shot as well. You'll want to be shooting more or less west north west so plan to be south of whatever lighthouse or whatever else you want in the foreground of your photo when you set up your shot if you try this.

Good luck... as always, if the weather man cooperates, I'll post something here if I get some goodies from that early morning shoot!

Gary

Re: Photographing the MOONSET! #185735 09/06/02 12:28 AM
W
WisKeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
W
I am looking forward to your Moon/Lighthouse pictures! I have a calendar in my office of moon pictures and another two calendars of lighthouses. Theres an idea - a Lighthouse/Moon calendar would be wonderful!

I look forward to the photos because I cannot even see a clear moon any more when I go outside and look into the sky. I have too much astigmatism.

Suzanne

Suzanne Murphy
President, Wisconsin Lighthouse District (WILD)
Re: Photographing the MOONSET! #185736 09/20/02 08:38 AM
Gary Martin Offline OP
OP Offline
Well, all things considered, it doesn't look like the weatherman is going to cooperate this month. I was up at 4 AM today and was tentatively thinking about a quick run to the lake to photograph the moonset at South Haven but there was just a bright spot in the clouds.... oh well... back to bed!

They're calling for the same overnight tonight here in SW Michigan, Bud, so if you want to come over to photograph with Terry, Bill and me, you're more than welcome, but if you're thinking of running over predominantly to shoot the moonset, you might want to watch the weather very late tonight.

Gary

Re: Photographing the MOONSET! #185737 09/20/02 07:43 PM
B
Bud Schrader Offline
Wacko
Wacko
B
Gary, the weather channel looked like things may get better after this front- if you can post here tonite or in the morning to let me know from there? I wanted to leave in the morning . Thanks

Bud
Re: Photographing the MOONSET! #185738 09/21/02 02:00 AM
Gary Martin Offline OP
OP Offline
Hey Bud,
I just got home from picking up Terry Forrest up in Grand Rapids this evening. The sky is completely clouded over at the moment and the moon can't be seen. I talked with Bill Taylor about 45 min ago and he said that the weather channel is calling for it to clear overnight tonight. I'm beat and I know Terry is... missed flights... so although we'll be out at South Haven later in the day tomorrow, I'm not going out for the moonset.

Gary

Re: Photographing the MOONSET! #185739 09/21/02 08:33 AM
Gary Martin Offline OP
OP Offline
Well, no moonset to photograph here in SW Mich this morning frown frown frown frown frown frown I was up at 5 AM to let my dogs out for a run... couldn't even see the moon because of the clouds... just a brighter spot in the west and that was it. Maybe tomorrow morning or next month....

Gary

Re: Photographing the MOONSET! #185740 09/21/02 12:00 PM
ktamlin Offline
Gary

Are you still planning on being at St. Joe tonight?

John

John & Karen
Re: Photographing the MOONSET! #185741 09/21/02 12:26 PM
B
Bud Schrader Offline
Wacko
Wacko
B
well, a glitch here, a few things came up and I just couldn't get into driving all the way up by myself, so maybe next time?

Bud
Re: Photographing the MOONSET! #185742 11/16/02 10:49 PM
1of3trees@prodigy.net Offline
John and Karen: are you the two people Bill and I met at St. Joe when we were with Gary to photograph the sunset? Hope you got some good photos if so!

Terry (Only my mother, brothers & sisters call me Teresa) Forrest

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,980
Posts184,642
Members2,583
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rock), 876 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
coloradolights, PortageRivrLight, DenizensofDeep, Rtubbs, SafeHarbor
2583 Registered Users