Next Thread
Print Thread
Update on Washington Trip As of 4/16/05 #185356 04/17/05 05:05 AM
Jenifer Selwa Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Hi gang!

We made it ok to Seattle vicinity. Nice flight in and already adjusted to the time change (three hours)! Thursday was spent lounging around and visiting with my sister. Friday rained all day, so we went downtown Seattle to Pike Place market for shopping. Today, it was also supposed to rain all day, so I took my chances with the weather and drove south to Cannon Beach and Ecola State Park. By 11am, the rain stopped and the sun came out the rest of the day with HUGE cumulous clouds. Boy, was I ever blessed!

On my way through Astoria, Oregon, I was fortunate enough to see a USCG helicopter doing a training exercice. He was hovering less than 100 foot above the water dropping guys out on a rope into the water for search and rescue training. On top of it, I managed to have a 1000' international freigter as a backdrop. WOW.

I also did hit North Head, Cape Disappointment, and Gray's Harbor along with Tillamook today. When I got to Cape Disappointment, I got drenched by a 15 minute passing shower. Then, the sun came back out and I got that wonderful contrasty lighting of the lighthouse against the dark storm sky. And to top it off, another freighter coming in from the Orient was passing by on it's way in through the Columbia River mouth right in front of Cape Disappointment. Boy, more good shots.

I rounded off the day at Gray's Harbor at sunset with more nice shots. Almost 400 miles and a tank of gas. Sorry to disappoint you all, but I can't post images until I get home as I shoot everything in RAW and all of my software is on my home computer - I'm using my sister's.

Planning on the Seattle area lights for Tuesday, San Juan Island with Friday Harbor and more lights on Wednesday. Oregon coastline Thursday and Friday. In between, going to hit Mount Rainier, Olympic National Park, and several waterfalls.

More to come!

Re: Update on Washington Trip As of 4/16/05 #185357 04/17/05 10:47 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
We will patiently await your photos, Jen. It's always a pleasure when the background cooperates and offers something different to the pic.

Sounds like you are getting a lot of lighthousing in!

smile Bob smile

Re: Update on Washington Trip As of 4/16/05 #185358 04/17/05 12:10 PM
Don M Offline
Jen,
Make time to go see Admirality Head at Fort Casey, which is located on Whidbey Island. You can get there by taking the ferry from Mukilteo, which is located a half block from Mukilteo Lighthouse. Enjoy Friday Harbor. Lime Kiln is one of our favorites. We saw our first whale pod on our first visit there.
Don M smile

Don M

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Dave H, Rock), 1,544 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users