Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Right Place, Right Time - but not the same time... #185227 03/06/07 01:49 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Over in the other thread, we're praising the glory of being in the right place at the right time.

Like most everyone, I too love those blue-sky, white cloud moments when a lighthouse just looks the 'best'.

Then I remember that lighthouses' primary function got more important the more difficult the weather became.

Sure, as a day-mark on a fair-weather day, the in-bound Captain could feel comfortable knowing he was where he knew he was! Anyone could do it under those conditions.

But when the waves were rough, the winds high and the skies darkened by storm clouds scudding low across a starless sky, THAT was the time when those Captains were probably thanking God the loudest for lighthouses and lightkeepers.

So... How about some lighthouse photos on stormy days and stormy nights? Lighthouses in the rain? Lighthouses with lightning in the sky?

Anybody got pictures of lighthouses working hardest of all?

Re: Right Place, Right Time - but not the same time... #185228 03/06/07 10:38 AM
Grover Offline
John ...

We started that discussion back a few threads in the one titled "which Nova Scotia lighthouse?"

Quote:
The Chetticamp Area of Nova Scotia was just one of the most ruggedly beautiful areas I have ever seen ... kind of "more Maine than Maine" and on top of that, it was such a raw, cold, rainy day that day ... sometimes ... maybe most times ... so much better than the bright sunny days and blue skies if you want the true feel of "lighthousing"

(Well, maybe NOT the rain!)
I dont want to parse here ... we all know the purpose of the lighthouse ... but that 550 shot wasnt the "blue sky, white cloud" moment ... It was that "tweener time" ... even momentarily the pre "blue hour" that some photgraphers crave ... when the lamp first comes on ... when you audibly hear it switch on ... the pervading feeling of reassuarnce that still one more night that follows passing ships have that guiding light ...

Nowhere has that feeling been stronger than the last time ... about two and a half years ago ... when down on the Outer Banks ... and being at Bodie pre dusk when that monster lamp lights. Not
quite a relgious experience, but nontheless somewhat awing both visually and aurally ...

"Wisdom and Strength are NOT opposing values"

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,980
Posts184,642
Members2,583
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,691 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
coloradolights, PortageRivrLight, DenizensofDeep, Rtubbs, SafeHarbor
2583 Registered Users