cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Tybee Island Lighthouse #185054 04/05/03 12:15 AM
Gary Martin Offline OP
OP Offline
Last weekend I had to go to Savannah, GA on business. The trip gave me the opportunity to do a little photography in my spare time while I was there and now the first of the Low Country Lighthouse photo galleries, one devoted to sunrise shots taken at Tybee Island Tuesday morning before I flew home, has been uploaded to my website. Here's the URL to the new photo gallery:

http://www.coastalbeacons.com/atlanticcoastgallery/LowCountry/Tybee/tybee.htm

Here's teaser for you. This shot of the Fresnel lens in the lantern room at Tybee Island with the sunrise refracting in the prisms of the Fresnel lens was shot at 300 mm on Furi Provia 100F slide film with my Nikon N90 propped on a fencepost to steady it. The camera was attached to a minipod whose legs I was holding flush against the fencepost. That's a technique that has served me well over the years when I haven't had one of my regular Bogen tripods with me. A minipod is easy to toss in a suitcase or bag so I always have one of those along wherever I go.

There will be at least one more Tybee Island gallery coming, maybe 2 more, I haven't decided yet. There will also be galleries for Hunting Island, SC and St Simon's Island, GA coming, along with a few miscellaneous shots of the lighthouses at Harbour Town on Hilton Head Island and the little abandoned Cockspur Island lighthouse in GA.

I hope you enjoy these as they're added.

Gary

Re: Tybee Island Lighthouse #185055 04/05/03 02:03 AM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Gary,

Did you get a chance to get down to the Emmet Park by the river?

Did you get to see the Beacon Range Light?

There is also a monument to the "Waving Lady" who was the daughter of one of the Keeper's at Cockspur who was known for waving to all of the ships that went by her cottage?

Also right near that monument is a plaque for the Summer Olympics (the Boating Events were based in Savannah).

Looking forward to more of your fine photos.

Dennis

Re: Tybee Island Lighthouse #185056 04/05/03 02:26 AM
Gary Martin Offline OP
OP Offline
Dennis, I blew it on Emmet park and the range light. I printed off the article you were kind enough to give me the link to and left it here at home. frown Dumb!!! I saw the monument to the waving lady and the olypic boating event but between foggy and rainy mornings, didn't get shots of either. I've got a reason now though to go back to Savannah at some point. I also want to get out to Sapelo Island to photograph there and didn't make it on this trip.

Gary

Re: Tybee Island Lighthouse #185057 04/05/03 03:21 AM
Gary Martin Offline OP
OP Offline
OK, multiple scans later... and Tybee2 is partially done. The image description pages aren't finished and the new gallery isn't linked properly back to the rest of the site yet, but if you want a sneak preview... here's the link:

http://www.coastalbeacons.com/atlanticcoastgallery/LowCountry/Tybee2/tybee2.htm

Have fun....

Gary

Re: Tybee Island Lighthouse #185058 04/07/03 12:27 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Great pictures Gary... I have always enjoyed your work! Thanks for sharing!

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,208 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users