cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
South Haven July meeting? #184549 06/24/02 12:51 PM
Handyman Offline OP
OP Offline
Hey Everybody!

I've been having a lot of trouble posting this message, so bear with me if it appears 10 times. I'm going to be on vacation in South Haven next month. Our forum leader Gary has generously agreed to meet and show off his technique a bit. This would most likely take place Saturday July 13 and/or Sunday the 14th. Any takers? I'd say judging from his shots you had better be prepared to get up early and stay up late! See Gary's work at www.coastalbeacons.com for pics of South Haven.

So anyone else want to come out? I won't have a car, but I imagine it would be an easy trip to get to St. Joes or Holland for those inclined. I'm a guest at a house someone is renting for the week in South Haven. I should be able to arrange the use of a grill for burgers, hot dogs and whatever. So if you have some extra film around, load up and we'll see you there. Might as well bring prints and slides to show off too, if you like. More details will appear here as the day approaches...

Chris

[This message has been edited by Hanifich (edited 06-24-2002).]

Re: South Haven July meeting? #184550 06/24/02 03:27 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm not sure about the get up early part of Chris' invitation... sunrise photography along the eastern shore of Lake M generally speaking isn't all that great. The best time to photograph in the morning is probly around 6:30-8 this time of year when the sun is still at a low angle. If we were over in Door County (like later this week for any wacko crazy enough to get up that early) it would me being out the door around 4:30 AM to be in position for the predawn light!

On the other end of the day, definitely be prepared to stay LATE! I generally shoot long after sunset. It's sort of a standing joke among my photographer friends that I generally get serious about shooting when everyone else is packing up their stuff to go home, to the charcoal grill, bar, or whatever. Generally speaking, on a clear evening, I'll shoot as late as 45 to 60 min after the sun has gone below the horizon. Yes, believe it or not, there is still usable light that late even if your eye doesn't see it. Film has a cumulative "photon experience" that lets it record those faint colors, usually in the red color range, that the eye has trouble with when the light is very faint.

Anyway I hope some of the folks that live here in SW Mich/NW Indiana or wherever will come out. I'll be there!

Gary

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 620 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users