cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
thuppp, thuppp, thuppp, thuppp, thuppp........ #184461 11/03/02 12:46 AM
Gary Martin Offline OP
OP Offline
Know what that sound is?

I do, it's the sound of a big wave running along the side of the pier at St. Joe's this afternoon. They were running about 7 feet today. Unfortunately coming pretty much out of the west which didn't make for great explosions of spray on the end of the pier, but there were some good ones.

Know what came after that sound????

OH $#|+ !!!!!!!

That was me getting soaked from the waist down when a particularly big one came across the pier after me! Pictures to come as soon as I get the slides back!

Too bad you weren't there to photograph the ceremonial photo dunking, John! I'm sure that would have been a classic!!!

Gary

Re: thuppp, thuppp, thuppp, thuppp, thuppp........ #184462 11/03/02 01:16 AM
JWB Offline
Sorry man, I was rolling when I read through your ordeal. The funny thing was that I had a pretty good idea what you were talking about just from the Title. When the water hits those gaps it sounds like a runaway car with a flat tire.

In Ferrysburg, 11/1, I had to jump a small river of return water from waves over the pier in order to find safe ground. I was standing on the edge of this mammoth stone right next one of the guardrails, hearing that sound, watching with my left eye, wondering if that wave was the one that would get me. Those waves just Cruise through the channels and they can pack a punch. A year ago, about this time, some buffoon cameraman from channel 8 walks onto the pier to video the waves. I tell ya what, one of the waves sent water about 2 feet high acrossed the pier and took out his knees like a Denver Bronco Offensive Lineman. I was all set to add him to the Darwin Awards, but he got up and walked away.

Sounds like the weather was a little rough, hope the pictures came out well.

JB

Re: thuppp, thuppp, thuppp, thuppp, thuppp........ #184463 11/20/02 01:37 AM
JWB Offline
Here is a shot I took during the last series of storms. Thats blurred water (f-stop 22) rushing over the caution sign at the very beginning of the pier near where I was standing. The sign reads.... Caution Waves flood surface during storms and rough seas... I wasn't happy with the way these turned out, but you get the point.

Happy shooting all.
JB

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Rock, Dave H), 1,337 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users