Print Thread
Bud vs. Michigan Weather! #184394 03/10/02 01:36 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
OK, here's the weather report today for the Lake Michigan shore and Bud's visit.... 8 AM, rainy and windy in Kalamazoo.... Out to St. Joe's.... raining much harder and much windier... temp of about 55. Up to South Haven... windy, but no big waves... bummer! Quick visit to Holland and then on to Grand Haven, which Bud said was one of his favorite lights! Little did we know what was coming!!! Still windier and still 55 degrees with rain starting to pick up. We stayed there for about an hour and both of us shot the lights and there were spectacular waves. As we continued to shoot, the winds jumped from about the 30-40 mph range up to something in the 60 mph range (Grand Rapids, 40 miles inland had a windspeed reported at the airport of 59 mph this afternoon), kicking the waves up into the 12-15 foot range. The waves got bigger and were sweeping the pier, and the temperature was falling like a rock and down to 36 in about an hour. Rain -> sleet -> snow! We came back into Kalamazoo and called it a day, but there are pictures coming! Stay tuned.....

[This message has been edited by lighthouse_photo (edited 03-09-2002).]

Re: Bud vs. Michigan Weather! #184395 03/10/02 01:49 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Here's a preview of what might be coming after I get my slides back on Monday afternoon...

[img]http://www.shuttercity.com/public/lighthouse_photo/Gale%5Fwarning%2Ejpg[/img]

Re: Bud vs. Michigan Weather! #184396 03/10/02 02:04 AM
1of3trees@prodigy.net Offline
Oh yeah!! This one, people, was the cover photo in the January issue on Encore magazine, a local Michigan magazine, and among other articles, contained a 4-page article on Gary with several of his photos, as well as the one his son, Casey, took of him that's on one of the other threads and one that I took of him as well.

------------------
Terry (Only my mother, brothers & sisters call me Teresa) Forrest

Re: Bud vs. Michigan Weather! #184397 03/10/02 02:33 AM
Hey Bud! I hear that you got quite an up close and personal view of my big bro's passion for living life to the fullest and lighthouse photography, in particular today. Hope neither of you wind up getting sick from your soakings!! Looking forward to seeing both of your photos of the spectacular show you saw today. Also understand you got to see some of his prints at Inner Images Art Gallery in person, in particular some of the larger sized ones. They are quite something to see, aren't they? And certainly more spectacular and mind-boggling in person against seeing a small version online! As I told Gary a few minutes ago, maybe one of these times when I'm with him, I'll get the opportunity to photograph such weather conditions with him, though of course, I'm not necessarily looking forward to the "getting soaked" part of it!!

Re: Bud vs. Michigan Weather! #184398 03/10/02 11:55 PM
B
Bud Schrader Offline
Wacko
Wacko
B
OK, I'm back home safe and sound(?)- I told Gary I was coming up come snow or high water- didn't know we'd encounter both! The weather did everything it could in just 3 days-30's and snow on the ground when we arrived, 50's and melted snow Friday,and the aforementioned display Sat. Then Sat night it was blizzard like conditions and many lost power from the high winds.It was truly a great experience at Grand Haven when out of nowhere the wind and waves kicked up to monumental proportions. The chances of being there at just that instant are so slight, I count it as a true blessing to have witnessed it. I did pray that my trip would be rewarding, and it certainly was! I did see Gary's display at the gallery, truly outstanding! Thank you Gary for your time and friendship. You can keep the gum, and the washcloth belongs to the motel. I think thats all I left in your car, other than some sand and rain/lake water. Can't wait to see what we went out there for.

Bud

Bud
Re: Bud vs. Michigan Weather! #184399 03/11/02 12:11 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Bud,

Glad you're home safe and sound! Quite a weekend. The weather around here is certianly quite unpredictable. The winds howled all morning today and finally started to settle down somewhat after lunch time. I'll drop off my slides in the morning and will have them back in the afternoon. Out the the roll and a half that I shot at Grand Haven there should be something good! Thanks for the gum... haven't found the washcloth yet, it's probably under the right front seat...

[This message has been edited by lighthouse_photo (edited 03-10-2002).]

Re: Bud vs. Michigan Weather! #184400 03/11/02 12:50 AM
Sounds like you had a great time with Gary, Bud! I must say I'm not a bit surprised, having photographed with him both in Sept. when my husband was with me and again in Dec. when I traveled to MI by myself, since I didn't want to miss seeing my first photo hanging in Inner Images Christmas show! The Monday after we got there in Sept. was the Monday after a weekend of some storms (when Gary had to go in to work unexpectedly) and it was a warm and windy day. We both got some great big wave photos and it was quite amazing to see then, so I can just imagine how mind-boggling it must have been in the weather conditions you both encountered yesterday! Glad to hear you're back home safe and as I mentioned before, I'm looking forward to seeing what you both got for photos. Did you by any chance get any of Gary "at work"?

Re: Bud vs. Michigan Weather! #184401 03/11/02 01:05 AM
B
Bud Schrader Offline
Wacko
Wacko
B
Terri, I should have one of Gary hanging on to the catwalk, he stepped up on the foundation to either try to keep out of the waves or steady his camera.I'm afraid he may have me as I turned away from a big wave coming across. It was definitely an experience
to remember.
Bud

Bud
Re: Bud vs. Michigan Weather! #184402 03/11/02 01:09 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hey Bud, count on me having one of you running from the big wave coming across the pier after you!!! If I was locked onto you with the autofocus, I definitely got you!

As for trying to stay out of the water, little good that it did, but it did help to steady the camera some! Oh well...

[This message has been edited by lighthouse_photo (edited 03-10-2002).]

Re: Bud vs. Michigan Weather! #184403 03/11/02 01:51 AM
All right, Bud -- good going! Gary and I were talking on AIM last night as to whether or not you might have got one of him! I already knew he got one of you running from a big wave! I'll be looking forward to seeing both of them now!!

Re: Bud vs. Michigan Weather! #184404 03/11/02 02:04 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Two to go to 100, Terry!

Re: Bud vs. Michigan Weather! #184405 03/11/02 11:49 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
COMING SOON
AIR BUD
vs.
LAKE MICHIGAN

About as soon as the scanner is done and they're uploaded to be linked! Please stay tuned!!!

[This message has been edited by lighthouse_photo (edited 03-11-2002).]

Re: Bud vs. Michigan Weather! #184406 03/12/02 12:17 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Come in to my office, Bud, but mind the waves!

This first shot of Bud on the pier at Grand Haven, Michigan was shot last Saturday. We visited St. Joseph and South Haven on our way north along the coast.... blahhhhhhh, nothing to get excited about. By the time we got to Grand Haven, however, the weather had become a little "fresh!" The winds were in the 30-40 mph range when we got there and the waves were probably running in the 6-8 foot range. After photographing for a little while, the winds picked up to about 60 mph (as I noted above, Grand Rapids Int'l Airport had recorded winds of 59 mph, and to walk out onto the pier I had to lean into the wind, which given that gravity has a considerable fondness for me, is saying something!). The waves picked up to about the 10-12 foot range, with some probably topping out around 15 feet! Some of those were sweeping completely across the pier. One of those sweepers was after Bud in the photo below...

This second image, which I'm tempted to call "Air Bud," was snapped a fraction of a second after the previous shot. I don't know if the absolute glee on his face is readily seen in the small post here on the forum, but it sure is in the 55 Megabyte digital scan that I have of this slide.

These shots are in a gallery on www.webphotos.com When you get there, click the "Communities" button on the tool bar then enter into the search window Clouds 'n' Lighthouses (make sure you have 'n' or it won't link you to the gallery). This and the cloud photos are there. Click any of the images to bring up a slightly larger view. When it comes up singly, click it again and you'll get the large view.
The URL

http://www.webphotos.com/list_photos_edit.asp?mi=1&smi=1&a=64430

works from my computer but it wasn't working for others yesterday. It's here again, just in case...

More photos of the waves from Grand Haven last Saturday are coming, but I wanted to get this up as soon as possible this evening.

Re: Bud vs. Michigan Weather! #184407 03/12/02 12:57 AM
Hey Bud! You look like you were having a ball for yourself!! WAY TO GO, GUYS!!

Re: Bud vs. Michigan Weather! #184408 03/12/02 01:15 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It's about 18 feet from the surface of the pier to the lights on the catwalk, and the pier at present is another 4 feet above lake level. Hope that gives you an idea of where the top of the wave and spray were in front of the fog horn bldg at the end of the pier. As for that collection of water and spray coming in from the left foreground, yep, it soaked me from the waist down!

Bud, in "my office!"

[This message has been edited by lighthouse_photo (edited 03-11-2002).]

Re: Bud vs. Michigan Weather! #184409 03/12/02 01:19 AM
B
Bud Schrader Offline
Wacko
Wacko
B
Nice shots, Gary! Now I remember how much fun I had, and why I got soooooooo wet!
Bud

Bud
Re: Bud vs. Michigan Weather! #184410 03/12/02 01:36 AM
Although not anywhere as spectacular as the weather you two had Saturday and these beginning photos show, I'm not likely to forget the day Gary and I were shooting together from the bluff at South Haven and the BIG WAVE photos we both got that day in September!

Re: Bud vs. Michigan Weather! #184411 03/12/02 02:27 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A couple more taken after Bud called it a wrap... The winds were a constant 50-60 mph at this point and standing out there on that pier led to a continual soaking during the 28 frames that I fired off... Worth it though. Hope you all enjoy seeing what it was like...

Re: Bud vs. Michigan Weather! #184412 03/12/02 02:30 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
For whatever it's worth, all of the shots posted from Saturday's shoot with Bud at Grand Haven were taken on Provia 400F slide film. I was shooting with an 80-200 mm lens and was shooting in the shutter "S" priority mode, letting the camera adjust the aperature. The shutter speed was between 1/400th and 1/500th of a sec for all of these shots and I was using autofocus, although the waves sweeping across the pier occasionally drove the autofocus in my camera "wacko" for a few seconds.

Re: Bud vs. Michigan Weather! #184413 03/12/02 03:40 AM
shiulong Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Ok, I'm ready for California when and where? Big Sur for sure then Pigeon Point then Pt Reyes name a day any day all day half a day, half a night a whole night I drive you drive a bus a taxi plane train even a bike(with a motor). Can't wait!

Chuck

------------------
bigdragon

bigdragon
Re: Bud vs. Michigan Weather! #184414 03/12/02 02:57 PM
O
oseabee Offline
Administrator
Administrator
O
Hi Gary some beautiful pictures cant wait to see the rest.Bill O'Brien

oseabee
Bill O'Brien
Re: Bud vs. Michigan Weather! #184415 03/12/02 05:22 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Fantastic pictures. Keep them coming. Love to look at your work.

Bert (MtnHkr)

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: Bud vs. Michigan Weather! #184416 03/12/02 06:16 PM
eastpoint Offline
Gary

great pictures of a wild day. What do you use to protect the cameras and lens?

Hank

Re: Bud vs. Michigan Weather! #184417 03/12/02 06:26 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Bud and Gary,
This looks like just to much fun! LOVE IT!
Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Bud vs. Michigan Weather! #184418 03/12/02 11:56 PM
pierhead Offline
I know I've said it before, but GOD do I miss living up there. I used to spend a lot of time at St. Joe and Grand Haven. Grand Haven has always been my favorite light. Those are great shots Gary. Thanks for posting them.

Jared

Re: Bud vs. Michigan Weather! #184419 03/13/02 02:43 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Glad all of you are enjoying these photos. Bud and I certainly had a great time at Grand Haven last Saturday.

To answer your question, Hank, I normally use a large Ziploc bag with a slit in the bottom through which the barrel of the lens protrudes, with the bag taped or rubber banded down tight. I leave the back open so I've got access to the camera controls and I use another small bag over the lens when I'm not shooting, more to keep water droplets off of it than anything else so that my images will stay sharp. This is not to say that I don't end up with water literally running down the front of the filter at times, I certainly do. Other times, I've shot without any protection on the cameras and lenses. Thus far, the Nikons that I'm shooting with have performed flawlessly!

Hey Jared, I'll keep posting these to remind you of from whence you came...

Here are a few more shots from Saturday. I think this first post that follows perhaps does the best job of showing the power of the wind and waves on Lake Michigan last Saturday. That blowing wave/spray completely obscuring the catwalk and lights between the inner light and the fog building is about 25 feet over the pier and nearly 30 feet above the lake surface. The way that the spray has been sculpted by the wind gives you a feel for the awesome power of the 60 mph winds on Saturday...

At times, as shown by the shot above, the entire pier was obscured by waves and spray...

This last photo is a "quieter" moment on Saturday, if you can call it that!

Hope you all enjoy these!

[This message has been edited by lighthouse_photo (edited 03-12-2002).]

[This message has been edited by lighthouse_photo (edited 03-12-2002).]

[This message has been edited by lighthouse_photo (edited 03-13-2002).]

Re: Bud vs. Michigan Weather! #184420 03/13/02 02:52 AM
Great photos, Gary, as usual!!!

Re: Bud vs. Michigan Weather! #184421 03/13/02 06:10 PM
shiulong Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Gary, those are great pictures and it looks like you guy's had a good time. I can't believe I am hoping for some bad weather in California.

Chuck

------------------
bigdragon

bigdragon
Re: Bud vs. Michigan Weather! #184422 03/13/02 09:56 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Chuck, some nice 30 footers rolling in from the Aleutians would be nice, don't you think!

Although this thread is Bud vs. Michigan weather, for Chuck as a teaser for next month's trip to California, here's a shot of about a 20 foot wave rolling in off the Pacific breaking on the promontory that the Point Bonita light stands atop.

Enjoy!

Re: Bud vs. Michigan Weather! #184423 03/13/02 11:04 PM
shiulong Offline
Wacko
Wacko
It looks like it was a great time. Bud has such a big grin in that one pic, it must be ear to ear. One can't help being green with envy or sea sickness from the looks of those large WAVES.lol It's only sunny, calm, 70F and no wind where is the fun in that. I see the shots from your trip and it makes me want to come up north to share some of the excitement. Thank goodness the moment of insanity passes.

Chuck

------------------
bigdragon

bigdragon
Re: Bud vs. Michigan Weather! #184424 03/14/02 12:58 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Absolutely balmy here today, Chuck... open sunroof weather! Clear blue sky and 57! What more could you ask for? Where's your sense of adventure???? Living in Houston makes you soft.... I used to live there and was on the faculty at UofH so I remember all too well how you get lulled by that beautiful spring weather... up until they fire up the summer blast furnace when the heat and humidity both go to triple digits!

[This message has been edited by lighthouse_photo (edited 03-13-2002).]

Re: Bud vs. Michigan Weather! #184425 03/14/02 02:09 AM
B
Bud Schrader Offline
Wacko
Wacko
B
Hey, our provider was down last night so I couldn't jump in- I must say I had a GREAT time! Got my snaps from the point&shoot back,not too bad considering. My slides won't be back untill the first of the week- sometimes it's really tough living in a small town! Gary, check out my thread on "Lighthouse Duty"
Bud

Bud
Re: Bud vs. Michigan Weather! #184426 03/20/02 03:12 AM
Bud: did you get your slides back yet? Looking forward to seeing what you got from last Saturday, especially the one of Gary! BTW, congratulations on your win in the Photo Contest.

------------------

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 620 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users