Next Thread
Print Thread
San Juan Islands: Aerial photos of the lighthouses #184365 07/11/04 08:44 PM
Tammy Wolfe Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Hello Everyone,

We enjoyed our annual trip to the San Juan Islands in Washington State. This year we took two scenic plane rides for the first time.

Below are photos of the lighthouse on Alden Point on Patos Island. We flew around the lighthouse a few times on both flights, and I had the opportunity to get several nice shots from different angles.

This is the Turn Point Lighthouse on Stuart Island. Since I've seen this light several times on whale watch cruises, we only flew by this light on one ride.

This is Lime Kiln Lighthouse on San Juan Island. This is one of my favorite lighthouses because this is where my passion started. When we flew by the first time, we couldn't go very low because the whales were there, and the pilot didn't want people to think we were flying low because of the whales. There were people everywhere. This photo was taken on the way back from Patos after the whales and most of the people had left.

Finally, there is Cattle Point Lighthouse on San Juan Island. This is a really pretty location. On a really clear day, you can see both Mount Baker and Mount Rainier from here.

If anyone is interested in a scenic plane ride of the San Juans, I recommend Island Air. Be sure to ask for the plane that allows you to open the window all the way if you plan to do a photo shoot. (One plane we took did; the other didn't.)

Tammy

Re: San Juan Islands: Aerial photos of the lighthouses #184366 07/11/04 09:05 PM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Very nice Tammy. How was the weather this time of year? John and I have just seen Lime Kiln and Cattle Point from land. We took a float plane out of Victoria, Canada and flew over the San Juan Islands but mostly focused on watching the orca pods. I would love to go back and take another flight and see the lighthouses from the air.

Re: San Juan Islands: Aerial photos of the lighthouses #184367 07/11/04 10:00 PM
Tammy Wolfe Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Lorie,

The temperature was in the mid 60's to low to mid 70's during our 10 day stay. It was a bit cooler a few days than some years. However, we have also experienced much cooler weather on San Juan Island some years in June.

A lot of people wore shorts around Friday Harbor. When we were out on the water, it often required a light jacket. I'll take that weather anytime to the 85 degree, 70% humidity weather we are having today.

Tammy

Re: San Juan Islands: Aerial photos of the lighthouses #184368 02/04/05 02:23 AM
C
Cornholio Offline
C
Hey, believe it or not Lime Kiln was the lightouse that sparked my interest in Lighthouses too!!! By the way, I love your pictures, especially the Turn Point one, the lighthouse isn't anything but the stormy condition and the water are amazing! I am a semi-profeccional photographer and let me say those are good pictures!!

They're Lean...They're Mean...They're Italian Cuisine!!!
Re: San Juan Islands: Aerial photos of the lighthouses #184369 02/04/05 04:56 AM
Shortcake Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Cornholio,

Let me be the first to welcome you to the forums! It is always good to hear from a new member and we all will hope that you post ofton. You won't find a more Lighthouse Loveing group anywhere else on the internet then right here on these forums. You will also find that there are no strangers here. We are like one big happy family here, so WELCOME to the Family! smile Please don't be shy, but join us here ofton.

Being a new member, you will want to check the Welcome Forum several times in the next few days or weeks as many old members will want to say Hello to you!

Stephanie

God may have created man before woman,
but there is always a rough draft before the masterpiece.
Re: San Juan Islands: Aerial photos of the lighthouses #184370 02/04/05 09:08 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Tammy,...Your pictures are super!!! Aerial view is a different perspective we don't often see here at the forums. When we do see them, they are usually great. Thank you so much for sharing them with all of us.

smile Bob smile

Re: San Juan Islands: Aerial photos of the lighthouses #184371 02/04/05 10:54 PM
Tammy Wolfe Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Cornholio (Tom??)

Welcome to the forums! When I signed in tonight, I was surprised to find something I posted 7 months ago at the top of the Lighthouse Photography forum.

If Lime Kiln sparked your interest in Lighthouses, I'm wondering if you also are interested in whales since it's a great place to see whales in the summer.

Anyway, if you were the one who sent me email earlier today, I responded to it. Let me know if you're interested in doing aerial or boat tours.

Tammy

Re: San Juan Islands: Aerial photos of the lighthouses #184372 02/05/05 01:35 AM
eskilady Offline
I know that I am repeating myself when I say - you do take the most beautiful pictures!! But, where are the whales?? I love your whale pictures most of all!

Eskilady
Re: San Juan Islands: Aerial photos of the lighthouses #184373 11/02/05 02:29 AM
K
Kim Pfeiffer Offline
K
Great pictures. I lived on the island when I was a baby. My dad was in the Coast Guard and was stationed at the Patos Island lighthouse.

Kim
Re: San Juan Islands: Aerial photos of the lighthouses #184374 11/03/05 02:36 AM
beachcomber Offline
Kim, I just realized that you are from Austin. Did you live on the island long enough to enjoy it or just as a baby? You must have had some great experiences as a coastie's child.

Tammy, I had not seen this thread before and thought it was funny that you complained about temps in the 80's and humidity in the 70's. That's a pleasant day in Houston.

beachcomber
Re: San Juan Islands: Aerial photos of the lighthouses #184375 11/03/05 11:43 PM
Tammy Wolfe Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
I was surprised to see find this at the top since I posted it in 2004. Haven't been on much lately as we were in Florida for 10 days.

Kim, that's so cool that you lived on the island when you were a baby. Have you been back there since then? It's so beautiful there. I would like to try to photograph Patos Island light from a boat to get the mountains in the background.

Grace, speaking of humidity...the first four days in Florida were very warm and humid. The low at night was in the 70's. That doesn't make for great weather for swimming with manatees. The older I get, the less I can tolerate humidity. It just drains me. So, I love the weather in June on San Juan Island!

Re: San Juan Islands: Aerial photos of the lighthouses #184376 11/04/05 04:15 AM
beachcomber Offline
Isn't the West Coast wonderful?! Your shots are beautiful, Tammy. I spent ten days at a seminar (and vacation) in Seattle and really loved that whole area. Would like to do a vacation in the San Juan Islands. Even as a native down here, I have never been able to tolerate the humidity - if it's going to be hot, I prefer dry heat. Give me the desert anyday, but I do love cold weather.

beachcomber

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (DANIEL, Rock), 1,573 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users