Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The Lighthouse Sticker Project #184185 08/19/03 11:32 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Here's an update on the Lighthouse Journal / Lighthouse Sticker project.

As many of you know, I'm working on creating a unique 4 color photographic lighthouse sticker for each the existing USA lighthouses -- a few under 700.

My goal is to have 200+ of the better known lights ready as stickers by the end of this month. So far about 174 are done.

The balance should be ready by the end of October.

I've been getting some positive feedback from the information kits I've sent out to 50 lighthouse gift shops so far.

Over 20 photographers have been asked to allow use of their images of lighthouses on these stickers and each will receive the same compensation based on a per-sticker sold basis.

I sent out a reminder email to those photographers this afternoon with a list of just over 100 better known lighthouses for which I still need images.

Some of these emails came back - so I need updated email addresses for a few of you. (If you haven't updated your profile here lately, please do so.)

If you did NOT receive my email and would like to have some of your best lighthouse images included, please let me know and I'll send you the details and how to submit images.

Thanks to all those who are helping me on this.

You can keep your eye on how things are going at:

www.LighthouseStickers.com

Re: The Lighthouse Sticker Project #184186 08/26/03 02:47 AM
Mike Hershberger Offline
John,
I sent you a bunch of images a couple days ago, I hope one or two of them are useful to you. When you're ready for the sunrise/sunset and low light shots let me know, I'll send you a slew of em.

Re: The Lighthouse Sticker Project #184187 08/26/03 05:21 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Yep, Mike. Got 'em and I've processed 8 of them so far:

http://www.lighthousestickers.com/photographer_pages/mike_hershberger.htm

I've gotten swamped with new images from several photographers and it will take me a week or so to get caught up. I'm doing about 12-20 images a day.

Re: The Lighthouse Sticker Project #184188 08/27/03 05:22 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
As of today, I will surpass 300 Lighthouse Stickers created. Still about 25-30 of the better known ones to go. Then on to finish the 375 or so remaining and lesser known lights.

Thanks again to all the participating photographers. I'm awaiting images from several more people I've approached and a few that approached me.

Let me say, in all sincerity, that the PRINTED images of these stickers are MUCH better than the thumbnails you can see on the Internet -- and I've sent out some samples to a few people who have verified this to me.

I'm moving ahead with PLACES to "Stick the Stickers" and there will be multiple options including the Lighthouse Journal books and others resources which will be unveiled soon.

While I initially priced the journals at $19.75 and $24.75, the prices will be reduced considerably and you'll have an introductory offer soon to save even more when you buy a Journal.

If you are among the score or so who've already bought a Lighthouse Journal, contact me by email and I'll 'credit' the difference in the form of Lighthouse Stickers you can pick out for your Journal.

A couple of questions for you all:

I'm working on creating "State Stickers" for each Lighthouse State using the lantern room image of a well-known lighthouse from each state. You can view a page of those done so far here:

http://www.lighthousestickers.com/sticker_pages/STATE_stickers.htm

Is this the way to go for these "State Stickers"?

And I'm working on "Regional Stickers" for different lighthouse 'regions' such as "Outer Banks", "Lake Michigan", "Lighthouses of Michigan's Thumb", "Gulf Coast Lighthouses", etc.

You can see some examples here:

http://www.lighthousestickers.com/sticker_pages/REGION_stickers.htm

Now is this kind of satellite imagery the way to go for these regional stickers? Should I place a 'red dot' on the maps for each lighthouse? (That would be a lot of dots on the map for Lake Michigan and it would not be possible to identify the locations on a 2x2" sticker.) Or would it be better to pick one lighthouse to represent the region and show a photo of it in some way different from the individual sticker for that lighthouse?

Here's an example of the Regional Sticker:

This satellite image is a bit pixelated -- the final version would not be.

What do you think?

Re: The Lighthouse Sticker Project #184189 08/27/03 07:13 PM
Shirin Offline
Thanks for the update John.

I like the lantern room shots for the state stickers. But I'd make the Maryland and the American stickers different. Maybe the Statue Of Liberty would work for the American sticker?

I also like the regional stickers with the satellite images. I like them without dots marking the lighthouses.

Shirin
Re: The Lighthouse Sticker Project #184190 08/28/03 04:31 AM
Mike Hershberger Offline
John, I really like how you cleaned up my images. I'm proud to have my photos in your project, and I can't wait to get you some low light ones.

I'll check back on the web site and see if there are any more I can contribute to you.

Re: The Lighthouse Sticker Project #184191 09/02/03 01:04 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Thanks, Mike...

Here's an update as of 9/1/03.

My goal was to have the top 200 lighthouses represented with Lighthouse Stickers by 8/31/03. I'm not sure they are the 'top 200', but I now have 380+ 2x2" Lighthouse Stickers representing at least 340 different lighthouses.

As I'm building the library of images from over 30 photographers, I'm adding some supplemental Lighthouse Stickers in categories such as Weather, Winter, Fall, and After Dark.

Please do take a look.

www.LighthouseStickers.com

Thanks to the photographers who have been keeping me supplied with images!!! I've got about 100 more images to process.

Re: The Lighthouse Sticker Project #184192 09/07/03 01:05 AM
Gary Martin Offline
The 20 up files I've gotten back from you John, when printed at 300 dpi look every bit as good as the original scans I was working from. Should be a great collection of images to go with the Journals when you're done with it! I'm certainly proud to have my images associated with this effort.

Gary

Re: The Lighthouse Sticker Project #184193 09/07/03 05:12 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Thanks, Gary...

Now 400 stickers out of 705 completed. I'm almost caught up with all the images participating photographers have sent me.

Stephen Sostaric has a CD on the way and Terry Pepper has joined the program and will help fill in photos of the Western Great Lakes Lighthouses from his excellent web site.

A few states now complete, thanks especially to Bob and Sandra Shanklin.

Alabama
Alaska
Vermont
Illinois
Texas
Mississippi
Louisiana
Georgia
North Carolina
Missouri smile

A few states missing just one:
New Jersey (Finns Point)
Indiana (Michigan City breakwater - not the pier)
Pennsyvania

If you will be attending the LI Regional and visiting Fire Island afterwards, look for Lighthouse Sticker magnets in the gift shop. Ask to have your USLHS Passport 'stickered' instead of stamped. Bob LaRosa, the gift shop manager has at least one sheet of 20 stickers.

Hope to have an important announcement about this project this week!!

Re: The Lighthouse Sticker Project #184194 09/07/03 01:22 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Someone out there has some good shots of the Statue of Liberty. I'm especially looking for a close up daytime shot of the Lady's head and crown since the crown area is where the lighthouse lights were, as I understand it.

If you are going to participate in the MD Challenge, there are a few photos still needed tom complete that state.

While you won't necessarily get rich from the use of this image, I expect it will be a 'best-seller' since it will appear on a lot of sticker sets and probably the new cover of the Lighthouse Journal.

Please email me if you have it.

John

Re: The Lighthouse Sticker Project #184195 09/07/03 03:25 PM
Chesapeake Bryan Offline
John,

Let me know what photos you are missing from MD and I will send you those. I have photographs of every lighthouse in MD except one.

Re: The Lighthouse Sticker Project #184196 09/09/03 05:04 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
The project continues to grow - with 413 Lighthouse Sticker designs completed - another 300 or so to go.

I got a CD in the mail today from our friend "Jakers" whose many talents continue to amaze me for this 18 year old.

http://www.lighthousestickers.com/photographers/stephen_sostaric.htm

Wonderful work. Great kid.

Re: The Lighthouse Sticker Project #184197 09/10/03 10:14 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I just emailed you some new ones...I think you'll like them, especially bristol ferry...

Re: The Lighthouse Sticker Project #184198 09/11/03 12:03 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Thanks... I received those. I almost got caught up, however I need to take a break from Lighthouse Stickers for a few days and get back to my REAL job.

This weekend I'll spend more time on Lighthouse Stickers. Lots of good things in the works.

I figured out a way to package and market individual Lighthouse Stickers through retail outlets instead of selling the store a sheet of 20 stickers and expecting the store to either peel them off the sheet and hand them to the buyer or cutting them apart to sell them with backing attached.

Re: The Lighthouse Sticker Project #184199 09/11/03 03:06 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Another announcement:

The American Lighthouse Foundation and LighthouseStickers.com have reached an agreement. LighthouseStickers.com will donate 100% of profits from the sale of the new American Lighthouse Passport to ALF and assist ALF in other ways.

The American Lighthouse Passport is designed specifically to hold up to 46 individual Lighthouse Stickers. The passport carries information about ALF and the ALF logo.

The passport is one of several "Lighthouse Memory Keepers" I am offering through www.LighthouseStickers.com

View the passport information here.

Re: The Lighthouse Sticker Project #184200 09/11/03 05:04 PM
Shirin Offline
I like the passport and folder idea. That makes a nice way for anyone to document their own Lighthouse Challenge or individual trips. This project just keeps getting better and better!

Shirin

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,414 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users