Print Thread
Big Red - Holland, MI #184090 04/28/02 12:32 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Roger asked for some SW Mich photos, in particular, Big Red. I have two in proper format to post so here they are.

This first shot is one of my favorites. This was shot in April, 1997 very late in the evening - pushing 10 PM when the color was all but gone exept for the band of vermillion light along the horizon. The exposure was 4 minutes to push the film into reciprocity failure and to be sure that I caught as many passes of the light on the calm lake as I could to get that reflection. The result, when I got the slides back, blew me away!!!

Another shot a little earlier that evening

A shot taken on a morning that started out nice and was getting ugly by the time I got to Big Red with the reflection on the wave swept sand...

I'll add some other shots later. I've certainly got enough in my files from the SW Michigan lights!

Re: Big Red - Holland, MI #184091 04/28/02 12:40 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Evening shots are great Gary but 'Big Red' can only be defined in my eyes in the third as RED
- Bob

[This message has been edited by rscroope (edited 04-28-2002).]

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Big Red - Holland, MI #184092 04/28/02 12:47 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I know what you mean, Bob. While those late night shots are pretty dramatic, it sure isn't "Red!"

Gary

Re: Big Red - Holland, MI #184093 04/28/02 01:10 PM
L
lkeasyliving Offline
Wacko
Wacko
L
Great shots of my hometown Light
Larry

Larry
Re: Big Red - Holland, MI #184094 04/28/02 02:00 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
HUGE THANKS, Gary. More fantastic photos.

The low light shots brought back a rush of childhood memories. I love the view from the south side of the channel.
How do you get in to that side? I grew up in Macatawa, and can't get past the "cottage owners association" guards.

I'd love to download those to my screen saver, if it's OK with you.

Larry - Do we know each other? E-mail me if you'd like to talk

Roger

Re: Big Red - Holland, MI #184095 04/28/02 03:24 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Roger,

There are actually three parking spots to allow lighthouse access. Unfortunately, they're behind the stupid guardhouse belonging to the cottage owners assoc or whatever it's called. Nothing like trying to make it their exclusive lighthouse, huh? When the guard is there, they're REQUIRED to give you access to park there if there is a space open, so you can get to the parking spots just beyond the guardhouse. From there it's a short walk. The rest of the time, you have to park, usually illegally, and walk a little further. For morning photography, the rest of the world isn't up so it doesn't much matter. The rest of the time you could always buy a cup of coffee at the yacht club, I suppose.

Hope this helps some. The best views of Big Red are indeed from the south side of the channel! I've e-mailed DNR and the governor to grumble about the deplorable parking access and the fact that the residents are trying to exclude everyone but themselves from enjoying our maritime treasure from the south. They originally complained that there was insufficient parking to accomodate visitation to Big Red about 5 years ago. That of course was a result of them digging up a parking lot that would have easily handled 100+ cars. Pretty shabby behavior, on the whole!

Gary

Re: Big Red - Holland, MI #184096 04/28/02 04:51 PM
L
lkeasyliving Offline
Wacko
Wacko
L
All the big boys with $$$ live there and think there hot stuff aka 'am way' boys and alikes
Larry

Larry
Re: Big Red - Holland, MI #184097 04/28/02 08:29 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
They definitely think the beach there south of the channel and the area is theirs. I had one truly obnoxious woman stomp through the sand right in front of me one day to rinse her sandals off (she could have just as easily walked behind me). It was obvious that I was shooting the reflection of Big Red on the wet sand and she thoroughly screwed up my composition with her incredibly rude behavior. Guess she had to make a statement that I was trespassing on HER beach... scum bag photo intruder that I am. Oh well...

Gary

[This message has been edited by lighthouse_photo (edited 04-29-2002).]

Re: Big Red - Holland, MI #184098 04/28/02 09:58 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Gary,
I'm glad you persevered the obnoxious attitude of the locals. The resulting photos are a thing of beauty.

That type of attitude is nothing new at Macatawa. Most of those cottages have been handed down through generations of Chicago residents. I had a paper route in there as a kid 45 years ago - and they were arrogant way back then.

I'm going to try the thing @ the three parking spaces the next time I'm back home however. I'm getting a little frustrated trying to visit 'Red from Ottawa Beach.

Thanks for the memories!

Roger

Re: Big Red - Holland, MI #184099 05/03/02 02:06 AM
1of3trees@prodigy.net Offline
After countless times of seeing these, Gary, they still look great!!

------------------
Terry (Only my mother, brothers & sisters call me Teresa) Forrest

Terry (Only my mother, brothers & sisters call me Teresa) Forrest
Re: Big Red - Holland, MI #184100 05/03/02 11:37 AM
O
oseabee Offline
Administrator
Administrator
O
Some great pix of bigred Gary as usual.Bill O'Brien in Nova Scotia

oseabee
Bill O'Brien
Re: Big Red - Holland, MI #184101 05/05/02 02:29 AM
R
rakramer Offline
R
Beautiful pictures! Thanks for sharing.

Ruth

Re: Big Red - Holland, MI #184102 05/05/02 07:53 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Every summer there is always some sort of controversy regarding access to the shoreline by the general public. The people who own homes along the water manage to intimidate and legally force people away from their "private beaches" by controlling the access roads and parking areas.

Yes, they have a legal right to do that and also to keep people off their private beaches, but they don't have the right to control your access below the high tide mark. So if you are walking on land that is covered by the sea when the tide is high, it doesn't belong to the property owner with the private beach. This may not be true in all cases, i.e. full moon flood tides, but I think it's true in most cases.

Then there is always the chance they'll call the local police and try to have you thrown off. Then you might end up in court challenging the right of access, which will cost you more money than you're willing to spend.

Have you seen these types of cases in your areas along the coastline of the United States?

Bob

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 808 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users