Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Currituck #18355 03/02/99 03:56 AM
G
Greydawn Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I recently came across a Currituck HL that has its tower painted a light olive green. I had only seen the "brick" color up until now. Was this piece issued in different colors or is this an oddity? Thanks for your help.

Re: Currituck #18356 03/02/99 04:13 AM
B
BuyGlass Offline
Wacko
Wacko
B
Sounds like a call to HL Customer Service needs to be made. I don't recall ever hearing about this variation. Can you see the brick impressions through the paint or does the tower appear to have been plastered with stucco?? Is there any difference other than the tower paint color?? Would love to see a picture of it. On another note. I have seen a Currituck that has been displayed in a store window for a long period of time. The sun has faded it and changed the color to an almost kahki/olive green. If you ever walk past the Ospreys Nest in Georgetown, SC. Look in the window and you will see what I mean. Maybe this lighthouse has fallen victim to the suns rays as well.

SeAnDiEgO

Re: Currituck #18357 03/02/99 12:36 PM
O
orv Offline
O
My Currituck is this color. I thought this was the way it was supposed to be. Dealers display was in middle of store, not window. Is it supposed to be dark brown?

------------------
ORV

ORV
Re: Currituck #18358 03/02/99 12:39 PM
G
Greydawn Offline OP
OP Offline
G
You hit it right on the head! It was the Ospreys Nest in Georgetown were I saw this piece. I didn't realize that the sun could fade a piece that much. Oh well, I guess I will keep my collection away from windows. Thanks for your help! Greydawn

Re: Currituck #18359 03/02/99 01:27 PM
G
Greydawn Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I just went back and took a closer look at the "green" Currituck and I can't see that fading could have caused this color. The green color is too consistent over the enitire tower and connected building to be from fading. Even the areas at the base, behind the trees and the point where the building connectes to the tower are all the same olive green! I don't think the sun could have reached these areas even if the piece was rotated on a regular basis. As is with other pieces mentioned in the forum, the flag #s on this piece are no longer legible but the box indicates that it should be # 5699. Any other ideas out there? Greydawn

Re: Currituck #18360 03/02/99 04:36 PM
Art Offline
I don't know about a green Currituck, but mine (#8538)is a noticeably lighter brown than what is shown in the 1998 catalog. It's just a tad darker (and less red) than my SE Block Island (#4745). I doubt this will help much because of differences in systems, but here goes anyway: My Currituck is somewhere between THIS COLOR and THIS COLOR. The Currituck in the 1998 catalog that I have is closer to THIS COLOR.

Browning out...

-Art

-Art
Re: Currituck #18361 03/02/99 10:14 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
A couple of possibilities (or improbabilities)

It sat on a turntable in the sunny window and got baked to olive green on all sides. (The illegible serial number is a hint that the piece has been 'fried in the window'.

It may have been treated to some chemical. Perhaps the store was sprayed for bugs and this piece got hit?

This may be the VERY VERY rare, "GI Joe Currituck". Only one prototype was made before HL decided they didn't want to be associated with war toys.

Two best choices:

1. Ask the dealer to replace it
2. Call HL 800-365-1219 and ask for customer service

Re: Currituck #18362 03/02/99 11:27 PM
G
Greydawn Offline OP
OP Offline
G
John, I think I will go with the camouflage concept. What could be more interesting than a lighthouse that has the ability to "hide among the trees" during the day and then leap into action at nightfall! Greydawn

Re: Currituck #18363 03/02/99 11:30 PM
P
pepper17 Offline
P
This isn't about Currituck but in similar vein. Noticed a Chicago Harbor at a dealer on Sunday that had a red roof with white on the peak area. My thought was they cleaned it with something that took off some of the paint. Hope someone doesn't buy it not knowing it shouldn't look like that. Any other ideas why it would look like this?

Re: Currituck #18364 03/02/99 11:43 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The "white" on the roof of Chicago harbor is intentional - it is the left overs from sea gulls resting on top of the lighthouse while waiting for their next meal to swim by. Toledo Harbor lighthouse has the same "effect"

Re: Currituck #18365 03/03/99 01:18 PM
O
orv Offline
O
Interesting concept about the GI Joe Currituck. Uh gee, you're pulling our leg, right? Actually If you look in this column you'll see three that are this color. The one that Greydawn saw, Art's, and mine. I think in this small of a universe to have three known pieces would suggest a variation.
Also considering I'm in MO, Art is in TN, (right?) and the other one is somewhere in New England.

------------------
ORV

ORV
Re: Currituck #18366 03/03/99 05:53 PM
G
Greydawn Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I'm in South Carolina.

Re: Currituck #18367 03/03/99 08:07 PM
O
orv Offline
O
Sorry Greydawn, us landlocked midwesterner's get confused. At least I had the right coast.

------------------
ORV

ORV
Re: Currituck #18368 03/03/99 08:50 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Orv and Greydawn, what number are your Curritucks ? Could they have both been painted the same day by the same color blind painter who doesn't read english (or at all) to notice the difference when painting them the wrong color ? And Art's piece is a lighter brown not green according to Art's post

Re: Currituck #18369 03/03/99 09:02 PM
G
Greydawn Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Mark, my box indicates #5699 but I can not make out the number on the flag.

Re: Currituck #18370 03/03/99 11:46 PM
O
orv Offline
O
#7249 light Green, olive, light brown, kahki, pea soup, baby poop, all about the same color in my book. Mine matches about the colors Art referred to. I believe I saw one on ebay that was about this color also.

------------------
ORV

ORV
Re: Currituck #18371 03/04/99 01:16 PM
O
orv Offline
O
Anyone wanting to see one this color? There is one on e-bay currently that is the same color as mine. This is definitely not fading. Speaking of e-bay there was a Thomas Point Signature Series sold for $130.00 yesterday. The #181's are going for $120.00 to $130.00 on ebay. You can go in a store and buy the Signature Series for $89.00. GO FIGURE

------------------
ORV

ORV
Re: Currituck #18372 03/04/99 02:25 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Maybe some buyers have trouble telling the difference between the Thomas Point LE and the Signature Series piece. That could be a costly mistake. "Let the buyer beware!"

Re: Currituck #18373 03/04/99 02:31 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Here's the link to see the ebay one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=71642402

However, judging colors by photos isn't going to be very accurate since photos can differ and monitors can differ etc.

Mine looks about like the ebay one - a bit greenish, but 'bricky' too. If you use Pantone colors, it's PMS471U, but the 'mortar' between the bricks is black so it might look a bit darker to the eye. Mine is #5462. I wouldn't say it's a GI Joe one, though. 0 :>)

John

[This message has been edited by JChidester (edited 03-04-99).]

Re: Currituck #18374 03/04/99 04:17 PM
Art Offline
I would classify my Currituck as more of a light brown than a green also. No black mortar between the bricks on mine though. Pigment is a bit more concentrated (appears a little darker, same hue) between the bricks, but no black.

FWIW, the e-Bay posting matches the color of my piece pretty nearly.

While I *am* in TN, I bought the piece from a place in Oswego, NY. I think that serial numbers may be more telling than geography.

John, I'll check the Pantone number when I get back to work later today. I've been meaning to do that but keep forgetting. I've sent myself a reminder e-mail this time!

Meanwhile, does anyone have a piece that looks like the one in the 1998 catalog? Or is the one in the photo perhaps just an AP that never made it to production?

-Art

-Art
Re: Currituck #18375 03/04/99 04:34 PM
G
Greydawn Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Art & John, If you could Email me an address, I will send a photo (by snail mail) of the "green" Currituck. I photograghed it next to another Currituck that seems to be the standard (if such exist )color. I would call this normal color "cinnamon". The Ebay piece isn't even close to the color I have. Sorry that I am not able to send it digitally. Thanks for your help. Greydawn@gateway.net

Re: Currituck #18376 03/04/99 06:34 PM
O
orv Offline
O
Curiouser and Curiouser,
Now it seems that we are talking about three distinct colors. If John's, Art's & mine match the ebay picture and Greydawn's "green" one isn't even close to that, and the brick or brown that the catalog shows is out there, I think that makes 3.

"I photographed it next to another Currituck that seems to be the standard (if such exist)color. I would call this normal color "cinnamon"."

Greydawn, is this the same color as the one listed in the Harbour Lights Catalog?

------------------
ORV

ORV
Re: Currituck #18377 03/04/99 07:08 PM
JJ Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
OK Art, I can tell you that your Currituck was in the front window in direct sunlight. However, the store had just moved to that location in the past 2 or 3 weeks and in the previous store the case had been much further into the store. I had warned the owner about the fading that I had read about (in this forum) and suggested that she might want to relocate the HL display. I took the Currituck that she had in the storeroom (#8536) and it is a light brown in color.
Jim
Johnson

Re: Currituck #18378 03/05/99 03:50 AM
Art Offline
Jim, I don't think that mine was affected all that much by the sunlight, if at all. The colors are all bright and uniform, without "shadows". My piece is also a light brown color, approximately PMS464U or PMS465U, but closer to the PMS464U. This is a little less orange than John's piece (PMS471U per John).

John, I'd be *really* hard-pressed to describe PMS471U as you did: "a bit greenish, but 'bricky'." Are you sure you got the right number? I see nothing greenish about this swatch. Maybe one of us is red-green colorblind. Very common in males, you know.

The sidewalks on my piece are very close to the color that John reports for his tower, about a PMS472U.

I have two copies of the 1998 catalog. They came from different stores about 1,000 miles away from one another and were picked up about 6 months apart. Both show Currituck to be a significantly darker brown than my piece, with a bit of a rosey hue to it (about a PMS505U or PMS506U.) It is very difficult to get a reasonable fix on the color of a 3D object rendered in 2D, especially when not uniformly lighted for the photo, but the catalog piece is clearly darker than both what John describes and what my own piece is. It surely defies being described as olive green. I am still very curious: Does anyone own a Currituck that looks like the one in the catalog?

I retract my earlier statement about my piece looking like the one on e-Bay. Holding up my piece to the image from e-Bay on my monitor, mine is more red and darker than that piece, from what I can tell on my monitor (which isn't much, for all the reasons already outlined by John above and me here.)

I have not been to Currituck Beach personally, but I have compared my piece to several images in books and on the 'net. The color of the real thing is closer to my piece than to what is shown in the catalog. This makes sense to me. Having lived for 5 years in the piedmont area of NC, I am quite familiar with the "cinnamon" colored clay that abounds in that area. The builders of the light would probably have had to import the bricks from a long way away to build a dark tower like the one in the catalog.

Colorblind maybe, but no PMS,
-Art [Proud to be the home of a "Y" chromosome]

-Art
Re: Currituck #18379 03/05/99 10:41 AM
L
Lighthouse Ghost Offline
L
It's interesting to see all the discussion regarding color variants on Currituck! I've noticed color variants on this model since I bought mine. Mine I would describe as the more cinnamon color but I have seen one that is the dark brown of the brochure. I have also seen a couple that are orange-brown and the actual lighthouse to me appears to be more of an orange brown than anything else. I have not seen any Currituck HL that could be called "green". I have not seen any other HL model where I have seen so many color variations.

From the Heart Of Dixie.

Lighthouse Ghost

Re: Currituck #18380 03/06/99 11:47 AM
R
Robert M Dick Offline
R
My Currituck tower and walkway is a redish brown color. I've seen one that is a brownsih green cast. I did notice the red at band at the tower base is a brighter real red. I suspect and pigment ptoblem with this piece. Others don't fade or change as this one from what I've seen.

Moby

Moby
Re: Currituck #18381 03/06/99 10:52 PM
R
Robert M Dick Offline
R
Correction on last post. The foundation of the house is a bright red. Consistent wioth other models. Tower is uniformly miscolored on certain pieces

Moby
Re: Currituck #18382 03/08/99 02:27 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
All I can say is that the lady in Oswego is happy to have sold all her Curritucks! I was very happy with mine which could have been the one on display which was replaced with Art's. I also advised her about displaying them in direct sunlight. Guess we should be happy they didn't turn green!

Re: Currituck #18383 03/08/99 08:41 AM
R
Robert M Dick Offline
R
Hey Mombo,

Green is pretty and spring is almost here!

Moby

Moby
Re: Currituck #18384 03/08/99 01:18 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Hey Moby, maybe where you are and also on the calendar but not here in Central New York where we got a foot and a half of snow on Saturday! Your green will be nice for St. Paddy's Day! Brown will be the first color I see when this snow melts!

(Sorry, guess it's Greydawn with the green one - too many posts to remember the story!)

[This message has been edited by mombo (edited 03-08-99).]

[This message has been edited by mombo (edited 03-08-99).]

Re: Currituck #18385 03/08/99 05:02 PM
R
Robert M Dick Offline
R
Mombo,

We haven't seen any snow for about three seasons. I'd love to see Currituck under a heavy snow.

Moby

I envy your white cover.

Moby
Re: Currituck #18386 03/08/99 10:59 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Greydawn's pictures arrived today so here's the two side-by-side:

I'm thinking this might be a flourescent light fade - uniformly in almost all areas because the overhead lighting spreads it around. There seems to be a color shift in the 'grass' area. Definitly a change in the brick walks around the house.

The bricks in between the black support stuctures - at the top of the lighthouse are about the same color in both. If the piece was lit from directly above, That would put those areas out of the direct effect of the flourescent.

Note also that colors of red or that include a lot of red tend to fade out first. Colors with more blue pigment take longer to fade.

Thanks for the photos, Jeff...

[This message has been edited by JChidester (edited 03-08-99).]

[This message has been edited by JChidester (edited 03-08-99).]

Re: Currituck #18387 03/08/99 11:44 PM
B
BuyGlass Offline
Wacko
Wacko
B
John, I haven't seen this question asked. Was Currituck one of the lighthouses that started out being made in Malaysia and then moved to China production? I know with Bald Head there is a definate paint color difference between the two. The Malaysian Tower is a Gray Color and the Chinese is more of a Tan.

SeAnDiEgO

[This message has been edited by BuyGlass (edited 03-08-99).]

Re: Currituck #18388 03/09/99 01:41 AM
G
Greydawn Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Thanks for your analysis John. I believe you are probably right about this piece. I had not considered the effect of fluorescent lighting. I was only thinking about direct sunlight causing the fading. So I believe we can put an end to this matter and move on to more important things, like my Hatteras with purple strips ( Just Kidding!! ). Thanks John.

Re: Currituck #18389 03/09/99 03:13 AM
Art Offline
Thanks for the photos, Jeff!

Good analysis, John. I too noticed the blue grass, the faded edition number and the peculiar difference between the tower and the spaces between the supports right away, but couldn't figure out why everything would be so uniformly faded. The diffused light of a flourescent tube source explains it nicely. I don't think this could happen with a point light source such as incandescent lamps or natural lighting.

For those who might be curious, my Currituck is close to the one on the right in the photos above, just a tad less reddish than as it appears on my monitor.

My piece matches the one on the right in the actual photos even better (Greydawn was good enough to send a set of photos to me as well).

There still appears to be a chance for a variation here, though. Does anyone out there have one that looks like the one in the 1998 catalog? Can we get some photos?

-Curious George

-Art
Re: Currituck #18390 03/09/99 12:19 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
What lessons are learned here?

1 Avoid buying displayed pieces if you can. Besides potential for fading, there's all those people handling it while on display.

2. If the store uses flourescent lighting, closely examine the display piece vs. an in-the-box version, if available. (Same is true if pieces are displayed in a store window.)

3. When ordering by phone/mail, ask the dealer if this piece is now or has been on display. If so, ask for the right to return it for a full refund. (Also ask if the piece is damaged or been repaired in any way - if told it is not, then ask for the right to return it if it is found to be damaged.)

4. Avoid flourescent lighting in the room where your Harbour Lights are displayed. It's my understanding that halogen bulbs and incandescent bulbs do not cause fading. YMMV

5. If you can see the sky through a window with your back to the display cabinet(s), then you potentially have a fading situation -- even if the sun doesn't shine directly on the Harbour Lights. Solution? Block the view to the sky with blinds, curtains, etc.

John [who needs to invest in blinds to follow my own advice]

Re: Currituck #18391 03/09/99 01:49 PM
O
orv Offline
O
FWIW Mine is like the one on the left. Will look at grass and rest of piece when I get home. Tower is definitely more like the one on the left. Mine may also be the victim of flourescent fading. In the future I will ask for a boxed piece if available. This is not always possible with retired pieces

------------------
ORV

ORV
Re: Currituck #18392 03/09/99 02:52 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Here's the kind of situation you want to avoid: Those are Harbour Lights displayed in the front window.

This is a new dealer caught between a rock and a hard place. The line draws people into the store, but they shouldn't be displayed in the window. What can you do?

Re: Currituck #18393 03/09/99 03:31 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Don't buy them!

Try and inform the store of what they are doing to the lighthouses.
They won't draw anybody in to the store when they are all faded out.

WackoPaul

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Currituck #18394 03/11/99 02:53 PM
R
Robert M Dick Offline
R
Fellow Collectors,

Bottom line is that we have a defective piece here. If it fades or changes color in normal flourescent lighting, then the paint and pigment are inadequate. I understand fading from direct intense sunlight, but indoor lighting of any type should not compromise the finished article.

My Currituck is in a darkened area. I love it faded or not.

Won't devalue my piece cause it's not for sale!

Moby

Moby
Re: Currituck #18395 03/11/99 03:17 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
I don't agree that the piece is defective, Moby. Flourescent lights can do more damage or at least as much as direct sun exposure.

Almost all paints fade in such exposure. (Automotive, aircraft excepted lately).

I think we're all agreeing now that this is NOT a variation, but the result of exposure to UV rays, whatever their source. If that was the way it was when originally purchased, I'd think the dealer would be responsible to replace it with another. But that dealer may not have another. I don't think the dealer should purchase one on the secondary market; I do think they should refund the purchase price.

Caveat emptor - When you're shopping for older pieces at stores, determine if this piece has been faded in anyway. A disappearing edition number is a tip-off. If you're buying by phone, ask specifically if the piece is faded and if the edition number is clearly visible. And ask for a return privilege if it is defective.

John

Re: Currituck #18396 03/11/99 05:06 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
This thread is getting lengthy but I thought I would put my two cents worth in.

Most of the enjoyment derived from HLs is being able to display and enjoy them. Fading will always be a distinct possibility. My suggestion is to do what I do, and that is to rotate the display. About every two weeks I remove all the HLs from the curios, clean the mirrored back and glass shelves, dust off each piece with a "blush brush", then replace them in either a different cabinet or different location in the same cabinet. I should note that the cabinets are not in direct sunlight during the middle of the day but do get some exposure when the sun first comes up.

Perhaps over time the colors might change a little but that's the price you pay if you want to enjoy the beauty of your collection. I have no desire to leave them in their boxes or to keep my blinds drawn when the suns out. They will be displayed for all to enjoy who enter my humble abode!

That's the word from the East Coast where it's still overcast and 36 degrees. ( )<><>{{

Re: Currituck #18397 03/11/99 05:38 PM
O
orv Offline
O
FWIW, You guys are the experts but I can not be in complete agreement that the color of my tower is due to fading. There is no fading on the edition # and the rest of the piece looks fine, grass is green, not bluish as the other photo shows. I also looked very carefully at the areas under the lip of the tower and it was all uniform. But I do agree this topic has gone on long enough. Somebody kill it!

------------------
ORV

ORV
Re: Currituck #18398 03/11/99 05:41 PM
S
Steve Offline
S
In addition to Bob's last post, I use fishnet on the shelves in my curios for a more nautical look to the display. Another benefit of the fishnet is that it helps absorb some of the curio's light so that ones not on the top shelf are not subject to the brightest light. But with the double flood lights with a built in dimmer, I can still have enough light to enjoy them.

Just an idea, although I don't feel the halogen lighting is as dangerous for the fading, but is still a concern for protecting my pieces.

Re: Currituck #18399 03/11/99 10:41 PM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
Real lighthouses fade why shouldn't the models. For the realistic look the hard core Wacko will take his model outside once in a while and expose it to the same elements as the big uns. The *really* hard core Wacko will take his model to where the real light is positioned to fade in truly authentic atmospheric conditions!

Rgds,
__
/im ('Dear - did you let Sand Island back in?')

Re: Currituck #18400 03/11/99 11:13 PM
L
LuvLights2 Offline
L
Quote:
The *really* hard core Wacko will take his model to where the real light is positioned to fade in truly authentic atmospheric conditions!

Does the " Real Wacko" repaint the lighthouse periodically. Don't get any ideas of ripping your CH off its base.

[This message has been edited by LuvLights2 (edited 03-11-99).]

[This message has been edited by LuvLights2 (edited 03-11-99).]

Re: Currituck #18401 03/12/99 03:04 AM
Art Offline
Ahh, the second law of thermodynamics prevails once again!

-Rudolph Clausius [Corollary to the second law of thermodynamics: All threads end up in the Fog Signal Building Forum or the Lighthouse Humor Forum]

-Art
Re: Currituck #18402 03/13/99 04:25 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
Thats obvious to anyone who realizes that Fog is simply congealed Humor...or is it the other way around?

Rgds,
__
/im (...this space for rent...)
[This message has been edited by JTimothyA (edited 03-13-99).]

Re: Currituck #18403 03/14/99 08:40 AM
Art Offline
Quote:
...Fog is simply congealed Humor...or is it the other way around?

That depends, I suppose, on how ethereal the humor is.

Subtly yours,

-Benjamin Thompson [adiabatically expanding the limits of Forum content]
[This message has been edited by Art (edited 03-14-99).]

-Art
Re: Currituck #18404 03/15/99 01:50 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
entropy happens

Re: Currituck #18405 03/15/99 03:22 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
OK, with that 'entrophy' this thread shall wither and die.

If we haven't solved or killed this Currituck thing, start another thread.

John

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,042 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users