Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Okay, Here Goes something...I Hope #184006 11/07/06 10:49 PM
Bigbird Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
Here's the pictures I promised; kept it to lighthouses, but see you allow flowers (of which I took quite a few), and also several other pics may interest people, like the canal, the scenery, the locals...but I'll stick to lights for now...

A faux light in the Shoreline Village area of Long Beach, CA called Lighthouse Park. Taken from the deck of the Queen Mary.

Angels Gate (Los Angeles Harbor) light departing from the San Pedro docks and taken from the deck of the ship as we head out to sea.

Steve

Health through education, for a much misguided nation!!
Re: Okay, Here Goes something...I Hope #184007 11/08/06 12:33 AM
Bigbird Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
Okay now, despite the humidity and lens condensa- tion, and not having a powerful lens to zoom in on the next one, here's the Huatulco (Wa-TOOL-co), Mexico lighthouse:

Looking from land towards the Pacific...behind me is the Huatulco Naval Base...and a guard to make sure no one takes a picture in that direction!

The humidity takes it's toll as the original was worse than this...thank heavens for picture doctoring software! Leaving the port of Huatulco

W/o the condensation, it's almost a good picture...on to Costa Rica!

Steve

Re: Okay, Here Goes something...I Hope #184008 11/08/06 01:17 AM
Cyndi Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Steve, You are making me home sick. I know that area well. My brother-in-law still lives in Long Beach. He was the only one who did not move to Tennessee on my husbands side of the family. I still have family that live in California.

Cyndi
Re: Okay, Here Goes something...I Hope #184009 11/08/06 09:57 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks for sharing the pics, Steve. I had never seen a pic of LA Harbor before. Keep them coming!

smile Bob smile

Re: Okay, Here Goes something...I Hope #184010 11/08/06 10:11 AM
Bigbird Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
Yeah, we were only there for 2 half and a whole day, so other than the LA/Hollywood tour, we just stayed local...nice area!

Now for the canal lights:

A little squatty blacked-out looking version. A little blurry, but the glass and the wrist stole my focus. :rolleyes:

...and another "blacked-out" (?) one hiding in the grass

LOOK, up on the hill...is that actually a WORKING light?? Well, actually, as we approached it, it was blinking, but was just a skeleton-type tower (kinda like a tower that holds the lights for the stage at an outdoor concert) with a flat day marker piece of sheet metal(?) strapped to it! Oh well, it WAS still a light...house.

...and this, is this Miraflores Locks light?

A bird house looking light that you found several places throughout.

...or is this one Miraflores???

...or this one???!?? Actually this is a different angle of the previous one.

More later.

Steve

Re: Okay, Here Goes something...I Hope #184011 11/09/06 03:12 AM
Bigbird Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
Okay, last 4 pics; 3 of the same light...

Another of the birdhouse looking lights...

Had a lot more of this one as we approached from different angels, but these are among the best 3 of the Gatun Locks lighthouse with it's new paint job:

A little view of the operations of the locks:

and the close up:

Unfortunately, due to not knowing where or when we would be going by others, I didn't see the one in Aruba (California Light) or the one in Klein, Curacao. This ends the lighthouse tour of my trip, but if anyone is interested in the tropical flowers, or any other pics, let me know...I have plenty, but need to scan them.

Steve

Re: Okay, Here Goes something...I Hope #184012 11/09/06 02:01 PM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Fun pics Steve. I've thought that one day I'll take a cruise through the Panama Canal.

If you docked in Oranjestad, Aruba...you would have to go to the other side of the island to see the California Lighthouse. I'm not sure if a cruise ship would go close by to see it from the water. Every time we have been in Aruba, our next stop has been Curacao and we haven't seen the lighthouse from the water.

We drove around the island to see the California Lighthouse.

Re: Okay, Here Goes something...I Hope #184013 11/09/06 02:07 PM
5lights Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Thanks for sharing with us Steve! I particularily like the Los Angeles Gate.

Debbie
Re: Okay, Here Goes something...I Hope #184014 11/09/06 03:27 PM
Bigbird Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by Lorie Roe:
If you docked in Oranjestad, Aruba...you would have to go to the other side of the island to see the California Lighthouse. I'm not sure if a cruise ship would go close by to see it from the water. Every time we have been in Aruba, our next stop has been Curacao and we haven't seen the lighthouse from the water.

We drove around the island to see the California Lighthouse.
Yeah, there's a site on line about the Panama canal cruise from I believe 2000 or 2003...can't remember, but there's a distant picture taken. They did a shorter cruise with most of the same but not all of the ports we did, but we thought with lack of time and already doing one tour, and the cost of a "Banana Bus" (actual school bus-type bus with a large banana on top), or a taxi, might be cost, if not time prohibitive. The Klein Beach is off the beach, but near Klein, Curacao apparently (which we were unaware of until hitting the shops and saw a postcard). Same thing in Curacao with an herb farm of all the local plants traditionally used medicinally from the ABC islands (Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao)...the cost to get in town to the Punda (point - shopping/downtown side) from the berthing docks was approx. $10 and wasn't that far...so the herb farm and museum was out of the question figuring 45 minutes away was cost prohibitive, and especially after the ladies got in their shopping wink , time prohibitive.

Steve

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,438 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users