Print Thread
Manitowoc, Wisconsin's North Breakwater Light #183529 02/12/02 09:04 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My Wisconsin lighthouse adventures usually begin in Manitowoc where the SS Badger, the car ferry that I take across the lake from Ludington berths on the Wisconsin side.

The Manitowoc North Pier light is at the end of the long north breakwater. Good views of it are to be had as the Badger makes port in Manitowoc. From the shore, good views are to be had from the north side of the harbor (follow the signs to the US submarine Cobia also berthed at the harbor). The light is quite a distance out and a long lens will come in handy. Photos of the light in the warm early evening light work well, giving it a rosy glow. The photo just below was shot with a handheld 300mm lens.

Continuing north along the shore of Lake Michigan toward Two Rivers affords a number of vantage points for the light. Another 300mm shot from one of these vantage points is shown just below. Although it may look like it was shot on a full moon night, this very high contrast shot was taken with the sun almost directly overhead near noon last October. The exposure conditions were 1/6400th sec, at f4 with a 300 mm lens at the matrix meter reading of the camera. By the meter interpreting the bright light as "normal" it gave what I thought was an interesting "moonlight' effect.

I have a couple more shots of the Manitowoc light taken from the Badger on my way home the last time I was in Wisconsin that I'll post after I get them scanned, hopefully later tonight. I also have some shots of theh little south breakwater marker that I'll post for those who want to catch every light when the go lighthouseing in Door County this summer.

Gary

[This message has been edited by lighthouse_photo (edited 02-12-2002).]

Re: Manitowoc, Wisconsin's North Breakwater Light #183530 02/13/02 12:35 AM
B
Bud Schrader Offline
Wacko
Wacko
B
Gary, I've thought about taking the ferry this summer, but I haven't put an itinerary together for this trip yet. Any suggestions? Whoops, wrong forum!

------------------
Bud Schrader

Bud
Re: Manitowoc, Wisconsin's North Breakwater Light #183531 02/13/02 12:41 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
More photos of Manitowoc... from the deck of the Badger waiting to steam back across the big pond to Ludington last October, which is a vantage point most of the Wacko's probably won't get to have....

Looking back the 15 min length of the north breakwater...

Although taken on a grey, overcast day from the deck of the Badger while headed into Manitowoc after a rough 5 1/2 hour (normal is 4 hrs) crossing last Octobe, this photo shows better detail of the light than those shot in bright sun.

The last photo is one of the Manitowoc south breakwater light taken the same day as the previous photo. This light is also accessible by following the signs to the Lake Michigan Car Ferry, parking along the shore, and then simply walking out the pier.

So much for the photo ops for Manitowoc's North and South Breakwater lights. I'll see if I can find a map segment that gives enough detail to post on here for those who want to print copies of this for driving directions when the go to Door County in June.

Gary

[This message has been edited by lighthouse_photo (edited 02-12-2002).]

Re: Manitowoc, Wisconsin's North Breakwater Light #183532 02/13/02 12:50 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Bud,
I'd highly recommend the car ferry... a lot of additional lighthousing opportunities if you do.

I assume you'd come across Michigan on I-94, where you have a bunch of alternative routes up to Ludington.

If you take I-94 to Benton Harbor/St Joseph, you can catch the St. Joe's light and then work your way up the coast and see South Haven, Big Red in Holland, Grand Haven, White River, Muskegon, Little Sable, and then the Ludington Pier light near the ferry terminal and just about 2 miles north and a 1 mile walk, Big Sable Point. If you're into whirlwind, you can do that in a day, but it's a very lonnnnnnnnnnnnnng day! I'd recommend allowing yourself 2 days to do the Lake Michigan shore from St Joe's to Ludington.

The ferry ride across is always great in my opinion, and it gives you some views of Manitowoc that you can't get any other way. The other MAJOR PLUS as far as I'm concerned is that it cuts about 8 hrs of driving off getting to Manitowoc if you go around the bottom of the lake and through Chicago. Well worth considering I think.

Let me know if you would like any additional info on the ferry or the Michigan lights here in my "back yard."

Gary

Re: Manitowoc, Wisconsin's North Breakwater Light #183533 02/13/02 01:58 AM
B
Bud Schrader Offline
Wacko
Wacko
B
Gary, we actually were in your back yard in late Oct. We saw Mich. City, St. Joseph, South Haven, Holland, Grand Haven, Muskegon, White River, and Little Sable. (some more than once, in hopes of getting better shots) Of course we were in the area for 3 days, that would be a bit much for a day trip! All those lights have their own "personalities"- it would be hard to pick a favorite.

------------------
Bud Schrader

Bud
Re: Manitowoc, Wisconsin's North Breakwater Light #183534 02/13/02 03:12 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Bud,

Sorry I missed you here in late October. Actually, I caught the ferry to Wisconsin for one last trip to Door County at that time and had several days of the most spectacular sunrises that I've seen in a very long time!!!! Next time you're coming over this way, let me know and I'll be happy to play host out at the lake. Always love to have an excuse to go out and photograph the lights. Ask Terry!

Gary

Re: Manitowoc, Wisconsin's North Breakwater Light #183535 02/13/02 10:44 AM
Shirin Offline
I would recomend the car ferry route to visit this light. There is a bird sanctuary on the walk out to the light. And well, birds will be birds...and they leave such wonderful presents.
As for driving directions, I used the book by Ken and Barb Wardius - Wisconsin Lighthouses: A Photographic and Historical Guide. I used their directions and was able to get to 20 lights in under 2 days.

shirin

Shirin

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Dave H), 1,191 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users