cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Good Photo Reference Books? #183130 05/19/02 12:59 AM
Handyman Offline OP
OP Offline
Anyone have some good educational books to recommend? I just finished _Night and Low Light Photography_ by Lee Frost. I enjoyed it and picked up a few good pointers here and there. I think my starter book was _The Basic Book of Photography_ by the Grimms. I liked that one as well, as a good overview.

Re: Good Photo Reference Books? #183131 05/27/02 11:25 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Chris,
There are some good books out there, and there are some that I sort of scratch my head and wonder why they were written. Anyway, for landscape photography, there is an excellent book, "Photographing the Landscape" by John Fielder. John Shaw also has a good book on landscape photography, along with a number of others. One that might be particularly helpful is "The Nature Photographer's Complete Guide to Professional Field Techniques." Hope these help some.

Gary

Re: Good Photo Reference Books? #183132 05/28/02 04:24 AM
Handyman Offline OP
OP Offline
Another book I found recently found valuable was _The Confused Photographer's Guide to On Camera Spotmetering_ by Bahman Farzad. It's a programmed text that I thought really help to clarify the basics of metering.

It inspired me to finally turn my camera to full manual and shoot away. I went to Sandy Hook at sunrise last week, and to be extra bold I shot my first ever roll of slide film. Should be ready tomorrow - I'll let you know how it looks!

(I would add to my essential list of lighthouse photographer supplies gloves, because it was about 35 degrees and the fingers weren't functioning well!)

Re: Good Photo Reference Books? #183133 05/28/02 08:18 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Chris, check around... there are gloves out there (I have a couple of pairs) that are half fingers with a mitten outer covering that is velcro'd in place on one side and a part of the glove on the top of the hand. You just peel the velcro, your fingertips are free to manipulate the camera and your hand stays more or less warm. Takes only a second to open or close the mitten. They're great on subzero days out at Lake Michigan when I photograph!!!

Gary

Re: Good Photo Reference Books? #183134 06/22/02 07:09 PM
1of3trees@prodigy.net Offline
On Gary's recommendation, I bought a pair of these mitten-gloves for when I went to MI last December. I didn't wind up using them because it wasn't cold enough to do so, but I do have them to use for those real cold days!

------------------
Terry (Only my mother, brothers & sisters call me Teresa) Forrest

Terry (Only my mother, brothers & sisters call me Teresa) Forrest

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,979
Posts184,641
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Dave H, fiksegts), 1,585 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users